As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass 3ffect: 2012

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Zzulu wrote: »
    I want a maleshep trailer

But them refining the look of standard femshep would be sweet. She looks so generic

I wonder. On one hand, the default Mrs. Shepard is pretty generic....though of what, I'm not as certain.

On the other hand, default Mr. Shepard always strikes me as generic "white guy can't pull of shaved head." Also, if he smiles, he might look like an advertisement for a sex offender registry.

It's like a weird balance, almost. I guess I don't like either default appearance.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Silverman's latest tweets seem to suggest they're looking at a "fan trailer competition" for the FemShep trailer, which to me has always seemed to say "we can't be bothered to make this, you guys go do it" more than "you talked and we listened", but whatever.

Mike Danger on
    Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Canon Shep is male Shep.

He gets the box art, he gets the trailers. That's just how it is. That being said, the number of femSheps I have created far outweighs the number of maleSheps.

Canon Shep, much like the Normandy S-2's primary weapon, must be upgraded before the player has reached perfection.

Thus, while canon shep is MaleShep, properly calibrated Thanix Cannon Shep is FemShep.

Bobble on
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Bobble wrote: »
    Canon Shep is male Shep.

He gets the box art, he gets the trailers. That's just how it is. That being said, the number of femSheps I have created far outweighs the number of maleSheps.

Canon Shep, much like the Normandy S-2's primary weapon, must be upgraded before the player has reached perfection.

Thus, while canon shep is MaleShep, properly calibrated Thanix Cannon Shep is FemShep.

I'm going to take the moderate view and say that both are canon. This comes from my long discussions with my sister. I got her into Bioware RPGs years ago, and we came up with an easy solution. I refer to the PCs as male, she refers to the PCs as female, and we both know what the other is talking about with no arguments over which is canon. It works out pretty damn well, and lets us move the conversation on to other things, like how the correct decision is blowing up the Collector Base because no Cerberus operation should be a 100% success for them.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Canon Shep is male Shep.

I'm going to take the moderate view and say that both are canon. This comes from my long discussions with my sister. I got her into Bioware RPGs years ago, and we came up with an easy solution. I refer to the PCs as male, she refers to the PCs as female, and we both know what the other is talking about with no arguments over which is canon. It works out pretty damn well, and lets us move the conversation on to other things, like how the correct decision is blowing up the Collector Base because no Cerberus operation should be a 100% success for them.

Canon Shep installed Udina as the Human councillor. He's obviously a very stupid and low-class Shep, and unworthy of discussion. Why talk about him? He probably has fucking brain damage or something.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have no idea what you crazy people are babbling about, not only is FemShep the canon Shep, my specific and unique snowflake of a FemShep the the canoniest of canon Sheps.

When I see trailers featuring WangShep I just chalk it up to the incredible sexism of the Alliance military recruiters.

But seriously, after playing the same FemShep three times in a row through ME1 and then three or four (maybe three and a half) times in a row through ME2, other Sheps regardless of gender just seem kind of...off.

I do think BioWare should at least try and make a ME3 trailer that points out how you can actually customize your Shep, if they haven't already trod that ground in some ME1 trailer I've forgotten about.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    ElixirElixir Saving Your Ass Alchemists and Belts EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd like to see a trailer with both a femshep and maleshep. All real Mass Effect fans know the N7 armor is the defining characteristic that makes Shepard in the trailers. So have a trailer done where it transitions between the two genders, and six classes just to mix it up.

Imagine maleshep soldier runs up and kicks in a door while blasting away with a reverent. through the door a femshep vanguard charges through and punches a krogan husk in the face. Krogan charges back and knocks her off a ledge and rolling away from the fall is maleshep adept who start ripping people apart with his mind. All of course while wearing the iconic N7 armor. Continue until all classes are covered in epic ways.

I think I just gave myself a nerd boner...

Elixir on
    ElixirSulfClipCropped1(s)1.jpg

• Options
    SekxtionSekxtion Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Elixir wrote: »
    I'd like to see a trailer with both a femshep and maleshep. All real Mass Effect fans know the N7 armor is the defining characteristic that makes Shepard in the trailers. So have a trailer done where it transitions between the two genders, and six classes just to mix it up.

Imagine maleshep soldier runs up and kicks in a door while blasting away with a reverent. through the door a femshep vanguard charges through and punches a krogan husk in the face. Krogan charges back and knocks her off a ledge and rolling away from the fall is maleshep adept who start ripping people apart with his mind. All of course while wearing the iconic N7 armor. Continue until all classes are covered in epic ways.

I think I just gave myself a nerd boner...

Sekxtion on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I would want FemShep in a trailer if it means she finally gets her own default face model.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    yeah Bioware really needs to amp up the faces if they want FemShep in a trailer

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    ElixirElixir Saving Your Ass Alchemists and Belts EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    And hair that doesn't look saturated in grease.

Elixir on
    ElixirSulfClipCropped1(s)1.jpg

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tried to do a "not banging anyone" run with my vanguard maleshep.

Ended up having to make a half promise to bang Ashley after Ilos because apparently asking her about her sisters turns her on.

I swear to god you just can't talk to any of the possible love interests or if you do you have to openly mock them because otherwise they're going to end up looking to jump you.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Ended up having to make a half promise to bang Ashley after Ilos because apparently asking her about her sisters turns her on.

I swear to god you just can't talk to any of the possible love interests or if you do you have to openly mock them because otherwise they're going to end up looking to jump you.

That's how it works for me IRL too, does it not for you?

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    There is no Canon Shep apart from, broadly, N7 marine, Eden Prime, met Liara, offs Saren, fights reapers etc. This isn't a KoTOR where the corpus requires a working definition, which is why the books try to use gender-neutral language and avoid referring to the Big Choices. ME2 Default Shep is designed to make an easy introduction for new players, not to affirm Shepard as a moron.

VanderShep is the commercial face because of marketing demographics, and by the same token tends to be portrayed as a soldier (see Blur trailer) since that class's adherents outnumber every other one combined.
    nbc_the_more_you_know.jpg

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Usually with any given love interest you'll get a conversation option whose middle path is something like "Let's keep it professional." No matter how weird it'd be to say that at that exact moment, do it, or they will be on your cock before you know it.

It's too bad this happened to you after Virmire or you could've dealt with the problem the same way I dealt with my Kaiden issue... with "noble" sacrifice.

Actually because of who my Shep is, having him as her love interest really did just make the choice that much more agonizing, but Ashley was with the bomb, and destroying the facility was the most important thing there, so it just gives her a super dark past. Hence my doing the exact same thing in my NG+

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Pffft. What do you think you're doing bringing logic into this SoundsPlush?!

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Frustrating part is I did the "back off" option when it seemed like the conversation was getting into do me territory and I even debated offing her just to be sure but ultimately wanting Kaiden dead won out.

Oh well at least I can use her acting like an ass in ME2 to justify hooking up with whoever.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Reapers versus Threshers, Ships exploding above a city, and leveling a good portion of it, fifteen foot tall mechs, all sound awesome, and rad. But, I'm hoping they don't neglect the small moments like Chakwas, and the brandy, it's those moments that really make the ME series for me, and I hope that there are a lot more of those.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    i think they literally said they got such good feedback from spilling drinks with chakwas that they want to use that concept again

Nuzak on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    They're hitting two birds with one stone. There was a bit of a misunderstanding with the early reports, like the 50 ft tall mech - not only is it 15 ft tall, but it's being piloted by a blitzed Chakwas.

She's an angry drunk.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It turns out you were the catalyst for unlocking her raging alcoholism. You can either become her sponsor and help her through this tough time, or enable her and use her newfound uninhibited viciousness on the battlefield as a squad member.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Which presents a pretty serious imbalance for the paragon/renegade paths. Berserker Chakwas is basically playing the game on easy mode. The first time her Blood Frenzy was witnessed, the reapers looked at each other with their hundred eyes and said in unison, "Fuck. This."

Some say the last we heard from them, departing with undignified haste, was "Andromeda is lovely this time of cosmic year."

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kainy wrote: »
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Canon Shep is male Shep.

Canon Shep installed Udina as the Human councillor. He's obviously a very stupid and low-class Shep, and unworthy of discussion. Why talk about him? He probably has fucking brain damage or something.

You are looking at it completely wrong. He's not low class or stupid. He's evil. He spends all of his time ruining the lives of others. Think about it for a moment. How many lives did he ruin due to putting Udina on the council? The answer: All of them.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Udina is a politician

I always put him on the council and I never notice any negative effects. Anderson is always depressed no matter what I do though

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I would want FemShep in a trailer if it means she finally gets her own default face model.

Just give me the eyebrow scar back, and I'll be happy.

milk ducks on
  • Options
    Dharma BumDharma Bum Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Udina is a politician

I always put him on the council and I never notice any negative effects. Anderson is always depressed no matter what I do though

Putting Anderson on the council seems like a feel good decision that will bite you in the ass in ME3...

Dharma Bum on
    olgafjpg.jpg
  • Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wasn't really a feelgood decision so much as a self-serving one. Anderson supported me every step of the way while Udina was a lot more cautious in trusting my wacky dreams. That would otherwise be the sensible way to progress, but when there are species-destroying spaceships on the way we don't have time for caution.

It was pretty apparent that Anderson would be miserable in that position, but I wanted to have friends in high places so gogo nepotism (or cronyism, if you want to use the modern specific term).

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Udina is a politician

Not like it matters either way.

Anderson resigns no matter what position you choose for him.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    milk ducks wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »

Just give me the eyebrow scar back, and I'll be happy.

I want the nose bridge scar, myself.

Really tied the face together.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Ad astra wrote: »
    Reapers versus Threshers, Ships exploding above a city, and leveling a good portion of it, fifteen foot tall mechs, all sound awesome, and rad. But, I'm hoping they don't neglect the small moments like Chakwas, and the brandy, it's those moments that really make the ME series for me, and I hope that there are a lot more of those.

Couldn't agree more

The first time crew got kidnapped I was wholly indifferent. Still had Joker, still had my team. Oh no, lost a bunch of cerberus homps. The tragedy. Time to do some side quests.

Then it hit me and I stopped, eyes going wide and half shouted "They took the motherfucking doctor?"

It wasn't until after I'd finished the suicide mission for the first time I realized how well Bioware had played me.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    On the subject of faces, the fact that they said they finally got the hair so it isn't complete shit and that they'll be adding long hair has me giddy.

Fabio Shepard will finally live.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Couldn't agree more

The first time crew got kidnapped I was wholly indifferent. Still had Joker, still had my team. Oh no, lost a bunch of cerberus homps. The tragedy. Time to do some side quests.

Then it hit me and I stopped, eyes going wide and half shouted "They took the motherfucking doctor?"

It wasn't until after I'd finished the suicide mission for the first time I realized how well Bioware had played me.

For me it was the engineers.

"Oh no you didn't just take Donnelly and Daniels!"

Deadfall on
    7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Basically.

Ken and Gabby were cool people...no one left behind.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Deadfall wrote: »

Couldn't agree more

Yup.

Rest of the crew, I'll throw under a bus at the trial, no mistake. But Ken and Gabby (And Joker and Chakwas) are going to get off scott free in any deal made.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I don't know. I liked the cook too.

Honestly, of all the people you can talk and interact with, Kelly was the only one I didn't care for.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Deadfall wrote: »

Couldn't agree more

Thank Goodness you got here so quickly, commander. We'd be goners for sure!

That's great, now let's talk about that money you owe me from the card game.

Bobble on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    shep's always got his priorities squared away

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    green-eyesgreen-eyes Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

It feels like non-love-interests have to be either a different sexuality or celibate to not want to jump Shep. In ME3 i'd like to see a character who is perfectly suited to Shep in terms of sexuality and stuff, but just isn't attracted to him/her for one reason or another. As happens in reality.

Or even have romances between OTHER characters in the ship, i.e. allude to the fact that Shep wouldn't be the only one getting romantic.

green-eyes on
    car.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    green-eyes wrote: »

It feels like non-love-interests have to be either a different sexuality or celibate to not want to jump Shep. In ME3 i'd like to see a character who is perfectly suited to Shep in terms of sexuality and stuff, but just isn't attracted to him/her for one reason or another. As happens in reality.

Or even have romances between OTHER characters in the ship, i.e. allude to the fact that Shep wouldn't be the only one getting romantic.

They have one.

She's DLC only.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Not gonna lie, I'm eagerly awaiting the mission where Ashley shows up in ME2 so I can be a giant asshole to her.

HappylilElf on