As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game of Thrones: Episode 4 "Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things"

• Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Oh, I have a good one.
    Littlefinger is doing extremely well for himself.

Actually, I don't think anything horrible has happened to Varys, either.
    Littlefinger lost the love of his life, just because he wasn't physically stronger than someone else.

Varys had a demon eat his penis. Sort of.

Xtarath on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    We don't see him often, but he is responsible for one of the biggest events in the series. I'd say that bumps him up past D list.

no, it doesn't.
    a list would be pov characters
    b list would be people like the hound, robb, jojen, meera, etc
    c list would be like dolorous edd, pod
    just because he is in a huge scene of the series doesn't make him much more than d list. C list at BEST. he's really not a big figure past the one thing he does.

i would say that all of the A and B list characters have something absolutely horrible happen to them at one point or another. so does most everyone else, but
    villains like frey and bolton are going to get their comeuppance, trust me

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Xtarath wrote: »
    Oh, I have a good one.

Littlefinger lost the love of his life, just because he wasn't physically stronger than someone else.

Varys had a demon eat his penis. Sort of.

yeah, littlefinger is doing well NOW, but he has had some fucked up shit happen to him before

and as for varys
    yeah, lost his position and had his good bits chopped off for magic

my point stands!!!!

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh, I have a good one.

other than

that one thing back in the day

D:

EDIT: oh hello from the last page everybody!

also, speaking of those two
    Did Littlefinger ever figure out he boned Lysa and not Cat?

I have it in my head that he didn't but I might have missed something.

Seriously on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    smof wrote: »
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    Plus you know Storm of Swords was split into two books outside of the US:
    Steel and Snow
    Blood and Gold

wait really thats kinda dumb its not that big

Each of the two parts is about 700-800 pages, which is the same range as all the other individual books.

According to wikipedia in France it was cut into four.

still dumb
    you don't chop les miserables or count of monte cristo up, and those are both 1400+ pages

They probably have a structure that wouldn't work as well being chopped up. I really didn't notice the transition between parts one and two of SoS being any different than the transition between any of the other books. It's not like each book is a self-contained story. I mean, ideally the whole of ASoIaF would be one massive tome.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Seriously wrote: »
    Oh, I have a good one.

other than

D:

he says he fucked both so im guessing yes

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Two things:

1. Don't y'all think mentioning specific characters and then posting something like, "OMG I can't wait for episode umptysquat" needs to be spoilered? I mean, come on.

Oh, I have a good one.

other than

D:

Was it ever in doubt? LF boned Lysa because she was there and, hey, why not, but he never was able to catch Cat. He just went around telling people he did.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I forget which book this is
    I mean the one specific time he when was passed-out drunk as a lad and called her by the wrong name

Seriously on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I forget which book this is
    I mean the one specific time he when was passed-out drunk as a lad and called her by the wrong name

that is storm of swords i think? and yes, im sure he figured it out

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Two things:

1. Don't y'all think mentioning specific characters and then posting something like, "OMG I can't wait for episode umptysquat" needs to be spoilered? I mean, come on.

Oh, I have a good one.

other than

D:

Was it ever in doubt? LF boned Lysa because she was there and, hey, why not, but he never was able to catch Cat. He just went around telling people he did.
    He got drunk and slept with Lysa, thinking she was Cat. That's why he thought Cat was in love with him and challenged her fiancee for her, only to be "betrayed" when she rejected him.

I'm pretty sure he's never figured out what happened. It makes his quest for revenge against the Starks much more poignant if it all came down to a drunken mistake.

Cantide on
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Disclaimer: This isn't directed at anybody and this phenomenon is nobody's fault, its just some lamentation on the nature of adapted television. It really is too bad that nobody gets to enjoy real speculation or discussion with this show. That internet past time has always been something that really helps me get into a show, but since everybody has read 5000 pages of spoilers for these characters that doesn't really exist here. I just watched the first episode and wanted to talk about how much I liked it, and I already accidentally figured out
    that a main character is going to die, and how, thanks to a snarky little "inside joke". Woops!

I'm not really trying to complain or whine, of course there are going to be spoilers abound. Hats off to everybody who is doing a good job of hiding them, but for some reason just knowing that most of the internet already knows whats going to happen sucks a little of the joy out of it. I guess what I miss is the comradery of being part of a community, watching things develop together. I loved the LOST threads every week in between episodes, for example, but that just can't happen with this show.

Cool show though, looking forward to the rest of it!

Kid Presentable on
  • Options
    Kitten SwarmKitten Swarm Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kid, I'd spoiler part of your first paragraph if you really don't want to spoil things for other people. It sucks that you got spoilered, but that's a lot of the danger of reading threads about an adaptation of existing media. I remember I had to be careful in the Walking Dead thread when it came out.

It's hard to remember to spoiler a lot of things because the books have been out for so long that some things are just second nature to talk about. I know people are going to try to be careful, but slips will be made.

Heck, it can happen even for an original material TV show. A certain character's death on Buffy was leaked a week beforehand.

Kitten Swarm on
    You may learn that one day to your sorrow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, if we're going to have any hope of being show-friendly, we're going to have be a lot better with using spoiler tags. I mean, as Kitten Swarm said...

Mind you, while reading the books I had to be extremely cautious about reading these threads, because oh boy, one mis-clicked spoiler... It's a dangerous thread to be in.

Legba on
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ya, just because you've been spoiled, doesn't make it alright to spoil others.

I do agree that that joke should have been spoilered though.

skettios on
  • Options
    Kitten SwarmKitten Swarm Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Honestly those of us who've read the books should be extra-diligent about spoilers because the reactions of the people going in to the series blind will be the best. Their tears and frustrations and joys will be the most delicious.

Kitten Swarm on
    You may learn that one day to your sorrow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The joke wasn't even that bad, it was that other people felt the need to call attention to it that made it really egregious.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, that joke would have slipped way under the radar if people hadn't made a quote tree out of it.

Legba on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah seriously people. If you mention anything that's from farther in the story than the series is up to, use tags. Only not use tags if you're only talking about characters by name and about extremely generic things concerning them. Don't take any chances, any story events that you're gonna talk about or even wink-wink towards that haven't been on screen yet, spoiler that shit.

Example of thing that can now go not behind spoilers:
    Cersei and Jaime are totally boning each other.

Example of thing that should still stay behind spoilers:
    What exactly happens to Bran after his fall.

Let's be respectful here. We're all excited about newcomers discovering this story for the first time, let's not drive them away by ruining it for them. If someone makes an especially hilarious comment concerning what they think is gonna happen and you think it deserves a snarky response, keep it to yourself. The mere fact that you respond to them could spoil it for them.

It'll get progressively easier to talk about shit in the open anyway, just be patient.

For example, twincest twincest twincest twincest twincest twincest twincest twincest twincest twincest twincest.
    Dothraki rape.

Actually no, Dothraki rape is totally safe. DOTHRAKI RAPE.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I didn't even get the joke until someone else made a face at it (which was probably enough for someone new to figure it out)

Nonetheless, I've spoilered my quote now, although sadly the damage is already done.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    As an addendum, if you absolutely must make a snarky joke concerning someone badly misinterpreting (or being totally right) about what's gonna happen, then put your entire reply in spoilers, quote tree and everything. That way the original poster won't know you're specifically responding to them and won't have a hint as to what the spoiler is about.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    awwww, no mad laughter? :(

(you're right though)

End on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hey, I can understand the need to suddenly go full mad scientist, we all feel it sometimes. Just keep it in the in crowd. The recipient doesn't have to know it's about them. I feel like this particular series does require some special spoiler policies considering it IS a heavily twisty series for which the plot is already out there but which not everyone is aware of. There aren't too many precedents for it, so we should adapt accordingly.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    well, it's actually a win-win if we keep things spoilered

if we keep things spoilered properly, then people get to post their unspoiled reaction to certain events (also hidden by spoiler tags)

and it is just the greatest
    Like people's reactions to the red wedding is pretty great

And like bale suggested in the OP, we probably should mention which book/episode we're spoilering (that spoiler is just the name of an event in a storm of swords)

We really haven't been doing that very much.

End on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    End gets it. Everyone do what End is doing.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah I got what that joke meant and I haven't read the books. Or at least I had na inkling and then all the haw hawing confirmed it I think I don't know for sure but in all likelihood yeah.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Viscount IslandsViscount Islands [INSERT SoKo HERE] ...it was the summer of my lifeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Balefuego wrote: »
    The joke wasn't even that bad, it was that other people felt the need to call attention to it that made it really egregious.

Yeah when I saw it I was like "Haha funny inside joke." but I figured quoting it or referring to it would make it obvious and be kinda shitty.

Lo and behold other people did it anyway.

Viscount Islands on
    I want to do with you
    What spring does with the cherry trees.
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's ok, guys
    I figured Sean Bean's character would die this season. Dude seems to die in a majority of his roles.

Nirya on
    t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    now let's stop talking about it!

and talk about I dunno what else

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    tits

Seriously on
  • Options
    Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Like "omg I can't wait for Jaime to..."
    got3.gif

also
    got2.gif

got1.gif

got4.gif

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Can we talk about how Tyrion is the best character? Because we are one episode in and he is already my favorite.

Nirya on
    t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    how about that I bought the first book today, and damn, this shit came out in 1996? I know it's been said, but dude is gonna need to pick up the pace

Scudo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    those are some awesome gifs

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Can we talk about

CHARACTER NOT YET INTRODUCED IN THE SHOW SPOILERS/ GENERAL SERIES SPOILERS
    thoros? I am very intrigued by what the fuck is happening with him. Are his powers genuine? Who's pulling his strings? (besides unCat)

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Scudo wrote: »
    how about that I bought the first book today, and damn, this shit came out in 1996? I know it's been said, but dude is gonna need to pick up the pace

the first 3 books came out at a relatively quick pace, it's been books 4/5 (which is really just one big book that he had to split into 2 parts) that have eaten up a majority of the time

4/5 is very much a transition from the first half of the series to the 2nd half of the series.. so here's hoping he does pick up the pace now that he's done with the one that's been giving him all the trouble.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    On a side note I read A Game of Thrones in 1996

I was 13 at the time

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    XtarathXtarath Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hullis wrote: »
    Can we talk about

thoros? I am very intrigued by what the fuck is happening with him. Are his powers genuine? Who's pulling his strings? (besides unCat)
    His powers are obviously genuine, since he you know, revived Dondarrion from the dead. Although it has been shown that he is not the only one who can revive the dead...

Xtarath on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Damn Bale you old.
    You're only one year older than me.

That wasn't a real spoiler. I said he was only one year older than me.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Can we talk about

His powers are obviously genuine, since he you know, revived Dondarrion from the dead. Although it has been shown that he is not the only one who can revive the dead...
    When I say genuine, I mean, did R'hllor hook him up? Or is he the pawn of somebody who imbued with with ze magics, like Mel??

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Can we talk about

When I say genuine, I mean, did R'hllor hook him up? Or is he the pawn of somebody who imbued with with ze magics, like Mel??
    I trust R'hollor and anyone who claims to serve him not even a little.

But Thoros does seem to be at least closer to being on the level than Melisandre. It's important to remember that it wasn't Thoros who created Stoneheart, Beric Dondarrion did that by transferring Thoros' gift to her.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This discussion has been closed.