As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Use the new PSN down thread

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    At my job I was required to carry a pager as recently as three years ago. Then we stopped carrying them because we realized we never used them and also they are stupid.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I lived in a small town as a kid and even my mom had a beeper at the time. She didn't even do anything that required a beeper. I think it only ever got used like 3 times.

Gilder on
  • Options
    Ace JonAce Jon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was watching Jackie Brown today with some friends are we were like hahaha pagers. "Hey, this is Max. You can reach me at 43098234 or at my work at 1230984 - the same number on the card I gave you. Or, you can page me. It's 204393240943 then press star then it's 9832 then wait for the beep, press the pound and then press 5".

Ace Jon on
    Yours truly, Ace Jon.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yep, beepers were pretty widespread in the 90s, but they gradually died off the next decade as people realized cell phones made them redundant. But as Sporky said, some industries held onto them for a weirdly long time.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    yeah..pagers...i'm kinda old (26) and i can't remember ever seeing them at all really, i'm pretty sure my parents had them when I was really young in the 80's, but by the start of the 90's (gogo motorola microtac) mobile phones were small enough to replace them and completely replaced them here.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Yep, beepers were pretty widespread in the 90s, but they gradually died off the next decade as people realized cell phones made them redundant. But as Sporky said, some industries held onto them for a weirdly long time.
    They still use pagers in hospitals, as far as I know. It would be a bit... odd to see a doctor stop everything to take a call on a cell phone. I suppose they could let it go to voice mail, but then they'd have to sit and sift through all of their voice mails, which is most likely going to say "call me back at this number!" They are cheaper to maintain and sturdier.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I figured doctors had switched to smart phone emails and texts the same way everyone else had.

JihadJesus on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Part of the reason for the continued use of beepers in certain places is because cell phone coverage might be fairly shitty in many large hospital complexes.

Couscous on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My dad had a beeper (Im 28...oh god do I win the oldest prize!?) and I remember we used to use it allllll the time to the point that he hated the thing. We just thought it was the coolest technology. He did videoconferencing/general multimedia IT help in a hospital, so I imagine it was so when someone's projector broke or something they could just beep him the room number and he could head there to fix stuff.

But I will never forget the talks.

"Ok - hit * 9 if its an emergency, * 5 if you need me to call you back ASAP but its not an emergency, * 1 if you're just saying hi."

"What if I want to say hi but I ALSO want to have you call me back?"

and then dad never showed us his pager again!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Technology is circular! Beepers are going to make a comeback!!

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    TikhonTikhon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have a family member who works in a nearby hospital, but their complex is designed in such a way that cellphone reception is fine. All the doctors there have smartphones with a certain medical app loaded on it.

Tikhon on
    cockman.jpg
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    what is delicious

It's a valid avenue of inquiry.

For those questions, I have a made-up person with a ridiculous multi-part name. It's my uncle, brother, grandmother, mother's maiden name, favorite book, favorite teacher, and so forth.
    Cantido wrote: »
    I don't know what CC I put on PSN, and I haven't bought anything in months. I'm just now dusting off my Ps3 because exam week is over, and it's not signing in, obviously. How do I find out what credit card I put on there?

If you know what email you used, you can search for anything sent to you with 'Playstation' in the title. It should contain the last four digits of the card you used when adding funds.

What site or service do I perform this search? (sorry)

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SteevL wrote: »
    Barcardi wrote: »
    Slight update maybe? It says its 6 minutes old: Sony Exec to give a press conference on sunday on this whole deal.

Sooooo sunday... not today because they just need a "me" day.

Whenever I see Kaz Hirai's name, I can only picture him saying either "RIIIIIIIIIIIIIDGE RACER! Heh, remember that one?" and "Five hundred and ninety-nine US dollars."

whoops.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    Part of the reason for the continued use of beepers in certain places is because cell phone coverage might be fairly shitty in many large hospital complexes.

Not just cell phone. I got to see exactly why the 802.11g/n in our biggest client's building is so shitty today: Rebar-reinforced concrete, sheet metal floors, plaster walls with wire meshes.. The place is essentially a giant farraday cage! Even with 5 WAP's we can't get great signal. I think there might be some kind of tech that uses wires to conduct the signal for this kind of environment that I need to look into.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    proyebatproyebat GARY WAS HERE ASH IS A LOSERRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SightTDW wrote: »
    Walking in to my bank to get my new debit card was about the least painful experience I could have imagined. It took a whole six minutes at most. I spent a hell of a lot more time listening to busy signals while trying to call in.

Got a temporary card and everything.

Yesterday I called my bank and requested a new debit card. The call took less than ten minutes, and the guy over the phone estimated the new card would get to my doorstep by Wednesday. It ended up being UPS next day delivered.

Man I love [redacted]

proyebat on
    455Bo4O.png
  • Options
    MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DoctorArch wrote: »

You're such a dummy, Dummy.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    All we need to do is wait for Apple to inevitably make a beeper. It fits right into their design paradigm.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    jothki wrote: »
    All we need to do is wait for Apple to inevitably make a beeper. It fits right into their design paradigm.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/40/Alphadual.jpg
    So simple and easy to use.

Seriously, is there any place that is going to liveblog or even have a summary of the press conference up soon after it is over?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Sorry, I'm expecting a call from 1983.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, looking at my initial email from PSN, the Credit Card field is blank.

So I guess that means I don't get to blame Sony for the mysterious Travelocity charge. Now I just need to wait until Monday to figure out what charge is.

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm 29 and I still carry a pager, as does every other doctor at my hospital. The same is true where I did my medical school.

Chris FOM on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Sorry, I'm expecting a call from 1989. I got some cycles to ride.

Fixed! :)

Actually, identity theft was a subtle theme in the original Tron, and events like this would be an excellent place to go with Dillinger Jr. in Tr3n, or whatever they make for #4. They gotta break out and get into the actual internet at some point, and a hacker attack like this would fit right into it.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Chris FOM wrote: »
    I'm 29 and I still carry a pager, as does every other doctor at my hospital. The same is true where I did my medical school.

I never got around to asking at my old hospital, but all doctors carried pagers there as well. If I were to put forward a guess, I'm sure that due to the complexity of medical information, phone conversations are always preferred, but also the amount of cell phone traffic in hospitals, the building design, and the presence of sensitive equipment might also be reason for the hospital to limit their use amongst the on-site doctors.

DoctorArch on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wait, would this outage prevent me from connecting my copy of Portal 2 to my steam account? It hasn't arrived yet, but I'm curious.

Flay on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Flay wrote: »
    Wait, would this outage prevent me from connecting my copy of Portal 2 to my steam account? It hasn't arrived yet, but I'm curious.

Yes. Yes it would.

I've still not played Portal 2 because of this.

:x

LewieP on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    JAEF wrote: »
    adytum wrote: »
    There are some really obtuse people posting in this thread.

Wouldn't you know, I agree completely.
    Makes me think of this.

Makes me think of
    obtuse.png

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Transdimensional WhaleTransdimensional Whale Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    LewieP wrote: »

Yes. Yes it would.

At all? You could still do single player offline on your Playstation.

Transdimensional Whale on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Yes. Yes it would.

At all? You could still do single player offline on your Playstation.

single....player?

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Don't want to play Portal with a controller. I bought the PS3 version so I could give the PS3 disc to my mum and play the PC version myself.

Edit: And when Valve/Sony were marketing it, I was told I'd be able to play it on the PC the day it came out by buying the PS3 version.

LewieP on
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I don't want to play single player on my PS3. I bought a PS3 version so my friends who don't have a PC capable of running the game or who don't want to buy it can play coop with me.

Flay on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Don't want to play Portal with a controller. I bought the PS3 version so I could give the PS3 disc to my mum and play the PC version myself.

Edit: And when Valve/Sony were marketing it, I was told I'd be able to play it on the PC the day it came out by buying the PS3 version.

I'm not sure the Sony/Valve marketing teams can be blamed for you not being able to do that though.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Oh I'm not blaming them, I was just qualifying that my expectations weren't unrealistic or anything, that is how they said it would work.

LewieP on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    And when Valve/Sony were marketing it, I was told I'd be able to play it on the PC the day it came out by buying the PS3 version.

Umm, I don't think that how that works. I think what they were saying was you can play with PC the day it came out. Meaning that You can play with other PC players though Steam by linking your steam account to the PS3 game though PSN.

EDIT:

No I'm wrong. You do get a free PC version, but it's linked to your steam account. So both the PS3 version and the PC version MUST log in with the same Steam ID. I knew thre was a catch.

halkun on
  • Options
    DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    No you get a free PC copy with PS3 Portal 2 as far as I know.

DekuStick on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    DekuStick wrote: »
    No you get a free PC copy with PS3 Portal 2 as far as I know.

Aye, but part of the process of activating it requires PSN.

LewieP on
  • Options
    RakaiRakai Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

You could do that the day it came out. Just not the day after!

Rakai on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]XBL: Rakayn | PS3: Rakayn | Steam ID
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Rakai wrote: »

Not here you couldn't. Damn staggered releases.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah, I don't want to play single player on my PS3. I bought a PS3 version so my friends who don't have a PC capable of running the game or who don't want to buy it can play coop with me.

FYI, this won't work. You can't play MP with the PC and PS3 version unless you've bought two copies.

Its silly, as you can play split screen on the PS3...

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Rakai wrote: »

LewieP is British from what I remember. Portal 2 was released on April 21 in the EU.

Couscous on
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I stand corrected again. Yea, you can't play the PS3 and PC version at the same time. They are both linked to the same Steam account and valve will know when someone is using the same account twice.

halkun on