As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MINECRAFT: OH FUCK YOU SPIDER

nukanuka What are circles?Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Social Entropy++
nR5Od.gif

Latest Day Render

Latest Night Render

IMPORTANT NEWS!

New map folks! PM myself or Ulitmakay for the IP address if you forgot it or want to join us!

It's survival mode now! No more "Can I have X many blocks please?" Everyone is starting from scratch. We're currently playing on Hard mode. You must be wary of monsters now!
Very soon we will have a PVP designated area, but as of right now the only rule is DON'T BE A DICK. YES YOU.

I've changed the OP considerably but all the information you need is still available by simply clicking on the links below. (Currently still a work in progress)

Detailed Server Information and Videos
Tutorials
Modding

QUICK QUESTION!

A number of you have gotten used to playing without mods or any kind of assistance in this game which is rad cause you're all having a blast and I am happy when you are happy.

I would like to ask you guys though what mods you would be up for installing aside from the necessary ones that we run the server with and I use to keep you guys safe. (Pony if someone messes with your stuff again, there's a tool I can use to find out who did it and when.)

It's called Craftbook. Most of what it does is allow you to have more building choices. You can have working gates and drawbridges (The bridge doesn't actually go up it just disappears.) It also has a thing called the cauldron.
It lets you put items into it to get other items in return. We used it in the past for blocks you were otherwise unable to get like stuff from the Nether. You can read up more on the mod here in this link.

In short, we can control what an item is worth. We can make Lightstone cost Obsidian, Gold blocks, Glass and a torch and you get just 1 Lightblock in return or something. We can make stuff quite expensive. I'd like to hear your opinions on all this. Personally I want this for the ability to get flowers for keeping the map at a reasonable level of ridiculous size (rather than an unreasonable level of course.) because people are scouring the place for roses or whatever.

DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
nuka on

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    even the minecraft thread has been plagued by bugs

nothing is safe anymore

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    these are the end times

Shock G on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I miss what I wrote in the old thread but I couldn't seem to find a cached version of it.

nuka on
  • Options
    FlatEricFlatEric Leaves from the vine, Falling so slow Like fragile, tiny shells, Drifting in the foamRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Creeper blew up the last thread

FlatEric on
    S80hoUu.jpg
    hDrW8.png
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    creeper blew up the goddamn forum server

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    gotta

love

that

new

thread

smell

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Never

Stop

Digging

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    minewhat?

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So yeah, you are all still welcome to check out the Underdark server. It has some lag spike problems, but there are some pretty cool places down there.

IP is 212.181.174.57

Some pics!
    2010-11-28_031202.png

2010-11-28_031215.png

2010-11-29_162356.png

2010-11-29_162606.png

Edit: Removed the huge ones.

Vic on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    oooo

pwetty

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    dubh join me in the UNDERunderdark where we are building a hotel/apartment complex next to the lake!

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I'm taking a game break for the rest of the night

gonna watch a few shows, then finish some homework

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Dubh did you make that Kells thread

If so I (and the missus) must thank you

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    No, actually! It IS how I managed to find out about the movie, though. It came at a good time, since we just got into early medieval art in my Art History class.

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Man, I need to play this more with you all.

Kinda weird for me to see how incredibly popular Twixxo's gotten since my showing him minecraft in the first place.

Dys on
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    BILL YOUR SERVER IS DOWN IM GONNA SHIT MYSELF

WAAARGH

theSquid on
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Bill, I swear to god, if that server is not back up in one minute, I'm just going to have to keep waiting, but that's okay. I just love playin' on it is all!

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    i enjoy these games.

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    edited December 2010
    Deja vu thread.

Bogey on
    Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm gonna corner the lava market

don't fuck with me or I'll encase you in molten rock if you go afk

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    hiartbillhiartbill Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'm a huge fan of this: http://mineserver.be/. It's fairly buggy and they're still working on getting all the features in, but it uses less than 1/10th of the resources the official minecraft server (from what I've seen running both at the same time on my machine). I really can't wait until it's in a release-ready state...

Also, they're planning to implement multithreading. :)

hiartbill on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    bahahaha its in C++

theSquid on
  • Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    you'll have to forgive those of us that don't know programming

is C++ bad?

Raneados on
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think C++ isn't much used for networking?

Probably wrong though, I don't know jack about anything but java

101 on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Bzzt.

Of course for the commercial sector it takes less time to use a language more human friendly, but I doubt mine craft uses XML files to transmit information or something.

theSquid on
  • Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    C++ is good. Very good. Java is bad. Very bad. I look forward to our new C++ Mineserver overlords.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    NUKACRAFT THREAD FOR NUKAS ONLY

Squall on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Haha Nuka, I just noticed the modified avatar. That's spiffy as spiff!

I should get a Holiday avatar. (Holitar? No, no that's stupid!)

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    AlsoDAlsoD Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Not sure if it's been posted before, but http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueXephos#p/c/F60520313D07F366/0/4UdEFmxRmNE
    is a series of vids of a beginner and an experienced player starting an SMP world. 3:00 really sums it up for me.

AlsoD on
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    AlsoD wrote: »
    Not sure if it's been posted before, but http://www.youtube.com/user/BlueXephos#p/c/F60520313D07F366/0/4UdEFmxRmNE
    is a series of vids of a beginner and an experienced player starting an SMP world. 3:00 really sums it up for me.

ha! he matches my avatar!

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So I finally decided to try the Ambient Occlusion mod to see what it was about, and holy shit its amazing. Ive only tried it with tronic so far but it makes tronic look so much better. It does break the HD texture fix, but it can be reapplied once AO is installed.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    btw Nuka, that wool recipe is wrong. Right now it's 4 Grass + 2 Red Flower + 2 yellow Flower = 4 Wool
    Got that from trial and error

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Think I might have to minecraft a bit tonight. Want to get my subway to the court house.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    rfilyaw wrote: »
    C++ is good. Very good. Java is bad. Very bad. I look forward to our new C++ Mineserver overlords.

It's difficult to make concrete comparisons due to various language differences, but generally c++ and java have roughly the same performance.

The performance problems in minecraft and the server are due to it being written terribly rather than any language issues. There's no way a paltry 1000 cacti farm should make some people drop to 1 fps. Really you should be able to have the whole map be cacti and still have good performance.

Smasher on
  • Options
    Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    hey guys, check this out

Shock G on
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lost connection while the server was preparing to backup several minutes ago. Can't get back in.

Aneurhythmia on
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Lost connection while the server was preparing to backup several minutes ago. Can't get back in.

If this happens wait maybe 5 minutes then try again. What happens is the server lags everyone out then no one is able to get back on till it recovers, which usually takes a few minutes.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Smasher wrote: »
    rfilyaw wrote: »

It's difficult to make concrete comparisons due to various language differences, but generally c++ and java have roughly the same performance.

The performance problems in minecraft and the server are due to it being written terribly rather than any language issues. There's no way a paltry 1000 cacti farm should make some people drop to 1 fps. Really you should be able to have the whole map be cacti and still have good performance.

While I agree he is probably a terrible programmer (I'm no better, but I also don't mind saying Kanye West is a terrible musician, even though I can't even write music) I do think C++ will innately offer a good boost in performance. While the programming is essentially the same, the C++ goes straight to the operating system for which it's designed (which means no cross-compatibility) whereas Java has to use the JRE middleman significantly increasing clutter causing performance loss.

I might be completely wrong on this, but that's the impression I've gotten since Java was introduced, and how consistently every Java-based game I've played has been significantly outperformed by games written in pretty much any other language.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    hiartbillhiartbill Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    webguy20 wrote: »
    Think I might have to minecraft a bit tonight. Want to get my subway to the court house.

CraftBook 1.4 has even more features for minecarts! Dispensers, Stations, Message emitters! Also, I can now adjust the rate at which carts slowdown (I have it set to -50%), so you have to use less gold ore/blocks.

hiartbill on
  • Options
    nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I fixed the wool recipe.

nuka on
This discussion has been closed.