As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[iPhone/iPad] games: Ghost Trick out. First two chapters, free!

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    schmads wrote: »
    Can you recommend any good third-party covers that protect the back as well, without adding too much bulk? "Smart"-ness isn't required :)

I edited my post with a link.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So at 4x the resolution of the iPad 2, does that mean that most games/apps are going to look blurrier by comparison? Or will they get an instant upscale or something?

Going by the scaling that was done with old iPhone apps to the iPhone 4 Retina screen, you will get instant upscaling pixel-doubling (I realize that upscaling typically means GOOD scaling, which isn't the same thing), but it added a good bit of aliasing (at least in my eyes). I can tell immediately if an app has been scaled up properly (by the dev) or not, and it totally depends upon the art style of whether it looks bad to me. Now, this isn't necessarily directly comparable, because we're working with a higher resolution (but on a larger screen) to start with, and going to a crazy resolution, so it may not be as noticable. If you're unsure, I would wait for people to start getting them in hand and that will really answer all of these questions (hopefully with screenshots and such).

Dracil, that is a good point, I didn't really take the CPU change into account. I am hoping that the improved GPU of the new iPad will make up for the bump in resolution without too much penalty. I don't suppose we know what the CPU clock is on the new iPad, but it could be possible that they bumped it up to help with this too, and that's why the much larger battery doesn't result in longer battery life (or that could all be the new screen/GPU). And thanks for the case recommendation!

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzhozsCXKC0

Looks like it could be a fun dungeon crawler/Diablo-like and a fun time waster until D3 comes out assuming it launches alongside the 16th release.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    schmads wrote: »
    Can you recommend any good third-party covers that protect the back as well, without adding too much bulk? "Smart"-ness isn't required :)

Check out the selection at Monoprice. Some of those may not be great, but at < $5 I think it's worth the risk to buy one and try it out. Great place to find chargers and such, as well.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzhozsCXKC0

Looks like it could be a fun dungeon crawler/Diablo-like and a fun time waster until D3 comes out assuming it launches alongside the 16th release.
    I suspect the mobs will just give XP where the Punch-Out fights will drop the actual loot.

Also, Adventure Bar Story is out for a buck. It's the closest thing to Recettear (or more closely the Atelier series) on the iOS.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    damn I'm going to have to buy that adventure bar story... and apparently my account was disabled for security reasons. what the hell.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    damn I'm going to have to buy that adventure bar story... and apparently my account was disabled for security reasons. what the hell.

This is what happens when luck is your dump stat.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    they made me change my password. not sure why. I hadn't messed it up at all and there haven't been a lot of purchases on my account.

was odd.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    they made me change my password. not sure why. I hadn't messed it up at all and there haven't been a lot of purchases on my account.

was odd.

It means someone else tried to log in to your account somewhere on the apple network a few times and got it locked. It was happening to me on a weekly basis for a while but nothing ever came of it and whoever it was eventually gave up.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    They've also done it a few times for me when logging on from a different state. But YMMV.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    http://youtu.be/lxI1L1RiSJQ?t=3m4s

For some reason the video doesn't seem to play in-line here, but click on it again and it'll go to the youtube page.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

was odd.

I had to randomly change my password too. Last week I think.

Also, this Mass Effect game, how does it sync with my ME3 game? Is it fairly painless?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

was odd.

I had to randomly change my password too. Last week I think.

Also, this Mass Effect game, how does it sync with my ME3 game? Is it fairly painless?

If the Dead Space iOS game is any indication, yes... should be pain free.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    If you go to the options there is a little origin icon, click on that and sign in once, and that's it.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Has anyone played Adventure Bar Story? I blundered into a Kotaku article on it, and holy shit:
    The best way to describe Adventure Bar Story, out today for iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch, might be "Final Fantasy meets Animal Crossing."

Though this new simulation-roleplaying game can't boast the narrative depth of the former or the meticulous attention to detail of the latter, it's still a charming adventure with a fantastic soundtrack and more content than you might expect from a $1 mobile game.

You play a perky bartender, charged with saving your restaurant from the Evil Rich Guy next door. To do so, you'll have to buff up your menu and attract enough customers to stay in business for the long haul. To do that, you'll have to cook up a storm, whipping up a delicious potpourrie of delicacies that range from dragon omelettes to hot dogs. You can experiment with recipes based on the ingredients you find out in the game's fields and dungeons, where you'll fight monsters in rudimentary turn-based combat to earn their body parts and morsels.

You'll just have to get used to a few annoying quirks. The controls aren't great—developer ZigZag Games attempts to bypass the touchscreen's limitations by adding an overlay with a directional pad and an OK button, but things would be far more pleasant with a real controller. The translation is also subpar. Frequent grammatical errors and typos might have been the norm for Japanese-translated games 20 years ago, but they're unacceptable in 2012.

But hey, it's still fun. And in many ways, Adventure Bar Story reminds me of the cooking minigame in Konami-developed RPG Suikoden II, aka my favorite game of all time. It gets points just for that.

http://kotaku.com/5891553/mix-drinks-battle-slimes-and-cook-dragons-in-adventure-bar-story

If the game is even half as fantastic as the description sounds, I'm all over it.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

was odd.

Same. Noticed they required at least capital letter this time.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    I'm new to Apple.

If I buy games and songs for an iPad, then get an iPhone, can I transfer them and play on both?

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I'm new to Apple.

If I buy games and songs for an iPad, then get an iPhone, can I transfer them and play on both?

Yes.

• Options
    I'm new to Apple.

Yup... just sign in with your Apple ID, then sync from iTunes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'm new to Apple.

Yep, either by redownloading them on the iPhone (for free), or by syncing your iPad to your computer and then syncing the iPhone.

• Options
    That's awesome.

Why has this stuff gotta be so 'spensive, my woman is going to kill me when she gets home D:

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    That's awesome.

Why has this stuff gotta be so 'spensive, my woman is going to kill me when she gets home D:

A side benefit of this is being able to share music/apps/movies with your significant other. As long as you both set up the same Apple ID on your devices for the store, you can share apps and such without having to purchase them twice.

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    I'd totally pay money for a dragon omelet.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    rargle bargle fixed now!

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    About to try adventure bar story. Will come back with impressions

Ok so about 20 minutes in. The opening makes you able to make the two simplest recipes but lets you immediately go to the first dungeon (the field outside town) which is covered in ingredients. The battles are pretty simple and skills seem to be automatic effects for now at least. your options starting out are attack/item/defend/escape.
    Experimenting and each new ingredient hint at recipes you can learn if you find just one more piece. The combat is fairly basic. The story doesn't really seem to progress after the opening until you reach higher ranks for your bar. Some recipes seem to have events tied to them. Like I made an apple pie, a Mage showed up, loved it and joined my party (yay). I'll see if magic changes combat later.

There's three control schemes. Onscreen dpad, touch to tell her where to go and drag to make her move. I didn't like drag at all. It was too spotty. I haven't tried touch yet but it seems like it would have the same problems. The dpad is surprisingly the easiest way for me to control it although movement is a little fast which is a pain for one space wide doors trying to line up getting in once in a while.
    The controls in menus are kind of awkward though. Swipes go up and down menu items. Then as far as I can tell you have to double tap to select anything (or the touch response is spotty, not sure).

Overall it's fairly fun and sort of combines recettear with suikoden 2 cooking system and breath of fire battles. Pretty good on battery too. I played on an iPhone 4S

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Thanks for giving it a whirl, sounds absolutely worth 99 cents.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    yeah I think it's fun. It scratches that old school turn based combat itch. the cooking system is neat too

• Options
    Man, looking into what games are available on iPad, I'm so excited right now!

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Peggle/HD, Pac-Man: CE, and PvZ are on sale for 99 cents each. PvZ HD is $3.

So many games already bought, but nothing to play them on.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options

Sword and Sworcery is a MUST play. Only thing is you'll play it once and be done with it... but it's quite an experience!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    I kicked the habit and I'm scared to look, but did Dungeon Raid ever get a iPad port? If so, fraggle, that's the one to get.

• Options

Sword and Sworcery is a MUST play. Only thing is you'll play it once and be done with it... but it's quite an experience!

I'll second this. It was one of the best games (on any platform) that I played last year.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I kicked the habit and I'm scared to look, but did Dungeon Raid ever get a iPad port? If so, fraggle, that's the one to get.
    Supposedly it's in progress, along with an android version. It's perfectly fine scaled up in the meantime though

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cubelovercubelover Registered User regular
    For all those waiting on a new iOS Kairosoft game, we should be playing Epic Astro Story shortly.

http://kairospot.net/community/index.php?threads/epic-astro-story-coming-to-ios.2628/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "The expanding media is a system pacifying and distracting consumers from the oppressive drudgery of their lives" - Digital Play
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I started Superbrothers, but never finished it. Maybe I should spring for the iPad version...

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    I started Superbrothers, but never finished it. Maybe I should spring for the iPad version...

My one suggestion is to make sure you're wearing headphones. The music in that game is fantastic.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    cubelover wrote: »
    For all those waiting on a new iOS Kairosoft game, we should be playing Epic Astro Story shortly.

http://kairospot.net/community/index.php?threads/epic-astro-story-coming-to-ios.2628/

I've played this one on Android. It seems much more complex, there's and there's an RPG aspect, though I couldn't get quite as into it (maybe I'm getting burnt out). The last Kairosoft game I really had a lot of fun with was Pocket League Story.

3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I still think Mega Mall Story was my favorite Kairosoft game. I think it was the sim tower aspect. I enjoyed venture town, but did not really get the school one, and grand prix story just seemed a drag.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I still think Mega Mall Story was my favorite Kairosoft game. I think it was the sim tower aspect. I enjoyed venture town, but did not really get the school one, and grand prix story just seemed a drag.

I haven't enjoyed any of them since Game Dev Story. All the others seem overly complex and poorly explained. I spent over an hour fucking around in the school one and had no idea what I was doing at all. Same with Grand Prix. I never tried Venture Town, though.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »

I haven't enjoyed any of them since Game Dev Story. All the others seem overly complex and poorly explained. I spent over an hour fucking around in the school one and had no idea what I was doing at all. Same with Grand Prix. I never tried Venture Town, though.

Mega Mall Story is not to be missed.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
This discussion has been closed.