As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Use the new PSN down thread

• Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I haven't tried, but you can link it and play without entering the code (which is just used for the PC copy). If you create a new PSN ID and link it to a different steam account, you could probably play at the same time with 1 copy.

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    KaimakaKaimaka Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Flay wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't want to play single player on my PS3. I bought a PS3 version so my friends who don't have a PC capable of running the game or who don't want to buy it can play coop with me.

FYI, this won't work. You can't play MP with the PC and PS3 version unless you've bought two copies.

Its silly, as you can play split screen on the PS3...

I don't think that is entirely true. Can't you use a second PSN account linked to a second Steam ID to play with the Steam ID you redeemed your free code with? My understanding was you could link as many Steam and PSN IDs for PS3 to PC co-op as you liked, but could only get a free download of the PC Portal 2 using the one-time-only code that came in the PS3 blu-ray case.

Can someone confirm this, PSN was already down when I got home from the shop with my disc on th 21st

Edit beaten by Rakai.

Kaimaka on
    2bas2j6qpsiv.gif
    Switch Friend Code: SW-3349-7357-2013
    3DS Friend code: 3093 8504 2352
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rakai wrote: »
    I haven't tried, but you can link it and play without entering the code (which is just used for the PC copy). If you create a new PSN ID and link it to a different steam account, you could probably play at the same time with 1 copy.

Hmm, true. I'll have to try that.

Its really strange Valve dis-allowed that. I guess to discourage buying the PS3 version, using the code, then selling the PS3 version..

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You simply link the PS3 copy to two Steam accounts, and use the PC code with one account, while the PS3 player uses the second. The PS3 player won't get linked achievements and such, but that's a small price to pay for two copies for the price of one.

Granted, I haven't attempted multiplayer specifically with the friend I did this with, but we haven't had any issues.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Cantido wrote: »
    what is delicious

It's a valid avenue of inquiry.

For those questions, I have a made-up person with a ridiculous multi-part name. It's my uncle, brother, grandmother, mother's maiden name, favorite book, favorite teacher, and so forth.
    Cantido wrote: »
    I don't know what CC I put on PSN, and I haven't bought anything in months. I'm just now dusting off my Ps3 because exam week is over, and it's not signing in, obviously. How do I find out what credit card I put on there?

If you know what email you used, you can search for anything sent to you with 'Playstation' in the title. It should contain the last four digits of the card you used when adding funds.

What site or service do I perform this search? (sorry)

I really need an answer to this. I know what email I used. I don't know what site or service I can use to find the CC I put on PSN.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    We will see. I guess... Anyways back to PSN...

If I were Sony, and PSN was compromised the way I think it is, here is how things should go down.

1) release a new consumer firmware and ban all systems not running it.

2) Re-register for PSN.

3) Sony will generate a new master key, and don't fuck it up this time.

4) Start a grace period where you will need to register your games and associate them with your PSN account. The idea is to generate a new master key, making the old games unplayable.

5) Look for statistical outliers during registration. Investigate anyone registering a disproportionate amount of games.

6) After the grace period is over, update the firmware, give each system it's own decryption key, and revoke the old master key. If you play a game on your system you did not register, it will not authenticate.

7) If a key a compromised, ban that system, and investigate the PSN account holder associated with it.
    6a) Generate a new master key (Now that it's not screwed up anymore), so that all systems using the compromised key can only play the games before the key was hacked. While unhacked systems can use the new key.

This will solve both PSN security and get rid of that bad master key. Everyone is individually authenticated and associated with a revokable machine.

halkun on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    By all logical lines of thought, the hacked PS3s should have nothing to do with the PSN issue.

I somehow doubt the firmware master key of a system is going to be in any way, shape or form related to the security of an online database. All these rumors of redev consoles being used... that'd be silly. No company would give simple dev consoles any kind of remote access to their user database.

Of course. I could just be thinking far too highly of Sony, but I'm trying to pretend they have at least some level of... ability.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Chris FOM wrote: »
    I'm 29 and I still carry a pager, as does every other doctor at my hospital. The same is true where I did my medical school.

Only two people carry pagers / beepers, doctors and drug dealers.

@ LewieP - I didn't know you were giving your PS3 copy of Portal 2 to your mum, that's pretty nice.

@ the PSN debacle - I have like zero hopes to hear anything positive at tomorrow's conference. Sony is probably going to iterate their cooperation with the FBI and Homeland Security.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The youtube video showing how to get games using redev is gone

halkun on
  • Options
    HurtdogHurtdog Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    If the terms of service was updated to state that Sony is absolutely not responsible for any harm that comes to you or your bank accounts due to hacking of their networks would you accept?

Hurtdog on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Around where I live, the firemen and some of the TAC and offshore rescue cops also wear pagers. Again, though, probably for the simple reason that all they need it for is a single alert code to 'get the hell to base' or whatever and pagers work just about everywhere.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    halkun wrote: »
    The youtube video showing how to get games using redev is gone

Good.

Just because Sony fucked up and left some major hole in their system, it doesn't mean theft is warranted.

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT AN INVITATION TO START A PIRACY ARGUMENT. IF YOU FEEL THE NEED TO DISAGREE WITH ME, SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE THAT I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO IGNORE.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    DISCLAIMER: THIS IS NOT AN INVITATION TO START A PIRACY ARGUMENT. IF YOU FEEL THE NEED TO DISAGREE WITH ME, SEND ME A PRIVATE MESSAGE THAT I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO IGNORE.

No need to state this everyone probably agrees that people who pirate software deserve to go straight to jail anyway.

Hurtdog on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My team has a set of pagers that get passed around because it is cheaper to buy and keep a set of pagers that are shared than it is to buy and keep a set of cell phones. Second, we all work in areas where 2-way comm devices are not allowed so pagers are a necessity if you are on-call and want to get your regular job done at the same time.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hurtdog wrote: »
    If the terms of service was updated to state that Sony is absolutely not responsible for any harm that comes to you or your bank accounts due to hacking of their networks would you accept?

I wonder if any organization / company that makes you sign a TOS / agree to one already has that in there. I think I'd have to kill myself if there is.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I wonder if any organization / company that makes you sign a TOS / agree to one already has that in there. I think I'd have to kill myself if there is.

I'm pretty sure Steam has it already.

Hurtdog on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

You just want me dead. :evil:

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    After that one thing where the... gamestation? company changed their ToS to state that people were selling their souls, I'm pretty sure no one reads those things anyway.

I do, but Im pretty sure my brain glazes over about halfway through and I probably miss a lot of details. They are worded about as obtusely as humanly possible.

I mean, I can disagree, sure, and end up with a 300$ paperweight, for all intents and purposes. Its just a little sad to think about. (Yes, I know, single player, but online games are about half the fun these days.)

edited: Here it is. http://newslite.tv/2010/04/06/7500-shoppers-unknowingly-sold.html

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

I'm not sure about absolving them of responsibility for security of customer data, but you can bet your bottom dollar that the new TOS will make you waive your ability to file a class action lawsuit. [size=-2]Thank you very much, supreme court.[/size]

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    ..Nah, steam ToS doesnt even really mention security concerns. it does say any harm to your PC, accidental, consequential, whether valve knows it will happen or not, etc, is none of their problem, though.

Yea, there is a clause in there that says Valve can shove software out the door that can break your PC, even if they know it will, and you agree to let them. thats about the shadiest part I read in there. Again, I might have missed it. Theirs is actually fairly straight forward though. None of that 'THE COMPANY' 'THE USER' etc, business.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Spanish InquisitionSpanish Inquisition Suprise Posting SpainRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    *Stupid speculation disguised as news removed.*
    Well that's good.

Spanish Inquisition on
    AKA: gottabegaming, gotta, gottabeajerk, and Mr. Wave's Point/Click Adventure.

NO ONE EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITION! Oh bugger.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    We have been over that. It is highly unlikely to be true because Sony does not store the CVVs.

Couscous on
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Annnnnd i just got an e-mail from wells fargo because someone that is not me tried to access my account, so they shut down my password. Thank god I had a separate one for that.

Hoping it is unrelated.

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    http://www.irwebcasting.com/live/110501/02/index.html
    Live video for upcoming press conference.

Couscous on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    We have been over that. It is highly unlikely to be true because Sony does not store the CVVs.

Note: Not every online retailer requires CVVs to make a purchase! When my credit card number was stolen (many months ago in an unrelated incident) they didn't get the CVV, so purchases were only made from shady websites.

They can still cause harm without a CVV.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    A lot of retailers don't bother with it. I don't think Steam does, or at least I fat-fingered an out-of-date CVV a while ago and the purchase went through anyway.

EggPuppet on
  • Options
    JaveJave Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My firewall warned me when I clicked the link.

That can't be good.

Jave on
    My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
    (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I'm seeing a projector screen with Japanese text and hearing some classical music and people coughing.

I guess they're getting ready?

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I'm not sure about absolving them of responsibility for security of customer data, but you can bet your bottom dollar that the new TOS will make you waive your ability to file a class action lawsuit. [size=-2]Thank you very much, supreme court.[/size]

Thank you very much, Capitalism. Competition and the bottom line are always looking out for our best interests.

Who the hell reads that wall of legalese anyways?

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    To recap: PSN back up "this week", all PSN members to get free software and 1 month of PlayStation plus free, plus more goodies TBA later

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The conference has started.

edits:

- They're saying that the PSN network servers are located at an AT&T center in San Diego.

- After the PSN was shut down, the PSN servers were mirrored so that a security firm could look over them and investigate.

- "We have confirmed that 3 or 4 digit credit card security codes have not been compromised."

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The translator is really stumbling.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Fucking thing keeps on buffering for me.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    WELL LEAST THEY RULED OUT CVV THEFT.

...Haha, I giggle because they felt it was important enough to say that.

I mean, really.

'We will share information when we have something to share.' Thanks, Sony.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    http://a.yfrog.com/img610/689/kbgwz.jpg
    Snake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE!

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    There are ten million "active credit card users" on the PSN.

I guess the other sixty six million are either accounts that use PSN cards, don't buy anything, or are dummy accounts.

- There will be a "system software update" that will require all PSN users to change their passwords. As an added layer of security the password will only be changeable on the same PS3 that the PSN account was created on, or through a validated email address.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oh sh--, additional firewalls. TIME TO GET BEHIND SEVEN OF EM, SONY. THAT'LL KEEP YOU SAFE.

...This is pretty fail, I have to say. But hey, at least they are going to force you to change your password!

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011

I'm pretty sure that's Che

halkun on
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I heard he was dead.
    It's Snake Pliskin

Vray on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Che didn't have an eyepatch. It is Snake Pleskin from Escape From New York looking at a simple google search.

Couscous on