Options

The APRIL PICK-UP THREAD - because you don't have enough things.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
  • Options
    MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    60ee0753.jpg

I've needed a new hard drive for awhile now. I saw that Amazon had 1 TB Hitachi Deskstars for $45 the other day, so I snapped one up. Now I can actually install all of my Steam games!

MyNameIsWalrus on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Having more than 500 gigs sure is nice.

No picture, but on Boxing Day, I got an ATI Radeon 6950 video card. I played Crysis on it and man, it works so well.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I recently picked up Fables volumes 7-9 and a mic for my PS3. Holding off on a game purchase for Portal 2.

Transdimensional Whale on
  • Options
    HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Chance wrote: »
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    3rd Rock was so awesome. Joseph Gordon-Levitt really grew up into a star too.

Seriously - he's just awesome in everything he does. Best part of Inception.

Brick is a really awesome film. The lookout too.

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Haikira wrote: »
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    3rd Rock was so awesome. Joseph Gordon-Levitt really grew up into a star too.

Seriously - he's just awesome in everything he does. Best part of Inception.

Brick is a really awesome film. The lookout too.

500 Days of Summer is my favorite film that he's in. Everything about that film is just fantastic from the music to the leads to the story and everything.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    WP_000177.jpg

Yesterday's pick-ups. Both based on people constantly raving about them, so don't let me down. I already know to go in with expectations of nier being very flawed, but very good at the same time.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    KaseiusKaseius Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    From the past few days:

alanwakea.jpg
    Got the LE guide for 15 new after Gamestop's 50% sale and my card.

dinnerdinnerdinner.jpg
    Got all these on sale, and I have yet to try Infinite Undiscovery. I love bad RPGs, so it should be perfect for me.. right?

mariostuff.jpg
    Finally, finally found a copy of All-Stars. Don't even own a Wii, but gat dam it is mine. KitN was 14.99 new from Amazon, and has the code for Yggdra included.

Last but not least, from Monday before the sale ended:
    vc2p.jpg

Kaseius on
    www.youtube.com/user/kaseius -- Let's Plays
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ooooh you got the Life dvd NOT narrated by Oprah.

Congrats.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ain't nothing wrong with Oprah.

Also, could have sworn you already had Conviction.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Wait, what.

There's a version of Life narrated by Oprah?

Who the fuck listened to David Attenborough and thought "hmmm let's replace this professional naturalist who has studied this material all his life for a chat show presenter."

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    edited January 2011

Also, could have sworn you already had Conviction.

I did, but then traded it on Goozex for 50$ credit. :P

Kaseius on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Kaseius wrote: »
    \
    Got all these on sale, and I have yet to try Infinite Undiscovery. I love bad RPGs, so it should be perfect for me.. right?

Let's see, Infinite Undiscovery.

Incomprehensible plot? Check.
    Unlikable cast? Double fucking Check.
    Gameplay? Decent.

So, yeah.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can stand pretty much any game. No matter how bad people say it is I usually think it's okay. Like even though people think SO3 is terrible I think it's pretty darn good. Infinite Undiscovery is the worst purchase I have ever made and I wish I had just thrown that $20 out the window.

Gilder on
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    2-33.jpg

I've been considering picking up Splinter Cell Conviction for the 360 - and I know it's rather unlike every other Splinter Cell game - but even so, my long-standing distaste for the franchise makes me... standoffish about it. That said, stealth is my favorite genre - should I pick it up for $20?

Also, why is search disabled?

Chance on
    'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I've been considering picking up Splinter Cell Conviction for the 360 - and I know it's rather unlike every other Splinter Cell game - but even so, my long-standing distaste for the franchise makes me... standoffish about it. That said, stealth is my favorite genre - should I pick it up for $20?

Also, why is search disabled?

It's not a normal stealth game. It's not about sneaking, it's about using the shadows to make yourself more lethal. Rooms basically become a puzzle - how to use cover and shadows to get through and take down every guard, without using the bullshitbroken mark and execute system.

I liked it, but I'm pretty open to new mechanics. It's not really a Splinter Cell game in anything but name, however. I'd recommend it, but only if you aren't tied to the old games. And if you are, have a really open mind.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I hate the old games. It's the only stealth franchise I can't stand. Edit: which is why I think I may be able to dig Conviction. I'll try to see if there's a demo.

Chance on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I hate the old games. It's the only stealth franchise I can't stand. Edit: which is why I think I may be able to dig Conviction. I'll try to see if there's a demo.

There is one. If you hate the old games, but enjoy stealth - especially MGS, I'm assuming you like a bit faster paced stealth? This will probably be right up your alley. Keep in mind though, non-lethality is basically not possible.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah in Conviction Sam Fisher is basically the spectre of Death. Nothing stands a chance, and everybody dies without knowing why.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

You and me are bros, Chance

I can't fucking stand the first three SCs. The first one was okay on PS2 because it was a bit more lenient than its Xbox brother.

Conviction rules, but its problem is that it is way short. $20 is a good price, but I regret paying $60. You get the feeling that, like Loki said, they set up the levels to be more of a puzzle to appease any of the old codger fans of SC still sticking around (which is a lost cause because they all abandoned this game before it was even released), when they could have made the levels just a little bit tighter and lengthened the game by a good amount. Mark and execute is an awesome thing; hopefully they emphasize it more in the next entry.

I very much look forward to the sequel, but it's a good deal at $20.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Conviction's single player is lame. The co-op makes up for that though.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Reverse that :P

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Nah. The single player is definitely one of the weakest in the franchise. Mark and execute isn't as impressive when you boil down your strategy to getting a melee kill to just chain them. On top of that, Sam can't take shots for shit, which was fine in older games but in this game it's just a bit jarring. That rears its ugly head when the game gets combat heavy, which is where I think it falls apart.

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Yes there is, and it's because of this:
    Who the fuck listened to David Attenborough and thought "hmmm let's replace this professional naturalist who has studied this material all his life for a chat show presenter."

She has no business replacing him for that exact reason.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Oh hey, I have a camera, so I can take part in this now.

SAM_0069.jpg

Some books I've been meaning to grab, and Enslaved, which everyone over here is selling for 50% off. Not even part of the Christmas sales, it's just been dropped by half.

Also put preorders down on these
    deadspace21013.jpg
    5120817577_08c707415c.jpg

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Man, I do not need the Helghast Edition of KZ3. But hey, someone else bought Enslaved! :^: wish I'd paid 50% off for it.

Chance on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    50% in australia is like $50.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    packips.jpg

My 3rd copy of Eternal Sonata -- the first two have both been sold for more than was paid. This one cost me 11.99. Hexyz Force from ebgames.com because that shit is hard to find. DSi XL case for when I go to Japan. Ys Seven because dat box

Kaseius on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I rather liked Eternal Sonata - gave up on it when I lost my savegame. I keep on hearing great stuff about Ys, but I can't bring myself to take the risk, for some reason. More often than not, when I try some classic game everyone raves about, the simple fifteen-year-old nature of its systems (with problems since solved, and solutions becoming standard) are just really off-putting.

The original Silent Hill comes to mind - and FFVII.

Chance on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ys Seven is actually a new made-for-PSP game, not a remake of an old one.

Kaseius on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ferseriously? Hmmm....

Chance on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    and it's actually a lot of fun if you don't expect an awesome AAA game. It certainly is in my pick for GOTY 2010. I can't wait for Ys 1+2 to hit the PSP soon.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Girlfriend won't be home until Thursday, so I have my Christmas vinyl additions to keep me company until then.

IMAG0070.jpg

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Man, I do not need the Helghast Edition of KZ3. But hey, someone else bought Enslaved! :^: wish I'd paid 50% off for it.

I think they may have accidentally put me down for the steelbook CE instead of the Helghast edition. Not sure if I want to call them and check. On one hand, I want the Helghast edition. On the other, it's $250au.

Also, yeah, Enslaved was still $45au. Would have still been cheaper to order it from the US.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    IMG_0169.jpg

This better rule

All this praise for a game with such poor reviews better not be an elaborate ruse, perpetrated by hundreds, to get me to purchase a shitty game

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    ZerokkuZerokku Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just go in the the mindset that it is flawed. But still good.

Zerokku on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I am prepared for that

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    d559f4ee.jpg
    Darksiders - $15
    Brütal Legend - $10
    UFC 2010 - $15

Bonus pickups from Novemberish:
    4798ba59.jpg

MyNameIsWalrus on
  • Options
    MannyTheManateeMannyTheManatee Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Scored a copy of Castlevania: Lord of Shadow Limited Edition for the Xbox for the looooow price of $19.99.

Here she is in all her glory along with Trouty, my rainbow trout.

2l8gh0h.jpg

Remember: When it comes to price matching....WHO DARES WINS!

5k3f9h.jpg

MannyTheManatee on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Did you get them to price match Fry's ad?

Shady3011 on
This discussion has been closed.