As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steven P. Jobs Memorial [Chat]

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    To me it sounds like you'd either be A. reading something you know is bs B. reading something you're p sure is BS but you can't really say exactly why and eventually you understand it enough to say, that's why it's BS C. Reading something you agree with, which is basically just repeating stuff you've already thought through

Even if I have an inclination that Argument-X is BS, it's rationally satisfying to understand how the argument is constructed, and why it fails.

It's not about agreeing or disagreeing, it's about understanding the reasons for any given argument, and what conclusions those reasons and premises entail.

Yeah, I guess. B can be interesting. C would feel like a waste of time and A would be dreadful.

the problem there being that you have to study it aaaaaaallll and not just like, learn what you want to learn

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    @desc, i narrowly missed her but this time left a note in her box. An older lady came upstairs and asked what was up to the receptionist and I explained. She was so happy that I was there and that I offered to show the girl around town. I believe I was called a smooth devil.

Got a good feeling about this! Man. Nerves. Fucking nerves, doggs. What is the deal.

• Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    So I guess I am glad she was not there and I left a note cause holy shit, I probably would've babbled like a damn fool.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    rrr, still tired from jogging

guess I'll start writing when moving my fingers is less of a hassle

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    philosophy as an undergraduate degree feeds into any number of "we want someone with enough discipline to graduate at a intellectually demanding subject" careers

nothing specific, though, and there one has to fight with people holding communications degrees but a lot of other stuff on their CV

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Someone in [education].no does not like bioengineering because they have apparently taken care to mention handling urine as part of the common work tasks for a bioengineer

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    @desc, i narrowly missed her but this time left a note in her box. An older lady came upstairs and asked what was up to the receptionist and I explained. She was so happy that I was there and that I offered to show the girl around town. I believe I was called a smooth devil.

Got a good feeling about this! Man. Nerves. Fucking nerves, doggs. What is the deal.
    You go, Desc!

Remember, worst-case scenario is she tells you to fuck off, and you're in the same place you were yesterday. No harm done.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    So I guess I am glad she was not there and I left a note cause holy shit, I probably would've babbled like a damn fool.

It all makes sense until she says "hi." Then your brain shunts all blood away from itself and your extremities and you are told later by witnesses that you made a damn fool of yourself.

edit: Well done though with the note! Classy first move!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUpc0YNkkJ0

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    My cinnamon cheesecake was a hit! Woo! One of my co-workers, a little waif of a girl that couldn't be more than 100 pounds soaking wet had four pieces of it. Man.

I also calculated the calorie count for it. It's a big springform pan that I make it in, so probably 15 servings, but it clocks in at 9,000 calories.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Thanatos is giving the credit to Desc.

Real low.

• Options
    Two things I did today that pleased old people immensely... carried around big tables and put them away after the service and asked that girl out.

I like happy old people.

• Options
    Some old people just want the kids to fuck, Castle.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    _J_ wrote:
    Winky wrote:
    _J_ wrote:
    Winky wrote:
    You can't actually prove the coffee cup is definitely there.

You can, however, decide it doesn't matter if the coffee cup is there, what matters is you have the perception that it's there and that's enough to go on for your purposes.

Or try to construct probability statements regarding the existence of the cup.

If you don't mind an infinite regress.

Personally what I like is this:

You can't be certain there's an external reality, but you can be certain that there's consistency in the perceptions you are having. All of external reality could just be a really complicated simulation but who gives a fuck because you can still master the relationships between all the things you can perceive (so long as they stay consistent, which runs into the problem of induction, which I like to defeat using falsificationism).

I'm curious as to how you establish the certainty of consistency. You would need some means by which to be certain of the past that is taken to be consistent with the present. You can say there is consistency between T1 and T2, but presumably you are making that assessment at T3. So how do you know about T1 and T2 at T3?

And you'd need a means of knowing that relationships exist, and then a means of knowing the content of those relationships.

And you'd need to work out how perception works.

The assessment of consistency is taken only at that specific moment of time. My perception at T3 is not comparing T1 and T2, but instead current memory of T1 and T2 at T3, as my memory of T1 and T2 exist at T3. The "perception" in this instance that is being checked for consistency is the memory, which is current, not necessarily the events at T1 and T2 themselves.

Excuse my use of the word perception, by the way. What I mean to say is basically whatever information my consciousness is being fed.

As far as "knowing relationships exist" and "knowing the content of those relationships" the basic set up is: establish hypothesis, assume it is true, continue to check consistency of hypothesis until it is shown to be false, adopt new hypothesis.

• Options
    Sarksus wrote:

We must make a new generation before we too shrivel and must go into the west.

• Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    ronya wrote:
    philosophy as an undergraduate degree feeds into any number of "we want someone with enough discipline to graduate at a intellectually demanding subject" careers

nothing specific, though, and there one has to fight with people holding communications degrees but a lot of other stuff on their CV

Pretty much.

It's a great 'I have a degree, and am p. clever, let me onto your graduate schemes or jobs of a non-descript nature'*.

But goodness will you never hear that over the bleating of 'my law degree means I can be a lawyer enjoy serving coffee bro '
    8-)

*which unfortunately is becoming a necessity for any real job that's not a trade.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    what kind of work are you going to do anyway?

Genuinely curious because like, it's one of those studies that doesn't link to any profession at all

like, law => lawyer/jurist

reservoir engineering => reservoir engineer

anything with "culture" and "communication" in the title => low-level government bureaucrat

philosophy => ....

Teaching is the most common career. But, if you think about it, philosophy is about reading / understanding arguments, and discerning the structure of arguments. If a person is adept at that, they can pretty much do anything that relies upon some formal structure.

Also, there's the hubristic claim that philosophy encompases all human inquiry. So if one understand philosophy, one could do anything that falls under the context of philosophy...which would be everything humanity has ever done, ever.

Also, chart: Salary Increase by Major

• Options
    you know I think designing weapons systems would be really cool actually

not super politically correct but fuck it

I wanna make tomorrow's nuke

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    I do not think that, when Nagel asked "what is it like to be a bat?" in 1974, he actually expected anyone to wave the flag of neurophilosophy and actually lay out what is known about the physiology of bats.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Sarksus wrote:

We must make a new generation before we too shrivel and must go into the west.

They just want to trick you into having kids so you have to endure the hardships they did. Horrid buggers them elders be.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote:
    the problem there being that you have to study it aaaaaaallll and not just like, learn what you want to learn

But what you want to learn will be related to what you're studying. It's not as if Heidegger has nothing to do with Leibniz.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    YESSSSS it's finally Fall, I can use my favorite line.

Girl I'll get you wetter than October.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:

Design non-lethal weapons like sonic concussion blasters and shit. There, no ethical problems (you are actually saving lives by putting these where guns would normally be) and it's still super high tech and awesome.

• Options
    Winky wrote:
    The assessment of consistency is taken only at that specific moment of time. My perception at T3 is not comparing T1 and T2, but instead current memory of T1 and T2 at T3, as my memory of T1 and T2 exist at T3. The "perception" in this instance that is being checked for consistency is the memory, which is current, not necessarily the events at T1 and T2 themselves.

Excuse my use of the word perception, by the way. What I mean to say is basically whatever information my consciousness is being fed.

As far as "knowing relationships exist" and "knowing the content of those relationships" the basic set up is: establish hypothesis, assume it is true, continue to check consistency of hypothesis until it is shown to be false, adopt new hypothesis.

Ah, so you're an idealist, and you're just mucking about with establishing consistent paterns of ideas in your mind.

Keen!

I'm curious as to how you get from those ideas to the real world.

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:

What.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote:

Do you like the smell of chloroform?

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote:

I said this before. Daxon said I was terrible and immoral and should dedicate my life to something that isn't evil.

• Options
    Organichu wrote:

Shouldn't you wait until April for that line, being that it portends much rain showers.

• Options
    _J_ wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:

But what you want to learn will be related to what you're studying. It's not as if Morgoth has nothing to do with Sauron.

• Options
    Mim wrote:
    Organichu wrote:

What.

Satisfaction not guaranteed, I guess.

Every time I've said it in person it has made a girl laugh and smile big.

• Options
    _J_ wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    what kind of work are you going to do anyway?

Genuinely curious because like, it's one of those studies that doesn't link to any profession at all

like, law => lawyer/jurist

reservoir engineering => reservoir engineer

anything with "culture" and "communication" in the title => low-level government bureaucrat

philosophy => ....

Teaching is the most common career. But, if you think about it, philosophy is about reading / understanding arguments, and discerning the structure of arguments. If a person is adept at that, they can pretty much do anything that relies upon some formal structure.

Also, there's the hubristic claim that philosophy encompases all human inquiry. So if one understand philosophy, one could do anything that falls under the context of philosophy...which would be everything humanity has ever done, ever.

Also, chart: Salary Increase by Major

that's..... very, very, very hubristic.

Like, okay, you get philosophy? Great, then tell us the likelyhood of finding oil in this field here, as well as the likelyhood of where in this field and what kind of distribution of crude oil types we're gonna get

then do a structure analysis of this airplane

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Organichu wrote:

see this entire second line isn't showing up in posts for me

no one else? chrome with the old style style sheet thing

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    You should say

Girl, I'll moisten your lips better than chap stick.

GET IT?

• Options
    It helps to also say "GET IT" at the end.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote:
    that's..... very, very, very hubristic.

Like, okay, you get philosophy? Great, then tell us the likelyhood of finding oil in this field here, as well as the likelyhood of where in this field and what kind of distribution of crude oil types we're gonna get

then do a structure analysis of this airplane

Well, first we have to establish that oil exists. And that might take a while.

• Options
    Organichu wrote:
    Mim wrote:
    Organichu wrote:

What.

Satisfaction not guaranteed, I guess.

Every time I've said it in person it has made a girl laugh and smile big.

Oh, I did laugh and I do have a big smile.

But that's because that just sounds so...weird.

• Options
    Variable wrote:
    Organichu wrote:

see this entire second line isn't showing up in posts for me

no one else? chrome with the old style style sheet thing

I'm also using Chrome, Old Style... working fine for me (albeit in OSX).

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    what a weird problem

variable is a butt

• Options
    Winky wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:

Design non-lethal weapons like sonic concussion blasters and shit. There, no ethical problems (you are actually saving lives by putting these where guns would normally be) and it's still super high tech and awesome.

less-lethal

ain't no such thing as a non-lethal weapon

also, no, that's not necessarily true. It's not as if the police would just shoot everyone they couldn't beanbag, tase or spray. Having a less-lethal option also lowers the bar for using them.

Just like safety measures for cars making us drive worse because we are an essentially irrational species

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Sarksus wrote:
    You should say

Girl, I'll moisten your lips better than chap stick.

GET IT?

Are you wetting it with kisses or something else?

This discussion has been closed.