As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East 2012

• Options
    Kiss Me GoodByeKiss Me GoodBye Registered User regular
    I know my bf is trying to get more of his friends to go because we had different tastes at PAX earlier this year. He spent a majority of time playing video games whereas i was interested in the panels and shopping and music. I had a blast but we spent a fortune on the Westin (though it was totally worth it...I loved that hotel and the magical dual shower heads.)

Next year though I'm hoping I'm not traveling alone most of the time lol. I met up with some of my Popchix which was nice and next year more of them may be going.

Also I know we discussed this earlier at the female breakfast...it has to be EARLIER than Sunday! haha! I loved meeting fellow female nerds I just wish we all met earlier! lol <3

SQUID
    PAX EAST 2011 * 2012 * 2013 *2014 *2015 *2016 | PAX PRIME 2013| PAX UNPLUGGED 2017
  • Options
    RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    o hai Squid 8->

Rdr on
  • Options
    Oh hey Rdr :-bd

SQUID
    PAX EAST 2011 * 2012 * 2013 *2014 *2015 *2016 | PAX PRIME 2013| PAX UNPLUGGED 2017
  • Options
    flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    Hokay. So. Summer is well on it's way. As is my custom, my post-PAX forum exile has come to a close (btw nice new forums). Trying to get a basic grasp of dates to keep in mind. I got extremely lucky last year and managed to get Amtrak tickets cheap for the Train Alliance, got in the westin waterfront, and had a byoc seat. Don't want to miss any of that this year (I just wish the ETA would arrive early enough for the PPD).

Who will decide on the trains for the ETA (Moe?), and when will that info be posted?

When did BYOC slots open for east last year?

What about the group hotel site? This is what I'm most worried about. I managed to book last year on my iPhone during EMT class. Don't want to have to do that again.

I could search for some of this stuff but this way the answers will be in the main thread for all to see. (and if it turns out some/all of these were already answered here.... I will have brought shame upon my family)

Thanks all!

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    PPD will be done by me or VisionsofClarity. I think tickets go on sale Dec/Jan

Moe will be doing ETA and I think he does that around Nov/Dec

Tickets//Hotels all late sept/oct

BYOC...I can't remember off the top of my head when it was done but probably before the new year

Just hit up the forums a few times a week

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    The trains will likely be the same as last year. It's a difficult balance to get all the trains to meet up in a common place and then the same train from there to PAX (as evinced with one line ending up late and having to take a later train in this year). With that, the ETA schedule only really changes with the Amtrak schedule (which only changed by mere minutes compared to last year). Unfortunately, for many of the train lines, there's only one train per day, so that schedule is pretty locked in. I would love for the trains to get in early enough for the PPD as well, unfortunately trying to change Amtrak's schedule is like trying to steer, well, steer a train.

However, that info will likely go up soon after PAX Prime. So look for the ETA thread around October or November (probably November, as I get married this October and will be otherwise occupied).

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Might end up doing the train thing this year, so I'll be looking out for that information with great anticipation. :)

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    I would love to do the train but it's mad expensive even with the discount. So it looks like we'll be driving again (FALLING ASLEEP THIS TIME) - I had a traumatizing experience with my boyfriend driving in the dark scary off roads of Connecticut during that Nor-easter? It was AWFUL lol. PLEASE no crazy rains while driving again!!

SQUID
  • Options
    BeerNgamingBeerNgaming Registered User regular
    I would love to do the train but it's mad expensive even with the discount. So it looks like we'll be driving again (FALLING ASLEEP THIS TIME) - I had a traumatizing experience with my boyfriend driving in the dark scary off roads of Connecticut during that Nor-easter? It was AWFUL lol. PLEASE no crazy rains while driving again!!

There was a snowstorm when I left for PAX. Within the first 45 minutes, I was pushing a car back onto the street.
    My scariest moment was when I briefly lost control going down a hill, because the lane was covered in snow. Turned out alright.
    This year is in April, so hopefully the weather will be better, but rain is still is entirely possible.

• Options
    Thanks Moe!

This thread has reignited the old urges and ancient longings for all things PAX. Argh!

ETA
    PPD (if the Sonic Line doesn't get in on time for the Official PPD, I think I may find a place and hold a PPD for train riders - we are hungry when we arrive and the galley car is $$$$)
    Pre-PAX Gaming Night in the Westin Lobby (Munchkin, Pandemic, Smallworld.... Monopoly?!?)
    BYOC (robot unicorn atttaaaaaaack)
    challenge coin
    forum badge
    D&D (willi burger is my hero)
    Spy-checking my cosplaying compatriot Mike (spy here!)
    Learning new games in the TT area (Betrayal at House on the Hill, Cthulhu dice, Mad Scientist University)
    Never going to the concerts because I'm lame

Last year East was the same weekend as the Beer Advocate Extreme Beer Fest. I was super bummed when I missed out on tickets for it, but in retrospect I never would have left the BCEC, and would have missed Something Wonderful if I did. I hope to meet all of you this next year - I played lots of games and met a ton of new friends, but only ran into a handful of forumers. Even though I had my BYOC spot I didn't really check in on the forums at all during the show. Mainly just used twitter and word of mouth.

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options

There was a snowstorm when I left for PAX. Within the first 45 minutes, I was pushing a car back onto the street.
    My scariest moment was when I briefly lost control going down a hill, because the lane was covered in snow. Turned out alright.
    This year is in April, so hopefully the weather will be better, but rain is still is entirely possible.

Oh dang! I take it you were coming from the north, we drove up from Philly so we mostly were stuck in rain. I hope it doesn't snow/rain again that late in the season.

SQUID
  • Options

Really? IIRC, my ticket from Baltimore to Boston was <$75 (and the jetblue airfare back was even cheaper). Sure you probably didn't spend $75 per person in gas/food, but we were comfortable on a decent Amtrak train, where we were free to play games, eat and drink, and generally relax during the trip. No one had to stay awake, drive, listen to a gps or get lost.... I met more people on the train going to East 2011 than I did during the whole of East 2010.

If you ask me, I can't afford to drive to PAX...

• Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    The crazy spring weather is why I set up the ETA as opposed to a reverse CCST (which people practically pounded down my door to make happen until I explained they would all die if it did happen).

E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    So if a girl is wearing a skimpy costume, it's okay to check her out or whatever from a distance (I mean, let's be honest, we're asking for it), but just keep in mind to look at their eyes when asking for a picture/conversing.

Seriously, cannot stress this enough. When I wore my Ivy (Soul Calibur) costume on Sunday of East '11, I had to constantly remind people that my eyes are not on my chest.

• Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    So I have been away for a while, and I see that people are excited for PAX East already. I am too! I think I may have two possible costume ideas to work on, one for CB and the other because I want something awesome. Let's just say that I will be angry if people don't get it. It will also be my first major foray into sewing a full costume. The CB one, however, I can share now, is I am planning to be the Pink Nightmare and hand out cookies on Sunday.

Also, I have plans for Portal 2 cookies.

• Options
    Let's just say that I will be angry if people don't get it.

Going as an Angry Bird? ;)

• Options
    bushnrvnbushnrvn Registered User regular
    I am so unbelievably pumped for my second PAX. Bringing along the fiancée for the second go around. STOKED.

PAX Prime 2013 checklist: 4 Day Pass [X] Accommodations [X] Travel [ ] Time Off [X]
  • Options
    RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    Rdr wrote:

Oo! Oo! A guessing game! I'm good at these! Let's see........ Mr. Crocker from "The Fairly OddParents"? He's always angry. Am I right? I'm right, aren't I? :'D

• Options
    JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    Rdr wrote:

Oo! Oo! A guessing game! I'm good at these! Let's see........ Mr. Crocker from "The Fairly OddParents"? He's always angry. Am I right? I'm right, aren't I? :'D

I think Perry the Platypus would be an awesome costume.

Next year will be my first PAX. I am already looking which mode of travel I'd like to take to get there.

• Options
    blAAAm!!!blAAAm!!! Cleveland, OhioRegistered User regular
    PAX East 2011 was my first PAX and I had a blast. I took the train but next time I think im gonna fly in and do the MMT since the trains didnt get in til late. I will miss the gaming on the Trains but I would like to do the MMT in Boston at least once.

• Options
    So it's officially become my dream to be an Enforcer one day. Yup.

• Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    JerYnkFan wrote:
    Rdr wrote:

I think Perry the Platypus would be an awesome costume.

Next year will be my first PAX. I am already looking which mode of travel I'd like to take to get there.

CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP. :P

Yes, I am planning on being an Angry Bird. but my problem is mainly how the snood do I make the costume portable, light enough to wear and not feel overheated, yet completely accurate.

That said, I'd love to do a group thing with it, with each of the birds, a king pig, and maybe even a slingshot, so when the cosplay thread opens up, I'll put out that call.

• Options

Do eet! You should apply for East 2012. :)

Yes, I am planning on being an Angry Bird.

I winnar! Take that, Rainbow!

(*)

• Options
    MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    I'm excited that the forum is already buzzing about PaxEast. I am unable to go to Prime this year- so it's what I am looking forward to!!! RainbowTunnel, I hear you get to see a special "Enforcer Only" video :) I will be trying to secure a spot in the media room this year!

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
  • Options
    ruggratruggrat Registered User regular
    I'm very excited for my 2nd Pax East. I can't even enunciate what a great time we had. Definitely going to show up on Thursday this year for some of the pre-PAX festivities.

• Options
    SkyOticSkyOtic Registered User new member
    Hello guys and gals,

I'm going to PAX East for the first time next year, all the way from Belgium. Everyone (read: Rooster Teeth and Mega64) on my twitters and facebooks was always talking about it, so I made myself some money and will go next year. Is there anything I need to know about it from experience? Like Ho(s)tels, public transport to and from PAX, etc.

Belgian dude. Yes, go ahead and follow me on twitter: @SkyOtic, or add me on XBL: SkyOtic
  • Options
    SkyOtic wrote:
    Hello guys and gals,

I'm going to PAX East for the first time next year, all the way from Belgium. Everyone (read: Rooster Teeth and Mega64) on my twitters and facebooks was always talking about it, so I made myself some money and will go next year. Is there anything I need to know about it from experience? Like Ho(s)tels, public transport to and from PAX, etc.

That's awesome that you're making the trip! There is a lot of information on this forum about hotels, transportation and such.

I'd check out the search feature or browse topics from last year here on the forum.

It is probably better to ask direct questions because we don't know how you'll be travelling and such other than by airplane.

You can browse http://www.hgpaxeast.com/ and specifically http://www.hgpaxeast.com/index.php?title=International_Traveler's_Guide

• Options
    Rdr wrote:
    That's awesome that you're making the trip! There is a lot of information on this forum about hotels, transportation and such.

I'd check out the search feature or browse topics from last year here on the forum.

It is probably better to ask direct questions because we don't know how you'll be travelling and such other than by airplane.

You can browse http://www.hgpaxeast.com/ and specifically http://www.hgpaxeast.com/index.php?title=International_Traveler's_Guide

Well, the plan would be as following: land in Boston on Thursday, and leave Boston on Monday. I already secured a hostel not that far from the Expo (about 40 minutes walking, but that's Google for you). But I'll read those links you posted, should be helpful. I guess the probelm would be that I've never been to the USA before PAX East, and think the public transport works like it does in Belgium.

But thanks for the tips! I'm already excited, and its more than 9 months off! I'll be browsing/posting more now :)

Belgian dude. Yes, go ahead and follow me on twitter: @SkyOtic, or add me on XBL: SkyOtic
  • Options
    SkyOtic wrote:
    Rdr wrote:

Well, the plan would be as following: land in Boston on Thursday, and leave Boston on Monday. I already secured a hostel not that far from the Expo (about 40 minutes walking, but that's Google for you). But I'll read those links you posted, should be helpful. I guess the probelm would be that I've never been to the USA before PAX East, and think the public transport works like it does in Belgium.

But thanks for the tips! I'm already excited, and its more than 9 months off! I'll be browsing/posting more now :)

I think the International Guide will be a big help. It gets updated annually. You might also be interested in http://www.hgpaxeast.com/index.php?title=MBTA

MBTA is Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority. You'll hear people refer to it as the T.

Penny Arcade will release a lengthy list of sponsored hotels that give us a good rate and shuttle services around October. That way you don't have to walk 40 mins. You're not going to want to walk 40 mins each way to PAX, trust me.

I operate the Hitchhiker's Guide to PAX and when you have a chance just browse it and you should gain some good knowledge. It also gets updated annually.

• Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    SkyOtic wrote:

The more the merrier! Glad to know you will be making the trip!

I'm restraining myself not to write a wall of text with tips.

Go... check... the... forums... :) I think I wrote a good deal of stuff there too anyways.
    Rdr wrote:
    Penny Arcade will release a lengthy list of sponsored hotels that give us a good rate and shuttle services around October. That way you don't have to walk 40 mins. You're not going to want to walk 40 mins each way to PAX, trust me.

Ok so I did not want to say anything but now that Rdr started it, I'm going to second him 100% on that. That's unless you happen to be in tip top shape and really don't mind (unlike me).

Hotel Pro Tip #1 : Wait until the Penny-Arcade Hotel listings are released. They have very decent deals going on and if anything is like last year, some of them will have shuttle services. They tend to be released October-ish. Note that the best spots go away quickly, like... 1st hour quickly.

Hotel Pro Tip #2 : If you can't land a Penny-Arcade sponsored deal, most hotels will match rebates available from the more popular travel web sites (rule of thumb, if you can view the deal without having to log in, bid or be a club member, you will get the same price). You can also get rebates through AAA and/or under your employer's business priviliges. Many people never realize that they can get good deals just because they can prove they work for so and so. Of course, check with HR first just in case!

Hotel Pro Tip #3 : Guest Houses are awesome. They don't register themselves as hotels so they don't tend to show up on most searches when looking for lodgings, so if you want one you will need to do separate searches. They are usually family owned and their welcome desks operate within certain business hours though, meaning you won't be able to check in if you arrive too late! They make up for the little annoyances with (usually) better service and great prices. The rooms are made to be cosey and all. And yes, once you've checked and got your key you can come and leave at any time you want :)

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    Ya there is a lot of existing info on hotels and when PA releases the sponsored hotels this year we'll have tons and tons of iinfo for you and everyone else. Probably too much info. :)

• Options
    I was reading it now, some handy tips in there. But yeah, I'll wait to book anything other than my flight before October, and see what PA has to offer. I want to be as close as possible, without spending as much as my flight itself. (So, not more then €550) for 3-4 nights.

• Options
    SkyOtic wrote:
    I was reading it now, some handy tips in there. But yeah, I'll wait to book anything other than my flight before October, and see what PA has to offer. I want to be as close as possible, without spending as much as my flight itself. (So, not more then €550) for 3-4 nights.

Later on there will be a Hotel Room Share thread and you should definitely hit that up. There is a connected hotel called the Westin and then there are two super close hotels: Seaport and Renaissance. I converted €550 and it was roughly $900. That is WAY more than you'll be spending. Patience is key in July. Everything will be happening in late September and in October. :)

• Options
    I wanted to check Westin for rooms, but they had an error when trying to see what they had available (probably too far away from now) Seaport and the Marriot (Renaissance) could give me pricing, but it was a little too high ($219 a night?). I'll wait and see. I thought that PAX East stuff would start to pop up after Prime.

• Options
    Rdr wrote:
    SkyOtic wrote:
    I wanted to check Westin for rooms, but they had an error when trying to see what they had available (probably too far away from now) Seaport and the Marriot (Renaissance) could give me pricing, but it was a little too high ($219 a night?). I'll wait and see. I thought that PAX East stuff would start to pop up after Prime.

It's not a bug. I had the same problem (which sparked this thread) and it turns out that they reserved the rooms for this particular event. The other places will give you prices but it's possible you may not be able to actually book anything due to similar circumstances. Things may have changed since then, who knows.

If it helps, my hotel bill was about 530$ before taxes. Note that this was not a PA sponsored deal, I stayed a bit further than the event.

Google tells me that 530$ is about 388 Euros

Also, that figure includes 120$ for the three nights of valet parking, which would have been avoided if I had known how cheap the parking was at the BCEC. Do the math :)

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    SkyOtic wrote:
    I thought that PAX East stuff would start to pop up after Prime.

Prime isn't for another month. Check out the hotels late Sept/Oct. There will be a forum post about it.

• Options
    Rdr wrote:

Do eet! You should apply for East 2012. :)

Yes, I am planning on being an Angry Bird.

I winnar! Take that, Rainbow!

(*)

fffffffffuuuuuuuuuuu

Also, I'm thinking of holding off one or two more Easts before Enforcing. Who knows, though, I might totally jump the gun and join in early anyway!

On another note, that sounds like a fantastic costume idea, Fruta! I can think of a few ways in which you won't be stuck in a bubble, but it would involve a fair amount of spandex.
    MASeffect wrote:
    I'm excited that the forum is already buzzing about PaxEast. I am unable to go to Prime this year- so it's what I am looking forward to!!! RainbowTunnel, I hear you get to see a special "Enforcer Only" video :) I will be trying to secure a spot in the media room this year!

I dooooo? O: This is the first I've heard of any special enforcer movie!

• Options
    ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    I'll be reserving my hotel the second they're up (or as close to it as humanly possible) because I'll be staying at the attached hotel again come hell or high water!

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • Options
    Chorazin wrote:
    I'll be reserving my hotel the second they're up (or as close to it as humanly possible) because I'll be staying at the attached hotel again come hell or high water!

Same. Next PAX I want to be one of those weirdo Canadians that will be serving free Tim Hortons out from his hotel room. America needs more Hortons.

Quantities may be very limited.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    Frugus wrote:
    Chorazin wrote:

Same. Next PAX I want to be one of those weirdo Canadians that will be serving free Tim Hortons out from his hotel room. America needs more Hortons.

Quantities may be very limited.
    I will make extensive use of your services if you have Iced Caps. Extensive. I actually hear Timmies are slowly creeping into America via Buffalo and a few in NY.

Also to be one of the cool kids I decided to change my avatar too. Sadly my days as The General are no more. :(