As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Steven P. Jobs Memorial [Chat]

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    _J_ wrote:
    Winky wrote:
    The assessment of consistency is taken only at that specific moment of time. My perception at T3 is not comparing T1 and T2, but instead current memory of T1 and T2 at T3, as my memory of T1 and T2 exist at T3. The "perception" in this instance that is being checked for consistency is the memory, which is current, not necessarily the events at T1 and T2 themselves.

Excuse my use of the word perception, by the way. What I mean to say is basically whatever information my consciousness is being fed.

As far as "knowing relationships exist" and "knowing the content of those relationships" the basic set up is: establish hypothesis, assume it is true, continue to check consistency of hypothesis until it is shown to be false, adopt new hypothesis.

Ah, so you're an idealist, and you're just mucking about with establishing consistent paterns of ideas in your mind.

Keen!

I'm curious as to how you get from those ideas to the real world.

I definitely wouldn't describe myself as an idealist at all.

Rather, I'd like to think the framework laid out there allows one to work entirely empirical from there on out. Essentially, once you begin declaring hypotheses, it's all science. Saying "okay, there's information coming into my head, I just have to make it all consistent" the ultimate theory you come up with to consistently describe all the information your consciousness is receiving can very easily be a sensible materialist one. I like to start at Descartes and then abandon him immediately thereafter.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Mim wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:
    You should say

Girl, I'll moisten your lips better than chap stick.

GET IT?

Are you wetting it with kisses or something else?

All kinds of things.

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Mim wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    Mim wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    YESSSSS it's finally Fall, I can use my favorite line.

Girl I'll get you wetter than October.

What.

Satisfaction not guaranteed, I guess.

Every time I've said it in person it has made a girl laugh and smile big.

Oh, I did laugh and I do have a big smile.

But that's because that just sounds so...weird.

Hahaha... I guess. I dunno, it's always been a hit with the ladies I've said it to. Maybe they found it weird too! But they later touched my dong so I ain't afraid.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    let's make sex

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    OTLC, I totally gave Desc credit for your macking.

I would apologize, but that would involve admitting I was wrong about something, and I'm looking for a job with a Republican administration, so, y'know...

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I can't fathom actually saying that to a person

I have no gutssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Winky wrote:
    Rather, I'd like to think the framework laid out there allows one to work entirely empirical from there on out. Essentially, once you begin declaring hypotheses, it's all science. Saying "okay, there's information coming into my head, I just have to make it all consistent" the ultimate theory you come up with to consistently describe all the information your consciousness is receiving can very easily be a sensible materialist one. I like to start at Descartes and then abandon him immediately thereafter.

Is science a hypothesis?

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Organichu, if they touched you at any point in time later it was not because of that line.

Unfortunately, it appears your personality is attractive.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Ahhh, my mother just told me that Big Bang Theory is playing D&D and then proceeded to sing "IT'S YOUUUUUU"

Whatever, Community did it better.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    speaking of october

today has had the greatest coastal autumn weather

started a bit windy in the morning but it picked up and was wipping the fjord to froth by evening

the skies darkened as the wind picked up

as the sun set, raindrops were in the air, along with ocean spray

God, I love this place. It is good to be home. Even if I'm home because of the wierdest reason.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    i should maybe pursue this newfound electronics hobby a little slower, I think I've burned close to $200 and I haven't even gotten to my eventual goal of building a 3d printer or CNC machine!

• Options
    Variable wrote:

It's not something to be said with seriousness. It's a joking line that will make you both laugh afterwards but hey- with a little self-assurance it also lets her know that you're confident you can make her happy. So like, both people will laugh it off afterwards but I definitely think it runs a little 'hah... interesting' past her brain.

• Options
    Mim wrote:
    Ahhh, my mother just told me that Big Bang Theory is playing D&D and then proceeded to sing "IT'S YOUUUUUU"

Isn't she supposed to be getting ready.

• Options
    Organichu wrote:
    Variable wrote:

It's not something to be said with seriousness. It's a joking line that will make you both laugh afterwards but hey- with a little self-assurance it also lets her know that you're confident you can make her happy. So like, both people will laugh it off afterwards but I definitely think it runs a little 'hah... interesting' past her brain.

yeah I just can't do that

probably because I'm neither self assured nor confident in any respect

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2011
    Elendil wrote:
    let's make sex

Machen wir sex

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    You know why I don't like planning to do things with people?

Because it requires that other people state their intentions, and then maintain them through the doing of a thing.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote:
    i should maybe pursue this newfound electronics hobby a little slower, I think I've burned close to $200 and I haven't even gotten to my eventual goal of building a 3d printer or CNC machine!

OOOH! 3d printers are mucho neato. What do you plan on making?

• Options
    Winky, who is science?

• Options
    _J_ wrote:
    Winky wrote:

Is science a hypothesis?

Depends on who's science :P.

But I like to stick to a kind of "holistic Popper" philosophy towards science. Essentially it's falsificationism "Establish a hypothesis that can be proven false, test it, if it is proven false abandon it" only I work around underdetermination by identifying the fact that anytime you form a hypothesis it is actually a hypothesis about all knowledge, since all knowledge is inherently interconnected. That way the notion of "saving a hypothesis" by shifting auxiliary statements doesn't make any sense because the hypothesis you were testing actually included all possible auxiliary statements.

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    Sarksus wrote:
    Winky, who is science?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4vwh4-K_ZQ

• Options
    Variable wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    Variable wrote:

Well, you're a pretty tall guy. You can outrun most women. <3

• Options
    Organichu wrote:
    Variable wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    Variable wrote:

that's a good point

• Options
    _J_ wrote:

Because it requires that other people state their intentions, and then maintain them through the doing of a thing.

so, as an example, planning to have sex with a girl later tonight would be awful because it would require her to state her intention of having sex with you and then maintain her intention of doing so trough having sex with you?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Sarksus wrote:
    Mim wrote:

She's ready but now my dad is saying his plane will get in by 8-ish.

The chances of me getting Cuba Libre for dinner are diminishing.

• Options
    Mim wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:
    Mim wrote:

I got no idea what that is.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    confidence is insanity

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Dynagrip wrote:

I don't have anything specific in mind other than that i really really want a 3d printer.

• Options
    Cuba Libre is so good.

• Options
    Sarksus wrote:
    Mim wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:
    Mim wrote:

I got no idea what that is.

Deliciousness.

Beautiful deliciousness.

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote:
    _J_ wrote:

so, as an example, planning to have sex with a girl later tonight would be awful because it would require her to state her intention of having sex with you and then maintain her intention of doing so trough having sex with you?

It's cool if that happens.

It's not cool if you plan for it to happen, and then she doesn't show up. Or changes her mind...mid-coitus...or something.

Mostly I'm just irritated because I'm maybe meeting a friend somewhere tomorrow, and I would have to leave here at around 6 in the morning to get there on time, and she still hasn't confirmed that anything is happening.

• Options
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:

I don't have anything specific in mind other than that i really really want a 3d printer.

Fair enough.

(Make money).

>.>

• Options
    _J_ wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    _J_ wrote:

It's not cool if you plan for it to happen, and then she doesn't show up. Or changes her mind...mid-coitus...or something.

Mostly I'm just irritated because I'm maybe meeting a friend somewhere tomorrow, and I would have to leave here at around 6 in the morning to get there on time, and she still hasn't confirmed that anything is happening.

It better not be that chick from before.

• Options
    Variable wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    Variable wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    Variable wrote:

that's a good point

I've seen... three different TV programs which were about doing some speed date testing to get some data on what people like (do people click with people who resemble themselves in facial structure, etc etc)

I remember seeing three because each one came a say I was home sick and I was like "again? This is getting wierd." at the end.

But ANYWAY, my point was, all of them said the biggest factor for women that overrode all other factors in a first impression thing was height

so if you're tall you got the odds on your side

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Winky wrote:
    _J_ wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    _J_ wrote:

Definately not the chick from before.

It's the chick from before the chick from before.

• Options
    Winky wrote:
    _J_ wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    _J_ wrote:

like, way before?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    _J_ wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    I need to find something I want to study. Like, specifically, not just "some kind of engineer doing something"

current demands of line of study: 1. must be engineering of the proper kind not like computer engineer or some bollocks like that
    2. Must be cool
    3. Must lead to easily getting a well-paid job

EDIT: No. 3 is not really worry, something that fills requirement 1 will fill 3

Hmmm...

Could I interest you in the humanities?

ahahahahahah haaa haha ha ha. ha.

no.

Humanities have never even been a question. What I was looking at through high school was macroeconomics.
    Dunadan019 wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    I need to find something I want to study. Like, specifically, not just "some kind of engineer doing something"

current demands of line of study: 1. must be engineering of the proper kind not like computer engineer or some bollocks like that
    2. Must be cool

petrolium engineering.

fills 1 and 3 really well (petroleum engineers make mad bank, I know from first-hand experience)

but it's not the coolest thing there is

I want to make something

(or atleast design something which a bunch of lowly paid peons will actually make)

make something sci-fi

Rocket engineer.

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    a walking stick bug just landed on my foot.

• Options
    Dunadan019 wrote:
    a walking stick bug just landed on my foot.

It wants to be your lover.

You like long sticks, right?

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    so awesome.

I have an addiction and I can see it starting to ruin me. like holy shit I can hardly function

need to shell out some money for some fixes

tyrannus on
  • Options
    Dunadan019 wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    _J_ wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:

2. Must be cool

Hmmm...

Could I interest you in the humanities?

ahahahahahah haaa haha ha ha. ha.

no.

Humanities have never even been a question. What I was looking at through high school was macroeconomics.
    Dunadan019 wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:

2. Must be cool

petrolium engineering.

fills 1 and 3 really well (petroleum engineers make mad bank, I know from first-hand experience)

but it's not the coolest thing there is

I want to make something

(or atleast design something which a bunch of lowly paid peons will actually make)

make something sci-fi

Rocket engineer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THNPmhBl-8I

This discussion has been closed.