Options

Dwarf Fortress 0.31.25: probably got flying cars powered by plump helmets and beards

• Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sometimes single level reservoirs in dirt/sand/clay give 'murky pool' bad thoughts.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I know I only get brackish water if the water is in a tank thats cut off from the source. Like, say if I floodgate a chamber underneath my well it gets murky. But if I just put a grate in between the underground lake and the chamber it stays clear forever.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    DkarrdeDkarrde Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dkarrde wrote: »
    Make sure you put it in a cistern three or more levels tall; it lets the grit and dirt sink to the bottom, so dwarves won't get bad thoughts about drinking brackish water.

Wait, really? I have never done this and never seen this complaint.

It's possible I got bad information. I know drinking from static pools causes the murky water complaint; maybe someone else confused that for z-levels, because that's what I heard.

If you've been doing it fine with just a flat pool of river water, go for it. I like the aesthetics of a multilevel cistern anyway.

Dkarrde on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I made a huge mistake.

I had this huge fortress going, but I neglected to ever put in a plumbing system. I ran out of booze (and my brewer couldn't keep up with my population), and even when I designated a nearby lake as the water source...they stopped drinking (I was using i, but they refused to go drink from it?).

As I scrambled to dig out an aqueduct system, I: Flooded my crypt, got ambushed by goblins with no standing army, and had an elven caravan arrive.

Needless to say, that fortress has been abandoned.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I made a huge mistake.

I had this huge fortress going, but I neglected to ever put in a plumbing system. I ran out of booze (and my brewer couldn't keep up with my population), and even when I designated a nearby lake as the water source...they stopped drinking (I was using i, but they refused to go drink from it?).

As I scrambled to dig out an aqueduct system, I: Flooded my crypt, got ambushed by goblins with no standing army, and had an elven caravan arrive.

This is why I love DF.

It's not the success stories. It's the endless ways a fortress can fail.

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    StregoneStregone VA, USARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bliss 101 wrote: »
    I made a huge mistake.

This is why I love DF.

It's not the success stories. It's the endless ways a fortress can fail.

I dunno. A fortress failing because the dwarves forget to drink isn't really fun IMO. Those types of things are funny the first time...

Stregone on
  • Options
    bamjobamjo Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I am ready to abandon my current 150+ dwarf fort. My fps is in the thirties even after slaughtering all the animals. I've also sent patrols around to trigger any ambushes, as I know they slow the game down significantly. Aside from fps problems productivity is crippled due to long hauling jobs and bad fort design. I think for my next fort I am going straight for the magma and putting everything around my magma forges. I'll get irrigation set up and just get a deep farm going. My current setup is way too spread out.

I'm thinking of embarking on a glacier. I haven't done that since the 40d days. Is there anything I should know about running a glacier fort in the latest version? I imagine it will be a lot easier because traders bring more stuff (ie wood) and caverns also provide wood.

bamjo on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I started a new fort, and all was going well...until I got ready to activate my planned reservoir system. I had accidentally linked some of the flood gates to the alternate switch (was using two switches, one for access tunnels, and one for actually draining the lakes), now everything is messed up.

I also made it 4 levels deep and 9x9, so it's taking forever to fill up and even then, might fail the entire fort.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm a bit stumped on how to make my Dwarves spar properly. I set up a squad, set them to train in a barracks but all they ever do is either individual drills or a novice dodger tries to teach the others and they never actually get anywhere. In about a year of training my squad of 10 increased about 10xp in whatever fields according to Dwarf Therapist.

Any way to streamline it better?

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Set them up in smaller squads and/or set the training minimum limit to half the squad size. They don't seem to train until they hit level 3 or so in their weapon skill in my games. You could also set up a danger room to train them, check it out on the wiki.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hmm makes sense, I'll try the danger room but it just feels like a lot like cheating. Suppose I'll just have to wait until someone shows up with a high weapon skill to train others.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is this as good a time as any to try dwarf fortress again? Or did something just break? Also, are dwarves really going to start pooping? Because, that will just be the funniest thing to ever happen to lets plays.

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Sadly pooping isn't in yet :P The next release which will probably happen soon has necromancers in it though.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    Canada_jezusCanada_jezus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I mean excrement will just open up so many doors into insanity. It is made of.... with menacing....

Oh god

Canada_jezus on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    just popping in to say dwarf fortress is so cool

its like a fantasy ant-farm

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yes but YOU are the queen!

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man, I haven't struck earth in forever and completely forgot what I was doing with respect to my layout.

It doesn't help that I seem to have embarked on a jewel encrusted blob of magnetite and malachite. The normally tight, orderly layout for my residential warrens have fallen victim to my hunger for shiny things. So now I'm sitting on a mountain of rough gems, and there's still no jeweler be found after 5 seasons.

Two 'clerks' though, whose only skill was 'adequate bookkeeping'

The first one was cool, he freed up my original bookkeeper, (who actually has other skills). Then number two showed up and now just sits around hauling shit and drinking my extremely limited supply of beer. I haven't come up with an appropriately menial task for him yet. I'm leaning toward fish cleaning, since my new Grand Master Fisherdwarf has been hauling in more mussels than I can handle (which, you guessed it, means they're rotting in the kitchen). That guy loves him some mussels, I just hope everyone else does since they can't seem to farm for shit yet, and I don't have any hunters.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Wow you're actually catching stuff? My fishers never do anything but spawn an endless stream of "Durist McFisherdwarf cancelled job, fishing, there is nothing to catch in the central cavern.

Edit: I wonder what would happen if I redirected a brook into my central cavern lakes that connect offmap...

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's sure to be fun.

wavecutter on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Wow you're actually catching stuff? My fishers never do anything but spawn an endless stream of "Durist McFisherdwarf cancelled job, fishing, there is nothing to catch in the central cavern.

Edit: I wonder what would happen if I redirected a brook into my central cavern lakes that connect offmap...

He's just pulling them out of the brook*, I don't know if that's inherently different than a cavern lake.

Other possibility: this biome seemed to imply a lot of wildlife, but there's like, two goats and the odd tigerman. Maybe it's got an unusual amount of fish?

*That brook is also now covered in [raw mussels] and [rotten mussels] because (I assume) I ran out of storage space for food at one point. He's a machine.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Haven';t played this in about.... two or three years.

Any really cool changes?

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Heaps. I'll name the three biggest I can think of:

Caverns, (semi) proper OpenGL acceleration. Dramatic overhaul of adventure mode/world gen stuff.

Lich-kings are forthcoming to add zombie sieges, with communicable zombie-ism!

(The resulting zombie's nature won't necessarily be evil.)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So I finally got a functioning fortress. I have 83 dwarfs and a few problems.

Out of 83 dwarfs, I have about 50 useful ones (rest either have no skills, super low skills, or bad traits). Out of those 50, 40 of them are constantly partying at my dual wells in the grand hall. The remaining 10 manage to do everything, except farm.

I have no god damn farmers. 3 hunters, no farmers. It's really tragic. I'm feeling the compulsion to restart and fix my layout, problem was it took me a couple hours to get my aqueduct system set up to feed the wells, which is always my issue when starting.

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    when did the game go 3d? I forget because I think it was about 2-3 years ago heh.

Military changed for better and worse, hospitals are in so you can perform surgery on dying dwarves, all maps have lava/water/caverns now, dwarves have different stat gains and personality, yeah i am missing about 99 different things toady has implemented, but a lot has changed since 2-3 years ago

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So I finally got a functioning fortress. I have 83 dwarfs and a few problems.

Out of 83 dwarfs, I have about 50 useful ones (rest either have no skills, super low skills, or bad traits). Out of those 50, 40 of them are constantly partying at my dual wells in the grand hall. The remaining 10 manage to do everything, except farm.

I have no god damn farmers. 3 hunters, no farmers. It's really tragic. I'm feeling the compulsion to restart and fix my layout, problem was it took me a couple hours to get my aqueduct system set up to feed the wells, which is always my issue when starting.

Just make them farmers. It may take a while, but they'll get good at it; and if you have a bunch of them they don't have to be good.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I did that, the 5 guys I made farmers (and stripped every other labor) just organize/attend well parties, it's been two season and they refuse to plant in my plots. I even triple checked and have everything set up right. I know it's just the personality of the game, but...arg!

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Can you make the meeting hall part of a "No Farmers" burrow? I don't know how to use burrows.

Tell them they can eat their meals when they pull them from the earth with their own two hands.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I bet you could, but they might get "no chairs" or whatever the related bad thoughts are.

Also they would more likely eat from your food stockpile, which I try to place adjacent to both farms and the dining hall for just this reason.

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I bet you could, but they might get "no chairs" or whatever the related bad thoughts are.

Also they would more likely eat from your food stockpile, which I try to place adjacent to both farms and the dining hall for just this reason.

You could offset this with a happy thought by building them a legendary, platinum, Soviet-style statue of a heroic farmsdwarf proudly tilling-his-fields-and-not-partying-all-god-damned-day by the seed stockpile.

Which I am now totally going to do anyway.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dwarves always bitch about the lack of chairs. If they wanted to sit, then they would sit on the ground.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Give them a table and chairs in the food stockpile, just for them, but don't make it a meeting hall.

Amikron Devalia on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Man, I haven't struck earth in forever and completely forgot what I was doing with respect to my layout.

It doesn't help that I seem to have embarked on a jewel encrusted blob of magnetite and malachite. The normally tight, orderly layout for my residential warrens have fallen victim to my hunger for shiny things. So now I'm sitting on a mountain of rough gems, and there's still no jeweler be found after 5 seasons.

Two 'clerks' though, whose only skill was 'adequate bookkeeping'

The first one was cool, he freed up my original bookkeeper, (who actually has other skills). Then number two showed up and now just sits around hauling shit and drinking my extremely limited supply of beer. I haven't come up with an appropriately menial task for him yet. I'm leaning toward fish cleaning, since my new Grand Master Fisherdwarf has been hauling in more mussels than I can handle (which, you guessed it, means they're rotting in the kitchen). That guy loves him some mussels, I just hope everyone else does since they can't seem to farm for shit yet, and I don't have any hunters.

I end up sorting 99% of my migrants into one of these roles that don't require prior skills:

Farmhand: All of the farming stuff except brewing and cooking (which require skill) and wood burning (which is covered below) + Fish cleaning.

Drone: Masonry, Engraving, Architecture, Pump Operating, Mechanics, Furnace Operating, Wood Burning

Digger: Mining, Masonry, Architecture, Pump Operating, Mechanics

Hunter: Hunting (these guys sometimes get killed but if they don't once they have decent marksmanship skills I move them over to the military)

edit: The idea is that the Drones (which are by far the most numerous) do lots of smoothing to level up engraving and generally keep busy. They also reset traps (hence mechanics) and help build structures (masonry, architecture).

However, this setup does assume you have a Manager and set the minimum skill level on your actual Mason and Mechanic workshops.

Drones also get drafted into suicide squads when things turn bad military-wise.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    What's a cavern?

Sheep on
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, the trick to avoiding parties is to not use tables, wells, or statues (or possibly other things) to define meeting halls. I used to have constant party problems but now I just don't use party-causing objects to define meeting halls (I define them in the zones menu instead), and now I have 0 parties.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    You guys are crazy, dwarves gotta party! In my meeting halls the walls are lined with beer and rum!

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's worth noting that parties skill up your dwarves speaking skills. Which they will use to make other dwarves chill out when they are unhappy before they go into a tantrum (or to calm them down after).

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sheep wrote: »
    What's a cavern?

underground caves that are huge and have nasty things living in them, you pretty much have to dig through them to reach lava and adamantite

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Sheep wrote: »
    What's a cavern?

underground caves that are huge and have nasty things living in them, you pretty much have to dig through them to reach lava and adamantite

In Adv. mode they are a nearly infinite labyrinth of tunnels that are populated by increasingly terrible terrors as you go deeper on the z-axis. They can have lakes, rivers, lava flows, magma pools, Forgotten Beasts (which are randomly generated super-mutants along the lines of Mega-beasts that roam the surface), and various indigenous species and tribal societies.

They are the same in Dwarf mode (in so much as they are products of world-gen), you just don't really get to go exploring nearly as much, or in the same way.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Alright, so I'm a cheater. I forgot to check if I had coal on my map before embark, so I dfrevealed to see if there was any (there wasn't). Lame.

BUT!

There is an underground, multi-level city of various mutants, walls, rooms, and everything. A proper dungeon. And so my fortress* has finally found its purpose.

100 z-levels down, above a great lava sea, and on the opposite side of my 6x6 embark, an undwarfly presence taints the deep. I shall eradicate them, and turn their foul lair into a monument of industry.

Manifest Destiny, mother fuckers.

The logistics should be fun to work out. Or Fun to work out. We'll see.

*Shieldedhammers or something.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The logistics should be fun to work out. Or Fun to work out. We'll see.

Can't it be both?

Won't it be both?

MechMantis on