Options

games "journalism" - submit your shit to orikae already, jesus christ

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    I mean, typically if it's a kotaku url, I might take some sick pleasure out of how awful x or y is, but I'd rather not give them any extra page views unless it's sincerely a good article.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Says the guy who turned on Fox News in my hotel last week.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I thought it was good... it's about a game that's like Eternal Sunshine in reverse, sort of

Science allows doctors to let people fulfill their fondest dream by locating a point in their memories from which to anchor a false narrative that leads inevitably to achieving said dream

But the process kills the person

The article talks about that, and materialism, and other related stuff

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Ooooh ha, I need to get that game.

I sort of study that.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Says the guy who turned on Fox News in my hotel last week.

I was just flipping channels while waiting for the soup to cool down.

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    To The Moon is a good game. It's sort of like Inception+Eternal Sunshine+Memento in video game form! That is, insofar as it's a game at all; it's more like interactive fiction with a 16-bit RPG aesthetic. The overall tone is a little mawkish, and it sort of gets away from itself right at the end, but I still enjoyed it. You can play the first hour for free, then pay to resume where you left off:

http://freebirdgames.com/to_the_moon/

Darric on
  • Options
    That said, that Kotaku article is all kinds of hokey redundancy.

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Saw that game at GDC this week. Didn't get a chance to play it but it looked pretty neat.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Part of me regrets not going to GDC, but then the other part of me just keeps playing Mass Effect 3.

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    gdc should be renamed 'game devs and writers hang out with each other and get drunk week' because it ain't much of a conference

i've been wanting to play to the moon. perhaps tonight's the night! after i finish writing (never)

• Options
    Orik is right about that. The real opportunities to network are at the parties. I only wish I was more comfortable with the area so I could've gone to more.

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    even then, eh. you need to be part of cliques to get invites, and you can't necessarily form those cliques or enter them at GDC. the best way in is to start doing good work and getting eyes on it.

• Options
    I'd say that's mostly true. Though this was just my first time. I met toooooons of people and went to a couple exclusive parties. The Riot one was a blast even if it was super crowded.

BdVvFJu.jpg
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    I feel the first 30 seconds of this conveys a developers hanging out quite well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoMmWxLE6sQ

• Options
    I'd mostly go for the talks. I like hearing post-mortems and all that sort of thing, and I'm not much for parties. Really should've gone this year, bleh.

• Options
    VoproSTEINVoproSTEIN howdyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Episode 5 of the Counter Podcast can be downloaded here.

WARNING: Contains spoilers on everything Mass Effect 1 through 3, the entire Halo franchise, Dragon Age, and other games I don't care about.

Topics include tutorials, gamer entitlement, how awesome Mass Effect 3 was, how overpowered the pistol in Halo was, and general stuff about video games.

VoproSTEIN on
  • Options
    Man...we really did spoil everything didn't we?

• Options
    Official title of this episode is Contains Spoilers!

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    I see we kept in my insane rant where I threaten to remove teeth

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    So how much spoiling of ME3 is there?

I'm not done yet so...

• Options
    I don't think too much, most likely just the DLC character and mission, seeing as we recorded that episode last week before the game came out.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Edcrab wrote: »

yeah, he sometimes keeps things it ell him to cut as well. like the whole "are you asain" discussion. that was never meant to air.

• Options
    It's 'cause we're a pocast on the edge.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    I read through some MD articles and the best thing I've read so far is Edcrab's bio.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    My friends have started sharing articles on their Facebook and I'm like wow. It's awesome!

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Dave! Be on our podcast at some point!

We'll make you a special guest and everything.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Just give me a time and date and I can be around.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The SWG bit made RPS's Sunday Papers.

Which means I'm going to be reading it again for the third time.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Melding wrote: »
    Edcrab wrote: »

yeah, he sometimes keeps things it ell him to cut as well. like the whole "are you asain" discussion. that was never meant to air.

Sometimes I forget to cut things out, other times I keep it in to add character. Most of the time cutting it out makes it hard to lead into the next topic.

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The Sunday Papers also led me to an ME2 article which felt the need to link to TVTropes to explain suspension of disbelief and managed to make me cringe every three paragraphs

EDIT: Also Vopro thanks for editing it all, by the way

We do of course appreciate your efforts most heartily even if you refuse to excise segments which make us sound half-crazed

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    That ME2 article was a bit... eh. I just kept feeling "okay, so what?".

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    @Edcrab

It's part of the magic!

• Options
    Man. That ME3 article is filled with more whining than a dentist's office.

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Just give me a time and date and I can be around.

usually around midnight your time saturday. any saturday.

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So for you guys who aren't playstation plus and own a PS3...

You really need to buy and play Journey next week, and if you are playstation plus, go buy it now.

It's a gorgeous damn game. Only two real complaints so far. I'm going to spoil them to prevent people who don't want to know anything whatsoever about it from seeing it, but there aren't any story spoilers or anything. It's all gameplay impressions. Also it got a lot longer than I anticipated it would.
    One complaint is how it's possible to miss some of the collectibles during a section where you have no choice but to move forward. At the end of every section, the little thing you have to activate to progress has a panel in front of it to indicate how many of the total collectibles you received in that section. Seeing that you missed one and being unable to go back without physically exiting the game so you start the section over is awkward and frustrating. The collectibles certainly aren't required, but I still wish they'd have just not had those items during the on rails section.

The other is how the dark souls-esque multiplayer element doesn't really add anything and in my opinion kinda messes up a potentially fantastic feeling of solitary appreciation. With someone else, even if you have no idea who they are and there is no real communication, you feel more compelled to move forward with them instead of exploring the world at your own pace. For such a beautifully crafted game, and since you can't turn it off, I think it's a negative. But I'm basically a hermit, so that might be factoring in.

And just because I feel I should say something positive here, the way they do lighting in Journey is just jaw-dropping sometimes. The on-rails section can be annoying if you're a crazy completionist, but it's also great because it forces you to see a certain visual that is just fucking incredible looking. You wouldn't think that a sandy wastleland could be one of the most beautiful things you've ever seen in a game, but Journey delivers.

The controls and gameplay are so far (not finished yet) nothing special. It's a 3rd person exploration game with no combat (yet) and extremely minor puzzles. (so far) As of this post, the visuals are everything about Journey. And they're fantastic.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular

You really need to buy and play Journey next week, and if you are playstation plus, go buy it now.

It's a gorgeous damn game. Only two real complaints so far. I'm going to spoil them to prevent people who don't want to know anything whatsoever about it from seeing it, but there aren't any story spoilers or anything. It's all gameplay impressions. Also it got a lot longer than I anticipated it would.
    One complaint is how it's possible to miss some of the collectibles during a section where you have no choice but to move forward. At the end of every section, the little thing you have to activate to progress has a panel in front of it to indicate how many of the total collectibles you received in that section. Seeing that you missed one and being unable to go back without physically exiting the game so you start the section over is awkward and frustrating. The collectibles certainly aren't required, but I still wish they'd have just not had those items during the on rails section.

The other is how the dark souls-esque multiplayer element doesn't really add anything and in my opinion kinda messes up a potentially fantastic feeling of solitary appreciation. With someone else, even if you have no idea who they are and there is no real communication, you feel more compelled to move forward with them instead of exploring the world at your own pace. For such a beautifully crafted game, and since you can't turn it off, I think it's a negative. But I'm basically a hermit, so that might be factoring in.

And just because I feel I should say something positive here, the way they do lighting in Journey is just jaw-dropping sometimes. The on-rails section can be annoying if you're a crazy completionist, but it's also great because it forces you to see a certain visual that is just fucking incredible looking. You wouldn't think that a sandy wastleland could be one of the most beautiful things you've ever seen in a game, but Journey delivers.

The controls and gameplay are so far (not finished yet) nothing special. It's a 3rd person exploration game with no combat (yet) and extremely minor puzzles. (so far) As of this post, the visuals are everything about Journey. And they're fantastic.

re: that spoiler
    While there's a sense that you always need to be going and going with another guy in there, there's nothing that says you have to. Far as I can tell there's never a NEED for both players to progress, and if you lag behind too far it'll just give them another buddy. It's not like they can yell at you, except maybe flashing their light a bunch, but oh well. More important in my opinion is the feeling that you're never alone, and even though there are always other people behind the controls of the other journeyman, they always look nearly the same. The only thing changing is the length of their scarf and it gives the whole thing a sense of cohesion, that it's just you and this one other person against the world, and the fact that you power each other up to fly is pretty great.

Some of the later scenes in that game are so much better with another person. And yeah, it's not a very challenging game, and there isn't really a way to die, but that isn't really what it's about anyway.

Plus, having easy to miss collectibles gives it something of a replay value. The game is not very long, especially if you're always pushing forward, so it's nice that there's something (plus the trophies) that makes you say "Yeah, ok, I'll do that again."

• Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular

re: that spoiler
    While there's a sense that you always need to be going and going with another guy in there, there's nothing that says you have to. Far as I can tell there's never a NEED for both players to progress, and if you lag behind too far it'll just give them another buddy. It's not like they can yell at you, except maybe flashing their light a bunch, but oh well. More important in my opinion is the feeling that you're never alone, and even though there are always other people behind the controls of the other journeyman, they always look nearly the same. The only thing changing is the length of their scarf and it gives the whole thing a sense of cohesion, that it's just you and this one other person against the world, and the fact that you power each other up to fly is pretty great.

Some of the later scenes in that game are so much better with another person. And yeah, it's not a very challenging game, and there isn't really a way to die, but that isn't really what it's about anyway.

Plus, having easy to miss collectibles gives it something of a replay value. The game is not very long, especially if you're always pushing forward, so it's nice that there's something (plus the trophies) that makes you say "Yeah, ok, I'll do that again."
    Yeah, I can understand the appeal of adding some replay value for sure. It definitely bothers my completionist nature though. Also, having an absurdly long scarf is really cool, the longer the better.

As for the multiplayer thing, I just feel like everything I've seen so far offers nothing beneficial whatsoever by including someone else. When you're by yourself, the game has an almost metroid feeling of isolation to the atmosphere. You're wandering through the ruins of some presumably ancient and abandoned world. It seems to have more impact to me when I'm alone in that world, and a bit of that it ruined whenever I see someone else there. It becomes less personal

I dunno, that again might just speak to how I prefer my singleplayer to be a solitary experience, but as cool an idea as it is to have a totally non communicative multiplayer element to your game, I think it would have been better as an isolated experience. Of course, it is still too soon to make that judgment, I haven't beaten it yet. Just my impressions so far.

Though, kinda curious as to how different I'd feel if I didn't know these other players were actually people and thought they were NPCs.

• Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    Yeah, wait until you get closer to the end. I think that's where it really picks up.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Already planned on getting Journey Tuesday. It looks like it'd definitely be worth the 15 bucks.

This discussion has been closed.