As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[True Blood]...what is going on?

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    I understand what they threw on sarah newlan's shoulders warcrime wise, but this entire season felt limp with how they treated her, and I just kind of go 'i dont care enough about this character and it just feels unnecessarily cruel to do this to her for an ending'

Even
    her bargaining to be turned, was meant to show her as a weasel, I just saw her begging for some sort of out with no options.

Also, I guess they tried to do master trolling with bill
    bill felt 'warm' and then sookie read his mind, I thought last second they would find out he was turning into a human. Thought his tears would be clear on the picture, they looked watery. but nope, lolsplosion instead.

Also, this is the most blatant awesome fanservice, but I'll allow it.

edit: With sookie, I don't think anyone actually gives a shit
    if she keeps her powers or not. with the credits about to roll, it doesn't fucking matter and its not an important choice

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Yeah, that was a disgusting display of an "ending". If someone watched that and I told them about the fantasy shit that happened in seasons 1-3, they wouldn't believe me.

It was worse than we've ever could have imagined.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    what. the. fuck.

this is a show that i go into with terribly low expectations and i'm still disappointed.

i'm not even sure how to make that make sense to myself.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    Better than Dexters ending. That's about all I can think right now.

Fantastic
  • Options
    Unlucky wrote: »

Which again.

is like saying

well no there's no analogy. it's actually the only thing that can be said.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnluckyUnlucky That's not meant to happen Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Really, the outro and hell, entire episode said to me:
    Fuck Vampires, I get the life I want. - Sookie

Also, same thing with Hoyt. ;)

Unlucky on
    Fantastic
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Not to repeat myself from last week, but... What the fuck did I just watch? Eric head boppin was the only good bit in the whole damn show! I kept looking at how much time was left so that I could be done....

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    Yeah that was pretty bad.

• Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Just got home from a long night of work and I'm about to throw the finale on. Luckily, Ray Donovan is also on the DVR, so if this is as bad as you guys seem to think, I'll have something on hand to wash it away. Wish me luck.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Just got home from a long night of work and I'm about to throw the finale on. Luckily, Ray Donovan is also on the DVR, so if this is as bad as you guys seem to think, I'll have something on hand to wash it away. Wish me luck.

I mean, it's not a crime against television. It's just kind of there.

True Blood has never been great, and hasn't been good for a few seasons. Really the entire last season just felt like they were out of ideas but still had people under contract.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    My friend made the joke (dexter spoiler too)
    not only did they dexter the ending, he was the guy in the finale, he met up with sookie in the end. thats how terrible it was. mind reading dark passengers.
    which I thought was hilarious.

Also the child actors, did a great job of acting exactly like the adult versions. even if they werent acting all that great or responding correctly to the scene.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »

I mean, it's not a crime against television. It's just kind of there.

True Blood has never been great, and hasn't been good for a few seasons. Really the entire last season just felt like they were out of ideas but still had people under contract.

That about sums it up I guess. As far as finales go, I'm not sure I've ever seen one quite so dull before. Not a ton of complaints about what happened, had I been reading a synopsis, but as an hour long episode, it was pretty boring.

• Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    As far as "happy" endings go, this could've been way worse.
    I was 100% expecting fully human Bill to emerge from the coffin the next day. At least this ending didn't follow that cliche-laden path.

My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I do find it interesting that they chose to use Stephen Moyer's real daughter to play young Sookie.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Heartlash wrote: »
    As far as "happy" endings go, this could've been way worse.
    I was 100% expecting fully human Bill to emerge from the coffin the next day. At least this ending didn't follow that cliche-laden path.
    yeah I was impressed that they went through with killing Bill off. They hinted that it was turning him human with the whole "you're warm" and mind reading thing and I was like noooooooooo.

I don't feel like anyone got a truly satisfying ending though. Would have much rather had a completely batshit crazy final season than a bland one.

• Options
    DelmainDelmain Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »
    I do find it interesting that they chose to use Stephen Moyer's real daughter to play young Sookie.

That explains why she was cast at all.

She doesn't look anything like Paquin at all.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    To me, probably the most amusing thing about this series finale was that the writers seemed to be thumbing their nose at people who thought their random time lapse in the season 6 finale was stupid. Since after Bill died they did like 4 of them. It was like a year later, thanksgiving that year, 4 years later, etc. I was like wtf how many time periods are we going through? =P

• Options
    TraceTrace GNU Terry Pratchett; GNU Gus; GNU Carrie Fisher; GNU Adam We Registered User regular
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    To me, probably the most amusing thing about this series finale was that the writers seemed to be thumbing their nose at people who thought their random time lapse in the season 6 finale was stupid. Since after Bill died they did like 4 of them. It was like a year later, thanksgiving that year, 4 years later, etc. I was like wtf how many time periods are we going through? =P

in the year 2525

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Trace wrote: »
    Joshmvii wrote: »

in the year 2525

Eric Northman still has that car...

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    This was shit. Pure Shit. Tara got killed ofscreen before credits in the first episode.
    Lafayette spends the entire season with Lettie Mae to find out Tara's last message only to find out that its "Sorry". The Hep V vamps went nowhere. The Vigilante Humans went nowhere. Alcide died as an afterthought. Bill's death drag on for far to long. Jessica and Jason story line was basically the match game to have them get "happy endings". Sookie had no real story line other then watching Bill die.

Eric and Pam had way to little screen time being awesome. However Sarah Newlin spends the rest of her life being chained up and raped. Which is fucked up.

To wash the mouth of this failure out of our mouths. Lets remember the best moment in True Blood(and vampire history in the last 10 years).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKn7hhgLPes

The only fucking honest to goodness great bad-ass vampire moment in the entire series.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Unlucky wrote: »

Which again.

is like saying

well no there's no analogy. it's actually the only thing that can be said.

Reminder that Dexter's finale was so bad that not even 48 hours after it was over, the mod basically said "fuck it, openly talk about how terrible that final episode and especially final scene was un-tagged, nobody who hasn't seen it will care after finding out"

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    Yeah, this whole season has been pretty disappointing. I guess the ending was "satisfying" since it pretty much wrapped up all the loose ends.
    Like a lot of people, I assumed that Sookie's light ball was going to turn Bill human and the two of them were going to live happily ever after as normal people. I'm glad they didn't go that route, but having him force her to kill him was stupid for drama's sake. When you have a character with incredibly rapidly declining health, who could also easily kill himself by opening a door, making the woman he loved bath in his goo-splosion was unnecessary. I'm fine with never seeing the face of the theoretically normal guy she settled down with.

I guess I'm fine with the way everyone ended up settling down. Eric and Pam were fantastic as always. Eric cruising around with a backseat full of Yakuza parts was probably the highlight of the entire season (which is telling). The fact that they killed all of them so easily in this episode instead of back in France, or even when Pam was on the table, only detracts from it a little if I let myself think about it for more than a few seconds. Jason ended up with a woman (regardless of how terrible the circumstances were that they used to force her into the plot) that supposedly finally wanted him for something besides his superficial looks and charm. Lafayette seemed happy for the first time since he was with Jesus. Arlene had her "you should let yourself be happy" moment with ghost-Terry and then fell for a vampire. Whatever. It's kinda weird that Andy's daughter and Holly's son still seemed to be together. But again, whatever.

My biggest problem was probably the easiest to fix. The whole Jessica & Hoyt thing was just idiotic and the entire mess would have been easily solved by them just having Jessica un-glamor him. Having them get married literally 2 days after they meet (at least from his perspective), and then having Hoyt and Jason seemingly just pick up where they left off (aside from the stupid "we rented that movie together" bit), was just way too forced. Having a scene where Jessica asked Hoyt to decide if he want her to restore all the memories of them, both good and bad, then having him lay Jason out and when he comes to he asked him to be his best man could have been a decent scene. At the very least it would have made everything else about that story arch much more natural.

It's not the ending I wanted, but it's also not an ending that leaves me angry with the show as a whole. So I guess that's a plus. When I think about this show, I'll remember how much I loved Eric & Pam, and Jason, and Lafayette, and Andy, and Russell (and probably how much I hated Tara and Sam). For the most part, it's been a fun ride. I'm good with that.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Pros:
    -Eric and Pam finally remembering they're ultra strong and fast vampires and curb-stomping the shit out of the Yakuza in all of 5 minutes.
    -Eric grooving to the music in a car full of Yakuza parts.
    -Eric and Pam as rich television personalities.
    (Wow, lot of Eric and Pam there)
    -Actually killing Bill and keeping him dead.

Cons:
    -Eh, pretty much everything else.

I wouldn't say this was quite as egregious as Dexter's finale. That one actively annoyed and angered me. This one was much more of a shrug. Part of it may be that I thought more highly of Dexter in its prime than True Blood, which I never thought was "great" (though hugely entertaining when it worked), so Dexter seemed like a steeper drop.

• Options
    I just. It didn't even feel like a finale

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain TragedyCaptain Tragedy Registered User regular
    Big events occurred that made in seem like a finale, but in between those events it was really slack and blah, and in no way justified the extra 10 minutes.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Watching Sarah Newlin losing it really made the finale for me.

Everything else was largely soap operatic garbage.

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    On the plus side, now that True Blood is done, maybe Alan Ball and Ryan Murphy can collaborate to create a new horror TV series that explores new depths of insane shittiness.

Denis O'Hare will be in it.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    This Masquerade violation should have been punished with the final death long ago.

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    To be fair I did like the Lilith season. Political vampire scenario was pretty interesting. Far more interesting than "whether or not Sookie gets a happy ending with Bill" - The Season.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Options
    JuliusJulius Captain of Serenity on my shipRegistered User regular
    edited August 2014
    God. Finally I am free.

Edit: I mean, you guys do realize that this whole thing about Bill was actually just a metaphor for the show, right? The viewers are Sookie and the show is Bill and it's basically Bill (the show) telling Sookie (the viewers) that he doesn't want us to suffer more melodrama and nonsensical bullshit and he is quitting so that we can put this show behind us and have a better life.

Julius on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    I think, think, they may have not known it was going to be the final season until about halfway through shooting and just had to say fuck it, and try to make the best of it (Bill should have stayed dead after the Lilith season).

Did Lettie Mae even show up after the stupid ghost episode?
    Tara should have shown up in some form, as an adult for the finale. It's pretty bullshit for them to do that to the actor, even if the character wasn't great for most of the show, she deserved in an appearance. They even brought back the dead grandma again.
    I was grossed out by the Sarah Newlin thing. You're kind of proving her point, that maybe vampires should be wiped out.
    No Lafayette until the end? Lafayette should have been dressing Jessica.

Eric and Pam were great, though.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    feelings on finale

I loved it, because I watched it on HBO go and faster forwarded past all the bad parts. It was 20 minutes long
    Good stuff
    -Eric!
    -Pam!
    -Head banging
    -Eric+Pam billionaires
    -Sarah Newlin's hallucination
    -Bill dead

Things I'm okay with
    The end ending, Sookie moving on from crazy supernaturals
    Jason has like 500 kids, a brief "jason's daughters psychically communicate" would have been fun
    Jessica and Hoyt ending up together******ADDENDUM IN BELOW SPOILER*****
    Sarah getting tortured forever. It wasn't unnecessarily cruel, the woman was the architect of genocide that left who knows how many humans and vampires killed, entire towns wiped out

Things that sucked: everything else
    The way Hoyt and Jess ended up together, good lord that was rushed, and there was no fucking need to rush it, you threw a fucking timeskip in there anyway! Just put their wedding ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE FUCKING TIMESKIP, we don't need to see the whole thing either, make it part of the fucking montage

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Like the final season and especially ending of Dexter, people will try to defend the last season and especially final 2 episodes of True Blood

And I can't sympathize with or understand either

Dexter's was worse. Far, far worse.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2014
    yeah True Blood's ending actually ended in an okay place, it was a clumsy sometimes boring journey in those last two hours, but it wasn't a Dexter or BSG* or Lost

*BSG being more like mass effect 3 where you're on the edge of your seat and the final 1% ruins it

override367 on
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    This was shit. Pure Shit. Tara got killed ofscreen before credits in the first episode.
    Lafayette spends the entire season with Lettie Mae to find out Tara's last message only to find out that its "Sorry". The Hep V vamps went nowhere. The Vigilante Humans went nowhere. Alcide died as an afterthought. Bill's death drag on for far to long. Jessica and Jason story line was basically the match game to have them get "happy endings". Sookie had no real story line other then watching Bill die.

Eric and Pam had way to little screen time being awesome. However Sarah Newlin spends the rest of her life being chained up and raped. Which is fucked up.

To wash the mouth of this failure out of our mouths. Lets remember the best moment in True Blood(and vampire history in the last 10 years).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKn7hhgLPes

The only fucking honest to goodness great bad-ass vampire moment in the entire series.

Eric was my favorite when he did this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkAV9lbyPZs

I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Most of that was okay, I thought, or at least no worse than I expected. Eric and Pam had some good moments and Bill actually died. The timeskips were, by and large, fucking terrible. I don't care at all about seeing Sookie's husband. Sarah Newlin's plot worked pretty well up until that last gratuitous scene. Tara's absence was perfectly understandable but ignoring Lafayette was a crime. All the pairing up was dumb but at least it didn't leave even dumber plot threads unresolved.

P.S. Lettie Mae needed to die.

• Options
    To be fair I did like the Lilith season. Political vampire scenario was pretty interesting. Far more interesting than "whether or not Sookie gets a happy ending with Bill" - The Season.

That was the closest they got to a Vampire: The Masquerade type storyline.

• Options
    WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Oh thank god Teen Wolf was on tonight!

• Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular

This is one thing the books did right. The vampire political system is very Vampire the Masquerade. I wish the show would have used it, instead of the stupid Queen and council we did get, because it was one of the few things the books did better. It made more sense on how the vampires controlled rogue vampires and kept themselves under control and out of the public eye for so long.

• Options
    Invisible wrote: »

This is one thing the books did right. The vampire political system is very Vampire the Masquerade. I wish the show would have used it, instead of the stupid Queen and council we did get, because it was one of the few things the books did better. It made more sense on how the vampires controlled rogue vampires and kept themselves under control and out of the public eye for so long.

And I liked how the Authority wasn't made up of the most powerful vampires in the world. I really wanted to learn how they were able to become so influential and keep the more powerful vampires in line. And they just completely dropped the ball there.