As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Use the new PSN down thread

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Drez wrote: »
    Sony will give everyone their own buy one get one free coupon for Chipotle.

Man, I love me some Chipotle.

SteevL on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Rather have curried goat.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    a puddlea puddle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Rather have curried goat.

Be careful what you wish for. Last time Sony used goats in their promotional efforts it did not turn out well.

a puddle on
  • Options
    NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Maybe they will give everyone PSN Fun Bucks so we can choose what we want?

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Itchy and Scratchy dollars. Like real money, but fun.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Maybe they will give everyone PSN Fun Bucks so we can choose what we want?

As said before, that's the best route Sony could take to please as many people as possible. It's also probably the most expensive option for them. So I'll be pleasantly surprised if that actually happens.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    JAEF wrote: »
    You are missing my point, which is that "data was not compromised" (the article I linked) is different from "While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility" (Sony's statement). The former states that there is no chance of a problem, the other does not. "Legalese," as you call it, did not prevent Linden from stating that no card data was taken.

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SteevL wrote: »

Who can eat two?

fadingathedges on
  • Options
    amnesiasoftamnesiasoft Thick Creamy Furry Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Who can eat two?
    I could totally eat two Chipotle burritos.

amnesiasoft on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Who can eat two?
    I could totally eat two Chipotle burritos.

Plus, there's a decent chance that if you do eat two of them, you'll die and won't be able to complain about Sony anymore.

Win-win, really.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm just waiting on this presscon thing. It's all well and good to chew old soup and whatnot, but it'd be nice to get actual info as opposed to gossiping like old women.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Barcardi wrote: »
    I just really wish i knew what my security question for sony was. That has the potential to really fuck me over.

To be safe ive changed my passwords on just about any website that i have bought something for or used for financial information. This stuff is a massive pain in the ass.

Just for future reference, and I'm not addressing you personally, no one should answer those questions honestly, as they aren't difficult questions to procure the answers to through a little social engineering/google-fu.

If you can't create a custom question, and don't trust sites that will create random passwords, seriously just slam your face and hands on the keyboard in notepad as the answer.

I don't take it as you calling me out, so no worries. My main issue, and shortcoming, is we are talking websites with security questions that I set up 10 years ago, so I was much much more naive back then. To think to make up fake answers just wasn't on anyone's mind. That isn't to say I haven't been changing my password once or twice a year.

And i think while i might be in the minority in doing so on these forums, i am probably in the majority of those 77 million people/accounts that just continued the practice of real answers.

Still mad at Sony more than myself though. This corporate hide and go seek with what is happening and the delays on announcing such things is such bullshit, even if the credit card info wasn't stolen... or was... or whatever.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The problem with setting up fake answers, is that fake answers are harder to remember.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Which is why you should, obviously, buy a portable USB fingerprint scanner. That way you can use that to fill out any password and secret answer related forms.

Obviously.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The problem with setting up fake answers, is that fake answers are harder to remember.

My state has a website set up to do your income taxes. It allows you to make your own security question, so I set mine as "What is the password?", because I didn't want one that someone else could trivially guess.

A year later, and of course I don't know what the password or the security question answer is! Eventually I was able to get someone to reset it over the phone, but I felt pretty retarded.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

You can be creative. For example if they ask "Who is your favorite team". You can say, "defense" for example. "What state were you born in" you can answer "Confusion"...

halkun on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Slight update maybe? It says its 6 minutes old: Sony Exec to give a press conference on sunday on this whole deal.

Sooooo sunday... not today because they just need a "me" day.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    halkun wrote: »

You can be creative. For example if they ask "Who is your favorite team". You can say, "defense" for example. "What state were you born in" you can answer "Confusion"...
    How is that easier to remember?!

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    what is delicious

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't know what CC I put on PSN, and I haven't bought anything in months. I'm just now dusting off my Ps3 because exam week is over, and it's not signing in, obviously. How do I find out what credit card I put on there?

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Chen your avatar is disturbing.

Henroid on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    what is delicious

It's a valid avenue of inquiry.

For those questions, I have a made-up person with a ridiculous multi-part name. It's my uncle, brother, grandmother, mother's maiden name, favorite book, favorite teacher, and so forth.
    Cantido wrote: »
    I don't know what CC I put on PSN, and I haven't bought anything in months. I'm just now dusting off my Ps3 because exam week is over, and it's not signing in, obviously. How do I find out what credit card I put on there?

If you know what email you used, you can search for anything sent to you with 'Playstation' in the title. It should contain the last four digits of the card you used when adding funds.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    What can change the nature of a man?

Barcardi on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't bother keeping my secret question answer unique for every service. I just consider it a backup password.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Secret questions are kind of a terrible idea. "Hey, want to create a less secure password? Especially something that would be easy to look up or that a casual acquaintance would readily know."

You either make up something that is as hard to remember as the initial password, or you make it easy to break in.

EggPuppet on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    Chen your avatar is disturbing.
    Right back at ya!
    panty ftw!

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Walking in to my bank to get my new debit card was about the least painful experience I could have imagined. It took a whole six minutes at most. I spent a hell of a lot more time listening to busy signals while trying to call in.

Got a temporary card and everything.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just received my replacement credit card. All passwords and secret questions changed. All is as it should be, again.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    halkun wrote: »

How about doing it like Jeopardy?

Security Question: My favorite forum.
    Answer: What is penny arcade.

That's if they allow spaces, but it seems quite a bit harder to guess with that "what is" on there. :P

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What is a man?

slash000 on
  • Options
    KaimakaKaimaka Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What is my favourite book?

or

What is the fifth word of the second sentence in the third paragraph of page 26 of my favourite book?

Kaimaka on
    2bas2j6qpsiv.gif
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3349-7357-2013
    3DS Friend code: 3093 8504 2352
  • Options
    Miso RoneryMiso Ronery Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Daedalus wrote: »

My state has a website set up to do your income taxes. It allows you to make your own security question, so I set mine as "What is the password?", because I didn't want one that someone else could trivially guess.

A year later, and of course I don't know what the password or the security question answer is! Eventually I was able to get someone to reset it over the phone, but I felt pretty retarded.

As much as I abhor any form of "leetspeak", one option is to give a correct answer in a more complicated format, making it easier to remember.

Say the city I was born in is Winchester. I would use w1nch3st3r* as my answer if it wasn't case-sensitive and didn't allow for symbols.

Why don't places normally allow for that anyway? I would think it trivial to allow custom questions, case-sensitivity, and symbols in a secret question/response. I guess the amount of people who would use it are insignificant enough to make the work to do it seem pointless.

*That physically hurt me to type on a public forum.

Miso Ronery on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kaimaka wrote: »

or

What is the fifth word of the second sentence in the third paragraph of page 26 of my favourite book?

So we go old school DOS games copy-protection?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nocren wrote: »

or

So we go old school DOS games copy-protection?

Only if it has a dual imaginary language code wheel!

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Daedalus wrote: »

As much as I abhor any form of "leetspeak", one option is to give a correct answer in a more complicated format, making it easier to remember.

Say the city I was born in is Winchester. I would use w1nch3st3r* as my answer if it wasn't case-sensitive and didn't allow for symbols.

Why don't places normally allow for that anyway? I would think it trivial to allow custom questions, case-sensitivity, and symbols in a secret question/response. I guess the amount of people who would use it are insignificant enough to make the work to do it seem pointless.

*That physically hurt me to type on a public forum.

I don't remember where I heard it, but I heard that most password hacks nowadays take leetspeak into account. Especially the most commons ones like 1=I 3=E and the like. So it's not exactly any more secure than just the word by itself. Not unless you invent your own and replace E's with $'s.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Or use old beeper code for words.

Yeah, yeah, beeper code, who remembers that?

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Were beepers a real technology? I thought they were just a thing doctors used on TV and movies.

In seriousness I have never seen or heard a beeper in the real life.

Kaimaka on
    2bas2j6qpsiv.gif
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Slight update maybe? It says its 6 minutes old: Sony Exec to give a press conference on sunday on this whole deal.

Sooooo sunday... not today because they just need a "me" day.

Whenever I see Kaz Hirai's name, I can only picture him saying either "RIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACER! Heh, remember that one?" and "Five hundred and ninety-nine US dollars."

SteevL on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Were beepers a real technology? I thought they were just a thing doctors used on TV and movies.

Is this your way of making those of us who remember beepers when they were popular feel old? Because it's working, and I'm only 22.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Gilder wrote: »

Is this your way of making those of us who remember beepers when they were popular feel old? Because it's working, and I'm only 22.

Must a be a regional thing or I'm un-observant . I'm older than you. Still never known anyone who used a beeper or even seen or heard a stranger answer one

Edit: What a shite top of the page, this has nothing to do with the PSN or the privacy or security Kerfuffle

Kaimaka on
    2bas2j6qpsiv.gif