As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Journey - New game from thatgamecompany (flow, flower) new preview video

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    So I was dogsitting a sick dog the other day when I noticed that my brother in law bought this game early.

Yeah, it's fun alright but I'm glad I didn't buy it. It's waaay too short.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    So I was dogsitting a sick dog the other day when I noticed that my brother in law bought this game early.

Yeah, it's fun alright but I'm glad I didn't buy it. It's waaay too short.

How much do you spend on going to see a movie? Totally worth it.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    It is about a million times better than Flower.

But yeah, I'm glad I played it.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    Flower could barely be qualified as interactive

what

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    I loved Flower but tried the beta of this some months back and it bored the shit out of me, did anyone play the beta and is there a fair bit of difference?

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    If anyone journeyed with a Ruzkin last night, I'm so sorry. I got stuck beneath a bridge in the desert twice and frustrated the hell out of my partner.

That aside, this game was incredible and worth every cent.

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    It's kinda hammy to read about other people experiences with the game. Then you go and have your own moment where you feel genuine emotion for this other faceless person with you.

Spoilers for about mid-game onward.
    As bad as getting hit by those dragon things is, it's a million times worse to watch it happen to another person. There's always this dread that they'll never get back up out of that sand/snow. How much more powerful would this be if it was possible to die? Also I think that making the damage taken to the scarfs permanent was a great idea. Really helps you to truly invest in the your character and their partner.

Lenore03 on
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Lenore03 wrote: »
    It's kinda hammy to read about other people experiences with the game. Then you go and have your own moment where you feel genuine emotion for this other faceless person with you.

As bad as getting hit by those dragon things is, it's a million times worse to watch it happen to another person. There's always this dread that they'll never get back up out of that sand/snow. How much more powerful would this be if it was possible to die? Also I think that making the damage taken to the scarfs permanent was a great idea. Really helps you to truly invest in the your character and their partner.
    I was very sad when I saw my partner's scarf didn't grow back. There I was with this ridiculously long scarf trailing behind us...
    it actually made me feel like I had to try and protect the guy, and to make sure I was always really close so he could recharge his scarf.
    It was pretty cool.

• Options
    ruzkinruzkin Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »

I was very sad when I saw my partner's scarf didn't grow back. There I was with this ridiculously long scarf trailing behind us...
    it actually made me feel like I had to try and protect the guy, and to make sure I was always really close so he could recharge his scarf.
    It was pretty cool.
    I was the one always getting hit in my game last night. I was beginning to think I was the whipping boy, and I felt completely inadequate next to my partner with his/her long, luxurious scarf. Then he/she got ploughed into the ground in the final snow area, and I freaked out, running over and singing madly, begging them to get up out of the snow. When they got their feet I was so incredibly relieved... and also glad to not be the only one with a stunted scarf.

g4OlSIF.jpg
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    ruzkin wrote: »

It was pretty cool.
    I was the one always getting hit in my game last night. I was beginning to think I was the whipping boy, and I felt completely inadequate next to my partner with his/her long, luxurious scarf. Then he/she got ploughed into the ground in the final snow area, and I freaked out, running over and singing madly, begging them to get up out of the snow. When they got their feet I was so incredibly relieved... and also glad to not be the only one with a stunted scarf.
    Yeah, damaging the scarf was a surprisingly effective way of communicating getting hurt after spending so much time on making it grow.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    You guys are close to selling me on this game. How's the music? Is there any?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

yeah it's very heavy on symphonic musical cues, big crescendos during key moments, if you're into that sort of thing.

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options

Unobtrusive, but very thematic. Stuff that befits the visuals really well.

• Options
    Guitar Hero Of TimeGuitar Hero Of Time Registered User regular
    Got this today and played through in one sitting. I regret nothing. Great experience.

I will probably play through one or two more times.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Just finished my second playthrough. My first partner was in the white garb and he/she helped me find some of the secrets in the earlier levels. Unfortunately, we got separated in...I think it's the 4th level? The one where you start off sliding down the hills. Got paired up with two other people, but I'm not entirely sure when it was that one guy left and the other took his place. I somehow still got the "play through most of the game with the same person" trophy, though.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Ran into my first white robed partner today. Helped me get the bridge trophy and then we straight up flew around the whole level, timing our chirps to keep each other airborne. That's a whole new game in and of itself.

I like how the pattern on your robe grows more elaborate each time you complete the game.

• Options
    What does a white robe signify? I thought it was neat that the patterns on my robe were different from my companions, but I didn't know they had white robes in the game.

• Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular

As gorgeous as the visuals. It's on par with Dear Esther's soundtrack.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    What does a white robe signify? I thought it was neat that the patterns on my robe were different from my companions, but I didn't know they had white robes in the game.

That you've collected all the symbols (the things that extend your scarf) in the game. I don't think it has to be in one playthrough but you do have to find them all at one point. If anyone's already done this, you can wear it by going to the level select area and walking into the white beam with ribbons coming out of it. Then you can go back into it (or stay in there too long) to go back to the standard red.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I don't think a game has given me goosebumps like this since Sword & Sworcery. It's this childlike sense of wonder I haven't felt in ages. Probably the most beautiful game of the year as well. I'd love to just be able to wander around forever.

And spending more time with it now, I'm very assured that putting in friendly co-op or voice would be a travesty.

Esh on
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    played this tonight, amazing game. I was lucky and got paired up with a guy right off the bat who was into it and wanted to explore and go at the same pace as me. After I had beaten it I got the trophy for completely most of the game with the same coop partner :D

It was a super powerful experience playing it with somebody else, a couple times I tought I lost him and got really sad about it but he found his way back onto the path. Very good game.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    Dirty wrote: »
    Flower could barely be qualified as interactive

what

Flower is a game where there is literally almost nothing standing between the player and the end of the level. There's nothing to figure out, nothing to overcome. It's just this beautiful 3D film that I get to watch in real time. Sure, it doesn't advance if I don't steer it in the right direction, but it's not unlike how a book can't advance if I don't turn the pages.

While I appreciate the experience of "playing" these games (I mean, they really are beautiful and relaxing), I really feel like my experience would be almost the same were I simply watching someone else play it.

• Options
    absolutely not. the feeling of flight - controlled flight, the empowerment of orchestrating it and the navigation of dilemmas which seek to prevent it, the application of this glorious flight to modification of the environment, the emotion that's articulated just in the way you're able to move an otherwise inhuman avatar - is so crucial to flower that without it it, there is no entertainment.

if that describes a game that's not interactive, then keep your interactivity. i don't want it.

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Just played through this. Wow, this game is impressive on every level, it had me so involved and is just so beautiful. I cannot say that i have in a long time felt real joy and tension within seconds.

Somehow i wound up paired with 5 people, but it was so seamless i thought it was 2.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    bsjezz wrote: »
    absolutely not. the feeling of flight - controlled flight, the empowerment of orchestrating it and the navigation of dilemmas which seek to prevent it, the application of this glorious flight to modification of the environment, the emotion that's articulated just in the way you're able to move an otherwise inhuman avatar - is so crucial to flower that without it it, there is no entertainment.

if that describes a game that's not interactive, then keep your interactivity. i don't want it.

See, that

That is what I did not get from Flower

When I hear people talking about it this way I want to look at them like they're a crazy person

• Options
    i'm sorry

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    The Truffle ShuffleThe Truffle Shuffle Registered User regular

Here's a few tracks uploaded by the composer, Austin Wintory. Really fantastic stuff.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    They need to release this soundtrack.

That music in the very final stretch of the game... so amazing and uplifting.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    After reading some of the spoilers this game certainly sounds more interesting than I found the beta to be. Looks like I shall be picking it up this weekend!

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    I am surprised I didn't find all the little scarf increasing nodes. I swear I searched every corner of the game. I'll have to look even harder next playthrough (in a week!)

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    So you don't actually have an opportunity to meet another player in that first area, right?

• Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »

AND cloak dlc. I know you guys wanna accessorize.

• Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    For everyone that want the music from the game:

Austin Wintory, the guy who composed all the music, is going to release a bundle of music from the game before the official soundtrack release. All you have to do is sign up on his fan list.

Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    Ceno wrote: »

AND cloak dlc. I know you guys wanna accessorize.

eff you

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Finished the game tonight. Completely epic experience. Highly recommend though getting the game NOW while there are still alot of new players going through the first time. I don't think it will be the same experience even a week from now.

edit: also I am so sad this game isn't getting more attention in G&T (like ALL Sony exclusives). It's likely my GOTY.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    This may sound insane, but Journey to me is the most refreshingly well-made new game I've seen since the original Half-Life.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I muchly want this game, but I'm going to wait for it to eventually be on sale. I'm not saying it's not worth the price it's at, just you know budgeting and such. Having every game system and handheld, along with a PC, makes buying every game you want kinda hard.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I muchly want this game, but I'm going to wait for it to eventually be on sale. I'm not saying it's not worth the price it's at, just you know budgeting and such. Having every game system and handheld, along with a PC, makes buying every game you want kinda hard.

I suggest getting it now ... the full blown experience is enhanced by playing with other players who have never played the game before. I too have multiple systems and I'm on a tight budget. This game is definitely worth what you get ... there's no other game I've played with maybe the exception of Flower that will give you this type of experience.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Bamelin wrote: »

I suggest getting it now ... the full blown experience is enhanced by playing with other players who have never played the game before. I too have multiple systems and I'm on a tight budget. This game is definitely worth what you get ... there's no other game I've played with maybe the exception of Flower that will give you this type of experience.

The sale would probably attract a number of new players anyway but yeah, the best time to play Journey is right now, when the servers are full and it's harder to play solo than find a partner.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options

I gotcha, and I totally understand your reasoning.

But also keep in mind that there may not BE a sale. I've got like, ten in spare credit now on PSN, thought I might finally get me some Costume Quest, but that's been out for like a year and a half now and the price has never dropped.

That's actually a good question. Does Sony do sales drops for their own digital releases? Or is that some Playstation Plus feature I wouldn't know about?