As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Free MMO Überlist]

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    City of Heroes might also apply- Virtue is the unofficial RP server and it has a population large enough to doubtlessly have good RPers in the mix (along with the usual plethora of bad ones). Just shy away from any supergroup that has MRP in its description. :P

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Age of Conan on the Wiccana server.

Multiple RP dedicated guilds, several organized weekly events, and just random RPing.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Ooh, ooh. EQ2X. EQ2 has always had a thriving RP community and I don't think the free server is any different.
    Just search the guilds for RP ones. Keep in mind they need to have recruiters online to show up on the list, so if you don't see any you like try it a bit later.

Glal on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Upcoming Titles:

Star Trek: Infinite Space
    A casual Star Trek game set during the Deep Space 9 TV series. You get to zoom around in your own space ship as either Klingon or Federation.

Otherland
    Play a character in Tad Williams' Otherland universe. You get to dick around in different worlds ranging from medieval to sci-fi.

*e: And you can actually play this one:

Iron Grip: Marauders
    In-browser 3D turn based strategy game where you take on the role of an air pirate out to plunder the rich countryside of a continent divided by war between two factions.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Actually, sifting through Steam there's a lot more out.

CrimeCraft
    Persistent World Next-generation Shooter dubbed "PWNS" by the developer. OK, funny leetspeak joke I guess. Basically shoot mans, level up, unlock more ways to shoot mans. There's also PvE, which is relatively unique for a game like this.

Global Agenda
    A futuristic shooter in which you can develop your own special agent and blow up mans to unlocks stuff to kill more mans.

Champions Online
    Super hero MMO which gives free players only limited options to create their own hero. There is a lot more fun to be had if you can unlock the full character creator, but as an introduction to the game the Free characters work OK. This game allows a lot of customization in character builds, but the actual gameplay is relatively straight forward MMO fare, only you're fighting against multiple mobs nearly all the time and it's all pretty fast and action-y.

• Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote:
    Upcoming Titles:

Star Trek: Infinite Space
    A casual Star Trek game set during the Deep Space 9 TV series. You get to zoom around in your own space ship as either Klingon or Federation.

Otherland
    Play a character in Tad Williams' Otherland universe. You get to dick around in different worlds ranging from medieval to sci-fi.

*e: And you can actually play this one:

Iron Grip: Marauders
    In-browser 3D turn based strategy game where you take on the role of an air pirate out to plunder the rich countryside of a continent divided by war between two factions.

How in the hells did Gamigo manage to get the rights to make a game based on Otherland. Tad Williams is fantastic author. This confuses me.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Aldo wrote:

CrimeCraft
    Persistent World Next-generation Shooter dubbed "PWNS" by the developer. OK, funny leetspeak joke I guess. Basically shoot mans, level up, unlock more ways to shoot mans. There's also PvE, which is relatively unique for a game like this.

Global Agenda
    A futuristic shooter in which you can develop your own special agent and blow up mans to unlocks stuff to kill more mans.

Champions Online
    Super hero MMO which gives free players only limited options to create their own hero. There is a lot more fun to be had if you can unlock the full character creator, but as an introduction to the game the Free characters work OK. This game allows a lot of customization in character builds, but the actual gameplay is relatively straight forward MMO fare, only you're fighting against multiple mobs nearly all the time and it's all pretty fast and action-y.

I highly recommend Global Agenda. I've clocked slightly over 150 hours in it. It's a good time. We used to have a really awesome PA group in it, but as with most PA groups, it died out and fizzled.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    There is a big pile of games I have to try. Some because they genuinely sound awesome, others for more journalistic reasons. I think Global Agenda is on both lists.

*e: Gamigo actually has a lot of titles, ranging from bleh* to decent** to interesting***.

*Fiesta, Last Chaos
    **Loong, Shot Online
    ***Witcher Versus, Level R, Black Prophecy.

Aldo on
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I've been told that crimecraft is pretty bad. The gameplay uninteresting, and half the game's content locked off to free players. I'll probably see for myself though.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    heenato wrote:
    I've been told that crimecraft is pretty bad. The gameplay uninteresting, and half the game's content locked off to free players. I'll probably see for myself though.

Well it was a pay to play game that miserably failed right out the door and everyone hated it. Apparently as a shooter its incredibly unbalanced, and that probably carries over into the Freemium version.

• Options
    My god, are they trying to flood me?

Kultan
    A grindy MMO wherein you are a ship. For a browser game it looks stunning and there's a lot of detail in monsters and the environment. Actual gameplay is rather clunky and quests are totally uninspired.

• Options
    In a ship!

I like it.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Aldo wrote:

CrimeCraft

Global Agenda

Champions Online

I highly recommend Global Agenda. I've clocked slightly over 150 hours in it. It's a good time. We used to have a really awesome PA group in it, but as with most PA groups, it died out and fizzled.

It died out and fizzled because the game was pretty bad.

Also the irongrip game is a web based/unity engine game, that limits your actions by energy system.
    It was also really laggy so I would probably recommend avoiding, but I only did the first tutorial mission before giving up.

• Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
  • Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Sadly, now I'm in a "How bad can this REALLY be?" Mindset, and it's now downloaded. Expect to see how bad it REALLY is in a bit.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    Morkath wrote:
    Aldo wrote:

CrimeCraft

Global Agenda

Champions Online

Also the irongrip game is a web based/unity engine game, that limits your actions by energy system.
    It was also really laggy so I would probably recommend avoiding, but I only did the first tutorial mission before giving up.

Global Agenda was never that bad. It was a lot of fun when we had an Agency and were taking over parts of the map and stuff. Those battles were fun. Especially the one where we all made the exact same recon soldier and then used the decoy ability, so we had a giant army of the exact same character running across the battlefield.

The game has also gotten pretty significant amount of content since then as well.

• Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    Global Agenda suffers from being not as good as it could have been. Potentially it could have been amazing but ended up only average.

• Options
    Morkath wrote:

Can we blame part of the lag to you trying it when it first came out?

• Options
    Who-Psyd wrote:
    Global Agenda suffers from being not as good as it could have been. Potentially it could have been amazing but ended up only average.
    Ah, the Warhammer Online syndrome.

• Options
    Who-Psyd wrote:

This i can't dispute. I still think its a good game, especially for free. But yes, it had LOADS of potential that never really got realized. The devs did not seem to know what they wanted to do with the game, and sort of tried to go in 20 directions at once with it. It's still a good game, but it definitely would have been an excellent game, if it had been managed a bit better.

• Options
    Who-Psyd wrote:

This i can't dispute. I still think its a good game, especially for free. But yes, it had LOADS of potential that never really got realized. The devs did not seem to know what they wanted to do with the game, and sort of tried to go in 20 directions at once with it. It's still a good game, but it definitely would have been an excellent game, if it had been managed a bit better.

Like Age of Conan.

Steam
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Aldo wrote:
    Morkath wrote:

Can we blame part of the lag to you trying it when it first came out?

I tried it yesterday, it had been out for at least a couple days by then. But I guess that could still be new enough?

e:
    You can enjoy Global Agenda all you want, but the fact the community died so quickly for it, and that it was paid and went free shows pretty well how bad of a game it was. Most of the game modes were terrible, and at launch they forced you to play them at random. The weapons were pretty imbalanced, and they even managed to nessectiate the holy trinity in an FPS.
    And their "new" PvE content was garbage, it used the same cheating AI it did in the missions, that never misses and always knows where you are.

Morkath on
  • Options
    Morkath wrote:
    You can enjoy Global Agenda all you want, but the fact the community died so quickly for it, and that it was paid and went free shows pretty well how bad of a game it was.

I think you are in the wrong thread if you think that going from Pay to Free shows how "bad of a game it was."

Also, just because you can't avoid drone fire in PVE doesn't mean that other people can't. I have no trouble not being hit by the PVE drones.

Steam
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    MyDcmbr wrote:
    I think you are in the wrong thread if you think that going from Pay to Free shows how "bad of a game it was."
    Yes you are. Or at least: it depends on the kind of change to "free" they're going for. There's a few cases of games going "free" on the premise that "we paid for the servers now anyway". A few days ago I reported on the death Shadowbane. Now there's an example of a game that became F2P without much thought behind it. The same can be said of Fury and The Chronicles of Spellborn. Both games weren't actively bad and they were certainly a few ranks above such marvels of digital vomit like Furcadia, FlyFF and Seal Online, but they jumped in the "free" market without a clue.*

This one is on Steam and seems like they got a clear business plan on how they're going to [1] improve the game and [2] make profit.

*I also suspect the change to F2P was made without any budget. I think the developer was told they were no longer profitable for the publisher and their last chance would be to re-release the game for free.

Aldo on
  • Options
    Games go from fee based to microtransaction based because they are hemmoragging users or their population has stalled at too low of a level, which is indicative of a bad game (or an old one that people are moving on from, but GA doesn't fit this instance). They don't just suddenly decide they are going to make more money by ditching the fee.
    You are free to enjoy the game, but just because you do does not make it a good game. There are plently of games that I enjoy playing, but I still realize they are bad games and not recommend them to others.

Global Agenda had a tacked on at the last minute fee and was quickly hemoragging users. They then cut the monthly fee and were still losing players. They have since added microtransactions and probably made enough to keep the servers afloat. The game has had a lot of improvements and it is not as bad as when it first launched. But it is still not that good.

• Options
    Well actually yes yes they do, because that is what happens in certain cases. LOTRO and DDO, DDO went FTP and saved itself from terminationand is now hugely successful, LOTRO went FTP to make more money.

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Morkath wrote:
    Games go from fee based to microtransaction based because they are hemmoragging users or their population has stalled at too low of a level, which is indicative of a bad game (or an old one that people are moving on from, but GA doesn't fit this instance). They don't just suddenly decide they are going to make more money by ditching the fee.
    You are free to enjoy the game, but just because you do does not make it a good game. There are plently of games that I enjoy playing, but I still realize they are bad games and not recommend them to others.

Global Agenda had a tacked on at the last minute fee and was quickly hemoragging users. They then cut the monthly fee and were still losing players. They have since added microtransactions and probably made enough to keep the servers afloat. The game has had a lot of improvements and it is not as bad as when it first launched. But it is still not that good.

This isn't always true these days. LOTRO went F2P not because it was doing poorly but because they saw how much more money it could net them after they made tons of cash on the DDO change.

I don't know much about it but the word on the street is that CoX was pretty stable in it's subscriber base and did it more to monetize the game as opposed to "omg doooooom".

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Entaru wrote:
    Morkath wrote:

This isn't always true these days. LOTRO went F2P not because it was doing poorly but because they saw how much more money it could net them after they made tons of cash on the DDO change.

I don't know much about it but the word on the street is that CoX was pretty stable in it's subscriber base and did it more to monetize the game as opposed to "omg doooooom".

All 3 of those games would fall under the "old one that the player base moving on from/stagnating", category.
    LOTRO likely went microtransaction because they had already paid for their servers, and had a small enough user base they would get more money that way, while also providing a player boost to keep their paying players around more. I haven't played it though, but I heard it was a decent game.

• Options
    Morkath wrote:
    Entaru wrote:
    Morkath wrote:

All 3 of those games would fall under the "old one that the player base moving on from/stagnating", category.
    LOTRO likely went microtransaction because they had already paid for their servers, and had a small enough user base they would get more money that way, while also providing a player boost to keep their paying players around more. I haven't played it though, but I heard it was a decent game.
    LOTRO and DDO are younger than WoW, actually.

And LOTRO is pretty much the best game on my list.

• Options
    WoW is also an insane success, that would be hole in head stupid to remove their monthly fee. LOTRO and DDO are obviously much lesser successes. In MMO terms, as not being break out hits, are considered "old".

Again this does not mean they are bad, I still enjoyed the shit out of CoH/V, but the game is old now.

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote:
    Upcoming Titles:
    Otherland

8-> 8-> 8->

Don't know how well this game will turn out, or if it'll actually come out. But Otherland is pretty damn awesome.

• Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    Regarding Global Agenda, I'll say this as a player. Maybe it wasn't a good enough game to support a paid model, but it's doing very well in its current form.

Also, I and others enjoy it, so clearly all the bickering over it being/not being a "good" game is subjective silly goosery, and a waste of time.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Aldo wrote:
    MyDcmbr wrote:
    Yes you are. Or at least: it depends on the kind of change to "free" they're going for. There's a few cases of games going "free" on the premise that "we paid for the servers now anyway". A few days ago I reported on the death Shadowbane. Now there's an example of a game that became F2P without much thought behind it. The same can be said of Fury and The Chronicles of Spellborn. Both games weren't actively bad and they were certainly a few ranks above such marvels of digital vomit like Furcadia, FlyFF and Seal Online, but they jumped in the "free" market without a clue.*

This one is on Steam and seems like they got a clear business plan on how they're going to [1] improve the game and [2] make profit.

*I also suspect the change to F2P was made without any budget. I think the developer was told they were no longer profitable for the publisher and their last chance would be to re-release the game for free.

the reason GA went free was because originally the game WAS free to play (with a pay once for the software) type of thing. They never had a subscription. All they did was remove the pay once barrier, and add a cash shop and an optional "pay once for premium" feature, and lowered the price of said premium payment. Basically they made the smart decision of having an unlimited trial with very little drawbacks, which allowed a lot more people to try the game. The dedicated players are then willing to front some cash for the premium, and maybe a few cash shop tinkets (all of which are convenience items.).

Morkath is making it out to be something it wasnt. I remember playing with you in the game Morkath, you made it to like...level 10, on one character and barely played at all. The game was never for you. I made to to level 35+ on every class available in the game.

The game may not be perfect, but it definitely wasnt a failure or terrible in any sense of the word. It just wasn't something you personally liked. Because you didn't like it, does not mean the game was a failure. It's still going, and stronger than ever, with tons more content than it had back when you played it on release. And at least the game devs had the guts to attempt to do something new, other than just clone WoW like every other MMO dev out there does.

Elimination on
  • Options
    Aldo wrote:
    MyDcmbr wrote:

the reason GA went free was because originally the game WAS free to play (with a pay once for the software) type of thing. They never had a subscription. All they did was remove the pay once barrier, and add a cash shop and an optional "pay once for premium" feature, and lowered the price of said premium payment. Basically they made the smart decision of having an unlimited trial with very little drawbacks, which allowed a lot more people to try the game. The dedicated players are then willing to front some cash for the premium, and maybe a few cash shop tinkets (all of which are convenience items.).

Morkath is making it out to be something it wasnt. I remember playing with you in the game Morkath, you made it to like...level 10, on one character and barely played at all. The game was never for you. I made to to level 35+ on every class available in the game.

The game may not be perfect, but it definitely wasnt a failure or terrible in any sense of the word. It just wasn't something you personally liked. Because you didn't like it, does not mean the game was a failure. It's still going, and stronger than ever, with tons more content than it had back when you played it on release. And at least the game devs had the guts to attempt to do something new, other than just clone WoW like every other MMO dev out there does.

Wow this post is just full of disinformation.

The game had a subscription for the Guild vs Guild type battles, which they then removed because not enough people were paying for it.

I played it in the beta for the entire time it was available, and then for a month or two after release until I got tired of being forced to play all of the stupid game modes I hated.
    I had an assault who was around level 30.
    A recon who was 25
    The roboticist and medic I never got over 20.

So I don't know who the hell you are confusing me for, but please don't make up random bullshit to try to weaken my point.

Also just because devs have the "guts" to try something "different", doesn't make it good. Plus it wasn't exactly ground breaking, it's tribes without the tribes license. It's not even an MMO, or at least wasn't. I guess you might be able to claim it was now due to the overworld combat.

• Options
    ANYWAY.

This sounds like a discussion that would be better in the Global Agenda thread rather than cluttering up this thread yeah?

Steam
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    They never put in the sub for guild vs guild. It was free for the first month, than after that month they put in a vote that everyone got in their e-mails, asking who would pay and who wouldn't. And it was a resounding "we wont pay" so they never put that model into place. If you'd played PAST that first month, you'd have known that.

Also you were never forced to play any game modes. There has been a selection bar when you que into battle since the first 2 weeks the game was released.

As I said, just because you dont like it, doesn't mean the game was a failure. And most of your points just prove you didn't really play much, nor for very long, or only played one single game type over and over again. Every gripe you've posted has not been in the game for a long, long time now. Basing things off of experience in the Beta/The first month of release, when the games been out over a year now is really stupid. It isn't the same game it was on release. And the game is nothing like tribes, i guess they both have jet packs, but thats where the similarities end, oh and they have guns.

Really though, this discussion is going nowhere so thats the last i'll say on it. Either like it or not, thats up to whom ever. But you cant stroll in and tell everyone the game is garbage and its a failure because you personally didnt like the game during its beta and its first month of release. If its not the game for you, thats fine. But it was not a failure, and to a good chunk of people it was/still is a fun game.

Elimination on
  • Options
    Dynasty Warriors Online just a new patch with some new maps, weapons, lieutenants and gear. They also made some bug fixes (shocking!) I suppose this is as good a time as any to give the game a whirl if you wanna know just how fast-paced a MMO (lite) can get.

• Options
    Aldo wrote:
    Dynasty Warriors Online just a new patch with some new maps, weapons, lieutenants and gear. They also made some bug fixes (shocking!) I suppose this is as good a time as any to give the game a whirl if you wanna know just how fast-paced a MMO (lite) can get.
    Is Combat as boring as it looks like, constant waves of useless mobs juggled en masse?

• Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
  • Options
    Who-Psyd wrote:
    Aldo wrote:
    Is Combat as boring as it looks like, constant waves of useless mobs juggled en masse?
    Pretty much. The fun comes from fighting against other players and the challenges to juggle/kill as quickly as possible. I mean, sure it's simplistic to just nuke 500 mobs in 2 minutes, but how about you try to kill 500 mobs in 1 minute? The game throws endless challenges at you that require a lot of skill and planning to succeed. I remember one where you have endless respawning captains that won't stop unless you capture their base within n minutes from defeating them.

I stopped playing because I didn't care for developing specific tactics and practising shit. The PvP aspect is pretty confusing too. There's 3 factions that battle for territory, but with all the different game types and various match making NPCs it was all very confusing. I didn't bother to join a guild, though. That might have helped.

This discussion has been closed.