Options

[Let's Play] Metroid Other M - S14 - Always wear your helmet

• Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    heenato wrote:
    We need more content and more posts! Quick, Klyka! Make a brucie Aran avatar. That'll get some posts.

I read that as bouncy Aran avatar, and thought, "Well, Team Ninja. There you go."

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Set 05 - Walker, Space Ranger
    Don't mind me, just walking around.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Nice videos, but your sig is depressing as hell since I cannot find Ghost Trick in my area.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    The tail thing is far too entertaining.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Oh my god. That was so BORING. Good lord, could anything LESS happen that video? Who thought it was a good idea to say "Yeah. Lets have samus walk SLOWLY for 15 minutes, then you do a pixel hunt, then fight a really annoying boss.

And speaking of that boss.....that mouth. That tail. Please tell me that it's not what I'm thinking.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    heenato wrote:
    Oh my god. That was so BORING. Good lord, could anything LESS happen that video? Who thought it was a good idea to say "Yeah. Lets have samus walk SLOWLY for 15 minutes, then you do a pixel hunt, then fight a really annoying boss.

And speaking of that boss.....that mouth. That tail. Please tell me that it's not what I'm thinking.
    Bad news, pal.

Bad news.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    The slow walk doesn't even show off her ass cause she's wearing a power suit!

And Heenato, you are in for a SURPRISEEEEEEEEEE.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Haha, nothing like a bullshit death out of nowhere to finish the set.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    My God, that was... awful. And people still defend this game on its gameplay merits? Other M just doesn't trust its players at all, does it?

I mean, I think the whole point of the walking section was to wander through decayed corridors and see all the evidence of sudden violence and violent disappearance. And to make sure people had all the time to see it, they just took away the player's ability to run. Personally, I think that the kind of player who cares about atmosphere will slow down on their own to soak in all the subtle and not-so-subtle details. Apparently, Other M doesn't share my high opinion of gamers.

And, oh, hey, Samus finally shows emotion. Well, her body language shows emotion when she slams the desk, but her voice doesn't. So Adam states that bioweapon research is illegal and nobody thinks it worth mentioning that this is an official Galactic Federation base? Nobody is shown being just the teensiest bit bothered that their government is up to its neck in some shady business? I guess Samus thinking about how Adam thinks bioweapons are wrong is more important than taking this handy opportunity to flesh out the rest of the cast a bit.

Also, Adam proves to be lousy commander once again. In an entire empty sector, he doesn't let soldiers fight the only threat that's actually there. I mean, OK, pulling a guy back to continue scouting I understand, but pulling all of them out of the sudden combat situation? They're soldiers. I thought they were trained for, you know, fighting the enemy. Apparently not.

And, oh God, that mini-boss fight. That was just... It reminded me of the Ridley freefall fight from Prime 3, except that that fight was actually exciting and this fight was goddamned terrible.

And finally, at long last, we have a sudden quick-time event. Because what Metroid really needs is quick-time events.

Is there any part of this game that doesn't suck?

• Options
    Hah, be honest, you loved it! Watching me slowly creep through those hallways.

Slowly.

SLOOOOOWWWWWLLLYYYYYY.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Klyka wrote:
    Hah, be honest, you loved it! Watching me slowly creep through those hallways.

Sadly, whatever enjoyment I might have gleaned from your suffering was utterly crushed by the insult that is Other M.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    I still really like the game, cause when it doesn't throw these stupids sections at you, it is great to play! Dodging lasers, shooting your missiles, the lethal strikes, it just feels GOOD.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I still think from what I have watched that the game looks poorly designed and not very fun gameplay wise (especially when it repeats certain minibosses a lot) - Especially when I can tell you are NOT terrible at the game. So it isn't just someone who can't play it making it look bad, it just doesn't look fun at all to me - especially when it pulls out bullshit sections like that last video. Did these idiots not play the opening level Metroid Prime at all? That's how you accomplish the same thing, but not in a really awful and terrible way. The incredibly bad story is just a big pile of poop icing on an already terrible cake.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Does the gameplay really look that bad? Maybe I do suck :(

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Klyka wrote:
    Does the gameplay really look that bad? Maybe I do suck :(

Well... you only got killed during that lame bossfight and that bullshit move at the end, so I'm gonna assume you're at least competent at the game.

Unfortunately, you being competent at the game doesn't make the game competent.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I still think the game looks pretty and stuff like the lava shark in the background was a nice visual touch.

Until, you know, that was supposed to be foreshadowing to a Sierra-esque death.

• Options
    The cool thing is that, like I said in the video, I knew the fish would come up and I pressed the dpad to dodge but it went NOPE and I died. So dumb :(

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Klyka wrote:
    The slow walk doesn't even show off her ass cause she's wearing a power suit!

And Heenato, you are in for a SURPRISEEEEEEEEEE.

WAIT JUST A FUCKING MINUTE!

FOR REALS, KLYKA?! FOR REALS?!

200px-TableFlip.JPG

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    Latest entry needs a subtitle:

Walker, Space Ranger
    (Roundhouse kicks not authorized)

• Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Yeah, that whole entire part is such bullshit. All the slow walking is to build "tension" yet there's nothing to look at. The "computer expert" and "hacker" being separate people. Not authorizing the soldiers to fight enemies. "Pile of rags" = "Lying down".

And those cyborg enemies Samus called "Zebesians" are Space Pirates. According to this game, they're FROM Zebes instead of just setting up shop there, like every other game implied. Storytelling!

That boss fight is the worst. Why yes, having to target a tiny, fast moving target with missiles that take a second to lock on, using an awkward control scheme, and can STILL miss is a great idea! ... And it took like a dozen shots to beat the thing. What would the game do if you happened to go into that fight with fewer than the required number of missiles? You'd be forced to die once before it restarts you with full health and missiles?

I also like how right at the end there, Adam makes another point of only authorizing equipment as things move along. Just to hammer home the point that you're in a lava world and don't have the Varia suit yet.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    CokomonCokomon Our butts are worth fighting for! Registered User regular
    Dartboy wrote:
    What would the game do if you happened to go into that fight with fewer than the required number of missiles? You'd be forced to die once before it restarts you with full health and missiles?

You can recharge the missiles mid-fight. I don't remember how, it's like shaking the wiimote or something.

post.png
    Twitter: Cokomon | dA: Cokomon | Tumblr: Cokomon-art | XBL / NNID / Steam: Cokomon
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    "It was clear the Galactic Federation was developing Bioweapons on the BOTTLE Ship." No fucking shit Samus, the goddamn revelation that was flatly spoken minutes before. How much clearer does it need to be?

Also Klyka, I loved that bullshit death toward the end of the video. :^:

• Options
    Cokomon wrote:
    Dartboy wrote:
    What would the game do if you happened to go into that fight with fewer than the required number of missiles? You'd be forced to die once before it restarts you with full health and missiles?

You can recharge the missiles mid-fight. I don't remember how, it's like shaking the wiimote or something.

You have to concentrate really....really...hard. Like taking a really painful shit.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    My God, that was... awful. And people still defend this game on its gameplay merits? Other M just doesn't trust its players at all, does it?

I mean, I think the whole point of the walking section was to wander through decayed corridors and see all the evidence of sudden violence and violent disappearance. And to make sure people had all the time to see it, they just took away the player's ability to run. Personally, I think that the kind of player who cares about atmosphere will slow down on their own to soak in all the subtle and not-so-subtle details. Apparently, Other M doesn't share my high opinion of gamers.

And, oh, hey, Samus finally shows emotion. Well, her body language shows emotion when she slams the desk, but her voice doesn't. So Adam states that bioweapon research is illegal and nobody thinks it worth mentioning that this is an official Galactic Federation base? Nobody is shown being just the teensiest bit bothered that their government is up to its neck in some shady business? I guess Samus thinking about how Adam thinks bioweapons are wrong is more important than taking this handy opportunity to flesh out the rest of the cast a bit.

Also, Adam proves to be lousy commander once again. In an entire empty sector, he doesn't let soldiers fight the only threat that's actually there. I mean, OK, pulling a guy back to continue scouting I understand, but pulling all of them out of the sudden combat situation? They're soldiers. I thought they were trained for, you know, fighting the enemy. Apparently not.

And, oh God, that mini-boss fight. That was just... It reminded me of the Ridley freefall fight from Prime 3, except that that fight was actually exciting and this fight was goddamned terrible.

And finally, at long last, we have a sudden quick-time event. Because what Metroid really needs is quick-time events.

Is there any part of this game that doesn't suck?

In addition, it cements Adam as a sissy.

"Oh, boohoo. I'm Adam. I'm a wuss who won't let the Federation build deadly superweapons because they're wrong."

You know what Fleet Admiral Castor Dane was doing a couple years back?

He was weaponizing pure evil. And you know what happened? Nothing bad! What I'm saying is, Metroid Prime was great, and the Federation's mad science division is a lot more competent than one would think.

• Options
    I don't think Adam authorized all these negative opinions!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular

I didn't watch the video, but how many times did he die during that part? Because I died a lot.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

I didn't watch the video, but how many times did he die during that part? Because I died a lot.

Just once.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Sadly, only once.

I just found it hilarious how shooting a missile in its eye isn't enough to make it hurt, but shooting a missile to its tail makes it hurt a lot.

Then it just devolves into a game of 'whack-a-mole' and the speed the tail is moving at is down right comical. I can just imagine it saying 'I'm here! No I'm here! Just kidding I'm over here!'.

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Since you're obviously powerless to resist its nom-nomming on your face, it's a wonder it bothers with the tail at all.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    well, the good news is, from here on the game is pretty great and there won't be any bullshit video sequences for a while!

• Options
    Yep! Lots of gameplay for now and then the MOTHER OF ALL CUTSCENES!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Klyka wrote:

It's gonna be that scene where Samus suddenly turns into Empowered, isn't it?

• Options
  • Options
    Klyka wrote:

It's gonna be that scene where Samus suddenly turns into Empowered, isn't it?

It's gonna be that scene where I will put a disclaimer in front that says "Warning: The following scene may not be suitable for viewers who enjoy the character Samus Aran".

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    This bit and the bit right after were what stopped me from playing.
    If the LP shows it getting better, I might go back and grit my teeth to get through it.
    As for the story, who translated this?
    I think the same story could be rewritten to at least sound good (blatant logic problems notwithstanding), but this feels like someone translated it without caring how it read afterwards. Maybe some of this used to sound natural at first, then got All Your Based.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    klemming wrote:
    I think the same story could be rewritten to at least sound good (blatant logic problems notwithstanding), but this feels like someone translated it without caring how it read afterwards. Maybe some of this used to sound natural at first, then got All Your Based.

I don't have a link handy, but I've heard that the localization effort was hampered by Sakamoto. Apparently, he wanted the translation to be as literal as possible, without understanding that there's a huge cultural divide between Japan and the West and that certain phrases that make sense in Japanese don't work in English at all (or don't exactly convey the same meaning).

• Options
    "I look at my hand to see if there's any Baby left on me."

• Options

LOOKING FOR A SIGN.

God this was written so poorly.

• Options
    Henroid wrote:

LOOKING FOR A SIGN.

God this was written so poorly.

And all that after a guy told her he gave her "suit" a good "polish".

*winky*

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    babymetroidseverywhere.jpg

The scene before me was overwhelming. The Federation was harboring the BSL's program to grow metroids. Baby metroids. So many of them were before me now, bringing memories of The Baby™ to mind. There was a difference in their reaction to the sight of me now, though. With The Baby's™ DNA within me, thanks to the vaccine, I was now closer to each of these metroids than I'd ever been. Baby metroids. In a sense, I was a mother to them. Even though I was so childish in the past. The past, before The Baby came into my life. Back when Adam Adam Adam Baby Thumbs Down Adam Baby blahblah