Options

Use the new PSN down thread

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Occam's Razor is always in effect, folks.

this level of coincidences is pretty fucking ridiculous.

If the CC info was safe, sony would have said that very clearly and very categorically. The wishy washy bullshit they're releasing tells us that CC info is DEFINITELY ou.

It's like argueing that the 3RL thing was not a project or manufacturing defect, but just completely random and coincidental breakdowns (probably caused by stupid users).

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There are some really obtuse people posting in this thread.

adytum on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If the CC info was safe, sony would have said that very clearly and very categorically. The wishy washy bullshit they're releasing tells us that CC info is DEFINITELY ou.
    They actually did they that it was "safe" as much as legalese allows.
    Q: Was my credit card data taken?
    A: While all credit card information stored in our systems is encrypted and there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility.

I don't know how else you can interpret that. We'll see what they have to say in the press conference tomorrow.

JAEF on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    adytum wrote: »

Wouldn't you know, I agree completely.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Makes me think of this.

JAEF on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The real questions is, did Barrack Obama's CC get stolen?

Because if it did, than he must be a US citizen since they wouldn't issue a card to a non-citizen. HOWEVER, if his info was not stolen, clearly he's a Muslim-African-Terrorist.*

Yes, this is a joke.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm sure Sony have had the credit card information encrypted.

However, I have zero faith in Sony to use encryption effectively.

I mean, surely they would put more effort into keeping their PS3 Root Key secure than they would our stuff.

LewieP on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So how many different ways are you going to make that snarky remark? You've used a few up already.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Have I really? Sorry, don't mean to be a broken record.

Edit: you're right, I said it on the last page... I am sometimes quite forgetful. Ignore me.

LewieP on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think everyone/everything in this thread is a broken record. There's really not much we can do in here aside from complain and speculate. Sony just needs to give us a little more juice to complain about, and we'd be set for another 30 pages.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Also, it's not like Sony is a single person. The person who designed the PS3 encryption is not the person who designed PSN's security.

Glal on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    JAEF wrote: »
    A: While all credit card information stored in our systems is encrypted and there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility.

I don't know how else you can interpret that. We'll see what they have to say in the press conference tomorrow.

You don't know much, then. That's some very obvious and clear "They have your CC shit, but we can't admit it because then we'd lose every single time at the courts forever".

"we cannot rule out that possibility" means "shit most definitely happened yo".

All people who came here to mention they're being scammed confirmed that they're being scammed on the exact same CC that Sony had.

Not to mention that the security of the CC info is compromised, regardless of it actually being leaked or not. That's how IT security works, if you cannot be sure something is safe, than you immediately assume it is compromised and you take all possible measures to contain it. That's how responsible, efficient companies and individuals act. The mere fact that PSN was invaded is good enough reason to change all the related passwords, logins and card numbers.

Why are you putting up this insurmountable wall of denial and making excuses for a particularly shitty corporation? Stop pretending that nothing serious happened. Sony fucked up big time, like few other consumer goods company ever screwed up before, and they're doing everything wrong. Your empty rhetoric, spitefulness and wishful thinking are not gonna change facts.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm pretty sure my old, inactive credit card was on PSN as my last purchase was in 2009, and I don't think I updated with the new card number and exp. date.

Still, I'd like to be sure but can't tell until they get the damn service back online!

Yall on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    You don't know much, then. That's some very obvious and clear "They have your CC shit, but we can't admit it because then we'd lose every single time at the courts forever".

"we cannot rule out that possibility" means "shit most definitely happened yo".
    They'd actually have a far more serious legal issue on their hands if they knew that credit card information had been compromised and didn't fully disclose that. This is very odd of you to say.
    The mere fact that PSN was invaded is good enough reason to change all the related passwords, logins and card numbers.
    Absolutely.
    Why are you putting up this insurmountable wall of denial and making excuses for a particularly shitty corporation? Stop pretending that nothing serious happened.
    Could you point to instances of me doing this? I've been attempting to stem the typical tide of misinformation that naturally gushes from an issue like this. I did make a mistake (as did Sony) with the CVV2 issue, which has been corrected.
    Your empty rhetoric, spitefulness and wishful thinking are not gonna change facts.
    o_O

JAEF on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

:lol:

adytum on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Frankly I'm a little amazed at the pushback some "better safe than sorry" advice has gotten. I'm not saying it's been confirmed the stuff is out there, I'm saying that pretty much the only argument against changing credit card numbers is, by people's own admission, raw laziness.

At any rate. I'll be pretty fascinated to see what we get out of this press conference.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man, folks need to chill out in this discussion.
    I posted something to the effect of
    "hey it's cool what you are saying, but we want to know if Sony has any new info."

and a dialog of insults to people, and overall rudeness is what I wake up to

I feel like I never should have posted.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Frankly I'm a little amazed at the pushback some "better safe than sorry" advice has gotten. I'm not saying it's been confirmed the stuff is out there, I'm saying that pretty much the only argument against changing credit card numbers is, by people's own admission, raw laziness.

At any rate. I'll be pretty fascinated to see what we get out of this press conference.

If people aren't willing to take precautions in the current situation, they don't have much right to complain in my view.

Protecting data is a two-way street. Yes, Sony fucked-up catastrophically, but once there's even a hint of that data getting out into the wild, the customers need to sort their own shit out or be prepared for the potential consequences.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think I've come to a reasonable decision on what Sony's freebie will be, if any.

I'm going to guess it'll be an email voucher that entitles you to a free shipped copy of SOCOM 4.

Reasons? It was a big PS3 release for online players that was out the week of the outage, and I would wager the first big priority for Sony is to get people using the online services again. Therefore, what would be a more realistic way to entice people to log back in then a free copy of their "big" online release?

I personally didn't give much of a toss to get the game myself, but I can see this appeasing the general fan base.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well they will need to give away something that is appropriate for all ages, so it can't be just SOCOM4.

LewieP on
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

I did a little poking around to find a near-identical situation to demonstrate why this line of thought is iffy. Here's one where the company involved said explicitly that card data was not compromised. If the same were true in this case Sony would have every legal right to say so. The fact that they haven't suggests a problem.

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I still can't see them dishing out anything more than $0.50 per person, and that would be digital content. There is just no way they'd shell out that much money.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think a couple free months of PSN+ would be a good idea. Helps increase goodwill, let's people experience it for themselves, and right around E3 they can announce more goodies to get them to extend the membership.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man, folks need to chill out in this discussion.
    I posted something to the effect of
    "hey it's cool what you are saying, but we want to know if Sony has any new info."

and a dialog of insults to people, and overall rudeness is what I wake up to

I feel like I never should have posted.

Eh, it's a console thread.

Anytime something like this comes up you're going to have people with axes to grind and fanboys going head to head with lots of other people trying to come up with super clever one liners. The mods are good at keeping it from getting out of hand but the result is you have people trying out troll each other without actually crossing the line into trolling territory.

It can actually be kind of interesting and amusing to watch but yeah it certainly can become grating after awhile. Especially if what you're looking for is actual news and not people trying to be clever asses to one another.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Let's be completely honest about this: there isn't even a snowball's chance in hell that Sony's recompense is going to satisfy more than maybe 10% of the userbase. It just won't, and here's why:

1. The way Sony has handled things up until this point. You think they're going to get magically smarter? You mean, like they got smarter from the 599 US Dollars debacle(full disclosure: that's the model of the PS3 I personally own)? Or the PSPGo? Or botched backwards compatibility? Or the fact that they're running SOCOM 4 commercials while the network is down? Or...you get the idea.

2. They are out millions because of the network being down. Anything they offer in return for our troubles that has a dollar value in many cases has to be multiplied by $70 million or so. When have they ever been this generous? The absolute most expensive they'll get is the cost of PSN+ for one month for each user, and that'll be a marketing ploy hoping to retain customers. Whatever free games you get on PSN+ will be gone the next month unless you renew.

3. Differing expectations. To be frank, there's a whole spectrum of levels of anger with the service itself right now(loss of personal information aside: that should make everyone mad). Personally, I started as only mildly annoyed because I bought Mortal Kombat for the PS3 instead of 360 because of the controller and Kratos, and now I can't play it online. Thank goodness I stuck with 360 when I got Portal 2 or I'd be really miffed. But for people who bought SOCOM 4, or play other online PS3 games a bunch...they have been impacted more than me on a gaming level, and thus will expect more. But then you get into the stolen information...how do you compensate for that? Answer: they don't. That's what lawsuits are for(and sadly even there those involved will get nearly nothing due to the sheer size of it).

So yeah, barring some level of extreme generousity that would be tantamount to financial suicide, no one is going to get what they want from Sony. I'm pretty sure the company knows this, and knows that they're going to hurt either way, and are going to take the "hunker down and try to recoup losses" approach.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Pureauthor wrote: »
    I think a couple free months of PSN+ would be a good idea. Helps increase goodwill, let's people experience it for themselves, and right around E3 they can announce more goodies to get them to extend the membership.

Yeah this sounds about right. There is just no stinking way they will compensate with anything tangible.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Moioink wrote: »
    To be fair it's not the biggest inconvenience in the world. It took me less than 10 minutes on the phone and I should get my new card tomorrow (would have been today except some pillock decided to get married).

It's the name, address etc. being leaked that bothers me more.

True, unless now you have to make sure you change your card on every single website you use that card for. Which is the part that annoys me. I finally got everything situated from a hack that happened to me last month, and now I have to fucking do it again.

urahonky on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think I've come to a reasonable decision on what Sony's freebie will be, if any.

I'm going to guess it'll be an email voucher that entitles you to a free shipped copy of SOCOM 4.

Again, PSP Go owners have been affected too.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    PSN back up yet? No? Okay, i'm gonna go back to bed.

kyleh613 on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Unless they plan on giving different compensation for PSP & PS3 users, giving away a PS3 exclusive game or PSN+ and nothing else would be highly insulting to PSP users.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Unless they plan on giving different compensation for PSP & PS3 users, giving away a PS3 exclusive game or PSN+ and nothing else would be highly insulting to PSP users.

Maybe they'll give a mini away for free.

ANGRY BIRDS FOR EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited April 2011
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    On the one hand, neither my wife nor I can recall using our card for $30.95 with Travelocity.

On the other hand, someone has access to my CC and only charges $30.95?

Also, what the hell, Travelocity? You don't have anyone to talk about billing on the weekend? Well, new cards/numbers ordered. Then on Monday when I can figure out what this charge is I'll get it dropped.

Shit, thinking about it, I'm not even sure if my PSN account had my current CC on it.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Drez wrote: »

Ugh. Angry Birds isn't a bad game, but the PSP Mini version is a bad port. So much lag in some levels that it's hard to play.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Drez wrote: »

Ugh. Angry Birds isn't a bad game, but the PSP Mini version is a bad port. So much lag in some levels that it's hard to play.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. I bought it and now I have the iPad version. Night and day.

Drez on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hmmm. It appears my login info with my bank is incorrect. Joy of joys.

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011

The way I interpreted it was that because the company had the correct security procedures in place they were able to say that while some information was compromised, their CCs weren't. I could be wrong.

Regardless, Sony can't say the cards weren't compromised because they obviously weren't following protocol. Sony also can't say they were compromised because as others have said, they will lose in court. So we get, "We cannot rule out that possibility, but just in case..."

Vanguard on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Sony could send each of them an extra PSP Go. That should keep the crazies happy.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Sony could send each of them an extra PSP Go. That should finally get rid of their unsold stock.

Fixed. :P

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Sony will give everyone their own buy one get one free coupon for Chipotle.

Drez on