Options

Fallout New Vegas: [INT\CHA <2] FIGHT THE GOOD FIGHT, WITH THEIR WORDS NARF DARF

• Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I started a new game with the intent to say "Fuck NCR" from the outset.

Let me tell you, it really does completely break the game.

There are no questlines that will lead you towards Legion to be able to have some things to do to level up.

Continuing the main storyline quests brings you into contact with NCR several times where your only option is to kill them. This puts you deeper in rep debt with NCR and at the same time kills off more quest givers.

The game subtly hints that going against NCR is a bad idea when it begins to
    send Ranger teams out warning you that they will kill you in three days if you don't do something about your rep.

Basically I'm at a point now that the only places I can go without being killed outright are New Vegas and Freeside. I have no idea where to find Legion (within the confines of the game) or if finding Legion will allow me to quest again. I can pop in and out of areas and kill and loot things for exp, or my only quest option now is to continue the main story.

Definitely not something you want to do for a first or probably even second playthrough, and to me, that doesn't seem right.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Jintor wrote: »
    You bastard. I locked up the thing because the game glitches if you finish a quest a certain way and then do something that was related to the quest.
    Specifically, if you finish the Elder's missions, then turn him in to Harkin for breaking protocol, neither of the two will enter into dialogue proper with you ever again, screwing over any chance of joining the Brotherhood or of a peaceful resolution.

I love this game hardcore but goddamn is it buggy.

Actually
    If the dialogue is about preparing a defence/bringing a case against the elder. If you just leave the bunker and come back after a few days Hardin will be the elder and give you a new quest.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ImperiusV wrote: »
    I have two questions regarding followers.

1. What is up with the zombie walk glitch? After Boone got knocked out by boomer howitzers, he walked with slack arms, a cocked head, and bendy knees (He sneaks normally, though). Doing some
    torture
    in Camp McCarran's sidequests fixed him. What was that all about?

2. I think I found a perfect way to workaround the glitch where followers never report to the lucky 38: release them when you are already in the suite. My theory is that they walk there in real time, and might get corpse camped by deathclaws on the way, so I made it safe and quick for them.

in relation to quesiton 1, he obviously had a crippled leg, thats what happens when you get one, and then ..he got better.

Deaderinred on
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Dang, that Bartertown mod sounds pretty cool.
    Still haven't found a mod that makes weapon mods less rare. The only one I've found puts them on every vendor. I don't want that.. I want enemies to drop them occasionally. I want stores to sell them more often, but not always.. Someone make that mod. :P

Rizzi on
  • Options
    ConfuseousPrimeConfuseousPrime Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Quick question regarding Cass' quest for those that might have done it already:
    Heartache by the Numbers

Does resolving the matter peacefully bar you from trading with the Crimson Caravan and the Family? I figure they may not like you turning them into the NCR, so possibly? I am heavily invested in Energy Weapons so I'd hate to lose that contact, and I'm also not quite done with a few other quests that the Caravan gives.

Thanks!

ConfuseousPrime on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Demiurge wrote: »
    If the dialogue is about preparing a defence/bringing a case against the elder. If you just leave the bunker and come back after a few days Hardin will be the elder and give you a new quest.

I finished almost every other sidequest in the game and scouted every damn location while waiting for Harkin to update.

Also, I've visited like a million locations with Gannon and he won't goddamn give me his companion quest either. This blows.

/edit re:Cass
    Peaceful resolution lets you trade with 'em, yeah.

Jintor on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I mentioned it briefly in the other thread, but I really like Mr. House's backstory.
    The fact that his company is responsible for all those terminals you've been hacking into is great. I also liked hearing about how he had his own personal anti-nuke system. What was even cooler was how I heard about it from Raul first; I like being able to converse with people who were around in the pre-war days. He said something like "I remember when the nukes fell, and even I could see Mr. House's defense system shooting down the missiles as they came in." And then hearing Mr. House's precise account of it was even better.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    (spoiler tree trimmed)

It's the main camp you get to taking the raft from Cottonwood Cove to The Fort.

How do you get that raft to move? I tried hopping on it last night but I could find no options to get it to take me anywhere.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Ugh, I appear to have lost Arcade(big Arcade spoilers)
    I just completed his mission(For Auld Lang Syne) and he left my party after I'd talked to the Enclave Remnant. I received a message saying that he had returned to Freeside before he came back in full Tesla Armor(just outside the Enclave base), at which point he talked for a bit. I couldn't recruit him again at this point and after I ended the conversation he took two steps towards the Enclave bunker and vanished. He is now neither in the bunker or at Freeside.

Any help?

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • Options
    mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    (spoiler tree trimmed)

How do you get that raft to move? I tried hopping on it last night but I could find no options to get it to take me anywhere.
    If you've accepted Caesar's invite, there'll be a guy who can take you on the boat. If you've killed everyone, you should be able to just look at the boat and activate it

mr-razzcocks on
  • Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    I've been putting points into speech and science, but they always come up 2-4 points short of any threshold. It's dumb because those points aren't doing me much good outside those quest moments and Im weaker combat wise than I should be. I wish it was a chance thing. Like the more points you have the more likely you are to pass that check up to 100%.

It's frustrating. :x

wobblyheadedbob on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh fuck.

I just realized that my brotherhood resolution and my NCR resolution aren't compatible.

Goddammit, I don't want to kill these people.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I've been putting points into speech and science, but they always come up 2-4 points short of any threshold. It's dumb because those points aren't doing me much good outside those quest moments and Im weaker combat wise than I should be. I wish it was a chance thing. Like the more points you have the more likely you are to pass that check up to 100%.

You can usually back out of the conversation and come back when you have better skills.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »

You can usually back out of the conversation and come back when you have better skills.

Yeah but then I have to level and keep track of which skills for which quest and... sigh.

Oh well.

wobblyheadedbob on
  • Options
    Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    (spoiler tree trimmed)

If you've accepted Caesar's invite, there'll be a guy who can take you on the boat. If you've killed everyone, you should be able to just look at the boat and activate it

So you're telling me that I need to kill more Legionnaires?

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So are there any schematics in the game? I haven't found a single one to build unique weapons like in FO3.

Maybe I'm just not in the know and they don't exist?

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    (spoiler tree trimmed)

So you're telling me that I need to kill more Legionnaires?

Well, I didn't actually mean EVERYONE, but whatever makes you feel more comfortable stealing a raft, man

mr-razzcocks on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    yes there are schematics

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Beltaine wrote: »
    I started a new game with the intent to say "Fuck NCR" from the outset.

Let me tell you, it really does completely break the game.

There are no questlines that will lead you towards Legion to be able to have some things to do to level up.

Continuing the main storyline quests brings you into contact with NCR several times where your only option is to kill them. This puts you deeper in rep debt with NCR and at the same time kills off more quest givers.

The game subtly hints that going against NCR is a bad idea when it begins to
    send Ranger teams out warning you that they will kill you in three days if you don't do something about your rep.

Basically I'm at a point now that the only places I can go without being killed outright are New Vegas and Freeside. I have no idea where to find Legion (within the confines of the game) or if finding Legion will allow me to quest again. I can pop in and out of areas and kill and loot things for exp, or my only quest option now is to continue the main story.

Definitely not something you want to do for a first or probably even second playthrough, and to me, that doesn't seem right.

Yeah, I'm in pretty much the exact same position as you. I wanted to join up with the Legion from the moment I woke up in Goodsprings, but I just wasn't able to gain a foothold with them. The game leads you away from them at every turn, and I had to go against what my character would do, and work with the NCR for a majority of the game, just to get some quests done.
    I even strolled into Camp Nelson and offered up my services to Dead Sea. He told me to go wipe out Camp Forlorn Hope, so I did. But all that got me was the hatred of the NCR: I didn't gain any Legion reputation at all. I figured he'd point me in Caesar's direction or something, so I could start the chain of quests to join them, but no. He literally just told me I did them a solid and that I should keep up the good work someplace else.

So I was forced to scrap my personal narrative and head straight to New Vegas to start the chain off the way the developers intended. And since I've spent the majority of the game helping the NCR, now I feel really awkward siding up with the Legion. It was really handled poorly, in my opinion.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    So are there any schematics in the game? I haven't found a single one to build unique weapons like in FO3.

I found a schematic... for Brahmin Wellington

I don't think there are any weapon schematics in this game. Why would you need make your own weapons when the Gun Runners are right there?

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    So Helios glitch?
    So me and Boone roll in there, and get the quest to allign the arrays. Step out the back door and as soon as the area loads I hear what sounds like a pipe falling on the ground. Next thing I know two mole rats and four named dogs pop out of the the ground send Boone flying knocking him out. They wrecked my shit pretty bad but I managed to kill them and not die.

WTF happened?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Behemoth wrote: »

I don't think there are any weapon schematics in this game. Why would you need make your own weapons when the Gun Runners are right there?

They're cheap to make and worth a lot.

I didn't see a list on Wikia, anyone know of more locations?

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Behemoth wrote: »

They're cheap to make and worth a lot.

I didn't see a list on Wikia, anyone know of more locations?

Powder Charge (simple land mine):
    I found it in a prison cell converted into a weapons storage room in the NCR Correctional Facility

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    GalactusGoGalactusGo Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    any tips for getting arcades quest to prompt? Im getting nothing.

GalactusGo on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    So Helios glitch?
    So me and Boone roll in there, and get the quest to allign the arrays. Step out the back door and as soon as the area loads I hear what sounds like a pipe falling on the ground. Next thing I know two mole rats and four named dogs pop out of the the ground send Boone flying knocking him out. They wrecked my shit pretty bad but I managed to kill them and not die.

WTF happened?

Don't want to alarm you with some incredibly shocking ews, but it appears this is a Fallout game that has glitches.

I know, right? They're usually 100% bug free.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ben0207 wrote: »
    So Helios glitch?

WTF happened?

Don't want to alarm you with some incredibly shocking ews, but it appears this is a Fallout game that has glitches.

I know you didn't mean too, but that ews shocked the hell out of me.

E: I mean really, that is too much yuck for one person to handle, you should know better.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Bugs? Ewes? You mean scorpions DON'T have the power of mole men and shouldn't be burrowing through the earth?
    Wow... just... wow.

jefe414 on
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    blikbok wrote: »
    Overview:

Make a Crimson Caravan Tailor. This will be an NPC in the Caravan camp that will offer up gathering quests to make certain armors that are either very hard to get, or make better versions of cool armor.
    Sound interesting?

We need more mods that fit into and enhance the atmosphere of the game without breaking it.
    ...Or making all Oblivion/Fallout players look like pervs. I'm looking at you, Adult Section of Fallout Nexus.

Well, a good portion of them probably are. So, you know, if the shoe fits?

I'll agree with your assessment, though--we do need more of those kinds of mods.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm doing my damndest to try and understand how the Legion is a serious threat to the NCR, and I just can't seem to do it. I can certainly see how they're a threat to Mojave: they roll in at night to sack a town, and in the morning, everyone's been nailed to a cross, set on fire, or hauled off to slavery. Those kind of tactics work really well for them, but it's not going to work against a properly defended structure: the Legion can't hit-and-run the Hoover Dam.
    Hell, half the Legion refuses to even use guns. Or painkillers.

Also, I can't figure out why the NCR doesn't just go smash the ever-loving shit out of Caesar's camp. I've been to the Fort, I've seen its defenses:
    A single howitzer that doesn't even work.

According to the wiki, the NCR has a small fleet of vertibirds. A small fleet. How could the Legion stand up to that kind of air support? Hell, how could it stand up to even a single vertibird? I just don't get it.

Again, I totally get how they're a tribe that should be feared throughout the wastelands, but I can't wrap my head around how they're supposed to be a serious threat to the New California Republic. Sure, the NCR is spread pretty thin in Mojave, and they're not as capable of defending their territories as they could be, but that's because they're diverting all their forces to the Hoover Dam -- which, yeah, I just can't imagine them losing in the first place.

Let's imagine Legate Lanius is at the head of the Legion, storming the Dam with his big ass sword. How close does it get before he's sniped off? Half a mile, maybe? I just don't buy that the threat they pose is legitimate to an organization like the NCR. Maybe I'm missing something.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    How well does any well equipped armed force do against hit and run tactics? The answer is: not well. Look at current global confilcts. Now, I'm ignoring the Legion base camp (yeah, it has to sit there not moving since it's a RPG and you as the player need to be able to find the damn thing).

jefe414 on
  • Options
    ImperiusVImperiusV Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Oh fuck.

I just realized that my brotherhood resolution and my NCR resolution aren't compatible.

I had the same problem. I was silly. For the brotherhood quests:
    Don't change leadership. The old guy can truce with the NCR. The new guy can't. In fact, is there any upside to letting Hardin be leader? Everything he can do oldy can do better.

ImperiusV on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    NCR/Brotherhood
    Maybe the Brotherhood should stop equipping their bunkers with automated turrets that could literally slaughter their entire chapter. I fired maybe three shots during the cleansing.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    ImperiusV wrote: »
    Oh fuck.

I had the same problem. I was silly. For the brotherhood quests:
    Don't change leadership. The old guy can truce with the NCR. The new guy can't. In fact, is there any upside to letting Hardin be leader? Everything he can do oldy can do better.
    Yeah, I did the Brotherhood stuff before the NCR stuff.
    So I made Hardin the leader. He fast tracks you to Brotherhood membership and power armor training. The other guy makes you do several fetch quests first.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited October 2010
    jefe414 wrote: »
    How well does any well equipped armed force do against hit and run tactics? The answer is: not well. Look at current global confilcts. Now, I'm ignoring the Legion base camp (yeah, it has to sit there not moving since it's a RPG and you as the player need to be able to find the damn thing).

"Hit-and-Run" may have been a bad way to describe it. Sure, in conventional warfare, you've got to give the edge to guerilla tactics over a conventional standing army. Small forces can use unconventional warfare to wreak absolute havoc on enemy supply lines and can really smash morale as well. Again, I can totally see how the Legion is a threat to the people of Mojave, and to isolated NCR outposts every now and then, but I simply can't see how they're a threat to the NCR as a whole. I can't imagine them making a serious push for the Hoover Dam -- it's simply too fortified a position for a tribe like the Legion to overcome.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    BorysBorys Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    milk ducks wrote: »
    I'm doing my damndest to try and understand how the Legion is a serious threat to the NCR, and I just can't seem to do it. I can certainly see how they're a threat to Mojave: they roll in at night to sack a town, and in the morning, everyone's been nailed to a cross, set on fire, or hauled off to slavery. Those kind of tactics work really well for them, but it's not going to work against a properly defended structure: the Legion can't hit-and-run the Hoover Dam.
    Hell, half the Legion refuses to even use guns. Or painkillers.

Also, I can't figure out why the NCR doesn't just go smash the ever-loving shit out of Caesar's camp. I've been to the Fort, I've seen its defenses:
    A single howitzer that doesn't even work.

According to the wiki, the NCR has a small fleet of vertibirds. A small fleet. How could the Legion stand up to that kind of air support? Hell, how could it stand up to even a single vertibird? I just don't get it.

Again, I totally get how they're a tribe that should be feared throughout the wastelands, but I can't wrap my head around how they're supposed to be a serious threat to the New California Republic. Sure, the NCR is spread pretty thin in Mojave, and they're not as capable of defending their territories as they could be, but that's because they're diverting all their forces to the Hoover Dam -- which, yeah, I just can't imagine them losing in the first place.

Let's imagine Legate Lanius is at the head of the Legion, storming the Dam with his big ass sword. How close does it get before he's sniped off? Half a mile, maybe? I just don't buy that the threat they pose is legitimate to an organization like the NCR. Maybe I'm missing something.

I am at work and cannot possibly check the game now but doesn't Ceasar or one of his generals (or hell even the game's intro tells you how NCR defended Hoover Dam from Legion in the past) admit that they lost to NCR in the past just because of their snipers? He knows they are a threat. The cannon fodder - meaning normal NCR Troops - are no match for skilled Legionaires, it's the NCR Rangers sniping from a distance that massacre his army. That's why he needs every help it can get to kill them from a distance.

He even says it is akin to breaking the beast's teeth. Without them, the beast is worth nothing.

So yeah you are right, NCR domninates Legion but still is too pussy to attack The Fort. That's why they had to die in my playthrough :lol: I hate fucking cowards.

Borys on
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Jesus christ. Victor just scared the shit out of me.
    ScreenShot0.jpg
    I went to sleep, and when I woke up, there he was. Watching.

Rizzi on
  • Options
    GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    ben0207 wrote: »
    So Helios glitch?

WTF happened?

I know you didn't mean too, but that ews shocked the hell out of me.

E: I mean really, that is too much yuck for one person to handle, you should know better.

It may be a glitch, but it's a glitch that happened exactly the same way to me.
    Came out the back door and got ambushed by two mole rats and a pack of named dogs.

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The 2+ minute loadtimes are back for me on the Xbox.

After yesterday I'd hoped they'd be gone.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    Did anyone else annihilate Snuffles the molerat when they got to the town south of The Strip? Just kind of went JESUS and hit him with the incinerator. Oops.

Xenogear_0001 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Also, you know the directx 9 fix? I totally didn't notice that there was a different file for us ATI users.
    :oops:

Rizzi on
This discussion has been closed.