Options

[Guild Wars] You can still get Hall of Monument rewards for GW2

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I'm still agonizing over basically losing 170 ecto. It turns the taste of the victories of the weekend into ash in my mouth,
    To be fair, I don't believe contents of a gift are determined until they are opened, so in all probability if you had opened it you would have gotten a Norgu tonic or something.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Entriech wrote: »
    I'm still agonizing over basically losing 170 ecto. It turns the taste of the victories of the weekend into ash in my mouth,
    To be fair, I don't believe contents of a gift are determined until they are opened, so in all probability if you had opened it you would have gotten a Norgu tonic or something.

I somehow savor the idea of him turning into Norgu. . .

I am not sure why this is so funny to me.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I had a Norgu tonic. I think I traded it for a lockpick or something. ;P

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    I had a Norgu tonic. I think I traded it for a lockpick or something. ;P

That won't stop me from using Texmod to replace you with Norgu in all of our forays together.

• Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    Traded an unopened sixth b-day present for 15 z keys. The dude got an EL Kuunavang.

Oh well. Heh.
    This is why you never ask them what they got.

It's like playing pass the parcel, just throw it to them and run the hell away.

Fantastic
  • Options
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    Congrats! It's slow going at this point, but with no GW2 release date, we have time. Still grinding vanquishes myself, getting ever closer to 50.

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    good luck. i was pretty played out shortly after i hit 30/50. also, diablo 3 came out at that point. on top of that, i started figuring out how to play dota2.

i'd give you any stuff i have laying around to help with obsidian or weapons.

• Options
    It's definitely slow going now. I think the quickest approach is going to be 6 weapons, mostly oppressors though I'll need a couple destroyers as well, then a whole bunch of title farming. Going to try for the booze hound title, too.

I still haven't figured out the survivor title set up. I gave it a shot once and couldn't get it. Need to retry that.

Probably the hardest thing is going to be HMing some of the missions where you REALLY need multiple people, since no one is on lol.

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    from what i've heard the most foolproof way to do survivor is to hoard HM eotn story mode books and then turn them in all at once

also if you need people for a mission you can always ask in here!

• Options
    edited June 2012
    I think the most foolproof method in my case is going to be the afk survivor build, because I'd have to hoard a shit ton more EOTN books than I really feel like farming to do that. Wasn't it something above a dozen?

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    oh right i forgot about that one, do that one

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    The trick to the AFK survivor is less the build and more being in just the right spot. If you're too close, you get overwhelmed, if you're too far away, you'll lose your XP bonus from a scroll. I didn't even use the AFK build, I just used 7 Hero Player Support (And it wasn't even tweaked and tailored for the titans).

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I don't even really need the scroll. I'm more than willing to just let the damn thing run for four days.

• Options
    So I guess my vacation from all things HoM should now come to a close.

It's funny because the new imbagon is infinitely better than the older imbagon (I.E it's much more active and doesn't rely on the stupid shout ending echo mechanic). And of course I learn about it right after I finish my 30 HoM points.

• Options
    If I could put a beard on my sword I'd name it the beardchette.

• Options
    Beardbow. Long range, fast fire, bad arc.

Taming the pet beard is hard.

• Options
    If that seems strangely out of place it's because it was meant for the GW2 thread. :)

• Options
    Oh, I thought we were just bleeding it over so no one felt left out.

• Options
    Oh, I thought we were just bleeding it over so no one felt left out.

We can go with that.

• Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    I don't even really need the scroll. I'm more than willing to just let the damn thing run for four days.
    You want the scroll anyway. The longer you let it run, the more opportunities you have for your heroes to do something stupid, and trust me, they will do something stupid.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    You want the scroll anyway. The longer you let it run, the more opportunities you have for your heroes to do something stupid, and trust me, they will do something stupid.

Also: what else are you going to do with the damned things?

• Options
    I'd have to buy the scroll, I think. But fine, I'll buy the damned scroll. :P

• Options
    hell, i got a bunch of scrolls sitting around you could have :P i'm not active right now, and not going to use them.

i always liked the look of this paragon build. kill things with fire.

• Options
    Kafka87Kafka87 Registered User regular
    I am playing GW1 to tide me over until GW2 is released. I know the guild is probably hella quiet but I would appreciate an invitation anyway, so I can wallow in slightly less loneliness. My character is called Dedryke Cannonball.

Stuff gets hard quickly. I keep dying to stupid missions that are really early. I think half the problem may be I don't know what on earth I am supposed to be doing with my heroes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hehe yeah the guild is dead as hell, but an invite has been sent!

• Options
    Kafka87 wrote: »
    I am playing GW1 to tide me over until GW2 is released. I know the guild is probably hella quiet but I would appreciate an invitation anyway, so I can wallow in slightly less loneliness. My character is called Dedryke Cannonball.

Stuff gets hard quickly. I keep dying to stupid missions that are really early. I think half the problem may be I don't know what on earth I am supposed to be doing with my heroes.
    wrt heroes, get a Necromancer and Ritualist as soon as possible and work towards this build: http://www.gwpvx.com/Build:Team_-_7_Hero_Player_Support
    Unlock skills for heroes by PvPing and trading in your Balthazar reputation for skills at the trader at the Great Temple of Balthazar. If you have access to Factions this is very easy to do by way of playing Fort Aspenwood and Jade Quarry. If you don't have this it takes longer, but your best bet would be to play Random Arena whenever it's the daily Zaishen quest as per http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Random_Arena_(Zaishen_quest) and play the tutorial but do not hand in the final quest every day (24hr cooldown), the mock matches net you ~2k rep.

• Options
    Sorry I missed you Aldo. I've been doing dungeons and just alt tabbing out when there's something else to do, so I end up spending the entire night in level 2 of the menagerie or whatever. For some reason I decided that the EotN title was my next goal, and I still have like 20 dungeons, half HM half NM, to do total before I can call that one done.

• Options
    Sorry I missed you Aldo. I've been doing dungeons and just alt tabbing out when there's something else to do, so I end up spending the entire night in level 2 of the menagerie or whatever. For some reason I decided that the EotN title was my next goal, and I still have like 20 dungeons, half HM half NM, to do total before I can call that one done.

I figured you were AFK'ing Survivor or something.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Finished Factions and got a full display in HoM now. Also, last mission is a bitch, but I kicked its ass finally

spoilered for hero names and some quest text
    egsAS.jpg

Aldo on
  • Options
    Nice work

For future reference I think the elementalist henchmen are more valuable than heroes in that one because the henchmen get celestial skills : x

• Options
    Nice work

For future reference I think the elementalist henchmen are more valuable than heroes in that one because the henchmen get celestial skills : x
    It evens out, because if you play with henchies or other players you get additional mechanisms to deal with: random teleportation to other isles with mobs on them and additional mobs with the boss.

I think the two Norn skills I picked (Finish Him and You Move Like A Dwarf) made a huge difference, more so than the Stance Removal I had equipped on earlier runs. Nuking the heck out of Shiro when he's meditating is super important.

• Options
    earthbind spirit and 2-3 knockdowns work wonders on Imperial Sanctum :D

• Options
    Let me toss out again how much I hate the trading system in GW1 and how much I look forward to the GW2 EVERYTHING TAKES PLACE ON THE AH system.

I need to buy war supplies. I know for a fact that every day there are tons of people selling the war supplies I need. I have to end up in the same channel at the same time as them, while we're all bouncing from channel to channel, town to town, advertising, or find them on Argos Soft and whisper them to link up.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    Double post.

Darkewolfe on
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    I still bemoan the lack of direct trade. Ever since "the tunnel" in EQ1, I've always found a way to haggle face to face with people, and forcing everything through the AH. I loved spamadan, and the chaos of it. I loved buying bulk there and selling in specific areas at a profit, and leveraging my game knowledge to turn a profit (buy pets there, sell in EOTN, for example). Yeah, trade chat gets spammy, but it also makes the world feel more alive. I thought the combination of spamadan and the materials trader was perfect, since you couldn't mess with the market too dramatically, but there were still niches to be found where I could play a merchant role. To me it's a whole separate game they've cut out by doing this.

• Options
    Madpoet wrote: »
    I still bemoan the lack of direct trade. Ever since "the tunnel" in EQ1, I've always found a way to haggle face to face with people, and forcing everything through the AH. I loved spamadan, and the chaos of it. I loved buying bulk there and selling in specific areas at a profit, and leveraging my game knowledge to turn a profit (buy pets there, sell in EOTN, for example). Yeah, trade chat gets spammy, but it also makes the world feel more alive. I thought the combination of spamadan and the materials trader was perfect, since you couldn't mess with the market too dramatically, but there were still niches to be found where I could play a merchant role. To me it's a whole separate game they've cut out by doing this.
    Normally there's a kind of market square for face-to-face trade in big MMOs as well, it's mostly reserved for the most expensive items so that people want to avoid the AH fees and can trade against other items instead of only gold.

Also: keep in mind most players don't want to be a trader.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    A game that some of us can barely even play. Seriously, it took me weeks to sell a bow I knew I was worth a decent amount of E.

Good riddance to that mess.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Madpoet wrote: »

I hate you and everything you stand for.

I mean, kidding but not really. The thing you are advocating for is something I despise, and if even an ounce of your direct trade bullshit weasels into the game I'll be disappointed. All it does is favor people willing to spend more time spamming chat.

It's really just a time sink. If you have time to spend spamming for 2 hours to make deals you can trade at better prices. Having both a material trader and direct trade just means that where possible people will cut better deals in direct trade, and people who use the material trader will face a double premium.

If you want to have a merchanting game, you still can. Just learn to be a futures broker in the AH instead.

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    It's an interesting decision on their part, if nothing else. I can see where they're coming from, I just don't agree. There is already very little reason to talk to people in game, this is just one less. It's going to feel like a co-op game with widely varying levels of AI running around.

The GW1 method let people trade time and smarts for money. And it worked well. The material trader made sure that items that were needed to do anything were always in supply, and limited the gouging. There was always the option sell fast or maximize profit. Shop for bargains or pay full price. Sure, it favors people willing to spend time spamming chat, just like pvp rewards people willing to spend time fighting over the same map over and over, or raiding rewards people who learn the boss fights. It beats chat being nothing but Chuck Norris jokes.