As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Guns] FIRE EVERYTHING!

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Went out Tuesday and had some fun with antiques. Tokarev TT-33 and its ridiculous kick. Shooting at 30 feet it was surprisingly accurate, Korean War-era ammo issues aside. When a round didn't decide to make its own way, it'd make a 5 round 3 inch group.

5QJcRbR.jpg

Next, a low 300,000 serial M1911, manufactured between May and October of 1918. The sight's obviously not original, and it had a "competition" trigger added to it sometime in the 50s, which had a ridiculously light pull so switching from the TT-33 was an interesting experience.

Previously the property of a brigadier general who served in Korea and Vietnam, given to him by his father, whos sidearm it was originally. Accurate. Once you realize the sight is either installed incorrectly, or whoever was using it to target shoot liked to sight differently. Put the blade at the top of the sight notch, and you hit 6 inches over the paper. Put the top of the blade at the bottom of the sight notch, and it's dead on.

irds9Rw.jpg

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    musanmanmusanman Registered User regular

Next, a low 300,000 serial M1911, manufactured between May and October of 1918. The sight's obviously not original, and it had a "competition" trigger added to it sometime in the 50s, which had a ridiculously light pull so switching from the TT-33 was an interesting experience.

Previously the property of a brigadier general who served in Korea and Vietnam, given to him by his father, whos sidearm it was originally. Accurate. Once you realize the sight is either installed incorrectly, or whoever was using it to target shoot liked to sight differently. Put the blade at the top of the sight notch, and you hit 6 inches over the paper. Put the top of the blade at the bottom of the sight notch, and it's dead on.

irds9Rw.jpg

I also have a WW1 era 1911. Mine has the original sights, but the guy who owned it worked at a nickel plating shop so guess what happened to this one. I've thought about having it stripped and coated to look original, but everybody who's looked at it says I'd really be rolling the dice on quality control...so it's gonna stay how it is.

The tiny front blade is pretty useless, so you're lucky that way.

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Very nice, always good to see an old 1911 that did its part in the fight for freedom.

My new LCR .38 Special/.357 Magnum. Put a bigger grip on it cuz I don't like having my little finger hanging off the bottom of the grip. My hand still hurts from the .357 ammo I fired thru it, but 100 rounds of .38 Special were a breeze.

m0v2czu5czhq.jpeg

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Very nice, always good to see an old 1911 that did its part in the fight for freedom.

My new LCR .38 Special/.357 Magnum. Put a bigger grip on it cuz I don't like having my little finger hanging off the bottom of the grip. My hand still hurts from the .357 ammo I fired thru it, but 100 rounds of .38 Special were a breeze.

m0v2czu5czhq.jpeg

What's the accuracy on that?

I had the Ruger 357/38 with the 4 inch barrel and that thing was nice, but I was afraid to go with the snub nose because I figured it would be useless past 10 yards.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Shot it at 5 and 10 yards, it's about what you'd expect. .357 Magnum was tough after the first shot to bring the barrel back on target, but .38 Special was fine. .357 will get better with practice. Indoor range that goes out to 15 yards, but I wouldn't expect to hit with accuracy beyond 10.

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Snubs are great at what they are designed for, essentially contact self defense. No slide to get caught on clothing or go out of battery in a contact situation, minimalist sights so they don't snag on the draw. I love my Rossi .38spl for pocket carry type situations, just drop it in and go.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    There are lots of Youtube videos of Hickok45 and Jerry Miculek shooting bullseyes at 20 yards plus with snubnose revolvers, but those guys are insane.

• Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    I bought a Vepr in x39

hIJSTIz.jpg

It'll almost be a shame when I convert this because its some crazy nice wood.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    I just bought a complete lower from PSA, this is on top of the stripped lower I bought a few months ago I've done nothing with. I think I may have a problem.

• Options
    edited September 2016
    The only problem is you didnt buy a stack of them when they were $40 a year ago.

I also recommend picking up a few BCGs when they go on sale since those were the one component that was unobanium during the last panic. I'm sure production capabilities have caught up but still.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    [Paragon][Paragon] I'm a real doctor, for pretend! North DakotaRegistered User regular
    Picked up the lower today, then decided I needed to just go ahead and finish it off with a complete mid-length upper from PSA as well, and a 15 inch midwest industries free float mlok lightweight hand guard (snagged a new gas tube and a lo pro gasblock from MI as well to go with it)

• Options
    oOzeZz4.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I stockpiled AR lowers last year when they were cheap as shit and now my FFL asked ME if I could sell HIM one lol

what a time to be alive

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Got a G3 Glock 30 with ammo and cash in trade from a friend for my AR. It truly is an interesting time to be alive.

This is actually the first Glock I have ever owned.

6pdrj1er0p4x.jpg

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Mossberg-MVP-Predator-Centerfire-Rifle-Package&i=694293
    http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Mossberg-MVP-Varmint-Centerfire-Rifle-Package&i=694282
    http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=782457

Trying to decide between these - I'm looking for a .223 bolt gun purely for target shooting. I was at GM today and they didn't have either of the Mossbergs to look at, but they did have an Axis II in .223. Supposedly they're tack drivers with a good trigger, but I have to say I wasn't impressed with the build quality of the gun otherwise. On the other hand, with a 3x9 Weaver from Savage it's $390 out the door at my local Gander Mountain, plus the rebate. I wonder if the Mossbergs would reflect a similar drop from the online price.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    NSDFRandNSDFRand FloridaRegistered User regular
    I've only heard good things about Savage. If I had to choose between the two Mossbergs I would probably go with the predator but I'd rather go with a .308 or .30-06 bolt action than a .223.

• Options
    SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    NSDFRand wrote: »
    I've only heard good things about Savage. If I had to choose between the two Mossbergs I would probably go with the predator but I'd rather go with a .308 or .30-06 bolt action than a .223.

I've got a stunning free DNR range like 10 minutes away, but it only goes out to 100 yards. .223 is about half the price from what I understand, and while the recoil of .30 caliber stuff doesn't bother me I'm hoping it'll be a bit easier on the ears.

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

I've got a stunning free DNR range like 10 minutes away, but it only goes out to 100 yards. .223 is about half the price from what I understand, and while the recoil of .30 caliber stuff doesn't bother me I'm hoping it'll be a bit easier on the ears.

.223 is def cheaper. You can get some for ~20 cents a round if you go with cheaper Wolf steel cased. If you reload you could probably get about the same price per shot with brass. The cheapest .308 is still about twice that much last I looked which is why I shoot my Mini and AR a lot more often than I shoot the PTR.

edit: Also what keeps prices down is ordering bulk. So if you grab a case of 1000 you're going to get the ~20 c/r price, but it will increase slightly if you buy only a few boxes.

NSDFRand on
  • Options
    Arent mossberg rifles (as opposed to their shotguns) supposed to be crap? If not the savage, check out the Ruger American or a CZ

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Basticle wrote: »
    Arent mossberg rifles (as opposed to their shotguns) supposed to be crap? If not the savage, check out the Ruger American or a CZ

Apparently they were previously, but they've supposedly gotten it together a bit recently with Savage pushing competition in the market through the AccuTrigger. The Mossberg MVP has a clone of the AccuTrigger in it. The stocks are way nicer, trigger is the same, bolt operation is much cleaner, IIRC they're free-floated from the factory. Only thing I don't like is the bolt as designed will wobble at the end of the bolt pull. An MVP base model by itself is like $600 though, the Savage Axis II with a 3x9 on it is 409, 379 with an easy rebate (I wish rebates on computer hardware were this nice - cut out the UPC from the box, send it in with the store receipt, I've got until the end of the year to do it).

I did wind up picking up that Savage, but it's an ugly gun. I'm hoping putting some range time in will clean up the bolt, and I'll have to see about getting an aftermarket stock for it.

They had a used, mint condition Marlin something-or-other there. .270, synthetic stock, but with an aftermarket rail section on top holding a cheapy 3x9. They wanted $400 for it, but I wasn't familiar with .270. Glad I skipped that - I was thinking really hard about it at the time, nicer stock and bolt on it, but I want something easier shooting. Looks like Marlin copied the AccuTrigger too.

SummaryJudgment on
  • Options
    IIRC .270 is a long distance shooting cartridge alongside something like .300 WinMag.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I'd been wanting a compact .45 for a while, and so been doing research. Had waffled between Glock, M&P, XD and today just so happened to be browsing at Cabela's and I see a very lightly used Kahr CM45 for a reasonable price.

So I bought it. And I'm going to shoot it on Sunday, but wondering if anybody has any ammo recommendations for this particular model.

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    I'd been wanting a compact .45 for a while, and so been doing research. Had waffled between Glock, M&P, XD and today just so happened to be browsing at Cabela's and I see a very lightly used Kahr CM45 for a reasonable price.

So I bought it. And I'm going to shoot it on Sunday, but wondering if anybody has any ammo recommendations for this particular model.

Well for the good news I can say that my Kahr might be the nicest gun I own and should have no problem running whatever you feed it.

The bad news is that thing is going to be...not...comfortable to shoot...but have fun!

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    I am eagerly awaiting Sunday to go shoot it.

Could it be as bad as the S&W 340PD running .357?

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Anyone have a good concealed holster recommendation for a Glock 23? Not a huge fan of the one I have now, just kind of polling around to see if anyone has one they like.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    What do you have now and how do you prefer to carry with a holster?

• Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular

So tempted to make a strapless dress joke...

• Options
    Rchanen wrote: »

So tempted to make a strapless dress joke...

I mean, then you're looking at a purse, unless it kept your ankles concealed to trust an ankle holster.

I'm assuming if it's strapless it's probably fitted enough where a belly wrap isn't the way to go.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    The Smart Carry holster is really the only concealment option that works with slim fitted clothing, where any bulge is obvious.
    http://www.smartcarry.com/shop-concealed-carry-holsters/
    But if you wear loose clothing, or can wear a jacket, the key is the belt. Get a leather Kore trackline gun belt - a metal buckle, leather belt with a plastic stiffener insert, adjustable a quarter inch at a time, it blends into any occasion. Check out the Youtube reviews by Yankee Marshall & Hegshot87, both of whom wore the belt for several months.
    https://www.koreessentials.com/collections/gun-belts

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    This is my current carry piece, a Glock 23 Gen4. It's the third Glock I've owned and I've loved every one. I know they aren't the sexy choice these days but I trust them with my life, in a very real sense I guess.

7hofdpwplx0o.jpg

The top two magazines are just some basic 180 gr FMJ range rounds. The bottom magazine is the one I carry and it has 155 gr Federal PD Hydra-Shok's. I know .40 S&W is kind of a controversial round but I've always enjoyed it. It's a snappy round (which is well documented) but I'm accurate with it and I prefer it over the .45 (blasphemy, I know).

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    mypQOs9.jpg

Partyway through converting.

Handguard fitted and installed. Mag catch filed down and all mags fit great.

Stock parts coming this weekend and then when my machinist buddy is free we're gonna do the threat protector and bullet guide.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    @GnomeTank

I like .40 as well. I have a Sig Pro 2022 that is awesome. I've considered swapping the guide rod for a heavier one to compensate for the "snappiness" but in all honesty, it shoots better than I can

• Options
    You .40 guys are the worst. I don't have much else to say really.

sic2sig.jpg
  • Options
    I accept all calibers as having a proper application

• Options
    Back from the gun range.

The Kahr CM45 performed fairly reliably. Shot about 100 rounds, had two FTE's. Gun was filthy, and ammo was dirty. Recoil is very manageable, puts rounds on target. Like I usually say, it is a better shooter than I.

Wife went with me, she shot the Sig and the Kahr, Kahr was easier due to overall size, but she didn't care for the sights. Rented a S&W Shield in 9mm and she shot much better with that.

Next time we go I'd like her to try out some other compacts in 9mm.

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    I learned about the silly joy of bump-fire stocks/grips this week, and on a certain level they scratch my mechanical engineering spot in the best way (even if they're not especially practical).

• Options
    Bump-fire stocks are a dumb solution to a dumb problem (closing of civilian MG registry via Hughes Amendment).

• Options
    Emissary42Emissary42 Registered User regular
    Bump-fire stocks are a dumb solution to a dumb problem (closing of civilian MG registry via Hughes Amendment).

Oh, they're very impractical. I'm just amused that they work as well as they do despite how macguyver the solution is.

• Options
    uiHEid6.jpg

So American it hurts

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

There is absolutely NO scenario where a civilian needs a full-auto "machine gun". It's not a dumb problem at all.

This discussion has been closed.