As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Use the new PSN down thread

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    halkun wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://a.yfrog.com/img610/689/kbgwz.jpg
    Snake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

I'm pretty sure that's Che

That's Snake Pliskin.

Oh shit, they're thinking of covering people for the cost of reissuing their credit cards.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    you are right. I get Che and Maddox mixed up and it's been years since I've seen EFNY

halkun on
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Free PSN+ for a month.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The initial phase of the rollout will include, but is not limited to, the following:

Restoration of Online game-play across the PlayStation®3 (PS3) and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems
    -This includes titles requiring online verification and downloaded games
    Access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers
    Access to account management and password reset
    Access to download un-expired Movie Rentals on PS3, PSP and MediaGo
    PlayStation®Home
    Friends List
    Chat Functionality
    The new security measures implemented include, but are not limited to, the following:

Added automated software monitoring and configuration management to help defend against new attacks
    Enhanced levels of data protection and encryption
    Enhanced ability to detect software intrusions within the network, unauthorized access and unusual activity patterns
    Implementation of additional firewalls

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    "Aiming to restore full services" within "this month".

Now they're talking about anonymous, and that they released information about the families of top SCE officials onto the internet.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ...Hoho, time to start blaming up Anon a bit, too. REDIRECT THAT BLAME SONY.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Bringing up anonymous?

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So no hint what the free download might be?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You mean they are going to require a username and password to access the Dev Network. That's pretty boss! :/

halkun on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Questions from the audience?

This oughtta be good.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    TurboGuardTurboGuard Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    ...Hoho, time to start blaming up Anon a bit, too. REDIRECT THAT BLAME SONY.

Wow, really?

I swear some of you people...

TurboGuard on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well they did bring them up, which just seems silly.

I feel like the information given so far is nothing more tangible than whats been in the FAQs for a few days now.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    "By the end of a week time we would like to restart our services in order".

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This is retarded... i dont want Calling all Cars and i sure as shit dont want PSN+

God i hope they get some unfiltered questions.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wait, what? We're actually getting CaC now?

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    They didnt specify the 'free content and entertainment', its supposedly 'region tailored' though. Who knows. I expect the worst.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The reason the FBI has gotten involved is because SNEI is headquartered in the United States.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So when does the free month start because PS+ without having the store for most of that period could be rather pointless.

Couscous on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What is a Calling All Cars? Can I eat it? Is it a thing?

I dunno guys.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Did Sony just admit that they knew about the vulnerability of the servers that got attacked?

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    so when are we gonna get our PS3s in a big pile and burn them

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    You wouldn't want to eat it. It's pretty shitty. Unless you're a fly.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    korodullin wrote: »
    Did Sony just admit that they knew about the vulnerability of the servers that got attacked?

They said it's a 'known' vulnerability, as in IT documented security firms know it exists, but not that they knew it was there.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I'm not sure if by "known vulnerability" they meant they knew of a vulnerability in the PSN, or if the method used by the hacker was a known one.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

They're making it sound like SNEI to blame, being unware of it.

V Faction on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Im sorry, why exactly does a company as large as sony not have their own security division?

Barcardi on
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd like to get all righteously indignant over the fact that it's just a free month of PSN+ and some shitty download.

But then honestly, short of un-losing my fucking personal information, there's literally nothing Sony could do that would satisfy me.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Didn't they switch over to SNEI from SOE like, a week or two before this happened

I remember that being a minor story, and having to agree to a new ToS

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So I guess the reason they took so long to tell everyone what had happened was because they wanted to make sure they told everyone exactly what had happened, and it took a long time to figure out exactly what had happened.

That makes sense, I guess.

Haha,

Q.) So if the credit card info wasn't taken/the motive wasn't money, why did someone hack your shit?

A.) We don't fucking know.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »
    I'd like to get all righteously indignant over the fact that it's just a free month of PSN+ and some shitty download.

But then honestly, short of un-losing my fucking personal information, there's literally nothing Sony could do that would satisfy me.

That's pretty much how I see it too. I already had to explain to my mom, whose credit card I use as a convenience for online purchases, why PSN is no longer a reliable avenue for my leisure money and why she now has to get the card changed. Handing me a shitty game thing and a month free of a service I had absolutely no interest in to begin with just insults me at this point. It feels cheap.

I just want my goddamn Uncharted 2 Lab Weekend damnit.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Didn't they switch over to SNEI from SOE like, a week or two before this happened

I remember that being a minor story, and having to agree to a new ToS

They mentioned in the report that it was done at the start of April. So quite soon.

Oof, being asked as to why someone would want to hack 'em. Throwin' the hardballs.

V Faction on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    So when does the free month start because PS+ without having the store for most of that period could be rather pointless.

The free month started the day it all went down.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Translating Japanese must be hard as shit, because I have never ever ever heard a good on-the-spot translator.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I guess the reason they took so long to tell everyone what had happened was because they wanted to make sure they told everyone exactly what had happened, and it took a long time to figure out exactly what had happened.

That makes sense, I guess.

The first thing you do is tell people what might have happened so they can take precautions. You don't wait 6 days and then tell them. It's not a time to try and save face, it's a time to try and limit any potential damages caused by letting the victims know they've been victimized even if you don't quite understand the hows and whys yet.

Opty on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    instead of them picking out the games to give away how about they just put some credit in our wallets

if I can get a free Arcana Heart 3 out of this whole mess so much the better

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Translating Japanese must be hard as shit, because I have never ever ever heard a good on-the-spot translator.

I think it mostly has to do with sentence structure being different enough that you have to wait for them to finish part of the sentence to translate it properly.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

IMO, a major part of the problem comes from the fact that if you're saying "The boy went to school", in Japanese, it's basically "The boy school to went."

edit: what Cous said.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah that sounds like bullshit PR speak.

They didn't wait so that they could give everyone the details of how their shit was stolen, that's insane reasoning.
    They waited because they hoped further investigation would somehow prove that nothing was stolen and then they could avoid a PR disaster entirely by just not saying anything about the intrusion.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So to get our "free month" of psn+ do we have to sign up with our credit card?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So why weren't the passwords encrypted?

Couscous on