As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pokémon Black and White and Thread All Over! (Lock Please)

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Looks like Ferrothorn's going to be your Spec. Defense wall? Probably HP/Spec. Defense then too, yea, I'd suggest.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alrighty, anyone with any interest in an egg (I have 3 ATM) of Archen, lemme know! I'm at a center and can transfer.

(It's the middle person at the Pokecenter to trade with friend code peeps, right? Never traded before...)

E: Oh, looking for Zorua, other starters other than Oshawatt, and the other fossil dude Tirtouga.

MonkeyConQueso on
    PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • Options
    HtR-LaserHtR-Laser Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Stragint wrote: »
    So this is how I think I'm going to build my team, any suggestions is cool. I'm really hoping I can breed Ferrothorn the way I want, I'll have to figure that out. I'm actually feeling pretty good about the things this team might be able to do.
    Ferrothorn - Iron Barbs - Sassy - EV 252 Defense 252 Spec. Defense
    Stealth Rock Egg
    Seed Bomb Egg
    Gyro Ball
    Power Whip

Reuniclus - Magic Gaurd - Mild - EV 252 Spec. Attack 252 Speed
    Recover TM
    Facade TM
    Focus Blast/Trick Room TM
    Psychic

Zoroark - Illusion - Naughty - EV 252 Attack 252 Speed
    Night Daze
    Aerial Ace TM
    U-Turn TM
    Punishment

Volcarona - Swarm/Flame Body - Naive - EV 252 Attack 252 HP
    Quiver Dance
    Bug Bite
    Flare Blitz
    Wild Charge TM

Golurk - Iron Fist/No Guard - Modest - EV 252 HP 252 Defense
    Hammer Arm/Focus Punch
    Earthquake
    Rock Polish/Thunder TM
    Shadow Ball TM

Conkeldurr - Guts/Iron Fist - Hasty - EV 252 Attack 252 HP
    Bulk UP
    Superpower
    Low Sweep
    Payback

I think the composition of the team is pretty good. Only two x4 weaknesses (Fire and Rock), which is a plus, though I think you could use a few more ways of dealing with Fire, because your only checks against it right now are Golurk and Stealth Rock.

EVs could use a little revision. Ferrothorn only needs one of the two defensive stats, the rest can go in HP. I'd choose Defense to cover your team's Bug and Flying weaknesses, as well as stop Ground types and take advantage of Iron Barbs. Or maybe do 252 HP/192 Def/60 Sp Def if you're worried about the odd special attacker that isn't Fire type.

I'm not feeling Modest on Golurk. Shadow Ball and Thunder aren't really going to do much, at the expense of a lot of Earthquake and Hammer Arm/Focus Punch power. Likewise, I don't think he needs Def EVs; the biggest physical concerns he has are Waterfall and Crunch, which will take him down quickly if the user is powerful. On a Rock Polish set I'd go all Attack and Speed.

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So just about finishing up with the main game and I'm pretty sure I have a good idea of what I want to use. Lemme know if there is anything glaringly bad about it, though I will probably still use this team cause I like it >.>
    Scoliopede - Spikes, Toxic Spikes, MegaHorn, Earthquake - Att/Spd
    Lilligant - Petal Dance, Giga Drain, Sleep Powder, Quiver Dance - S.Att/Spd
    Scrafty(fuck yeah) - Dragon Dance, Hi Jump Kick, Crunch, Ice Punch - Att/Spd
    Carracosta - Curse, Aqua Jet, Stone Edge, Sandstorm - HP/S.Def EVs
    Gothitelle - Psychic, Thunderbolt, Rest, Calm Mind - HP/S.Att
    Haxorus - Outrage, Earthquake, Dragon Dance, Taunt - Att/Spd

The only one I'm not 100% on is carracosta, I like him as a wall but I'm not sure what I should have for his move set so I just went wally as possible.

Mattakuevan on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Adellios wrote: »
    I need a break from shiny hatching, the shine addiction is troublesome. That said, maybe I can breed something neato or IVtastic for someone tomorrow (No power items yet though :?)

If no one's interested I might just go breed a reunicleus or something... maybe a shi...noooo!

Shiny hatching? They figured out the RNG already?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I found what looks to be Team Plasma's secret
    research base
    Is there anything to this place or is it just an interesting one-off?

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So just about finishing up with the main game and I'm pretty sure I have a good idea of what I want to use. Lemme know if there is anything glaringly bad about it, though I will probably still use this team cause I like it >.>

The only one I'm not 100% on is carracosta, I like him as a wall but I'm not sure what I should have for his move set so I just went wally as possible.

You don't need spikes and toxic spikes, they don't stack.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    harvest wrote: »
    I found what looks to be Team Plasma's secret
    research base
    Is there anything to this place or is it just an interesting one-off?

A Dubious Disc is on the floor. That's it

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Rami wrote: »

You don't need spikes and toxic spikes, they don't stack.

Oh, thank you for that. I assumed they did >.>

Mattakuevan on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is there a NPC in Victory Road that will heal your team? I'm actually starting to get worn down.

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Theres a doctor somewhere in there.

Mattakuevan on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yea, he's in there. Rather like that every long dungeon crawl has a midpoint healing station.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    HtR-Laser wrote: »
    So this is how I think I'm going to build my team, any suggestions is cool. I'm really hoping I can breed Ferrothorn the way I want, I'll have to figure that out. I'm actually feeling pretty good about the things this team might be able to do.
    Stealth Rock Egg
    Seed Bomb Egg
    Gyro Ball
    Power Whip

Recover TM
    Facade TM
    Psychic

Night Daze
    Aerial Ace TM
    U-Turn TM
    Punishment

Quiver Dance
    Bug Bite
    Flare Blitz
    Wild Charge TM

Hammer Arm/Focus Punch
    Earthquake
    Rock Polish/Thunder TM
    Shadow Ball TM

Bulk UP
    Superpower
    Low Sweep
    Payback

I think the composition of the team is pretty good. Only two x4 weaknesses (Fire and Rock), which is a plus, though I think you could use a few more ways of dealing with Fire, because your only checks against it right now are Golurk and Stealth Rock.

EVs could use a little revision. Ferrothorn only needs one of the two defensive stats, the rest can go in HP. I'd choose Defense to cover your team's Bug and Flying weaknesses, as well as stop Ground types and take advantage of Iron Barbs. Or maybe do 252 HP/192 Def/60 Sp Def if you're worried about the odd special attacker that isn't Fire type.

I'm not feeling Modest on Golurk. Shadow Ball and Thunder aren't really going to do much, at the expense of a lot of Earthquake and Hammer Arm/Focus Punch power. Likewise, I don't think he needs Def EVs; the biggest physical concerns he has are Waterfall and Crunch, which will take him down quickly if the user is powerful. On a Rock Polish set I'd go all Attack and Speed.

Yea, I was really unsure of what nature to give Golurk. Still not sure what to give him, I should probably focus on making him faster so a Speed nature but I'm not really sure which stat to get the negative on, I'm thinking defense or special defense.

Also gonna add the revisions to Ferrothorn. I do want some Sp Def just as an in case sort of situation.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Stealth Rock Egg
    Seed Bomb Egg
    Gyro Ball
    Power Whip

Recover TM
    Facade TM
    Psychic

Night Daze
    Aerial Ace TM
    U-Turn TM
    Punishment

Quiver Dance
    Bug Bite
    Flare Blitz
    Wild Charge TM

Hammer Arm/Focus Punch
    Earthquake
    Rock Polish/Thunder TM
    Shadow Ball TM

Bulk UP
    Superpower
    Low Sweep
    Payback

Yea, I was really unsure of what nature to give Golurk. Still not sure what to give him, I should probably focus on making him faster so a Speed nature but I'm not really sure which stat to get the negative on, I'm thinking defense or special defense.

Also gonna add the revisions to Ferrothorn. I do want some Sp Def just as an in case sort of situation.

You should just neg on special attack rather than defenses. Iron fist allows you to go lighter on Attack EVs

King Riptor on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hah, so I just beat the Elite Four in Sinnoh. I had the most epically long and tense battle between my Golduck and Milotic. My electric type wasn't strong enough to withstand the constant surfs and ice beams, so my Golduck beat away at it with its only normal move, Rock Climb with an x attack added to it. Probably five-ten minutes on that pokemon alone. Oddly enough, the Garchomp went down relatively fast (he focused on Giga impact, which my Graveler absorbed like crazy) and Spiritomb went down easily with shadow claws. It is weird beating the E4 with my highest pokemon being 10 levels under that of the Champions strongest.

Also fuck a catch rate of 3 for legendary pokemon. I get so frustrated trying to catch a pokemon that is essentially on its last legs (a sliver of red health), confused, and asleep and I don't even get one shake of the pokeball!? It took forever to catch the legendary lake creatues in Sinnoh.

never die on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Does anyone happen to have a spare Pokerus carrier? Grinding Defense EVs is unbearable.

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    SakeSake Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    A rough skin Druddigon with Rocky Helmet is hilarious.
    What level would you all say a pokemon with Pick Up has to be at to start getting good things, got my Lilipup in the day care now, its at lvl 28. (also, its annoying that they dont' say by how much its gone up in lvl now.)

Sake on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Finally! I found a Pokemon that can learn both Seed Bomb and Stealth Rock that breeds with Ferrothorn. Now I just need to give my Torterra Stealth Rock and Seed Bomb and make it bang a female Ferroseed or Ferrothorn

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Stragint - don't use a physical Volcarona, and a Special Golurk. Play to their strengths.

Volcarona is a MONSTER of a special-attacker, with terrible physical stats. Golurk's the other way around.

When did they change Spikes/Toxic Spikes so they didn't stack, Rami? They've always stacked when I've played, and layered spikes is nasty as all hell. Not that useful in a 3v3 though, as there's not as much switching.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    uh, last gen? Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I could have sworn I was only able to have one set of spikes and a stealth rock, a different type of spike over-wrote the previous.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Kay wrote: »
    Stragint - don't use a physical Volcarona, and a Special Golurk. Play to their strengths.

Volcarona is a MONSTER of a special-attacker, with terrible physical stats. Golurk's the other way around.

When did they change Spikes/Toxic Spikes so they didn't stack, Rami? They've always stacked when I've played, and layered spikes is nasty as all hell. Not that useful in a 3v3 though, as there's not as much switching.

Yea, I'm going Attack with Golurk. Is my move set fine for a Spec. Attack Volcarona?

Stragint on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    EV training question: when you hit the max EV cap, is it a hard cap whereby new battles that grant exp no longer grant EV to that pokemon unless you reduce his EVs via berries?

Or will EVs start overwriting each other?

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It's a hard cap. Once they have 510 EVs they no longer gain any more. And once they reach 255 they no longer gain any more for that stat even if they aren't at 510 total.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Sweet, thanks.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Yea, I'm going Attack with Golurk. Is my move set fine for a Spec. Attack Volcarona?

Nope, those are all physical moves. Go for Bug Buzz and Fire Blast/Fiery Dance as your main attacking moves.

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Nope, those are all physical moves. Go for Bug Buzz and Fire Blast/Fiery Dance as your main attacking moves.

Wow, Fiery Dance has a terrible hit rating. I think I'll do Bug Buzz, Fire Blast, Quiver Dance and Wild Charge so I still have some electricity, or should I drop Wild Charge completely since it is still a physical attack?

Stragint on

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Aegis wrote: »
    Yea, he's in there. Rather like that every long dungeon crawl has a midpoint healing station.

So good.

I also appreciate that dungeons to the different towns have been toned down and that HMs so far have been far less important than previous games. Especially the new mechanic with Strength.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think I've used cut once so far, up to Twist Mountain. Not using HMs to roadblock progress any more is really nice.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Does anyone happen to have a Sassy female Ferroseed/Ferrothorn I could borrow?

Stragint on

• Options
    edited March 2011

Wow, Fiery Dance has a terrible hit rating. I think I'll do Bug Buzz, Fire Blast, Quiver Dance and Wild Charge so I still have some electricity, or should I drop Wild Charge completely since it is still a physical attack?

Yeah I'd drop it. It just won't do enough damage against Waters or Flying, which can kill you after surviving the hit. Also, I think you're confused. Fire Blast has a bad hit rating, Fiery Dance hits all the time.

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So, my gf is really set on an Audino because its freaking adorable, however it kind of looks like it sucks ass. Is there any real use to the thing?

Mattakuevan on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yea, I looked at it wrong, Accuracy is 100 and PP is 10, I thought the 10 was for Accuracy.

Hmmm, if I drop Wild Charge I'll have no attacks that are super effective against Flying Pokemon except for Stealth rock.
    Ferrothorn - Iron Barbs - Sassy - EV 252 HP 192 Defense 60 Spec. Defense
    Seed Bomb (Grass) Egg
    Gyro Ball (Steel)
    Stealth Rock (Rock) Egg
    Power Whip (Grass)

Recover (Psychic) TM
    Facade (Normal) TM
    Focus Blast (Fight)/Trick Room (Psychic) TM
    Psychic (Psychic)

Night Daze (Dark)
    Aerial Ace (Flying) TM
    U-Turn (Bug) TM
    Punishment (Dark)

Volcarona - Swarm/Flame Body - Naive - EV 252 Spec. Attack 252 HP
    Quiver Dance (Bug)
    Bug Buzz (Bug)
    Fire Blast (Fire) TM
    Fiery Dance (Fire)

Golurk - Iron Fist/No Guard - Adamant - EV 252 Attack 252 Speed
    Hammer Arm (Fight)/Focus Punch (Fight)
    Earthquake (Ground)
    Rock Polish (Rock)/Thunder (Electric) TM
    Shadow Ball (Ghost) TM

Bulk UP (Fight)
    Superpower (Fight)
    Low Sweep (Fight) TM
    Payback (Dark)

Updated list with suggestions and such. I might have to check out some other moves on these Pokemon to see if I can cover my base with Flying or if I'll just have to try to power through Flying Pokemon. I think I might get rid of Shadow Ball on Golurk for Focus Punch

Stragint on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    EV training without Pokerus or Power items is slooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww. I think I might be a touch insane.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Volcorona can't really cover it's weaknesses short of a Hidden Power which balances it out a tad.

I'm using Psychic It'll do neutral to most threats.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh damn, it can learn Psychic, I think I'll take out Fire Blast for Psychic then.

Stragint on

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, my gf is really set on an Audino because its freaking adorable, however it kind of looks like it sucks ass. Is there any real use to the thing?

I asked this question and the response was that it's a poor man's Chansey, but eh.

On the bright side, Unova has no shortage of adorable Pokemon that are actually quite good.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh damn, it can learn Psychic, I think I'll take out Fire Blast for Psychic then.

Might want to Ditch Shadow Ball for Shadiow Punch on golurk too

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Might want to Ditch Shadow Ball for Shadiow Punch on golurk too

Yea, I'm definitely taking Shadow Ball out for either Shadow Punch or Focus Punch. I could take Hammer Arm out and put in Focus Punch so the move set is Shadow Punch, Focus Punch, Rock Polish and Earthquake

Stragint on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Yea, I looked at it wrong, Accuracy is 100 and PP is 10, I thought the 10 was for Accuracy.

Hmmm, if I drop Wild Charge I'll have no attacks that are super effective against Flying Pokemon except for Stealth rock.
    Ferrothorn - Iron Barbs - Sassy - EV 252 HP 192 Defense 60 Spec. Defense
    Seed Bomb (Grass) Egg
    Gyro Ball (Steel)
    Stealth Rock (Rock) Egg
    Power Whip (Grass)

Recover (Psychic) TM
    Facade (Normal) TM
    Focus Blast (Fight)/Trick Room (Psychic) TM
    Psychic (Psychic)

Night Daze (Dark)
    Aerial Ace (Flying) TM
    U-Turn (Bug) TM
    Punishment (Dark)

Volcarona - Swarm/Flame Body - Naive - EV 252 Spec. Attack 252 HP
    Quiver Dance (Bug)
    Bug Buzz (Bug)
    Fire Blast (Fire) TM
    Fiery Dance (Fire)

Golurk - Iron Fist/No Guard - Adamant - EV 252 Attack 252 Speed
    Hammer Arm (Fight)/Focus Punch (Fight)
    Earthquake (Ground)
    Rock Polish (Rock)/Thunder (Electric) TM
    Shadow Ball (Ghost) TM

Bulk UP (Fight)
    Superpower (Fight)
    Low Sweep (Fight) TM
    Payback (Dark)

Updated list with suggestions and such. I might have to check out some other moves on these Pokemon to see if I can cover my base with Flying or if I'll just have to try to power through Flying Pokemon. I think I might get rid of Shadow Ball on Golurk for Focus Punch

Ferrothorn: Go Relaxed instead of Sassy, since you're focusing on Defense. Pick either Seed Bomb or Power Whip, depending on if you want accuracy or not. Replace it with Explosion, Toxic, or Leech Seed depending on your needs.

Reuniclus: Go Modest instead of Mild. You're gonna want some Defense if you plan on surviving long enough to use Recover and stall some things out, so try an EV Spread with 60-72 Def in there, and less speed, since you're not going to be outspeeding much. Consider Shadow Ball for some ghost coverage.

Zoroark: Jolly on this one since it's physical. Night Slash will do more damage than Night Daze in this case. Go Taunt instead of Punishment to stop folks who want to set up on you, and consider putting Swords Dance on him for more power.

Volcarona: Timid instead of Naive. Pick either Fire Blast or Fiery Dance, but not both. For your fourth move, you can go with Morning Sun for recovery, Psychic for type coverage, or maybe something like Sunny Day if you're feeling crafty. Put some Speed EVs on there.

Golurk: This is looking good. Replace Shadow Ball with Shadow Punch, since it's physical.

Conkeldurr: I like Bulk Up on this guy. Split the HP EVs in half with some Special Defense EVs, and give him Mach Punch and/or Drain Punch. He'll last a while, and Payback helps take down Ghosts.

HtR-Laser on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The hell does Litwick evolve? Level 37 already. Better not be a damn friendship.

Rami on
    sig.gif