Options

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, but not over the lameness of countdowns

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    I think Hell's Kitchen was my favourite area, I loved the verticality, being able to climb buildings and enter from different avenues, the bars, the number of NPCs and variety of quests on offer.

Hong Kong was good and I liked a lot of it but I think that in some ways it was too spread out? It's been a while so I might be misremembering.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I think Hell's Kitchen was my favourite area, I loved the verticality, being able to climb buildings and enter from different avenues, the bars, the number of NPCs and variety of quests on offer.

Hong Kong was good and I liked a lot of it but I think that in some ways it was too spread out? It's been a while so I might be misremembering.

Finding the MJ-12 base deep under Hell's Kitchen is still one of my top 5 gaming moments. Having the enemy, literally, right under your nose was a brilliant touch.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Finding the MJ-12 base deep under Hell's Kitchen is still one of my top 5 gaming moments. Having the enemy, literally, right under your nose was a brilliant touch.

And having it be a super optional area 95% of players miss the first time through.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I dunno if it's 95% of players who miss it. That thing was super easy to find.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Laser eyes are too silver age.

I have two words for you:
    skull-guns
    Just as long as it comes with migraine proof recoil.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Keep in mind this is also a game from a different time in the Internet's history. I wouldn't go as far as saying the 'burgeoning' years, but it came out in 2000, not a time where we're three clicks away from two thousand videos showing off every easter egg, fifteen Gamefaqs walkthroughs (though I'm surprised to see it was started in 1995, wish I could recall my first venture there) or a billion "top ten things that will SHOCK YOU about Deus Ex" articles on Buzzfeed and Kotaku or whatever.

I like to think I've pretty thoroughly played through a lot of the original, and frankly I think this thread might be the first time I was made aware that place even existed.

Hell, it's listed on the wiki page without even having a page of its own or much detail beyond noting which NPC gives access to it.

http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Hell's_Kitchen

I'm pretty sure I noticed the sewer entrance in question, but can't actually recall going down there, let alone finding this base. Maybe I did, but we're talking about a subsection of a level from around 15 years ago, and on subsequent playthroughs I was usually eager to get deeper into the game, not just relive the first few hours (as the commonly linked image meme notes).

Maybe more people found it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a vast minority all the same.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    I kinda liked the story in invisible war to be honest; I liked the idea that ultimately, it was all just a mad scramble for power among a bunch of asshole factions.

I also liked the premise of a world that has substantially transcended nation states in favor of worldwide political entities, even if that idea is almost immediately belied by the game's actual environments.

And, I have always enjoyed the 'secret' fourth ending.

the execution just doesn't make it though, and you never feel any real attachment to the protagonist the way you do with JC or Adam

I'm not so fond of that. To quote Tom Francis (who liked IW much more than I did)

" Invisible War fails by being too scared to suggest a morally acceptable faction, and thus systematically destroying the philosophical appeal of each of the ideologies to which your character can subscribe, and thereby any spark to the plot that could make it enjoyable for repeat plays. It's fun to replay Deus Ex even when you know the twist is coming because there are real, compelling things involved - UNATCO resembles the US government unwaveringly and believably, and the NSF are exactly like certain terrorist groups with a good cause but not enough organisation to keep their methods moral. In Invisible War, you're not interested in the factions because they're all murderous hypocrites with nothing but vague, philosophically feeble rhetoric to justify their actions. You don't even believe that they believe it, let alone that it's worth fighting for or caring about. It was such a disastrously bad design decision to 'balance' them with flaws rather than working on convincing you of their merits."

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    In case anyone either hasn't had the time/inclination to play through DXHR again, or missed it in the first place eidos are putting up a series of recap videos on the DX youtube channel which are actually pretty good. First one was posted today, at a guess there will be 2 more, based on how far this one gets.

(SPOILERS obviously)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D42AsgO28ZY

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Had a quick (and silly) question:

I've been going through the Director's Cut for the first time, and just started the Missing Link section. Originally, the aug reversion was (effectively) temporary because information didn't flow between the two launchers. Given that it's (less than seamlessly, but) integrated into the wider game, do I still regain the augs and praxis I had before entering this section?

Currently I've lost about 11 praxis; I had 19 saved up when I left the dock, and only received 8 after collecting my gear.

• Options
    SneaksSneaks Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    Once you complete "The Missing Link", you'll get a bunch more Praxis kits (to bring your point value back to what it was before starting "The Missing Link"). Also your previous equipment. It'll be in a box on the ramp where you end "The Missing Link" though, so be sure not to advance back into the main story without picking it all up, or you'll be SOL.

Sneaks on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Neat. Thanks!

• Options
    oxblowoxblow Registered User regular
    You get the rest back at the very end of the DLC section. Along with your actual gear.
    The stash you find on the ship is based on how you have been playing I think? I was confused too, since I got my upgraded weapons back there, but none of my other stuff, or most of the praxis.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I like all the little improvements throughout HRDC, but The Missing Link section really kills my momentum during replays.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Second and final part of the recaps, goes all the way to the end, but without going into actual endings for obvious reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ws7MXsM2PRo

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Hmm, slightly disappointing news regarding DX12 support, however, it's still in, so there is that.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/337000/announcements/detail/930377969893113169
    The Deus Ex franchise originated on PC, and we’re passionate about continuing to provide the best experience possible to our long-time fans and players on the PC.

Contrary to our previous announcement, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, which is shipping on August 23rd, will unfortunately not support DirectX 12 at launch. We have some extra work and optimizations to do for DX12, and we need more time to ensure we deliver a compelling experience. Our teams are working hard to complete the final push required here though, and we expect to release DX12 support on the week of September 5th!

We thank you for your patience, passion, and support.

- The Deus Ex team

Predictably the comments are a partial trashfire, but oh well, at least it's not a full blown delay. On the plus side, this means I can do a proper before/after with my new card and see how much of a difference DX12 actually makes :+1:

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Anyone playing Go currently?

ANy idea how many levels it is/how long it takes to play through?

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Looks like review embargo is up this Friday. They seem to be quite confident about this.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I took PTO for Tuesday

So excited

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    I took PTO for Tuesday

So excited

Eight hours vacation all approved. Picking up my copy first thing Tuesday and playing all day. I am hyped.
    I asked for this

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    I took PTO for Tuesday

So excited

Eight hours vacation all approved. Picking up my copy first thing Tuesday and playing all day. I am hyped.
    I asked for this
    What a shame

Got my fingers crossed on getting my key before Monday so I can preload, but not too fussed about not being able to jump in immediately, I want to savour this one :)

Snicketysnick on
    7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    No, within six months.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    It's probably going to be a few weeks before I pick this up, but I'm really excited for it.

I'm seriously jonesing for some cyber-punk right now.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    It's probably going to be a few weeks before I pick this up, but I'm really excited for it.

I'm seriously jonesing for some cyber-punk right now.

It's just over $60 for the DD version with the season pass on GMG right now. or $40 for the base game.

No I don't.
  • Options
  • Options
    I have Tuesdays off naturally (not a cowinkidink), and I am completely ready for this. I am getting it on PC, and I completely reject their minimum specs. If I can run Witcha 3 at 50-55FPS at 16X9 I have to be able to run this right at similar settings right? RIGHT?!

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    edit: Oh never mind, pricing error I guess

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    We're going to find out if it's possible to finish this game before Legion launches on the 30th.

Sources say yes, if you abandon all human decency.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    We're going to find out if it's possible to finish this game before Legion launches on the 30th.

People got to the center of the Universe in NMS in days. . .Machine Gun Preacher Jensen shouldn't take too long on his quest.

• Options
    Yeah, it's crazy how fast some people finish these games. I still remember hearing complaints about the Mass Effect 3 ending like the day after it released. I was still waiting for my 2-day shipping to arrive with it.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    ED! wrote: »
    3clipse wrote: »

People got to the center of the Universe in NMS in days. . .Machine Gun Preacher Jensen shouldn't take too long on his quest.

Yeah after work ends on Friday I'm going to sit in my apartment and play Deus Ex. I might go outside once to buy food for the weekend, I'm gonna play it by ear.

• Options
    LorekLorek Registered User regular
    I have Tuesdays off naturally (not a cowinkidink), and I am completely ready for this. I am getting it on PC, and I completely reject their minimum specs. If I can run Witcha 3 at 50-55FPS at 16X9 I have to be able to run this right at similar settings right? RIGHT?!

Someone on neogaf with a preview key has been saying the PC port is pretty good optimization wise.
    He is using a GTX 770 2GB with an i5 processor and is getting
    • 55-60 FPS on medium,
    • 45-50 FPS on high and
    • 40-45 FPS on Ultra settings

• Options
    All praise to NIXXIES, they are wizards over there.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Lorek wrote: »

Someone on neogaf with a preview key has been saying the PC port is pretty good optimization wise.
    • 55-60 FPS on medium,
    • 45-50 FPS on high and

That's good. I remember getting a solid 30FPS on HR way back when.

One thing. . .I wish I didn't know what Elias Toufexis looked like (god damn THE EXPANSE). I can only see his face!

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Deus Ex: Go is out Today :biggrin:
    Oddly it's 7 freaking bucks in Canada :(

also "Success in the game will reward players of upcoming Deus Ex: Mankind Divided with additional "Praxis Kits" for use in that game."

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Hardtarget wrote: »

also "Success in the game will reward players of upcoming Deus Ex: Mankind Divided with additional "Praxis Kits" for use in that game."

I thought it was free?

Also EDGE magazine (who?) gave the game 9/10.

Finally: PC gameplay.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »

I thought it was free?

Also EDGE magazine (who?) gave the game 9/10.

Finally: PC gameplay.

EDGE is actually a pretty big well know publication.

Who is, apparently, not known for handing out high scores as easily as some of the others.

• Options
    Yeah EDGE don't generally muck around with high scores, so that is a pretty solid vote of confidence.

7qmGNt5.png
  • Options
    Ugh, I didn't really like Hitman Go. I wouldn't mind some extra Praxis though.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited August 2016
    A 9 from Edge is about a 15 if we use the internet 1-8 garbageshit, 9 great, 10 gotyay tiers. Pretty excited! Need to decide on PC or PS4 now though, guessing my 670/3750k should still be able to give me decent performance.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Lorek wrote: »

• 55-60 FPS on medium,
    • 45-50 FPS on high and

That's almost exactly my setup, good news.

This discussion has been closed.