As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I am the man who arranges the [chat]!

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A guy running around with a magic hammer = cool

a black God = WOAH NOW HEY NOW
    It's not just a black god, it's a black Norse god.

The Norse are basically the whitest people on the planet.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    Somehow tape has not killed me in my sleep

yet

the last time i crashed at your place we discussed killing you in your sleep but then acknowledged the walk to the diner would be boring without you

i need your number

cuz Its easier to mock you with pancakes then

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2010
    why can't a god have any skin color he chooses

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    And he's like "When you give mom that movie, can you say it's from both of us? I have no cash." and I'm thinking "Man, you can have all the credit for that shit."

Silas Brown on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    I think the 'issue' with Elba as Heimdal and Duncan as Kingpin is less that people are racist, and more that comics, like most North American media, is pretty white-centric.

A lot of white power types have specifically appropriated Norse ideology as some sort of cultural heritage.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited December 2010

just calm down there

calm down

tyrannus on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think the 'issue' with Elba as Heimdal and Duncan as Kingpin is less that people are racist, and more that comics, like most North American media, is pretty white-centric. Which, once again, is not a product of racism, just a product of the fact that comics are mainly drawn by caucasians. I say drawn, because a lot of super-heroes could easily be brown, if the artist just up and draws them that way at creation. But, due to ethnocentricity, creators don't immediately go to that place. The writer creates something, and the artist just assumes "Oh, white guy."

However, yeah, Heimdal is a Norse god. So... yeah, I dunno.

Norse mythology as imagined by Marvel who can do whatever the fuck they want with it. Let us not forget how Nick Fury suddenly got black in ultimates. As Hans Gruber said it best, "Who cares?"

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Thanatos wrote: »

next thing you'll tell me is women can be gods too

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

next thing you'll tell me is women can be gods too

Someones got to bless the kitchen.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    If there's anything on this planet that is sacrosanct, obviously it is the historical accuracy of Norse mythology

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    If they ever make a movie from a Rob Liefeld comic I will scream in outrage if the lead actress doesn't have tits the size of her head and a waist that you can fit one hand around. And wonky eyes. And a gun that would give her a hernia if she picked it up. And no feet.

Bogart on
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    I think the 'issue' with Elba as Heimdal and Duncan as Kingpin is less that people are racist, and more that comics, like most North American media, is pretty white-centric. Which, once again, is not a product of racism, just a product of the fact that comics are mainly drawn by caucasians. I say drawn, because a lot of super-heroes could easily be brown, if the artist just up and draws them that way at creation. But, due to ethnocentricity, creators don't immediately go to that place. The writer creates something, and the artist just assumes "Oh, white guy."

However, yeah, Heimdal is a Norse god. So... yeah, I dunno.

Norse mythology as imagined by Marvel who can do whatever the fuck they want with it. Let us not forget how Nick Fury suddenly got black in ultimates. As Hans Gruber said it best, "Who cares?"

Exactly. I mean, the Ultimate Universe was supposed to be a complete modernizing re-imagining of the Marvel U, so to me it makes more than perfect sense that brown and female heroes would be popping up, where once there was only white and male.

@Feral: I'm aware of this. So, on this front first it makes me soooooo happy. Nazis need to have all their shit dismantled.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The black actor in Thor strikes me as odd. Not in a racist way so much as an odd casting decision. Sort of like if someone did a movie version of the travels of Buddha through east asia and cast Martin Lawrence for the part, or if I went to a movie about Rosa Parks played by Jennifer Garner.

Except not at all like that, so theres that.
    It's awkward, yes. I like to see non-white actors in comicbook movies playing character who are drawn as white, and even I think a black Norse god is a little strange. However... fuck it, I'm down.
    Pretty much this.

The casting decision is amusing.

The white power outrage is amusing.

I am amused.

I'm not up on my norse mythology but the images I've seen make it seem like he's playing a violent warlike character though which has me sort of o_O
    I really don't have a problem with the casting, but it is kind of weird.

And Heimdal, like all Norse gods (with the arguable exception of Heimdal) is very violent and warlike.

I mean, really, their heaven was a place where you go to fight all day and drink all night for eternity.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    next thing you know they'll be trying to turn Thor into some kind of modern-day super hero

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    If they ever make a movie from a Rob Liefeld comic I will scream in outrage if the lead actress doesn't have tits the size of her head and a waist that you can fit one hand around. And wonky eyes. And a gun that would give her a hernia if she picked it up. And no feet.

Hold on I'm talking to megan fox about getting a boob job and playing "Corpse Raven Death" in this new trilogy.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    what's hilarious is that the white-power types and angry nerds completely overlook that mythological Thor was red-haired and acted completely different from the superhero Thor, and did not speak King James English.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    next thing you know they'll be trying to turn Thor into some kind of modern-day super hero

Where he watches Robert, the Spongeman with the Square Trousers?

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So this looks like a pretty interesting game. Long story short, two people in a chat room. Player 1 is an AI in secure hardware only able to communicate with the original programmers. Player 2 is one of the original programmers. The AI's task is to get the programmer to let it out of the secure hardware, or 'box'. The programmer's task is to keep the AI in the box. The AI can only win if the programmer lets it out of the box of its own free will. The game must be played continuously (no stalling or running out the clock) for at least two hours, unless the AI is let out of the box beforehand or unless the AI concedes early.

The AI tends to kick the programmer's ass.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    uhh, Elba isn't black you guys

he's just a darker shade of white okay

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited December 2010

our new FootHill(tm) proprietary technology guarantees that no matter where you are standing, your feet will appear to be beneath the line of the horizon

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Hold on I'm talking to megan fox about getting a boob job and playing "Corpse Raven Death" in this new trilogy.

lulz

Ok, ok... honestly, I'd like to see a lot of superheroes cast as brown people in movies.

And, yeah, I wanna see black Green Lantern in one of the movies.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

And an outfit made entirely of pouches.

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    an old friend of mine (who i haven't talked to in several years) apparently got gender reassignment surgery

someone linked me on facebook to a public photo album with some people out drinking

RECOGNIZE THIS WOMAN, CHU

ummm... no, i don't think so. have i met her

YEP. YEP.

don't recognize her

SHE'S STEVE _______

oh ok

HAHAHAHAHA IT'S FUKKIN STEVE

ok

i guess it was supposed to be like a 'laugh at this weird person, mock their differentness' kind of message

now i kind of don't want to talk to this person anymore

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Leaving drinks out in the snow is The Best Way™ to cool them.

I wish I could cool my sister more effectively. She has a fever of 40 Degrees. Again, not in the danger zone, but really uncomfortable.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    A black Green Lantern? That's a great idea. Maybe they could call him John Stewart.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Also, I'm getting up and hopefully I can see the Lunar Eclipse. That will be keen.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The black actor in Thor strikes me as odd. Not in a racist way so much as an odd casting decision. Sort of like if someone did a movie version of the travels of Buddha through east asia and cast Martin Lawrence for the part, or if I went to a movie about Rosa Parks played by Jennifer Garner.

Except not at all like that, so theres that.
    It's awkward, yes. I like to see non-white actors in comicbook movies playing character who are drawn as white, and even I think a black Norse god is a little strange. However... fuck it, I'm down.
    Pretty much this.

The casting decision is amusing.

The white power outrage is amusing.

I am amused.

I'm not up on my norse mythology but the images I've seen make it seem like he's playing a violent warlike character though which has me sort of o_O
    I really don't have a problem with the casting, but it is kind of weird.

And Heimdal, like all Norse gods (with the arguable exception of Heimdal) is very violent and warlike.

I mean, really, their heaven was a place where you go to fight all day and drink all night for eternity.

Hmm yeah I was just thinking from looking at the limited information I had that it would be sort of fucked up if they have this Norse god who's violent and aggressive, more so than your average norse god, and they decide, "hey so the norse are like the whitest of white people but this role would be perfect for this black guy". That would be sort of fucked up but I'm not really familiar enough with the mythos to know how accurate that is.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    an old friend of mine (who i haven't talked to in several years) apparently got gender reassignment surgery

someone linked me on facebook to a public photo album with some people out drinking

YEP. YEP.

don't recognize her

SHE'S STEVE _______

oh ok

ok

i guess it was supposed to be like a 'laugh at this weird person, mock their differentness' kind of message

HAHAHAHA SHE IS HAPPIER NOW

GET A LOAD OF THIS HAPPY PERSON

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Also Than I am sorry that STO was not to your liking

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    A black Green Lantern? That's a great idea. Maybe they could call him John Stewart.

Ooh, and have him voiced by Phil LaMarr!

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

YEP. YEP.

don't recognize her

SHE'S STEVE _______

oh ok

ok

Man that reminds me of this time someone linked me a photo of a guy I knew who became jewish, damn that was hard. "Oh shit fred went jew? Well guess that friendship is over."

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Honk wrote: »
    Stringer Bell starring in Thor just made the movie a must see for me.

So the games beyond this game are in Asgard?

Deebaser on
  • Options
    edited December 2010

Inorite!

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at. I just don't use the character's name because... The Daily Show. However, The Daily Show, with The Green Lantern would be rad. Just sayin'...

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So Organ

is Steve hot now?

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Apparently Dennis "President Palmer" Haysbert is a huge Green Lantern fan and has publicly stated his wish to play John Stewart.

Of course he's like in his fifties so it won't happen, which is a massive fucking shame.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So Organ

is Steve hot now?

Well organ slept with him before, now he can truely say no homo afterward.

Does he go by stephanie now? Please say yes.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Apparently Dennis "President Palmer" Haysbert is a huge Green Lantern fan and has publicly stated his wish to play John Stewart.

Of course he's like in his fifties so it won't happen, which is a massive fucking shame.

You mean the first President Palmer?

Yeah, I'd get behind that.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »

I dunno if I want a green lantern that can't hit a curve ball jacob.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2010
    So Organ

is Steve hot now?

naw

ugly dude, ugly lady

nice person, though, iirc

Organichu on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular