As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Journey - New game from thatgamecompany (flow, flower) new preview video

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Well, I do remember flower going on sale about a week after I bought it. And I am pretty sure I got fl0w on sale, so it definitely happens with stuff from thatgamecompany.

• Options
    TomaToma Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Went for the trophy where you
    finish the journey with a partner the entirety of the game.

First partner I met must of had the same mindset, because on top of working to get the bridge one, we flew through the whole game in record time. Actually, literally flew. Most of the time we never touched the ground.

All without saying a word or communicating a thing. I loved it.

Toma on
    tomapop.gif

PSN: Toma84
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    Holy crap the mechanic where you can loose your partner is awesome.
    I accidentally got spotted by a monster and it took away my partner. I'm guessing that on his side, I was taken away? Rocking game design if so!

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    eobet wrote: »
    Holy crap the mechanic where you can loose your partner is awesome.
    I accidentally got spotted by a monster and it took away my partner. I'm guessing that on his side, I was taken away? Rocking game design if so!
    Hm, I never lost a partner that way, but it's certainly possible. I think the game disconnects you from someone else if you get too far away from each other, because that's how I've lost people.

• Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    Got my white robes just now. Only 3 achievements I have left are rescuing all the desert creatures, uncovering the 10 hieroglyphs, and the play after a week off.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Went through my first time. Lost my super long scarf twice. Partnered with some people, but lost them, got with another, lost them, got with another, lost them, and finished on my own. :(
    This game is beautiful. I need to find some secrets.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    I liked the game a lot, but I also wish I'd not read so much about it beforehand - less for the spoilers than for the expectations it raised. Sitting there waiting for something to start being amazing, evocative, artistic, moving etc. isn't fair on anything. As a result it took me a while to appreciate Journey fully, rather than just thinking, "It's beautiful to look at, but people are going a bit overboard with their praise, aren't they?"

I couldn't exactly say why, but when the screen came up telling you who you shared your journey with, I found that very poignant. It probably helped that few of them had stupid gamertags. :-D

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    After I played this once, I haven't played it again. Not because I didn't like it or because I finished it or anything, but I really wanted to make someone else play it and watch their reactions to things. It also felt like it was definitely worth sharing, especially since I found that a lot of the things that make the game great sound less than convincing in day-to-day dialogue.

So I got a friend of mine to sit down and start playing it. I don't even mind losing my 'progress' because there isn't exactly a lot of rigamarole to go through in playing this game.

Have to say I was rather blown away by some stuff early in the game all over again. There's definitely stuff you see the first time through that you just roll with as some kind of gaming convention that later on the frescoes definitely reveal to be other stuff. Maybe it was obvious to everyone else? Dunno:
    The broken machinery you free the scarves and tapestry-fish from, those are BROKEN VERSIONS of the DRAGONS later in the game that menace you. Those are the war machines that were built that were apparently powered by trapping the cloth creatures inside of them.

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    I just finished it, and with the same companion throughout most of it. It was amazing and gorgeous and wonderful.

When my partner got hurt, it was frightening. When my partner was blown off a narrow pathway by a gust of wind, I purposefully fell down to see if he or she was okay and to make it back up together. And when we reached our destination, we moved to each other and chirped at the same exact moment as if in congratulation.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    belaraphonbelaraphon michiganRegistered User regular
    i really enjoyed my time with it. i beat it today about 3 times, and tried wrapping up some of the trophies. the companions i got stuck close by and we had a really great time discovering stuff. awesome!

belaraphon.png
  • Options
    Since I haven't played flow or flower, can anyone tell me if the games build off eachother in any discernible way? Not plot or story, obviously, but...design-wise, does there seem to be a consistent scale of development going on?

I'd be really curious to see how thatgamecompany develops in the future.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    Since I haven't played flow or flower, can anyone tell me if the games build off eachother in any discernible way? Not plot or story, obviously, but...design-wise, does there seem to be a consistent scale of development going on?

I'd be really curious to see how thatgamecompany develops in the future.

absolutely - i'd go as far as to say journey is a spiritual sequel to flower, as a lot of the structural elements and design ideas have carried over. because it's so different gameplay wise, flow isn't so closely related, but the aesthetics of journey's creatures are influenced by it, at least

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Yeah I would say that Journey shares the same emotional hits you get as in Flower. I think Journey is the better of the two games personally, it hit me harder. There were some parts in Flower I found boring. There's nothing in Journey I find boring at all.

Bamelin on
  • Options
    The overall 'story' (as it is - all of it is implicit and open to interpretation) and emotional arc are very similar in Journey and Flower. Almost a bit too much so for my taste - but it's a minor criticism.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Some of the segments in the game, to get all the symbols...
    ...it seems really like you need to memorize where they were. I'm talking about the "slalom" downhill surfing parts. My question is after you complete the game, can you pick levels to redo, or do you have to start all over every time? I know I'll never remember where the symbols were, and there is too little time to react on the downhill itself...

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    ...it seems really like you need to memorize where they were. I'm talking about the "slalom" downhill surfing parts. My question is after you complete the game, can you pick levels to redo, or do you have to start all over every time? I know I'll never remember where the symbols were, and there is too little time to react on the downhill itself...

There is a chapter select, but some of the symbols are hard to get unless you increase your scarf length from previous chapters.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options

After you've beaten the game once, you can start a new game and when you hit Start it will let you go to the level select. Each of the temples in the circle will warp you to a different level, just walk up to the portal and an image of the level will appear.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Cool. Ok, so the ending...
    ...was it just all about the journey? Does the player as a star get shot back to the beginning, in a never ending cycle? Or did I miss something? Or is that exactly the question they want us to ask?

• Options
    RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    Cool. Ok, so the ending...
    ...was it just all about the journey? Does the player as a star get shot back to the beginning, in a never ending cycle? Or did I miss something? Or is that exactly the question they want us to ask?
    I think it is a never-ending cycle, a rebirth.

• Options
    Today's Penny Arcade is a pretty good example why this game is best without voice chat:

http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/03/19

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Although I have not completed Journey, it does please me to know it will have a chapter selection and -by gosh- special costumes for doing so.

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Am I the only one who unplugged from the network so I could play by myself?

It would have been nice if there was an option in the menu to prevent intrusions.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Yes, Journey is the only game in the history of online games that could be ruined by people saying things out of context of the game.

Regardless of what I think of the co-op, I just wish there was more to do. The world is beautiful, I wish there was more to do than look at it. Maybe some actual puzzle elements, or some moderately challenging platforming. I'm not saying it needs to be Ninja Gaiden hard or anything.

• Options
    Although I have not completed Journey, it does please me to know it will have a chapter selection and -by gosh- special costumes for doing so.

Depending on how many symbols you have found, and I think in what order you found them and how many times you've completed the game, your costume will be slightly different.

In fact, that ties in with my earlier post about...
    ...the ending. It really is a never ending cycle. Some sort of atonement, perhaps?

• Options
    edited March 2012

Depending on how many symbols you have found, and I think in what order you found them and how many times you've completed the game, your costume will be slightly different.

...the ending. It really is a never ending cycle. Some sort of atonement, perhaps?

About the outfit:
    Only change I know of for sure is collecting all the upgrades. This allows you to wear a white robe, with a longer unupgraded cape that recharges automatically when you hit the ground.

You can collect the upgrades in any order, through multiple playthroughs. In the level select area there is a little shrine setup with banks of lights, just like the lights at the bottom of the White Statues at the end of every zone. It will let you know which zones you still need to collect upgrades for.

And to tie that in with your discussion of the ending:
    The trophy for getting all the upgrades is called Trancendence. Definitely a cycle of rebirth and atonement going on.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

About the outfit:
    Only change I know of for sure is collecting all the upgrades. This allows you to wear a white robe, with a longer unupgraded cape that recharges automatically when you hit the ground.

You can collect the upgrades in any order, through multiple playthroughs. In the level select area there is a little shrine setup with banks of lights, just like the lights at the bottom of the White Statues at the end of every zone. It will let you know which zones you still need to collect upgrades for.

The trophy for getting all the upgrades is called Trancendence. Definitely a cycle of rebirth and atonement going on.
    I've seen a guy with patterns on the bottom 1/3rd of his robe and it was still red.

• Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular

It would have been nice if there was an option in the menu to prevent intrusions.

While I'm sure it is still a great game alone, I found the multiplayer aspect of the game incredible. I am a fairly anti-social person, hate most online games, and usually unplug my mic when playing, but there is something amazing about strangers working together with no communication, working to achieve the same goal. I would wait for a companion, would point out things that I had found, and was shown things that I had not discovered myself. If I felt I was triggering too many objects myself, or getting ahead, I would split to a further objective, or wait for them to trigger it.

On the screen that shows the players that played with you, 3 of mine had foreign-looking names, followed by some dude with a 69 at the end of his tag.

• Options
    Lenore03Lenore03 Registered User regular

About the outfit:

I've seen a guy with patterns on the bottom 1/3rd of his robe and it was still red.
    Yea it's true the vanilla gown will gain additional patterns the more times you complete the game. Mine has patterns halfway up the damn thing. I think it looks better than the white cloak actually, and when it shimmers, especially in those dark areas? Totally cash.

• Options
    Brown cloaks upgrade 4 times based on playthroughs.

• Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Ending:
    I thought the game was about atonement, too, but I'm pretty you actually ascend to the "stars" when you finish. You'll notice many stars appearing. I'm not sure if YOU are restarting, or if it's just another Robe (do we have a term yet?) who has come to this ancient place. Are we rising out of the graves in the sand?

This game was an amazing palate cleanser after ME3.

As for co-op:
    Not knowing my partner and exploring/enduring together was amazing. But now...I'd like to play with a friend.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular

While I'm sure it is still a great game alone, I found the multiplayer aspect of the game incredible. I am a fairly anti-social person, hate most online games, and usually unplug my mic when playing, but there is something amazing about strangers working together with no communication, working to achieve the same goal. I would wait for a companion, would point out things that I had found, and was shown things that I had not discovered myself. If I felt I was triggering too many objects myself, or getting ahead, I would split to a further objective, or wait for them to trigger it.

On the screen that shows the players that played with you, 3 of mine had foreign-looking names, followed by some dude with a 69 at the end of his tag.

I had the exact opposite reaction. Some guy in my game showing me things that I had not found yet for myself? Get out. It was infuriating.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I had the exact opposite reaction. Some guy in my game showing me things that I had not found yet for myself? Get out. It was infuriating.
    That sucks. I was lucky that my partners were just sort of ... there. They weren't actively hurting my enjoyment of the game. However, they didn't add to it either. I think you'll find the game just as fun if you log out of PSN.

• Options
    I had something else happen to me. A player who completely ignored me and just ran through the areas with seemingly zero interest. I ended up going afk for a while in order to try to get him out of my game.

• Options

It's part of the game design. White robes take on a mentor role to help their brown robe pupils find the path to trancedence. I love this mechanic although I'll admit I'm vey happy my first journey was with a noob like me ... Playing with a fellow noob is an experience that won't happen now for latecomers.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Something about the lack of proper communication, I think, brings out the best in people. Someone who would yell and swear at you if you beat them in Starcraft will happily chirp at you in Journey to help you find something you're struggling with.

Also seriously, I get why we have console exclusives, but I've never used the online feature for my PS3 and in fact it hasn't even been unpacked from its box since I moved house three months ago, thats how little I use it. I wish multiplatform was more common.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Something about the lack of proper communication, I think, brings out the best in people. Someone who would yell and swear at you if you beat them in Starcraft will happily chirp at you in Journey to help you find something you're struggling with.

Also seriously, I get why we have console exclusives, but I've never used the online feature for my PS3 and in fact it hasn't even been unpacked from its box since I moved house three months ago, thats how little I use it. I wish multiplatform was more common.

Sony published and funded this game, so without them it wouldn't even exist (and you wouldn't have a reason to unpack your PS3). That's why it's exclusive.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    This game makes my PS3 fan SCREAM.

Stupid MGS4 bundle Fat PS3. I usually have it upright. I took it out and elevated it horizontal off the floor, but she was still screaming.

Any other tips for this?

The loud fan is ALMOST ruining my enjoyment.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    This game makes my PS3 fan SCREAM.

Stupid MGS4 bundle Fat PS3. I usually have it upright. I took it out and elevated it horizontal off the floor, but she was still screaming.

Any other tips for this?

The loud fan is ALMOST ruining my enjoyment.

Um, you might have a problem there.

Myself I have a Slim model that's always been horizontal.

Seriously, I think this is coincidental, and you're got a bigger problem under the hood. Journey is, like, 600 megs.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've got a launch PS3, and the fan doesn't have a problem.
    Sounds like it's the console, not the game.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Now imagine that every chirp is actually that language's equivalent of cocksucker or faggot n00b! :lol:

Seriously, though, there's something about this game that very much reminded me of the story of the simurgh and the pilgrimage of birds. Dunno whether that came to anyone else's mind...

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg