As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Generic Interactive Tabletop Simulator - Looking for coders!

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    Also, Rank? :P You left the ultramarines thing on them. I'm assuming you were just demonstrating how to change the colors?

Yeah, I was just changing the color to shorten Utsan's job. I'll let him deal with the icon changes and such. More of an experiment than anything else.

Can you get me another shot of that model from the front, and one from the side, to give me a better idea of what everything is on the 3D model? It would help a ton.

Thanks. I don't have DoW installed on my computer right now, as my gaming rig is dead until the new Power Supply shows up.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    back in my rpgmaker days

i had a program called idraw character maker

not to be confused with the apple product of the same name, it was made by ASCII

if you can find it, it's a fantastic program for spriting.

Pony on
  • Options
    EinEin CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pony wrote:
    back in my rpgmaker days

not to be confused with the apple product of the same name, it was made by ASCII

It's funny because I know exactly what you're talking about. I remember years ago when I used to play with rpgmaker and make those stupid walking sprites, and actually used that very idraw thing. I prefer photoshop at this point, honestly.

Ein on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    okay, last post for the night. Just recapping all of my work into one post so I can reference it easier tomorrow..

ork_boy_bolta.pngork_boy_bolta2.pngork_boy_bolta3.png
    ork_boy_bolta3.pngork_boy_bolta3_yellow.pngork_boy_bolta3_red.pngork_boy_bolta3_dead.pngork_boy_bolta_flashing.gif

boyz_test1.pngtrakk.pngtrukk_empty.pngtrukk_bolta.pngtrukk_bolta2.png

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Sup guys. I've been trying to work on a Tyranid sprite for a bit here, but I think the size is a bit off. I'll post it in a second, so tell me what you think.

Hopefully I can become involved with this, somehow. Even if my sprite work isn't that great. :)

edit: testnid.jpg

Bah, definitely too small, I think.

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pony wrote:
    back in my rpgmaker days

It's funny because I know exactly what you're talking about. I remember years ago when I used to play with rpgmaker and make those stupid walking sprites, and actually used that very idraw thing. I prefer photoshop at this point, honestly.

well, what i liked about idraw is that it would give you a finite pallette to work with, based on the colors inside the file itself

if you wanted to do a pallette swap, like you guys are talking about with different marine chapters, all you had to do was change the color in the pallette itself and it would do it automatically.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Pony wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    back in my rpgmaker days

well, what i liked about idraw is that it would give you a finite pallette to work with, based on the colors inside the file itself

if you wanted to do a pallette swap, like you guys are talking about with different marine chapters, all you had to do was change the color in the pallette itself and it would do it automatically.

Tricksy hobbitses.

Not a bad idea for those without photoshop, actually. Hi5

Ein on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pony wrote:
    back in my rpgmaker days

I used to use a lot of TheDraw for my BBS way back when. Had a neeto animation of a nuke going off that was huge in terms of file size. Almost 100K.

Edit: And that was an ASNI animation. The RIP stuff was obviously bigger. Though harly anyone ever saw it.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    So I'd like to get in on the eldar side of this. But I have no idea how to draw sprites

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The Forgeworld of Arcadia produces yet another war vehicle.

tank1.bmp

I know it looks skinny but The size is based of a comparison between one of my Rhino and my Leman Russ and using the shell from Jam's Rhino to get the size. A Russ is only marginally wider than a Rhino and the same length in track.

I saved a separate image of the turretless Russ so I can do a Demolisher pretty easily.
    Some rivets would look really nice on that.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ZeroZero wrote:
    So I'd like to get in on the eldar side of this. But I have no idea how to draw sprites

If you did eldar, that would be awesome, at least from my perspective, because I do not know a thing about them.

Really, I'd recommend opening up paint, picking a marine or something from what people have already posted, zooming in, looking at it, grabbing a pencil tool and giving it a go. Sprites really aren't that hard to make.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ZeroZero wrote:

If you did eldar, that would be awesome, at least from my perspective, because I do not know a thing about them.

Really, I'd recommend opening up paint, picking a marine or something from what people have already posted, zooming in, looking at it, grabbing a pencil tool and giving it a go. Sprites really aren't that hard to make.
    I'm a fucking repository of Eldar knowledge.

• Options
    edited January 2007
    Ok so this is what I dot out of my try. It's supposed to be a guardian.

Guardian.jpg

• Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    darkangels01ua6.png

I'm planning on doing some robed DA marines and Deathwing-colored Dreads & tanks tomorrow. For now I'm working on some Blood Angels icons and color tweaks using the file provided by Rank. After that Black Templars or maybe those Ork elites I mentioned.

Edit: Gigglio I'd say that's a pretty good Spinagaunt. At least for the project's purposes, we wouldn't want the unit to be excessively big.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    TDLTDL ClubPA, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    <3<3<3

TDL on
    Meet me on my vast veranda
    My sweet, untouched Miranda
    And while the seagulls are crying
    We fall but our souls are flying
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    TDL wrote:
    <3<3<3

emotdance7qs.gif

bloodangels01xd7.png

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Utsanomiko wrote:
    TDL wrote:
    <3<3<3

emotdance7qs.gif

bloodangels01xd7.png
    Pretty.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    And also:

bloodangels02fh3.png

EDIT: I made these Skarboyz and Hard Boyz before I realized not only would I have to make a burna, they're not holding their heavy weapons two-handed, so it'd be kind of moot.

boyztest2es2.png

Feel free to let me know how well they've turned out despite that, people.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    ls2.bmp

Land speeder's done, I think.

Utsano: Those look great. I especially like those black assault marines - I think they're called the death company? But I'm not sure. I also like the approach on the 'Ard Boyz you took.

The Dark Angels stuff also looks great, you got pretty much all the details down on that.

ZeroZero: It's a good start. Part of your problem I can see is JPEG compression messing with the colors a bit, and it looks a little bit plain - try highlighting them like we've been doing (Zoom in on a marine to get an idea. Use darker colors as you go towards the edges, brighter ones as you work in). Otherwise, you've pretty much got it down.

Gigglio: Small, but a lot of potential! Scale em up a bit - I imagine stuff like genestealers could have all four arms drawn out pretty well in a 30x30 space. Try and use a marine scout to measure the width of the body while you draw.

Ein on
  • Options
    trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    ....and my AXE!

genestealer2.jpg

I'm going to mess around until I'm comfortable with one that I can add different biomorphs too. Am I displaying it right here?

trentsteel on
    http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• Options
    edited January 2007
    trentsteel wrote:
    genestealer2.jpg
    I'm going to mess around until I'm comfortable with one that I can add different biomorphs too. Am I displaying it right here?

Yeah, pretty much. Post in .bmp in future so jpeg compression doesn't ruin anything.

That looks good. :D I thought it was a bit wide, originally, but then I put it against the marines and it doesn't look all that bad:

angles14.jpg

Needs a bit of refinement with the hands (the right one, in particular), I think, but you're on track. :D

Ein on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    trentsteel wrote:
    genestealer2.jpg

Yeah, pretty much. Post in .bmp in future so jpeg compression doesn't ruin anything.

That looks good. :D I thought it was a bit wide, originally, but then I put it against the marines and it doesn't look all that bad:

angles14.jpg

Needs a bit of refinement with the hands (the right one, in particular), I think, but you're on track. :D

I can't seem to get photobucket to upload like that. it still saves it as a jpg

I'm a noob at posting .bmp's; could you talk me through it, as you would a retarded child?

Here's one with Scything talons.
    genestealerscything-1.jpg

Here's one with Scything talons and Extended Carapace:
    genestealerscythingEC.jpg

trentsteel on

• Options
    edited January 2007
    Odd. If imageshack automatically converts them to .jpg, I'm not sure what I'd advise. Maybe .png, then.

Are you using paint?

Ein on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Odd. If imageshack automatically converts them to .jpg, I'm not sure what I'd advise. Maybe .png, then.

Are you using paint?

Yeah, I'm using paint.

I notice that when I upload it the tongues change from red to gray.

trentsteel on

• Options
    edited January 2007
    trentsteel wrote:

Are you using paint?

Yeah, I'm using paint.

Try saving and uploading them as .png files, then, see if that helps.

Re: the art, something about the bodies just seems too bulky to me, really, but I don't really know much about Nids to start with.

Ein on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    trentsteel wrote:

Are you using paint?

Yeah, I'm using paint.

Try saving and uploading them as .png files, then, see if that helps.

Re: the art, something about the bodies just seems too bulky to me, really, but I don't really know much about Nids to start with.

Thanks for the input. Yeah I'm still messing around here. When everyone starts getting out of bed they can let me know what they think too. I'm working on a Carnifex right now.

trentsteel on

• Options
    edited January 2007
    genestealerscythingEC-1.jpg

testing .png

rippers.jpg

Early, EARLY version of a ripper swarm. Still fooling around.

trentsteel on

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Every time I hit 'page down' in this thread, I have to go and change my pants.

Just out of curiosity, for IG rough riders, can they go on bikes, or is it horse all the way ? :P

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Jedi RenegadeJedi Renegade Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hey guys, I don't want to clutter this thread up too much but I just want to say that this is completely fucking awesome. As other people said earlier, I haven't the money (or patience, probably) to play tabletop 40K, and pretty much everything here looks absolutely fantastic. I wish you guys the best of luck and I look forward to seeing the finished product.

t ZeroZero: That Guardian looks pretty good, but I think he's a bit bulky, his shoulders look the same size as the Space Marines' and I was under the impression Eldar were supposed to be quite lithe. Still, it's about eighty times better than anything I could make, so well done.

Jedi Renegade on
    metalsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Every time I hit 'page down' in this thread, I have to go and change my pants.

Just out of curiosity, for IG rough riders, can they go on bikes, or is it horse all the way ? :P

Whatever. Make a horse, and if someone wants a bike they can make that, themselves. Or, conversely, make a bike, and someone else can make a horse.

[spoiler:b43c4b5617]Or make both. :D[/spoiler:b43c4b5617]

Ein on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Hey guys, I don't want to clutter this thread up too much but I just want to say that this is completely fucking awesome. As other people said earlier, I haven't the money (or patience, probably) to play tabletop 40K, and pretty much everything here looks absolutely fantastic. I wish you guys the best of luck and I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Support's appreciated, but I should again mention that this is not exclusively intended for the use of 40k. :) Hell, I imagine people could make up their own tabletop game with this sort of thing.

Ein on
  • Options
    Jedi RenegadeJedi Renegade Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Support's appreciated, but I should again mention that this is not exclusively intended for the use of 40k. :) Hell, I imagine people could make up their own tabletop game with this sort of thing.

Yeah, of course, but 40K has always seemed the most appealing to me and, having loved playing DoW but not having the resources for the miniatures, I'm really impressed by the 40K sprites you guys are turning out. Mind you, I'm sure it'd work great with any other game system.

Jedi Renegade on
    metalsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I'm actually wondering how long it takes before we see any BFG or WHFB sprites.

Also, I should mention that I've got dibs on making the Daemonhunters, and if anyone else tries I'll cut them.

Unless they do an awesome job. In which case, damnit, whatever.

From the 40k thread:

gk.bmp

Ein on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Also, I should mention that I've got dibs on making the Daemonhunters, and if anyone else tries I'll cut them.

From the 40k thread:

gk.bmp

I would guess that it would be a lot harder to handle WHFB style movement and rules. If I was your code monkey, I'd want to stick to skirmish style games at first.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

Y'know, when I got the Heroquest game for Christmas oh so many years ago, once I played through the adventure booklet, I figured I should take advantage of having so many cool little models and started writing rules for my own fantasy battle game.

Oh how little I knew then...

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    edited January 2007

From the 40k thread:

gk.bmp

I would guess that it would be a lot harder to handle WHFB style movement and rules. If I was your code monkey, I'd want to stick to skirmish style games at first.

Yeah, I was curious how that would work too.

I was thinking about how to do the sprites for FB last night and the "sticking a unit together" problem came up. Especially when you consider that the size of the unit would have to change.

Also, question, can we apply "meta tag" information to these when the program is done? Like, mouse over a unit (or click on it) and get a set of pre-written (or a notepad to write down) information related to that unit.

Obviously this wouldn't be hard-coded into the game, but possibly provide it as an option for the sprites?

Callius on
    tonksigblack.png
  • Options
    Mongrel IdiotMongrel Idiot Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Warhammer Fantasy would be pretty tough to code, but Mordheim is skirmish style.

It is IMPERATIVE that Mordheim be included. To the MSPaint-cave!

Edit: I was thinking about the Fantasy issue in the shower just now. Is the program going to do movement and combat and whatnot for the player, or is it going to just put the sprites on the screen and let you move them around? If the latter, all you'd really need for Fantasy regiments would be a sort of "movement tray" you could line up the soldier in. Moving the tray around moves the sprites with it, and when you suffer casualties you can just take them off.

'Course, if the game is running everything then that's a moot point.

Mongrel Idiot on
  • Options
    Anime OwnsAnime Owns Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh goodness, BFG. I will work on the Imperial fleet tonight, because I love BFG oh so much.

I also realized last night, while working on a carnifex, that there are sooo many biomorphs for the Tyranids. How would that even work, sprite wise? Having sprites for every possible combination seems a bit impractical, so would there be some kind of modular sprite work going on? I have no idea, but I figure it's worth discussing.

Anime Owns on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Gigglio wrote:
    Oh goodness, BFG. I will work on the Imperial fleet tonight, because I love BFG oh so much.

I also realized last night, while working on a carnifex, that there are sooo many biomorphs for the Tyranids. How would that even work, sprite wise? Having sprites for every possible combination seems a bit impractical, so would there be some kind of modular sprite work going on? I have no idea, but I figure it's worth discussing.
    The easiest way I could think of would be have generic sprites for each unit. Then on mouse over a text box pops up showing what mods that particular unit possesses, when the mouse moves off the text box dissapears. That way, you wouldn't have to have dozens of sprites representing each random piece of equipment a person could be carrying.
    Still want to keep sprites for large differences like primary weapons or the like though.

see317 on