As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D 4E PbP] War of the Burning Sky Act 1: The Scouring of Gate Pass (IC)

• Options
    squishy-blobsquishy-blob Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Titania puts out the remaining embers in her clothes and mutters to herself "I've really gotta do something about this damn fire every time I teleport." Gathering her bearings she quickly locates the elf and charges back in to aid her companions.
    Move Action: Move to H9
    Standard Action: Charge to E9 Attacking elf:
    1d20+4+1(charge) = 8 Miss

COLOR="Lime"]Up Next: Swain[/COLOR COLOR="Cyan"]On Deck: Torrent (and Round 8)[/COLOR

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    Bp1580Bp1580 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Swain ran around the angry elf, trying to find an opening for an attack. He didn't see any, but Traorin had one...or so he thought. The elf raised his sword and blocked the blow...somehow. It was truly amazing the strength he had, even on the verge of death! Their enemy was certainly resilient, at the very least...
    Move action: Move to C9

Standard Action: Commander's Strike on D8

Attack Roll: 1d20+3 → [9,3] = (FFS)

COLOR="Cyan"]Up Next: Torrent (and Round 8)[/COLOR COLOR="Lime"]On Deck: The End of this Encounter[/COLOR

Bp1580 on
  • Options
    TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Spy vs Spy! Round 8

Torrent swings the flat of her axe straight into the elf's face, nearly knocking him off-balance, and drawing more blood in the process.

"Let's finish this! He has to know where Rivereye is being held captive!"

Torrent:
    Standard Action: Battleaxe against Larion
    Battleaxe (std; at-will) * Weapon
    +6 vs. AC; 1d10+3 damage.
    Attack Roll: 24 vs AC HIT!
    Damage Roll: 12 damage!

Map (Round 8):
    Fourth Floor:
    DepFloor4Round8.jpg

A big thanks for Illianther for so graciously hosting the images once Photobucket works

Initiative:
    Areneth Thalant 26
    Summer Storm 19
    Dorn Kir 17
    Larion, Elf Spy(Elite) 16
    Lightning Generator (Trap) 16
    Wisp Solons 15 average
    Swain C. Angevin 11
    Titania Shaylee Delayed
    Traorin Xinskarr 5
    Torrent 4

Here's how it goes: Allies/enemies take turns out of order in a group/block.

Stats:
    (Floor 4: G4) Araneth HP 21/25
    Blind (Until SONT)
    (Floor 4: G8) Dorn HP 23/28 +5 Temp HP
    Dazed (save ends)
    Blind (Until SONT)
    (Floor 4: C6) Summer HP 19/27
    Blind (Until SONT)
    (Floor 4: C9) Swain HP 21/24 +5 Temp HP
    (Floor 4: E9) Titania HP 13/24
    (Floor 4: D8) Traorin HP 30/33
    Form of Mountain’s Thunder (Resist 3 all, +1 AC, once per round a marked enemy he hits while in this form suffers thunder damage equal to his strength mod )
    Blind (Until SONT)
    (Floor 4: C9) Wisp Solon #1 HP 0/54 Dead!
    (Floor 4: D9) Larion, Elf Spy (Elite) HP 6/102 Bloodied!
    Marked by Traorin (Until end of Traorin’s next turn)
    (Floor 3: C8) Torrent HP 26/30 +5 Temp HP

Monster Details:
    LarionElite.png Larion, Elf Spy (Elite): HP 102/102 AC 18; Fort 16, Reflex 17, Will 14, Speed 7; Vision: Normal; Saving Throws: +2; Action Points: 1
    Special:
    Sneak Attack (free; once per round):
    Once per round, Larion can add +2d6 damage to a damage roll if he has combat advantage against the target.

Elven Accuracy (Encounter; Free):
    An elf can reroll an attack roll. It must use the second roll, even if it’s lower.

Wild Step::
    You ignore difficult terrain when you shift (even if you have a power that allows you to shift multiple squares).

WispSolon.png Wisp Solon: HP 54/54 AC 18; Fort 15, Reflex 16, Will 17, Speed: Fly 8 (hover), Teleport 10; Vision: Darkvision; Immune: Disease, Poison, Fire; Resist: 10 necrotic
    Special:
    Tongues:
    The wisp solon can speak with any creature that has a language.

Righteous Glory (Radiant; aura 3):
    Enemies in the aura take a –2 penalty to attack rolls and a –2 to all defenses. Auras with the same name and effect don’t stack

TorrentNPC.png Torrent (NPC): HP 30/30 AC 18; Fort 14, Reflex 12, Will 15, Speed 5; Vision: Normal; Saving Throws: +2; Action Points: 1
    Special:
    Power Melee:
    On any melee weapon attack, Torrent may take a –2 attack penalty and add +3 damage.

I posted the coordinates of everyone as well, making it easier to plan your attacks (Letter, then number).
    Another way to make it easier is to post what monster you hit e.g. Melee Basic attack on Grunt(F5)

Features:
    Illumination: Normal Light

Lockers: Each floor contains dozens of metal lockers, used by merchants and noblemen to store valuables, or to leave for others to pick up. Jumping or climbing to the top of one is a DC 10 Athletics or Acrobatics check. They are made of reinforced iron (Break DC 30; Open Lock DC 30) and are magically trapped with a single Level 10 Shocking Blast trap (+13 vs. Reflex; Close Burst 2; 3d8+5 damage; Miss Half damage; Thievery DC 30 to disarm; Torrent explained this to you during your trip to the depository- To prevent anyone from looting the place). Owners of the locker can bypass the trap with a password.

Walls and Ceiling: The walls are masonry (Climb DC 20) and the ceilings are 20 feet high with the stone ramps circling around the interior wall.

Balcony Doors: All the doors are strong wood (Break DC 20) and partially open. There are four on each floor except the first and they are all currently unlocked. Each one leads to a circular balcony. Any person exiting to a balcony without an internal guard present will trigger an alarm (currently off).

COLOR="Lime"] Up Next: Areneth, Dorn and Summer[/COLORCOLOR="Red"] On Deck: The elf (and solon), and the lightning trap on floor 3![/COLOR

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    IlliantharIllianthar GMT -0700Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nodding in concert with Torrent's words, Areneth moves back around to get a clear look at their adversary. He sends out a mental nudge to the elf's mind, and a thought enters his mind that he did not think himself, whispering "Psst, look out behind you!" directly to his consciousness.

Seizing the opportunity, Areneth lashes out at Larion's mind with a concentrated blast of psychic energy, seeking to overpower his senses and render him unconscious. An audible hum forms in the elf's mind, growing louder and louder until a sudden pop overwhelms him, and he falls to the ground.

Speaking to unconscious elf, Areneth says, And now our transaction is complete." He turns to the party and continues, "I've rendered him unconscious. We should gather our new baggage and leave. He was headed out this door over here," Areneth says, pointing to his right, "So perhaps he had an escape route we can use that will lead us to his friends, and Rivereye."
    Move Action: Move to E6

Minor Action: Distract on Larion.
    - Larion now grants Combat Advantage to the next attack against him.

Standard Action: Mind Thrust on Larion: 1d20+8 vs. Will (14) = 18 HIT!
    Damage Roll: 1d10+6 = 7
    -I am choosing to render him unconscious, rather than kill him outright.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Spy vs Spy! - Encounter Complete!

XP Gained for Encounter:
    Encounter XP: 990XP / 6 PCs = 165 XP for each PC
    Total XP Gained (per PC): 165 XP

Treasure Found:
    Dwarven Armor +1 (Chainmail) [Favoured by Summer]
    Crafted by the finest dwarvensmiths, this armor was once only available to dwarves, though now some armorsmiths will create a set for whomever can pay the price.
    Lvl 2
    Sell Price: 104 gold pieces
    Item Slot: Armor-Chainmail
    Enhancement: +1 AC.
    Property: Gain a +1 item bonus to Endurance checks.
    Power (Daily * Healing) Free Action: Regain hit points as if you had spent a healing surge.

Thundering Weapon +1 (Battleaxe) [Favoured by Traorin]
    You can unleash a clap of thunder when this weapon hits, carrying your foe away in a wave of deadly sound.
    Lvl 3
    Sell Price: 136 gold pieces
    Item Slot: Weapon
    Critical: +1d6 thunder damage
    Enhancement: +1 to attack and damage rolls
    Power (Daily * Thunder) Free Action: Use this power when you hit with the weapon. Deal 1d8 thunder damage and push 1 square.

Casque of tactics [Favoured by Swain]
    Favoured by sergeants and commanders, this utilitarian helm is remarkable only for its satin inner padding.
    Lvl 4
    Sell Price: 168 gold pieces
    Item Slot: Head
    Property: Gain a +1 bonus to initiative checks.
    Power (Daily) Free Action: Use this power when initiative is rolled. Swap initiative checks with a willing ally who you can see.

Couters of Second Chances [Favoured by Dorn]
    As you swing past your opponent, these armoured elbow guards sparkle with energy, bringing your weapon back in line.
    Lvl 5
    Sell Price: 200 gold pieces
    Item Slot:Arms
    Power (Daily) Free Action: Use this power when you miss with a melee attack. Reroll the attack, and use the second result, even if it is lower.

And 310 gp and one potion of healing

As the elf falls to the ground unconscious, the room fell silent (with the exception of the humming and zapping a floor below them). The Dragonborn (and others) gladly tied, bound, and gagged the elf. Soon, a number of mufflied cries and shuffles could be heard from somewhere on the floor.

Anyone going outside to where Larion (the elf) was running to:
    Anyone standing on the balcony is treated to an awesome and stunning view of the battle at the city’s western gate, about a mile and a half away. Fire lights up the western sky, the result of wyvern-bombing and of trebuchets hurling flaming balls of pitch into the city. A squadron of Gate Pass griffon riders swoops over the nearby city rooftops, heading to join the struggle, battle horns blaring.

Soon, the lightning generator on the floor below died down, and footsteps could be heard rushing towards the top floor. Seven armed guards arrive, all of whom were brandishing crossbows. Based on how they were holding them, you could assume they were crack shots with those weapons.

“Drop your weapons, and put your hands up on the air! I’m only warning you once!”

Torrent, not wanting to start an unnecessary fight with the guards, asks her comrades to put down their weapons. Wisely, they gladly complied, and placed them down onto the ground. As the guards keep a close eye on you, one of them inspects the floor.

“I found something!” The guard exclaims.

The remaining guards remain tense, waiting for their comrade to return. He soon does, and a rather ugly and pug-faced gnome trails behind him.”Found the gnome tied up with the other guards. Unfortunately, one of our own was killed, by what looked to be a radiant beam through his chest. Other than that, the rest would be up and about in a few moments.” When the gnome spots the tied up Larion, he immediately tells the guards to let these adventurers go. When asked upon, he remarks that they were the one whom saved him, and that it was this elf that caused all this mess. The captain of the guard eyes the rest of the heroes. Sensing no hostilities, the captain orders the guards to stand down, and pardons the heroes for their initial actions. The guards immediately continue their investigation in and around the depository, hoping to catch any other remaining intruders.

Rivereye, on the other hand, shuffles towards the heroes.

"You saved this old gnomes life, and for that I am surely grateful. But where is Peppin?" Rivereye asks still rubbing his hands from where they were bound not minutes before.

Torrent looks uneasy for a moment then replies, "I’m sorry... but Peppin was found dead two nights ago in an alleyway. The Resistance set me up as the contact to meet you in his place. And fearing for my safety too, they looked around and asked for help, which resulted in these fine folk. Thanks to them, we were able to capture this here Elf."

"Master Swain C. Angevin," she says nodding to the man with the funny hat. "A local here that once served the Ragesian Army. After this invasion on his hometown, I doubt he would return to duty."

"Areneth Thalant," Torrent says patting the Drow on the shoulder. "A Drow hoping to find some way out of Gate Pass, and perhaps give the Ragesians a bloody nose in the process.”

"Summer Storm," Torrent says as she made her way to the Shifter. "Her parents were helping the Resistance in secret, and sent their child to help us escape Gate Pass, knowing full well what would happen if she were to stay here."

"Dorn Kir," Torrent smiles. "Also a local here in Gate Pass. A fine warrior with a heart and will stronger than any steel, this Half-Orc has pledged to our quest."

"Titania Shaylee," Torrent moves towards the mysterious Eladrin. "A servant of the arcane arts, and runaway from the Shahalesti." she says, keeping Titania's revelation as a Servant of the Fey Court a secret from the Gnome, knowing such information might strain their relation with the Gnome.

"And lastly,Traorin Xinskarr, Dragonborn Warrior of the Wilds! A raging maelstrom in battle!"

"What of your mission and the information regarding the Ragesian army?" Torrent asks.

"Taken unfortunately. The case and all the information I had was taken by a couple other elves who were with the illusionist. They took it but not before I heard them mention something about Gabal's school. I did manage to convince them that the case was trapped and that should they open it without the password, all the contents would be destroyed. Of course it was a lie, but one that paid off, since you were able to capture one of their own, not to mention that it should keep them busy. We could only hope the ruse will stay for what it is: a ruse, till we reclaim the case. They probably have taken the case to Gabal's school to try and bypass the fake trap."

One of the guards soon return with a huge leather bag, pointing to the Gnome. “Ah, yes. I managed to smuggle some items from Ragesia. I had hope to give it to the Resistance, but I believe your heroes would find some use for it. There's also a potion and some gold coins in there.” Inside was a chainmail that looked to be forged by dwarves, a fine casque with satin inner padding, strange looking armor guards, and a battleaxe that looked to be made from metals that conducted electricity much easier than others.
    Here’s also each player’s HP total after the fight should you need to spend some healing surges:
    Araneth HP 21/25
    Dorn HP 23/28
    Summer HP 19/27
    Swain HP 21/24
    Titania HP 13/24
    Traorin HP 30/33
    Torrent HP 26/30

Consider this a short rest. Summer, Swain, and Torrent can use their healing powers to help heal you guys (remember to spend surges in the process)

Torrent’s Healing Words (if anyone wants one): One for Healing Surge + 4; another one for Healing Surge +4
    Healing Word (minor; 2/enc [1/rd]) Divine, Healing
    Ranged 5; targets Torrent or one ally; the target spends a healing surge and adds another 1d6 hp.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    As Torrent makes the rounds checking everyones condition Titania gives her a nod of thanks before asking the gnome "Does this mean Gabal's school has aligned against us? Or do you think they're unaware of the elf's intentions?"
    Spend healing surge with one of Torrents healing words. Titania is now on 23/24 HP, 3/7 surges remaining.

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Traorin sagged visibly as the spirit of the Mountain's Thunder left his body, channeling a spirit of that magnitude was draining and could only be done once. He would be sleeping well tonight, that is, if they managed to make it out of the city. Out of the items found upon the defeat of the elf Traorin was drawn to a shimmering battleaxe, he could see the power it contained. Within it he noticed a minor spirit of the storm, surely him finding such a thing was no coincidence. Traorin picked up the weapon and observed the spirit within, it seemed to have made its home within the weapon the way a hermit crab did within its shell. It danced around the blade in glee at being picked up by a person who echoed the power of the primal forces himself.

"This is a fine blade," Traorin said quietly, "may I keep this?" Without waiting for an answer though his hand moved almost of its own accord in putting the battleaxe where his original one usually rested.

"Some one wake the elf up, he'll know where his compatriots are." Traorin then kicked the sword away from the unconcious elf. "And Titania," Traorin said suddenly motioning toward Titania in the most non-threatening way he knew how, "we're all going to need to have a serious talk about what just happened. You fought by our side against your countrymen, so we give you our thanks, but we are going to need the full story if we're going after any of this elf's compatriots."
    Not using a surge at this time, so remaining at 30/35 HP. I have 6 surges left I believe.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    TuranosTuranos Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The monk's eyes are drawn instantly to the couters revealed from within the leather bag, and he takes a step towards them without even thinking of it. Lifting the elbow guards reverently, he slowly and silently inspects them, nothing the combination of straight, chiselled lines and curved, overlapping segments. The pieces themselves seemed to bespeak power held by restraint, violence married with control. Dorn could hardly have imagined a more suitable addition to his garments, whispering, "This is Melora's will, I am finally becoming myself... as I was meant to be..." Tears sparkle in his eyes as he speaks, but his smile is rapturous, his tusks showing not in aggression but in simple contentment.

The half-orc stands like that for some time, adjusting the couters on his elbows and seemingly in a world of his own until Traorin's comments to Titania break him from his trance. Wiping his eyes clear on the back of his hand, Dorn pads quietly over to them and smiles amiably once more, "I am sure it will all be straightened out. I feel more and more that we were destined to come together in this way." So saying, he lays his hand gently on Titania's shoulder and looks her openly in the eye, "I trust you, and I believe you will be of great help to the people of my home."

Finally, the monk surveys the room, noting the damage from the fighting and the unconscious elf sprawled on the floor. A frown returns to his face, and he sighs a deep, regretful sigh before a sudden confusion enters his gaze, "Where did the other solon go? I thought I saw a flash, but I was... confused." He looks around, even peering down the staircase to the floor below before turning back to his companions, a worried suspicion written plainly upon his face.

Turanos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    "The other solon chose not to fight. A smart tactical move, to be sure; given how things turned out for its compatriot." Areneth says, patting Dorn lightly on the shoulder.

Taking a quick peek outside on the railing to be sure no other surprise awaits the party, Areneth takes a moment to look at the battle in the distance. He takes a deep breath, closes his eyes and collects his thoughts, feeling suddenly sad for those that are out fighting and dying on both sides. Opening his eyes again after a few moments, he says under his breath, "It is most definitely time to go…" before turning around and rejoining the group.

"So it sounds like the school needs to be our next stop. We need the case. Can you describe the other assailants to us, Rivereye? Any information we have on them could prove vital for recovering the case and its documents."

Areneth then looks to the elf who was starting to regain consciousness, "And what are we going to do with this guy?"
    Spent 1 surge to get back to full (25/25). Have 3 surges left.

!Ready to head to the school and get the case.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    "Neither of the solons should have been fighting us. This elf has a lot to answer for..." Summer trailed off while glaring at the slowly stirring elf. "It sounds like there are multiple factions at work beyond the two obvious ones here," she said as she stepped to the balcony and looked out at the burning city. "So many lives in flux. So many dead through no action of their own..." As she watched the city under attack, however, her vantage point allowed her to see a few things that helped bolster her resolve; a half-orc helping a family from a burning house, looters being stopped by a patrol of guardsmen, a group of youths carrying water from a well to try and fight the fires. She continued watching for a minute until she heard the sounds of the elf coming to and then returned inside, a look of determination on her face.
    Summer stays on the balcony till the Elf is awake or the party decides to take him elsewhere while still unconcious. Assuming noone else lays claim to it, she will pick up the chainmail as we prep to move out.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    "Someone give me a leangth of rope to restrain our guest, I think we should question him right away before trying to leave the city."

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    According to TiamatZ's last post we already did that. :)

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    "I believe he's already restrained, friend, and if possible I'd like to get to a safer location before we start questioning our friend here." Swain appeared from behind a locker, wearing a much nicer hat that before. It was still a bit funny looking, but sometimes these things can't be avoided. "One of the solons teleported out of the tower to report this incident to the Shahalesti. Unless we want to get caught up in a bureaucratic nightmare, I'd advise we get out of here fast."

He would've joined the conversation sooner, but he had caught a glimpse of the chaos outside and couldn't bring himself to look away. He saw a few glimmers of hope amidst the burning city, like a group of guardsmen using their numbers to bring down a crashed Wrym rider and slay his beast, and a cloaked wizard protecting one of the smaller temples from a group of looters and bandits. For the most part, though, he saw only death and the fires of war, burning in the one place he had always thought safe.

The elf's groaning broke his trance, and he was quickly brought back to the realm of now. They needed an escape plan, he still had to reach the temple of Ioun before the chaos did, and the real Rivereye had somehow managed to appear even more grotesque than the false one. Answers would come in time, though, and he ought to join the conversation before the group reached a decision...and before anyone took that Commissar-Captain's casque he saw in the loot pile. Just wearing one of those things was supposed to help your reasoning...
    !ready

Bp1580 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Still troubled by the possibility that he may have harmed one of the virtuous solons in his confusion, Dorn gazes out at the city. He sees the same scenes as the others, faint flickers of hope slowly vanishing under the crushing weight of darkness. He sighs heavily and nods, "Yes. As much as it pains me to go when the people are so desperately in need, it is time for us to leave the city."
    !Ready

Turanos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    "Oh we'll leave all right, but first . . ." Traorin walks over to the prone form of the elf and gives him a small kick to his ribs. "Wakey wakey you little bastard!"
    !ready

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Rivereye listens in on the heroes' many questions.

"I don't know if Gabal and his students have allied against us. They were usually neutral in this whole conflict. However, the sudden assault of the Ragesians might force them to consider taking sides. I believe they are unaware of what has happened. But then again... we'll have to assume the worst, for now. As for where the school is, it's more or less 2 miles east from here. As for other assailants, well... they were definitely Eladrin in nature. It isn't hard to spot those near pearly eyes of theirs. Three or four of them, probably. All male of course, if their voices were any indication. And though they wore standard thief gear, their military discipline and coordination was unmistakably Shahalesti. Though I don't know if they were actual soldiers of the military, or plain mercenaries unfortunately."

The captain listens in on your plans, and moves closer. "Fat lot that'll help you when going to Gabal's. You see, the School's barricaded themselves from the rest of Gate Pass these last few days, and few folk have seen any wizards coming in or out of there, with the exception of maybe Diogenes, another wizard. He's been coming in and out for a while, trying to allay the folk's fears of Ragesian takeover, promising them that Gabal has a plan to help save them from the 'rumored' invasion. For you see, many arcane casters of magic here in Gate Pass provided useful services to the community, such as helping defense and construction. However, when given the choice between being conquered by Ragesia and handing over their fellow friends and neighbors, most of Gate Pass is more interested in protecting the majority of non-magic users, which they see it as a means protecting themselves. Because of this, many folk in the city have begun to resent spell casters in general, because they view them as the cause for this here mess. And unfortunately, the rumors came true. No doubt tomorrow the fine folk of Gate Pass would want to find and capture every magic user in all of Gate Pass, hoping it'll spare the city. As for going there right now... don't bother. No doubt Gabal and the rest of the school COMPLETELY barricaded themselves when the sounds of explosions and fighting started. You'd best hope that Gate Pass still stands tomorrow and then visit them the morning, I reckon."

"Well then," Torrent replies. "If we have to wait till tomorrow, then may I suggest we rest up? I know of a nearby Temple of Bahamut. Below it, we'll find one of the Resistance's many safe houses. The current priest there is a friend of mine, as well as a member of the Resistance. He will gladly take us in for the night."

“Thank you my lady,” splutters the weary gnome. “A good rest will prepare us for the task tomorrow, and help me recover my wits. I hope that all of you are willing to go to Gabal’s school and help me regain the information from the Shahalesti. They have no business interfering with all this. Will you join with me on the morrow?”

Rivereye's eyes suddenly went wide with the revelation of another solon. "There was ANOTHER one!? And you say it escaped?! Oh dear! No doubt that one will report to this elf's superior. If so... he or she will know you'll come. I fear you may have possibly made it more harder for ourselves tomorrow."

"As for him," the captain says, as he jerks his thumb to the captured prisoner, "... We'll take him into custody. Better we take him. That way, if he's valuable to them, then they might set their sights on us, maybe even forcing them to divide their forces. Besides, one of his solons killed one of our men. He has to answer for his crimes regardless."

Traorin moves towards the downed and tied elf, and kicked him in the ribs. The elf slowly wakes up, though slowly at first. When he realized where he was, his gaze turns to utter disgust and hatred, especially towards the Half-orc and the Human Warlord.

"Well, well. Speak of the devil." the captain remarks.

"You waste your breath! I will not betray my superiors! Do your worst!" the man says, as he raises his head high.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    "My worst you say?" Without any further word Traorin grabs the elf's leg and lifts his brand new battleaxe in a motion to suggest he was about to cut off the elf's leg below the knee. "I can start at slightly nasty and work my way up to my worst, but I warn you it would be a painfully slow process. I suggest you start talking before I finish what you started with that knife throw of yours."
    Intimidation role: 1d20+7=25

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    "He isn't joking, you know." Swain added, "This is the same warden who tortured a man for three days because he spilled his drink." He drew his sword and put it to the elf's neck, acting as if he was about to cut it wide open. "I helped."
    Intimidate Check: 1d20+7 → [2,7] = (9)

Aid Another: 1d20 → [11] = (11)

Bp1580 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hearing the sounds of the elf waking up, Summer headed back into the room to see two of her party looming over the defenseless captive. Emotions warred within her, but eventually she rationalized that they were giving him an opportunity to make amends for his deeds by assisting them now. Holding on to that thought, she stood by, looking on grimly.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Titania watches Swain (standing next to the very intimidating dragonborn) do his best to threaten the helpless elf for a moment before moving up beside him and whispering some advice in his ear "You should have kept the other hat. It was much more threatening."

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Areneth keeps an eye out for any other threats while the rest of the party work on loosening the elf's lips, resting against a bank of lockers and attempting to look casual. He was starting to feel a bit of anxiety though. Each second they delay is another second the case moves further from them, and without the case the entire journey was forfeit.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    "V...V... Very well then," the elven man says indignantly, as though he felt humiliated at being captured by those he considered his lessers.

"What would you want to know? But don't expect me to answer every question you Ragesian dogs throw at me! Even I have my limit!"

The captain of the guard looks back at the heroes.

"You Ragesians?"

OOC:
    You've unlocked the following questions:
    -Who are you?
    -Why are you here?

To get him to say anything more (or if you got more questions of your own to ask of him), more Intimidate/Diplomacy checks would be in order.

It's basically a Skill challenge of Complexity 1 (Four successes before 3 failures, with 1 success so far).

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    "No! He keeps saying that as if eventually it will make it true. He even managed to corrupt a pair of Solons with his lies. We'll figure all of this out shortly, one way or another." Summer resumed glaring at the elf.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Traorin bored his gaze into the elf "What are you doing here and who sent you?"

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The elf looks sternly at the Dragonborn.

"I was part of a cell that was tasked to spy on the Ragesian Kreven, the second-in-command of the Inquisitors. Apparently, one of his servants (this here gnome) has gathered intelligence that could prove to cripple the Ragesian army, or at least have intel that could sway the tide of war. I, along with a few of my men, were tasked to capture the gnome, as well as the case he was carrying. He made his way to Gate Pass with a strong escort, so we couldn't just attack him. Once he made his way to Gate Pass, we planned our attack carefully, hoping to gain some form of distraction. That distraction came, when the battle started earlier this morning. We infiltrated the tower, using some boots of Spider Climbing to reach the top. It's how we got in without the guards noticing. Once we entered the tower, we trapped the gnome here, as well as gained hold of the case. Unfortunately, the gnome lied to us, telling that the case was booby-trapped, igniting anything inside as well as the recipient. He also told me that it was the same phrase that opened the lock on his locker. Since it seemed I was had, I believed the gnome, and sent my troops (along with the case),back to my superior officer. I stayed behind, hoping to receive the code phrase from the gnome's contact. Once I got it, I would incapacitate the fools (or, if they were Ragesians, kill them), then made my way back to my CO. As for who sent me, it was my Commanding Officer, you reptilian dolt!"

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    "I'm sorry, I must have something crazy in my ear. I didn't hear anything past 'As for who sent me' " Traorin raised the axe to strike down upon the elf's leg once more, but he wasn't sure if the elf could tell if he would really do it.
    Intimidation roll: 1d20+7=11 (might need an assist roll on this one guys)

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Titania cocks an eyebrow at the pitiful elf's words. "Well obviously your commanding officer was the one who sent you here. After all, you clearly lack the wits to be the one giving orders. What my large and violent friend here wants know is WHO is your commanding officer.
    Aid in intimidation: 1d20+4 = 19

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Areneth watched as the interrogation escalated. Stepping towards the elf and placing his hand on the dragonborn's shoulder, Areneth tries to calm the situation somewhat, and hopefully glean some additional infrormation.

"I believe what my esteemed colleagues are attempting to express is that our two sides have a mutual interest in the contents of this case, but we have a limited window of time in which to make use of the case's information. The crux of our situation comes in how to help you look past your hatred of Ragaesia to see that we are, in fact, telling you the truth. Our vitriol for the intruding army is just as deep and abiding as yours is, and we would love nothing more than to use the contents of the case against the Ragaesians.

So, perhaps we can come to an agreement. Your commanding officer and the others in your group believe they can't open the case, and they need to be told otherwise. My associates and I need access to the contents of the case also. So perhaps we could work together to accomplish everyone's goals. You tell us who you work for, and where the case has been taken. We go, open the case and retrieve the documents, and then each go our separate ways. A much better deal than losing your leg, wouldn't you agree?"

Diplomacy check: 22

Going to need an assist to put it over the 24 DC that the other checks have been.

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Swain chimed in, "For an example of how deep our hate for Leska runs, simply direct your attention to the cap currently held by our axe wielding friend here." He took it back and held it in front of the elf's face, making sure he could see all the drops of blood it had accumulated in their fight at the Poison Apple. "Got this off my CO when I defected from the Ragesian army. Took his whole uniform, too. I wear it like a trophy."
    Aid Another: [/url=http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3007453/]1d20+7 → [16,7] = (23)
    [/url]

Bp1580 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Seeing his companions going the route of diplomacy Traorin put away his axe and turned away from the prisoner in disgust. "Pssh, among my people if one clan bests the other the loser submits freely and honorably serves the victors. The way this one barters for information when he has clearly lost stains my honor just talking to him."

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    "Fine! FINE! Just call your thick-headed brute off!" the elf cries out as the Dragonborn raises his axe up high.

"Our Commanding Officer is an Eldarin woman going by the name of Shealis Amlauril, a Shahalesti spy under orders of his Majesty's Royal Intelligence. She was stationed here months ago, and is the de-facto leader of a group of Shahalesti spies that were operating here in Gate Pass for a while. We knew she was from higher brass, when we found out she could order our own Commander to return back to Shahalesti, and take us under her wing. While our old Commander made his way back to Shahalesti, she was orgainizing the plans to retrieve the case. She goes undercover as a student of Gabal's School, and she's recently earned herself Paragon Status within the school ranks. As for where her hideout is... well, that's the tricky part. She usually sends messages to the rest of the members once every three or so days, discussing where their new hideout is. That way, they can keep shifting their hideout without the enemy knowing where we are. So your out of luck there!"

The elf glowers at the Drow. "Mutual interest? My loyalty is to Shahalesti and to her people first! Why should I care what happens to Gate Pass? I mean, sure, people getting harmed in this attack is tragic, but it's their own fault for not pledging their loyalty and freedoms to Shahalesti and it's rulers in the first place! You can guarantee that Lord Shaaladel wouldn't take this attack lightly if Gate Pass were under Shahalesti rule!"

OOC:
    By Paragon Status, he means that she is a Paragon leveled NPC.

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    "If She's as powerful as he claims this could prove problematic. She'll know something is up when this fellow doesn't return. We'll need a careful plan to get the box without getting killed."

squishy-blob on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    "Well, whatever we plan on doing, we'll have to figure it out tomorrow. I don't know about the rest of you but this has been an exhausting day and I'm about to collapse. I suggest we get some rest in Torrents safe house and decide where we go from here tomorrow."

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Areneth nods at the Dragonborn's comments.

"I agree. Rest would do us all some good."

!Ready

Illianthar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    "Perhaps knowing what we do now we can prevail on the mage's better nature and convince them to help us," Summer said. "They can't want to be ruled by either side!"
    !Ready (Which I can't help but read as "not ready" every time I see it.

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    "I guess it's settled, then. Lead the way, Torrent."
    As we walk out, Swain pulls Titania aside and says "...and this hat is much more intimidating than my old one, thank you."

Bp1580 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    "Very well then, we'll need to head there and without delay, come on!" Torrent says, as she head for the steps. Rivereye nods, then grabs his nearby cane, and waddles his way down the stairs. Halfway through, Torrent stops and looks back at the captain. “Don’t underestimate this here elf captain. No doubt he’s got some more tricks up his sleeve. You certain you can detain him?”

The captain grunts, and then hits the flat end of his blade on the elf’s head, knocking him out. “Don’t you worry ‘bout us! We’ll handle things here!” Torrent nods, and then makes her way down the stairs, followed soon after by the other heroes.

New Main Quest acquired:
    Obtain the Case from the Shalasesti spies
    Reward: 1200 XP

Chapter 2: Retrieving the Case

The group leaves the depository, and heads back into the chill night air. And as the first day of the year moves on, it seems only to be getting a little colder. The streets are nearly empty, as most of the citizens have found shelter. The night is cold and the sky glows from the many fires still raging throughout the city. But all is not quiet. Sounds of the distant battle could still be heard. They head eastwards and exit the district that houses the depository, with Swain and Torrent in the lead, and Araneth and Titania once again bringing up the rear.

"The safe house is nearby... it’s just in the next district. We can... " Torrent starts to say but is cut off as a cacophony of screeches and roars fill the air above.

Looking up after a particularly loud screech, the heroes sees the shape of a bat-winged creature collide with a griffon rider. Both combatants flip from the impact, nearly throwing their riders off as they begin a fast descent towards the ground below. You can hear the sound of their collision.

Somehow the griffon rider recovers himself mid-air and turns west towards the main battle, but the other creature, still screeching, plummets into the roof of a low building directly in front of your path. Instantly the din of battle is replaced with the clatter of falling timber and tile. For a few seconds an eerie calm surrounds the building. Then a woman’s bloodcurdling scream echoes down the street and is suddenly stopped. The cry of a child starts as well, and continues.

As the heroes move closer, they soon spots the house. It had an ogre-sized hole on the ceiling, with a large, scaly tail protruding from it.

Swain:
    You easily recognize it for a wyvern’s tail.

The screams of a small child could still be heard, along with a number of deep voiced profanities coming from within the house. The windows are shut, so it was impossible to make out what was going on inside...

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Dorn frowns thoughtfully as the party leaves the depository, troubled by the group's actions in threatening the elf. At least no actual torture had been committed. He was at least as troubled by his own indecision during the situation; he had not even spoken up against the possibility of harming a helpless man, and he still had the sick suspicion that he might have accidentally harmed one of the solons. This quest may prove to be an even greater test of faith and self control than he had anticipated.

As the flying monster crashes into the nearby house, the half-orc initially simply gapes in shock, startled out of his introspection. Then, recognising in the cries of the woman and child a chance for his own salvation, he immediately begins to run towards the building. Waving his arm frantically at his companions, he shouts, "Come! We must help them!"
    Perception check to look for ways in, whether the windows can be opened/broken through, anything else of note: 1d20+5 6 (using Orokos because Invisible Castle is unreachable)

Turanos on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Dorn:
    Perception Check: Success
    The windows seemed to be barred of a sorts from the inside, though even to a simple passerby would notice the door is unhinged at the top, and is slightly (by a couple of inches) ajar, though you'll have to open the door or enter the building to see what's going on inside...

TiamatZ on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Falling in step as the party leaves the depository, Areneth can't help but think that they haven't seen the last of the elf. Filing away a mental image of the would-be assassin, he turns his attention to the cobblestone street in front of them, leading off into the night. He keeps his mind sharp and alert, looking into every alleyway and window to be sure that they aren't taken by surprise again.

Turning to Torrent as she begins to speak, Areneth's eyes are diverted to the scene of the flying beast crashing into the house followed by the half-orc rushing off. Grimacing slightly, Areneth mentally chides the monk for such a lack of discipline, but nonetheless jogs off behind him towards the building, calling out over his shoulder as he does.

"Rivereye, perhaps it's better if you hang back while we see what we can do for these people. Anyone happen to know anything about these beasts that might help us?"
    Areneth will stay as close to Dorn as he can without running

Illianthar on