As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Poké] The Last Sane Pokémon

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    enki.png

• Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    MarshGM2.png That's a good Enki, Sque.

MarshGM.png Daryl and Rook approach the nearest stall, a tiny number run by a like-wise diminutive Grass type. Several shallow metal pots bubble and steam over very carefully controlled flames, and the air is sweet and spicy smelling around the tiny shop.

BudewChef.png Greetings, travelers! Can I interest you in a bowl of hot, nourishing noodles? Only 7 Poké a bowl, for you, or 12 for the daily Specials,

MarshGM3.png He gestures at the Scrawled menu by his side.

BudewChef-1.pngFileBag_Payapa_Berry_Sprite.png or FileBag_Figy_Berry_Sprite.png Soup!

• Options
    squallsprite.gif He approaches with a skeptical look on his face, muttering quietly to Daryl.

AZZQR.gif Tch, didn't we see another stand back thataway charging 5p?

AZZQR.gif Hey there my germinal friend, how's about a bulk deal? Two bowls for 10p?

• Options
    MarshGM2.png The Budew's congenial smile drops a combat stage as the Tyrogue whispers to his pal and makes a counteroffer.

BudewIhateCustomers.png Two for 12, and you won't find a better deal today.

MarshGM.png The Cacnea takes off, stopping every couple feet to let the Slowpoke catch up.

Cacnea.png Outfit always looking for reliable muscle. Good opportunities, good pay. Make a big Pokemon of you, part of growing enterprise, give you self-respect.

MarshGM.png Eventually reaching a well-appointed brick building nestled against the hill, Cacnea gives a significant look to a Murkrow perched nonchalantly near the entrance. Returning the glance with a raised eyebrow, and then a shrug, the Murkrow shifts his wing toward the back of the building and the Cacnea shuffles off again, Enki in tow.

MarshGM2.png Behind the building is a short "alley" between the back wall and the hill, the Cacnea ignores the door, and instead pushes past some water-stained stacked crates to reveal a cave entrance.

Cacnea.png We go, see Cacturne.

• Options
    Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    r4EkW.png Enki looks around, shrugs, and nods. "Lead, Sphere Type."

Shock G on
  • Options
    MarshGM.png The Cacnea nods and pushes inside. Following, Enki finds the interior opens up in a decently-sized cave, dimly lit by some sort of glowing fungus that has been cultivated in spots along the wall. Cacnea is already talking to a Nuzleaf, a pair of Seedot standing nearby and listening intently. While he watches, the Cacnea points to him, and the Nuzleaf peers over, its expression neutral, before turning back to the small Cactusmon. Eventually Cacnea seems to win over the Nuzleaf with sheer persistence, and with a wave it sends one of the Seedot jogging down a corridor before strolling over to Enki.

Nuzleaf.png Cacnea says you're looking for work. You don't look like much, Pinkie, where you hail from?

• Options
    edited September 2011
    r4EkW.png"The Deep Wells beside the Great Forest, under the Confederacy of the Unyielding Mind." After a pause, Enki adds, "Far away, Leaf Type."

Shock G on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    squallsprite.gif A smile stretches across his face, his voice upbeat.

AZZQR.gif Sounds great to me pal! Though I do have a hankering for some spice. Throw ya an extra 10p to upgrade to specials? 20p total? I'll go with some figgy noodles, papaya unsettled my stomach something fierce. What's your fancy, Daryl?

AZZQR.gif Say bud, I imagine running a shop up here you catch wind of the city happenings. Got any gossip, maybe heard some info on the couple of job postings that way?

Squall on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Nuzleaf.png Never heard of it.

MarshGM3.png And that seems to be that, she walks off and leans against one of the cavern walls. Nearby Cacnea and the remaining Seedot chat quietly in the half-light. After a few minutes, a tall Pokemon comes walking back down the corridor, the Seedot in its wake. When it pushes into the cavern, the chatter stops immediately, and Nuzleaf hastily ceases her lean and stands at extreme attention.

Staraptor.png Cacturne... busy.

MarshGMUh.png The Staraptor says in a strange sounding accent.

Staraptor.png What you needing? Seedot say... recruit here. Where?

MarshGM2.png He's a very intimidating looking Pokemon, striking quite an imposing figure.

MarshGrr.png That means if you try to be a flippant dickass, I can and will make you roll a Daring Check to not stutter like an idiot, Shock.

MarshGM.png <Aw yeah, forcin' respect for dangerous characters with dice rolls. I'm the best GM.>

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    r4EkW.pngEnki looks at the tallthing, mouth hanging open.

Then he snaps it shut.

• Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    meowthglee.png: Aww, you guys didn't have to give us such a great discount! We'll definitely remember this the next time we look for a place to eat!

meowthpaws2.png: Yeah, the figy soup sounds great, I'm in the mood for something spicy.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    MarshGrr.png ...

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    D9awK.pngWhat?

• Options
    MarshGM.png Ahem, so the noodle-seller Budew takes the offered Poké and fetches Daryl and Rook two heaping bowls of the soup (mentioning repeat business was probably a smart idea).

BudewChef.png Here you are! Eat it up while its hot.

BudewIhateCustomers.png I hear there's been a lot of excitement up at the Hive, having parties every couple days and a lot of foreigners passing through. Reckon big things are happening behind the scenes. Everyone knows that lass, Kakuna, is going to have a hard time holding on to her throne. A lot of other Bug types have had their eye on snatching some political clout and with King Beedrill gone and an inexperienced Princess, this seems to be the time to maneuver. She's got a lot of support of course, but even so, I wouldn't want to be in her place.

BudewHrm.png I'm surprised there's still job postings on that board. No one ever bothers to do them. We haven't had an active Defender Team in Yew Town for ages. I guess just not enough happens out here to make it worthwhile. We are a pretty peaceful settlement, after all, most of our neighbors are no trouble at all, our forests are safe to roam, and the Leaf Guard keeps away the only Pokémon who'd be our enemies.

MarshGM.png The Nuzleaf quickly makes her way up to the Staraptor, carefully, and gives the short version of the story to the scowling avian Pokémon. Cacnea stays quiet in his corner of the cavern, clearly more unnerved then usual, and the Seedots keep their distance. Eventually, the Staraptor has heard his fill, and ambles over to Enki.

Staraptor.png You maybe say you join Gang, yes? You say you warrior, yes?

• Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    I think I see how this is turning out. The Legend of Kakuna: Grasswhistle of Time.

Naturally, Kaboom will be forced into the role of her champion.

• Options
    r4EkW.png"Yes."

• Options
    Staraptor.png ...

r4EkW.png ...

Staraptor.png ...

r4EkW.png ...

Staraptor.png Good enough. Get this Pokemon situated. I go.

MarshGM3.png The Staraptor struts back down the corridor, and the other assembled Pokemon let out a sigh of relief.

Nuzleaf.png ...Wow. I've never seen someone hold his stare that long before. You got guts, Slowpoke.

• Options
    r4EkW.png"Hmm? Yes. Guts. Where do I start?"

• Options
    Nuzleaf.png That'll be up to Cacturne, whenever he's... not busy. We'll get you situated, then give you a shout when we need you, probably. Things are pretty stable in Yew Town so it's not often we need a fighter to back us up. Name's Nuzleaf, by the way, I do security.

MarshGM.png She adds, offering a hand.

• Options
    r4EkW.pngEnki looks at the hand for a minute before kinda rising back on his hind legs and flopping his front hoof on there.

"Enki."

• Options
    Terrendos wrote:
    I think I see how this is turning out. The Legend of Kakuna: Grasswhistle of Time.

Naturally, Kaboom will be forced into the role of her champion.

I would be very okay with this outcome.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Nuzleaf.png Pleasure to meet ya, welcome to the Family. Ey! you two go get this Pokemon his stuff, don't keep 'im waiting.

MarshGM3.png The two Seedots scatter back down the hallway while Nuzleaf rolls her eyes. Eventually they return, bearing a pair of smoked glass eyewear and a small sack.

Nuzleaf.png 500 Poké, enough to keep you comfortable, I reckon. We'll talk about contract pay later, you can consider this a signing bonus. Now these...

MarshGM.png She continues, hefting the shades.

Nuzleaf.png ...are our token, sometimes called an "accoutrement" or "badge". You wear these glasses it means you're on Gang business, and anybody messing with you is messing with us. We don't wear 'em much in Yew Town, unless we really need to show the flag, as it were. We try and keep things on the down-low here, understand?

FileBag_BlackGlasses_Sprite.pngBlackGlasses +2: Wearing these very cool shades marks you as a member of the Family, for good or ill. When using Dark-type Tactics, you may spend up to the bonus in Voltage to increase your Attack Roll by a like amount as an immediate action. Also, adding an extra point of Damage while using a Dark-type Tactic only costs 1 Voltage instead of 2.

Faction discovered: The Gang, aka The Family, The Outfit, etc.
    Shock: +1 Voltage4.gif for moving the plot along in a satisfactory manner.

Generator: Voltage.gifVoltage3.gifVoltage2.gifVoltage.gifVoltage4.gifVoltage6.gifVoltage5.gif (7)

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    r4EkW.png"Understood." He pauses for a second. "Chief."

• Options
    squallsprite.gif He graciously accepts the meal, tearing into the spiced goodness. In between slurps he attempts to keep up the conversation.

AZZQR.gif Seems like exciting times in Yew Town then! Whole lotta bugs rubbin elbows and all. Any of the grass types able to hold favor in the political spectrum?

AZZQR.gif Can't blame em for not keeping up a defender team though, none of those postings even seemed geared towards that sorta work. Things aren't as safe as they seem on the outskirts though, I'd be careful wandering out. What do you say we look into one of those jobs, Daryl? We can check out the others later, not like they're going anywhere if and whenever we get settled.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    mysterynesssprite.png: Daryl digs into his bowl as well, spending far more time tilting the bowl of soup into his mouth than using the provided spoon.

meowthpaws2.png: Yeah, we saved Bulbasaur from a group of ferals earlier. He was surprised that it was that dangerous outside Yew!

meowthpaws2.png: I'm really curious about that modeling job, maybe we should follow up and see if someone in our little group fits what the artist is looking for.

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    Lopunny.png I see. Well we'll have to find out, won't we? Reading is fundamental. I can provide lessons if needed, I am a professional tutor.

MarshGM.png Lopunny leads the pair to... well a very small section of the room/cavern. It seems like Pokemon as a whole are a bit lacking in the concrete medical study disciplines.

Lopunny.png You should be able to find what little we have on the subject of amnesia here. My condolences on your conditions, I hope you find what you are looking for here. If you have need of aught else...

MarshGM3.png He inclines his head back towards his desk at the forefront of the room, waiting to see if any other questions or requests are forthcoming.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    BudewIhateCustomers.png Oh, here and there

MarshGM.png The Budew responds to Rook's question.

BudewIhateCustomers.png The Captain of the Leaf Guard, Breloom_PokC3A9mon.png, is a Grass type of course, Parasect_PokC3A9mon.png runs the Treasury (though he's a bit of both types, really), Torterra_PokC3A9mon.png is the Master of ceremonies, he does a fantastic job, and Sunflora_PokC3A9mon.png runs the gardens (which doesn't seem like much, but in Yew Town we take that sort of thing very seriously). Most of these are royal appointments, of course, but it's not like there's any hard feelings. Bug types have always done very well in leading Yew Town to prosperity, so it's hard to begrudge them their position.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    Nevada trots from shelf to shelf, inspecting the accumulated knowledge of generations upon generations of insects and plants.

Well. This probably shouldn't be surprising.

veejoy.png

"...right, this looks great! Thanks a lot, we should be fine from here."

She carefully edges the first helpful-looking book out of its shelf and flips it open.

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    MarshGM.png "...per se, however, are insufficient to produce such amnesia since Pokemon subjected to test followed by induced seizures initiated from the frontal cortex or from stimulation of the mesencephalic reticular formation had the same reaction as did control animals and thus presumably remembered the testing..."

MarshGM2.png Too late, Nevada realizes this book does not appear to be written in PokéScrawl.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    veesweatdrop.png

"..."

Nevada closes the book slowly and edges it back onto the shelf. She proceeds to try and find a book written by someone with a firm grasp of intelligible language.

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    squallsprite.gif The last noodle disappears into his mouth, followed by a satisfied sigh. He straightens up from his seat, coaxing Daryl to give their host a tip.

AZZQR.gif Thanks for the pristine service my friend, and we certainly appreciate the info. You'll make upright citizens of us yet!

squallsprite.gif Leaving the Budew behind, he trundles back to the job board, snatching copies of the few active postings left.

AZZQR.gif Hm I guess this is the address for the modeling gig? Think you'll be able to work the canvas, Daryl?

• Options
    edited September 2011
    meowthphew.png

mysterynesssprite.png: Happily finished with his own bowl, Daryl tips the budew what he believes is a 5 poke coin.

meowthglee.png: See you around uh...what's your name?

meowthhappypaws-1.png: Oh, I don't mind modeling if the artist wants me to. Should give him or her a choice, however.

mysterynessglee.png: They head off to the stated address. Who could it be?

Rawkking Goodguy on
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    You saw nothing.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    KaboomNormal.png: Fascinating! The idea of using an induced complex partial seizure as a means to concentrate the sympathetic nervous system and induce a multiphase memory loss, it's quite clever.

KaboomNervous.png:...

KaboomAngry.png: I'm sorry, Frost Iceman, I didn't catch that, what did you say?

• Options
    edited September 2011
    veesweatdrop.png

"Probably something intelligent. But about you- did you just understand that? Because everything in that sentence went way over my head."

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    KaboomNervous.png: Did I understand what now?

BroMiniAV.gif: The Pineco appears genuinely confused as to what Nevada is talking about.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    veesweatdrop.png

"C'mon! You literally just said something about, uh, inducing partial seizures to... something with nerves, and induce a multilayered memory loss?"

veesigh.png

"This...isn't ringing any bells, is it."

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    KaboomNormal.png: What's a 'seizure?' Is it that thing that's like relaxing when you've got free time?

KaboomCool.png: Because if that's what it is, I could sure use a seizure right now.

• Options
    edited September 2011
    Nevada lets out a sigh. This is a day full of disappointment. Well, at least the murdering fighting was kind of fun.

veesigh.png

"I don't suppose you can understand any of this stuff, then?"

Daypigeon on
  • Options
    BroMiniAV.gif: The Pineco takes a look at another of the books, this one written in PokeScrawl.

KaboomNormal.png: "Hmm... 08.png are good for heada-... headak... heada-chy- oh, headaches! 08.png are good for headaches!"

BroMiniAV.gif: He appears to be at least somewhat literate in Pokemon writing, although additional looks at the first book only make him squint and groan softly, as if willing the words to try and make sense. Eventually he grows so focused on the unintelligible words that he forgets to balance and rolls over on his side.

KaboomNormal.png: Pretty sure I can't read it.