As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Use the new PSN down thread

• Options
    CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Yeah that sounds like bullshit PR speak.

They didn't wait so that they could give everyone the details of how their shit was stolen, that's insane reasoning.
    They waited because they hoped further investigation would somehow prove that nothing was stolen and then they could avoid a PR disaster entirely by just not saying anything about the intrusion.

Yes, it was:

95271__468x_ishihara-keikakudoori.jpg

Right Ishihara? Cus he knows a thing or two about bullshit PR.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Barcardi wrote: »
    So to get our "free month" of psn+ do we have to sign up with our credit card?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I didn't even realize this

That is the most hilarious back-handed compensation

Bravo Sony, you are the dicks

Maddoc on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Barcardi wrote: »
    So to get our "free month" of psn+ do we have to sign up with our credit card?

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

hahahaha

Henroid on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    Translating Japanese must be hard as shit, because I have never ever ever heard a good on-the-spot translator.

I think it mostly has to do with sentence structure being different enough that you have to wait for them to finish part of the sentence to translate it properly.

Japanese actually relies heavily on the end of the sentence to put a lot of context into the word. If you start translating before they finish, you're pretty much making it up on pure conjecture and could even be proven wrong near the end of what they are saying.

On top of that, there are a lot of words that don't... quite directly translate? Japanese can also be quite ambiguous. Not quite as bad as chinese, but still very 'maybe' 'possibly' 'kind of'.

I kind of wish I could be motivated to get back into it. I spent a good 4 years learning japanese but pretty much let it go to pot over the last 5 years or so because I've had no use for it in the middle of the great white eastcoast.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So why weren't the passwords encrypted?

Why did the dev network have no passwords at all?

halkun on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I remember hearing that Japanese sentences can basically have "not" at the end to negate the meaning. I'm probably just misremembering.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    BACK TO ANONYMOUS.

Breaking news. Sony hints that Anonymous did it. subtly. Very SUBTLE.
    I remember hearing that Japanese sentences can basically have "not" at the end to negate the meaning. I'm probably just misremembering.

You are remembering right, actually. There are a lot of endings and such that can put sentences into the negative. or make it a question, or generally just toy with the rest of it.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Anonymous again.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Translating Japanese must be hard as shit, because I have never ever ever heard a good on-the-spot translator.

I think it mostly has to do with sentence structure being different enough that you have to wait for them to finish part of the sentence to translate it properly.

Japanese actually relies heavily on the end of the sentence to put a lot of context into the word. If you start translating before they finish, you're pretty much making it up on pure conjecture and could even be proven wrong near the end of what they are saying.

On top of that, there are a lot of words that don't... quite directly translate? Japanese can also be quite ambiguous. Not quite as bad as chinese, but still very 'maybe' 'possibly' 'kind of'.

I kind of wish I could be motivated to get back into it. I spent a good 4 years learning japanese but pretty much let it go to pot over the last 5 years or so because I've had no use for it in the middle of the great white eastcoast.

Ah, I see. Even in German, a language not too different than English, sentence structure can be really awkward. Things like verbs being moved to the end of the sentence make it difficult to translate on the fly.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So PSN passwords weren't encrypted, just hashed.

Ok sure.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    halkun wrote: »

Having to remember that kind of information would have been a strain on developers. Sony wanted the process of working on a game to be as easy for them as possible.

:?

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    They should at least have some explanation other than this:
    "Why weren't passwords encrypted?"

"The passwords were not encrypted. Next question."

Couscous on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Any elaboration would hurt them so it's probably best for them to leave it at that

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So would the PS store being down prevent redeeming codes like with MK9's online shit?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well, the dev network not having a password kind of makes sense? Theoretically it should have only been accessible to PS3s with a devOS, which should have been locked down by a master key.

Of course, once Sony knew the master key had been compromised they probably should have added more security to that particular network. Before that the PS3 was acting as a OTP device of sorts, so I am led to believe.

As for the passwords not being encrypted... Yeah, that's pretty retarded. 'Well, we never thought anyone would look there!' seems to be the only excuse. I guess that'd be pretty embarassing to say aloud, though.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So would the PS store being down prevent redeeming codes like with MK9's online shit?

You need to be able to access the PSN to redeem PSN codes, so yes.

You can still use them once the network is back up though.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Apparently, a bunch o' mail got sent at Sony to disrupt them.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The person just asked if people have been canceling their accounts already due to the loss of personal details.

Kinda hard to cancel a PSN account if you can't access the PSN.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

You need to be able to access the PSN to redeem PSN codes, so yes.

You can still use them once the network is back up though.

The store is going up later than the rest of PSN. Is it done through the store or just through PSN?
    Restoration of Online game-play across the PlayStation®3 (PS3) and PSP® (PlayStation®Portable) systems
    -This includes titles requiring online verification and downloaded games
    Access to Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity for PS3/PSP for existing subscribers
    Access to account management and password reset
    Access to download un-expired Movie Rentals on PS3, PSP and MediaGo
    PlayStation®Home
    Friends List
    Chat Functionality
    SNEI will continue to reinforce and verify security for transactions before resuming the PlayStation®Store and other Qriocity operations, scheduled for this month.
    I guess it should fall under that?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    They just implied that you might be able to get the amount of money in your wallet refunded to you if you cancel your account.

edit: PSN codes are redeemed through the store, so they'll be unusable until the store is up and running.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

... Yeah, I'm not buying another PS3 (to replace the one I gave away).

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    This is dumb. PSN granted escalated access to the network without authentication simply because developer mode was set on the local machine.

1) What was developer mode even doing inside consumer machines? (Laziness)
    2) Why were you not using 3rd party merchant for credit card transactions. (NIH issues with Sony)
    3) Why did you place so much trust in the client? Did you honestly think the PS3 was "unhackable"? (Yes)

halkun on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Obviously sony needs to get behind 7 firewalls to go with their 7 spus.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    1) What was developer mode even doing inside consumer machines? (Laziness)
    $599.99

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Sixteen million PSPs have been connected to the PSN, and I still can't find any motherfuckers to play Untold Legends with on adhoc Party.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I take it you've never heard of dongles.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »

Any elaboration would hurt them so it's probably best for them to leave it at that

Well, the whole point is You Don't Store Passwords EVER. What you do is store the password's salted hash. This one is a definite WTF.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I admit...

I am taking more glee than I should watching Sony twist like this. It's actually pretty sad. It took an international breech of security for them to figure out who their customers are. Sony Japan's foreign branches (Europe, America, etc) are just marketing and licensing arms. They are ill equipped to have a dialog with the very people who bought their products.

This is a massive communication failure. I wonder if they are going to fix *that* going forward.

halkun on
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Shinji Hasejima added later that that the passwords were hashed.

Edit: No mention of how. Hopefully the designers knew better than MD5 without salt.

Vray on
  • Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »

Well, the whole point is You Don't Store Passwords EVER. What you do is store the password's salted hash. This one is a definite WTF.
    I bet they used plain MD5 with no salt.

The Anonymous on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Can someone explain to me what these security terms mean exactly?

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I bet the hash key was in a cleartext file in the same dir.

That whole presscon was very unsatisfying. I think kaz should have committed harikiri out of shame. That would have made me feel better.

Blood for the blood God!

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    And it's over.

Well, that was something.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kaz Hirai wrote:
    If I had an account on PSN I would be the first to cancel my account.

Next week's headline "Kaz Hirai resigns from Sony."

Edit: It may have been the person asking the question that said that. Hard to tell with the translator.

Vray on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Vray wrote: »
    Kaz Hirai wrote:
    If I had an account on PSN I would be the first to cancel my account.

Next week's headline "Kaz Hirai resigns from Sony."

Meanwhile, a PR person silently weeps.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    2:36 JST: Q: Was this hack exploiting a known vulnerability, or a new one? A: The one at this time was a known vulnerability, but SNEI management was not aware of it. We're creating an information security officer to improve that. (Sony declined to discuss details of the exploit... it sounds like protections against it aren't in place yet.)
    Derpy derp derp derp derp.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I guess I missed most of it. I'll have to dig up a transcript if/when one becomes available.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Triple B wrote: »
    So I guess I missed most of it. I'll have to dig up a transcript if/when one becomes available.

Here's a brief recap:
    Audience member: So, how fucked are you guys, exactly?

[Kaz Hirai figits in his seat slightly]

Kaz Hirai: Pretty fucked.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    A lot of the questions revolved around how the breached happened and why there weren't measures already in place to deal with them. Sony answered to the effect of "There were breaches, which were dealt with. This particular breach tripped us the fuck up."

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"