As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Witcher 2: Judgement Day

DramDram Old SaltRegistered User regular
edited May 2011 in Games and Technology
So I haven't seen a witcher thread recently, and since the search function still seems to be buggered I've decided to create a new thread.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTHnjePQHPo

According to the developers, they're really gone out of their way to give the play more control over the direction of the story and their play style:
thewitcher2techdetailsp.jpg

There's been a lot of info released on the game recently. Possibly most important are the minimum system requirements released about 2 months ago in the Developer Diary engine showcase. If anyone nowadays has a PC that cannot run this, I'd be very surprised!

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS:
Dual Core 2.2GHz CPU
XP - 1GB RAM
Vista/7 - 2GB RAM
Geforce 8800 512MB or similar AMD card

The combat was one of the major complaints people had about the original Witcher game. In response to this CD Projekt RED stated they were retooling the combat for the sequel, taking direct inspiration from Batman: Arkham Asylum. From the look of the recent gameplay vid (pre-beta build) on gamespot they've kept that promise.

The Witcher 2 combat footage

Below I'll post other relevant videos as they're released
In this video we get a nice look at the scale of the environment. There's also some examples of large scale combat, which is also showcased a little in the developer diary engine showcase video (above). However, the dev commentary and gameplay footage ends at about 8 minutes. So you may wish to save yourself some time and stop watching at that point.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLnxOOFudYs
This of course is an example of the non-linear gameplay & choices available to players. I'm sure everyone has seen it by now, but it's still entertaining to watch. I never noticed the bit at the end of this video, with the guard and the torch, until yesterday. A nice touch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhFFMU-k9m8

Dram on

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm still on the fence..the first one was certainly fun, but not without its issues. But it looks like they've recognized that and are working on it.
    Are women still treated as mere trophies in this one? I mean sure, I'm a guy and I love me some boobs, but The Witcher was ridiculous in that aspect. Does that guy really need to feel up every single woman he meets?

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I managed to grind my way through no.1 a little while ago so i'd have an import for 2, so i'm interested to see what's carried over. I wonder how different the three introductions will be.

I'm definitely hyped for the sequel after absorbing most of the info they've released - it looks like they'll address most of the complaints I had. Notably boring combat, poor voice acting and too few, rather bland environments.

It looks ridiculously good too; there are some awesome recent shots in this NeoGaf thread.

Edit: This might answer your question Maz:
    the-witcher-2_rdgxe.jpg

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    AntithesisAntithesis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Maz- wrote: »
    I'm still on the fence..the first one was certainly fun, but not without its issues. But it looks like they've recognized that and are working on it.
    Are women still treated as mere trophies in this one? I mean sure, I'm a guy and I love me some boobs, but The Witcher was ridiculous in that aspect. Does that guy really need to feel up every single woman he meets?

Aye, all signs point to that being accounted for.

Still due May-ish, yes?

Antithesis on
  • Options
    DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Well so far all I've heard is that nudity and sex is still in, but the trophy cards are gone.
    I managed to grind my way through no.1 a little while ago so i'd have an import for 2, so i'm interested to see what's carried over. I wonder how different the three introductions will be.

I'm definitely hyped for the sequel after absorbing most of the info they've released - it looks like they'll address most of the complaints I had. Notably boring combat, poor voice acting and too few, rather bland environments.

I'd wager that the 3 different introductions are possibly the 3 different methods of escape we see in the dungeon trailer.

I believe the voice acting was improved for the most part in the Enhanced Edition. They re-recorded almost every bit of dialogue in the first game.

Dram on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I should get round to properly starting the first game, got up to the first village after I bought it in the Steam sale and haven't played it since.

Enjoyed the first part in the fortress but can imagine it opens up a lot more after that.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Strangely enough one of my favorite things about The Witcher was the hair. I liked that it avoided the "plastic hair" approach used by games like TES and Dragon Age. Of course the complex morality was just a great add-on.

This is a day-one purchase for me.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I should get round to properly starting the first game, got up to the first village after I bought it in the Steam sale and haven't played it since.

Enjoyed the first part in the fortress but can imagine it opens up a lot more after that.

It does. Very much so. It's often said that the tutorial/prologue and act 1 are the slowest parts of the game. Once you get into the city it really gets into its stride.

Dram on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Dram wrote: »
    I'd wager that the 3 different introductions are possibly the 3 different methods of escape we see in the dungeon trailer.

I believe the voice acting was improved for the most part in the Enhanced Edition. They re-recorded almost every bit of dialogue in the first game.

I didn't realise there were three distinct ways of doing that level, I just figured it was different play styles in the same area. That's kind of disappointing if true.

I did play the EE but I still felt a lot of the dialogue was a little stilted, and generally not very well delivered, but at least part of that was down to the often weird sounding script. I'm guessing it was translated.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's amazing how butt ugly the new Dragon Age game looks in comparison to this.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, there are lots of people who rabidly defend DA2, but TW2 is objectively several orders of magnitude better looking and is almost certainly being produced on a much lower budget (granted dev' costs are lower in Poland).

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    KryntekKryntek Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dram wrote: »

Well so far all I've heard is that nudity and sex is still in, but the trophy cards are gone.

The dungeon isn't the beginning of the game. The three beginings probably correspond to the three endings in the first game.

Kryntek on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    In regards to the dungeon level and the 3 beginnings, I'm just guessing based on what we've been told and what we saw in the dungeon trailer.

In regards to the graphics, CD Projekt RED have stated that even though Witcher 2 is PC exclusive for now, they designed everything in a way so as to not completely rule out a console version later. The radial menu in one of the above videos being a good example of this. Whether the graphics of a console version will look anywhere near as good as what we've seen is really anyones guess though.

Dram on
  • Options
    ElosElos Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Waaaait a minute, the premium edition of this is only 31 EUR at Play.com? Preordered so hard.

Elos on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Keep in mind that the premium edition is basically the regular edition. It does come with extra stuff, but as far as I can tell, all retail copies are premium. The actual collector's edition is QUITE a bit more expensive.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Kryntek wrote: »
    The dungeon isn't the beginning of the game. The three beginings probably correspond to the three endings in the first game.

Oh! That actually makes a lot more sense. I keep forgetting you'll be able to import your save from TW1.

Dram on
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jeeeeeezuz, lookin' at those NeoGaf screenshots, The Witcher 2 is easily the best looking RPG around.'

I've had the first game for years, but I've only just begun playing it in earnest. I'm slowly making my way through Act 2.

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    There's save importing? Damn that means I'll have to finish The Witcher now. I ended up stopping right after going through the Act in Vizima with the rebels and Flaming Rose fighting in the streets. I just couldn't take another swamp and more of those stupid exploding leeches. It seemed like a really weird way to top off what was one of the high points in the game as well.

Also while DA2 doesn't look bad (at least in comparison to DA1), it certainly looks terrible compared to this game. What engine is the game using?

finnith on
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    finnith wrote: »
    There's save importing? Damn that means I'll have to finish The Witcher now. I ended up stopping right after going through the Act in Vizima with the rebels and Flaming Rose fighting in the streets. I just couldn't take another swamp and more of those stupid exploding leeches. It seemed like a really weird way to top off what was one of the high points in the game as well.

Also while DA2 doesn't look bad (at least in comparison to DA1), it certainly looks terrible compared to this game. What engine is the game using?

Certainly not NWN's Aurora engine.

good god what a kludgy mess that was.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    KryntekKryntek Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    finnith wrote: »

They're making their own engine with parts licensed from other technologies. The video in the op under the second spoiler goes into detail.

Kryntek on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So they're making it available to other devs. Hopefully Bioware will pick it up or create a better engine for DA3.

If anything I at least want more devs to get the hair down right. Even the character models and animation are great with RED.

finnith on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    While Geralt's hair isn't as flowy as it was due to him adopting the hairstyle from the comics, it certainly looks miles ahead of Dragon Age's.

If it's ahead of Skyrim remains to be seen, we still haven't seen Skyrim in motion.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Isn't Skyrim being made with a retooled Gamebryo engine? That doesn't fill me with confidence.

Dram on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    They've specifically stated it's a completely new engine

however whether or not we believe Bethesda's pre-release hype machine after Oblivion is another matter.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    holy geez those screens O_O

hullo geralt
    oRnur.jpg

where have i seen you before?

oh right, you dyed your hair!
    just-cause-2-20080129091532298.jpg

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    As far as I'm concerned, there are no RPGs that exist this year except this one. Maybe DX:HR depending on how good that one cooks up.

For CDP RED's first game, The Witcher had some growing pains, but the support they poured into it post-release was virtually unmatched and has endeared me as a day one customer for W2. It's also fortunate that the game looks to improve everything I liked about the first game and fix up the stuff that I was less pleased about, which is something I can't say about, say, DA2.

Oh, and it's not $60 either. Suck it, EA.

(Also, I've learned to not listen to a damn thing Bethesda says about their games before they actually release. Especially when they start using the term "Radiant" again. ffff)

Zxerol on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I want to import my decisions into The Witcher 2, but I really don't have a save anymore and don't want to play the first again. When it first came out, I played a good portion but eventually got bored. I later went back to it and tried again, before stopping when they announced the Enhanced Edition. I then bought the Enhanced Edition and finally beat it. It was a great game, but if I have to do it again I may snap.

I hope I can either find a similar save or that the second game will let me re-choose my decisions at the beginning.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »
    (Also, I've learned to not listen to a damn thing Bethesda says about their games before they actually release. Especially when they start using the term "Radiant" again. ffff)

yeah, that Radiant AI turned out to be quite dim :P

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I really hope that someone creates a save editor for the first one, just so that I can try out some different things. I've finished the game by being allied with both sides, and then being neutral. (Incidently, that's a great part of the game, where in the final battle through the streets you can
    just tell the leaders of both sides that they are hopeless, and everything they are doing is pointless, and they agree and go mope in their corners.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, OP needs some of those hot screenshots. Witcher 1 was no slouch, it's easily my second favorite WRPG ever.
    (First being Bloodlines.)

I have high expectations.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Yeah, OP needs some of those hot screenshots. Witcher 1 was no slouch, it's easily my second favorite WRPG ever.

Isn't the Witcher technically an ERPG?

I guess not, if you just have two catecories of RPG. WRPG, and JRPG(or true ERPG I suppose).

Edit: None the less, if this game is as impressive as the first, but without a huge swamp, it will be so much better.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I dunno, E has more asian connotations. Maybe EERPG.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Xtarath wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Isn't the Witcher technically an ERPG?

Technically, but you know what I mean. :P

Also, let's make DA2 look bad.

ME0001367801_2.jpg

94607dce1af4388ca9f5262791e55.jpg

the-witcher-2_rdgxe.jpg

the-witcher-2_smhft.jpg

the-witcher-2_7baps.jpg

the-witcher-2_heub1.jpg

the-witcher-2_8qfu4.jpg

Here's some rad music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3i7g7xeLGi0

And some other awesome music I found by association:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp6HjzIYfm4

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I reckon that CD projekt have the right idea saying 'People shouldn't bash on either of them. Fantasy rpgs are so rare, that people should be happy to be getting two good ones at around the same time.'

Also, witcher 1 was rather pretty. It had some amazing moments. Especially in the 4th act. That was quite possibly my favourite part of any videogame ever.

Lalabox on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't think the terms "fantasy rpg" and "rare" belong in the same sentence, ever. If I had to pick the two biggest setting/genres, it's easily fantasy rpg and sci-fi shooter.

And god damn do those screenshots look good. And the "inspired by" songs are mostly great, they need to use Beltaine and Rimead for the whole thing.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, I suppose I need to buckle down and get through the first one. Got it for $5 during the Steam holiday sale and it's a bargain at that price but something else has always gotten my attention after a few hours.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I gotta say, I'm really digging the armour design for those soldiers. I don't know, I guess I've finally just grown weary of PAULDRONS&SPIKES. :(

Except in Warhammer of course.

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm not sure, but I think that second song is a traditional Polish(?) song. I've found a LOT of versions of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G64FQ1FywU&feature=related

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This is gonna get so bought. I can wait though. I have another fantasy RPG I'm playing through right now that will tide me over. Curiously enough, it's abbreviated similarly. 2W2, instead of TW2. It's a good game! Amazingly enough.
    2 Worlds 2. Yes the first one was horrible. But the second is pretty good.

I picked up the TW:EE during the Christmas sale and I'm going back through it again. As usual my memory is poor and I remember it being prettier with better combat... but I'm getting back into the flow.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The combat is hands down the worst thing in the game.

finnith on
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, I loved the loading screens in The Witcher. There were so damn awesome looking.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.