As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pokémon Black and White and Thread All Over! (Lock Please)

• Options
    NewresNewres Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I essentially caught Coballion with my first thrown ultra. The battle music for him is so epic. Just out of curiosity I checked out his IVs.. 31 for both defense and sp. attack and 30 for one other stat. hp if I believe....

Newres on
    960751-1.png
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So... Where's the Scald TM?

I wants me some boiling water to splash at enemy 'mons.

Edit: Son of a bitch. Nevermind, I literally just found it.

SUPER Edit: What the hell is this attack "Quash"? I mean, how is that useful? You use a move that forces the opponent to go last. It also has normal priority.

This is one of those double/triple battle use things isn't it? :(

Dunxco on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dunxco wrote: »
    I think you're going to be disappointed by Galvantula. Sure it has a great moveset, and CompoundEyes Thunder hurts a lot, but try Accelgor. It has 10 more HP, and a little more Special Attack, but about 40 more speed. It looks phenomenal.

Edit: That's just my opinion, Galvantula has a lot going for it too, and looks awesome.

I'll probably be disappointed with the whole team. I constantly switch my teams around because I'm never satisfied with what I set up

Another team I want more is Durant (not sure which ability), Volcarona (Swarm but that is dream world), Hydregion, Zoroark, Jellicent (Cursed Body), and Ferrothorn. I also need to decide on move sets and what each one is going to do for the team. Now that I look at this, I want a Ground or Rock Pokemon in the team. Well damn

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    KupiKupi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This is the first Pokemon game where I'm seriously considering dropping my starter from my main-story trio. :?

Kupi on
    My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well it looks pretty solid otherwise. Zoroark and Reinculus create fun mind games, so does Zoroark and Conkledurr. Ferrothorn probably one of the best defensive mons this generation (hell, ever, especially with the introduction of Rocky Helmet).

For me, I'm going with:
    Mienshao (Focus Sash)
    Zoroark (Choice Specs)
    Jellicent (Leftovers)
    Arcanine (Shell Bell or Choice Band)
    Haxorus (Choice Scarf or Band/ Lum Berry)
    -Free space here-

as my starting point, and springboard from there.

I am really, really looking forward to Dream World Blastoise. Rain Dish + Rain Dance + Leftovers + Aqua Ring (if possible due to breeding, need to see if DW Squirtle is female) = so much regeneration going on.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I never thought of using the helmet on ferrothorn.

I almost decided to raise one, but I already had tangrowth and was turned off by the fact that I would really want egg moves for it

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    NewresNewres Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    BTW what is this dream world thingy ? I have seen that it will be available only later but I have no clue on actually what it is.

Newres on
    960751-1.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ferrothorn gets some fantastic egg moves though!

Leech Seed, Spikes, Gravity (situational, sure), Stealth Rock...

And the TMs? Oh my - Gyro Ball goes so well with Ferrothorn's naturally-learnt Curse, Explosion, Sandstorm, Protect, Toxic, Rock Polish, Thunderwave. This thing can be a serious staller if you set your mind to it.
    Newres wrote: »
    BTW what is this dream world thingy ? I have seen that it will be available only later but I have no clue on actually what it is.

It's some sort of internet browser game thing where you can get/trade berries, props to put in a (your?) house, and most importantly access to Pokémon with unique abilities, some of which make some Pokémon totally viable (Espeon with Magic Bounce can reflect most any status effect thrown at it back at the enemy instead, and the notorious Contrary Serperior making Leaf Storm allow it to gain two levels of Sp.Atk instead of lose them), others which give them completely new strategies (Speed Boost Blaziken, Rain Dish Blastoise).

Dunxco on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Newres wrote: »

Dreamworld is a online mini game thing. You connect the game to the internet and upload a Pokemon to the internet. You head to the site and you can play minigames to earn items and Pokemon.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kay wrote: »
    ...Dook the Mienshao? Like DOOK LETO ATREIDES?!?

Like Dook, the sound ferrets make.

Dook

KiTA on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I use Rocky Helmet on my Cofagrigus + Will o' Wisp. Yes, hit me. Come on, hit me!

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Alright, so Zoroark, Reuniclus, Ferrothorn, Golurk, Volcarona, and Conkeldurr. I like this team but it seems like it might be a little too slow.I might change out Golurk for Durant

Any suggested move sets?

Edit: Where do I get a Rocky Helmet?

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    edited March 2011
    since this gen has a lot of slow attackers you could try including some trick roomers if it ends up actually being too slow

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Totally forgot about Trick Room. If the team does end up being to slow I will definitely give that a go. I just need to figure out what move sets I even want to use. Dunxco gave me a build for Reuniclus, I just gotta find it again

Stragint on

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Operation Candlestick Babymaker goes into full operation after the Battle Subway pissed me off.

I just want my damn power items already!

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    is it just me, or is super battle subway pretty damn hard (at least when I'm trill trying to grind out my items).

I mean, it goes from the normal one that throws preschoolers and their pidoves at me to this

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    V Faction wrote: »
    By the way, here's a map of the Abyssal Ruins for the front page (taken directly from PokeWikia, which obviously took it from another Japanese source if that's okay) in case people were wondering about the underwater maze.
    vfVQH.png

I'll add this to the first post of the next thread.

Also of note for that section:
    You need Flash on floor 2 and Strength on 3, but its been awhile since I went down there.

Yes to both. I cleaned that place out last night by translating the runes.

About floor 1: if you know the secret, you only really need that map to find the various items (which I found on my own through trial and error).
    Change directions only at prime-numbered intersections (2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 7th) to reach the center and 2nd floor access.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think catching all these Ditto is having an adverse effect on me

Stragint on

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ferrothorn is so much better than Forretress I kind of feel bad about it. I guess it does have two weaknesses instead of one though.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I need to get 6 Ditto to level 100 so I can be known as the Ditto King

Stragint on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    yeah nevermind, super battle subway is definatley out to fuck you over.

I roll with tangrowth/golurk/bouffalant, they send houndour/zoroark/mandibuzz. eat a dick, game

or times when I get super lucky, like when golurk somehow managed to land a hammer arm on sceptile, conviniently they were holding a focus sash

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ten more pages of friend codes, I'm slowly going insane.

Looks like my alphetizing code worked well enough, though some people with symbols and undercased letters beginning their names got...ALTERED.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rami wrote: »
    Ferrothorn is so much better than Forretress I kind of feel bad about it. I guess it does have two weaknesses instead of one though.

That counter ability it has can be a nasty surprise the first time you use a multi-hit attack on it.

I'm annoyed that Swanna can't use the Acrobatics TM I just recieved. I guess it has to have some disadvantage to make up for the fact that it's a freaking swan. Double weakness to Electric alone wouldn't be enough.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Swanna is terrible.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Swanna is Carl from ATHF.
    It serves no practical use but hilarity.
    Aegis wrote: »
    I use Rocky Helmet on my Cofagrigus + Will o' Wisp. Yes, hit me. Come on, hit me!

I am just imagining a Cofagrius with Will-O-Wisp, the Rocky Helmet, and using Bide with the text "COME AT ME, BRO."

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So how is this game for non-competitive people? As in, I would just love to have a pokemon experience? Is it a good feel to go in completely blind with new pokemon?

never die on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    never die wrote: »
    So how is this game for non-competitive people? As in, I would just love to have a pokemon experience? Is it a good feel to go in completely blind with new pokemon?

for this gen? yeah. almost all the new pokemon are pretty awesome and b/w is heavily polished

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hmmm...Operation Candlestick Babymaking has resulted in:

26/26/21/28/25/3

It's got a nature I want, and it's highest stat is the Special Attack that I want. Speed is abysmal though but that spread looks so good. I wonder if I should just settle with that rather than gamble looking for speed.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    HtR-LaserHtR-Laser Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

26/26/21/28/25/3

It's got a nature I want, and it's highest stat is the Special Attack that I want. Speed is abysmal though but that spread looks so good. I wonder if I should just settle with that rather than gamble looking for speed.

Is it a male? If so, you can give it a Power Lens (so it'll pass on the SpA IV) and breed it with a Modest (I assume) female holding an everstone.

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I need a break from shiny hatching, the shine addiction is troublesome. That said, maybe I can breed something neato or IVtastic for someone tomorrow (No power items yet though :?)

If no one's interested I might just go breed a reunicleus or something... maybe a shi...noooo!

Adellios on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    HtR-Laser wrote: »

26/26/21/28/25/3

Is it a male? If so, you can give it a Power Lens (so it'll pass on the SpA IV) and breed it with a Modest (I assume) female holding an everstone.

Don't have any power items (it's being bred in part to cover my gaping Fire vulnerability in the Battle Subway and then later for some competitiveness). But I could do that later I suppose! Mild, actually. Couldn't get a damn Modest one so settled for Mild. Isn't the worst thing.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Did my Ultra Ball just crit?

jothki on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Critical Captures! They are the best thing.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Bit of a waste to have it happen on a level 6 fish, though.

jothki on
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    jothki wrote: »
    Did my Ultra Ball just crit?

Once and a while you throw it so hard it knocks the wild pokemon unconscious.

Adellios on
  • Options
    HtR-LaserHtR-Laser Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    HtR-Laser wrote: »

26/26/21/28/25/3

Don't have any power items (it's being bred in part to cover my gaping Fire vulnerability in the Battle Subway and then later for some competitiveness). But I could do that later I suppose! Mild, actually. Couldn't get a damn Modest one so settled for Mild. Isn't the worst thing.

Sounds good. I think you should be fine, Chandelure has pretty lackluster speed so you'll have to use a choice scarf or baton passer to outspeed things anyway. Nice spread, though; I hope I have the same luck breeding one after I get done with my slowpokes.

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Only thing left is a write up on all the daily freebies you can get in this game.

Also I got my free masterball from trading a bunch last night. Felt damn good. It apparently counts all the shit you brought over from Fourth Gen because I had only made about ten GTS trades before I brought over 600 pokemon this weekend.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So this is how I think I'm going to build my team, any suggestions is cool. I'm really hoping I can breed Ferrothorn the way I want, I'll have to figure that out. I'm actually feeling pretty good about the things this team might be able to do.
    Ferrothorn - Iron Barbs - Sassy - EV 252 Defense 252 Spec. Defense
    Stealth Rock Egg
    Seed Bomb Egg
    Gyro Ball
    Power Whip

Reuniclus - Magic Gaurd - Mild - EV 252 Spec. Attack 252 Speed
    Recover TM
    Facade TM
    Focus Blast/Trick Room TM
    Psychic

Zoroark - Illusion - Naughty - EV 252 Attack 252 Speed
    Night Daze
    Aerial Ace TM
    U-Turn TM
    Punishment

Volcarona - Swarm/Flame Body - Naive - EV 252 Attack 252 HP
    Quiver Dance
    Bug Bite
    Flare Blitz
    Wild Charge TM

Golurk - Iron Fist/No Guard - Modest - EV 252 HP 252 Defense
    Hammer Arm/Focus Punch
    Earthquake
    Rock Polish/Thunder TM
    Shadow Ball TM

Conkeldurr - Guts/Iron Fist - Hasty - EV 252 Attack 252 HP
    Bulk UP
    Superpower
    Low Sweep
    Payback

Stragint on

• Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I admittedly don't know all that much about pokemon this generation, but wouldn't Ferrothorn benefit more from HP than from def/sp.def?

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yea, 252 in HP could definitely be more beneficial and I considered it first but I couldn't decide on which defense would go best with the HP so I decide to just boost both Defense though I might go 252 HP and 252 Spec. Defense since his regular Defense is pretty good without EV's

Stragint on