As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[EAST] PAX East registration is live! - 3 Day, Friday and Saturday Passes Sold Out

• Options
    PraxisLokiPraxisLoki Registered User regular
    Katya wrote:
    FYI: apparently the registration system does not like it if you live in Washington, DC. I tried to register with two different credit cards like 20 times before i realized thats what was messing up the system. You have to switch to "Other" for your State/Country and then fill it in yourself. Annnoooying.

Posting to verify this as solving a problem I was having on my end as well. Thanks to Katya for posting the fix.

Was beginning to panic since I had already booked train tickets and a hotel.

• Options
    MasterRokkuMasterRokku Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    Frugus wrote:
    I've already booked my hotel but frankly I wasn't ready for this to hit - hopefully in a few weeks I'll have the $$ to pick up my tickets. They generally last until the end of the year don't they?

It's going to be a sell out for sure, but I don't recall when they start running short. There's also the fact that the event seems to get more popular with each year, so you have to be careful about holding out.

They do tend to give a warning on the PAX site before they run out.

Last year, badges lasted until February. I suppose due to them making it larger that could still happen, but PAX Prime 3 day badges sold out in 22 days. I am guessing somewhere between those two times is where we will lie ;)

The key is, if you don't *have* to wait, don't wait.

If the way hotel rooms at the Westin sold out this year is any indication then I would get my PAX East 3 day pass ASAP. It only took like 48 hours to sell out 2 bed rooms at the Westin.

PAX South Status: [x] Room @ The Marriot - [x] 3 day pass - [x] Vacation scheduled
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I should have the $$ in a few weeks - so not a major wait - just that we're buying more than one ticket this year and a bunch of expenses came up suddenly and ultimately a running car comes before pax tickets :(

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I should have the $$ in a few weeks - so not a major wait - just that we're buying more than one ticket this year and a bunch of expenses came up suddenly and ultimately a running car comes before pax tickets :(

I certainly can not offer any sort of guarantees, but considering the sheer size of East versus what I expect to be a slightly slower purchase rate, you are likely safe for at least 22 days (the prime sellout time) if not a little longer.

• Options
    FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    zerzhul wrote:
    Frugus wrote:
    I've already booked my hotel but frankly I wasn't ready for this to hit - hopefully in a few weeks I'll have the $$ to pick up my tickets. They generally last until the end of the year don't they?

It's going to be a sell out for sure, but I don't recall when they start running short. There's also the fact that the event seems to get more popular with each year, so you have to be careful about holding out.

Last year, badges lasted until February. I suppose due to them making it larger that could still happen, but PAX Prime 3 day badges sold out in 22 days. I am guessing somewhere between those two times is where we will lie ;)

If the way hotel rooms at the Westin sold out this year is any indication then I would get my PAX East 3 day pass ASAP. It only took like 48 hours to sell out 2 bed rooms at the Westin.
    The Westin can accommodate a lot less people than the BCEC. This point is up for debate because they will surely not sell 3 day passes exclusively, but it's a fair bet that only so many rooms have been reserved for PAXers. That's why the Westin was booked solid very quickly.

If we look in the past it always took a little while before the 3 day passes sold out for East. As in, at least two months.

None the less, there is room for debate as to when the passes will sell out. Keep in mind that we've only had two PAXEasts, both being at different locations and last year was bigger than the previous. PAX is not a simple community event anymore, it has grown way beyond that, and if the trend keeps going then it could sell out much faster. At the same time, Gabe tweeted that the event is going to be about 20% bigger than last year.

I say: Grab them early. The only warning you will have is the PAX site which usually tells people when they are about be sold out on certain passes, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Options
    DarkIDefenderDarkIDefender Registered User new member
    Got my 3 day pass, now for hotel and flight.

• Options
    goongoon MARegistered User regular
    OH YEAH!

Virtue and the grim consequences thereof.
  • Options
    MasterRokkuMasterRokku Registered User regular
    Frugus wrote:
    zerzhul wrote:
    Frugus wrote:

The Westin can accommodate a lot less people than the BCEC. This point is up for debate because they will surely not sell 3 day passes exclusively, but it's a fair bet that only so many rooms have been reserved for PAXers. That's why the Westin was booked solid very quickly.

If we look in the past it always took a little while before the 3 day passes sold out for East. As in, at least two months.

None the less, there is room for debate as to when the passes will sell out. Keep in mind that we've only had two PAXEasts, both being at different locations and last year was bigger than the previous. PAX is not a simple community event anymore, it has grown way beyond that, and if the trend keeps going then it could sell out much faster. At the same time, Gabe tweeted that the event is going to be about 20% bigger than last year.

I say: Grab them early. The only warning you will have is the PAX site which usually tells people when they are about be sold out on certain passes, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

I agree with you. I was more speaking to the relative speed as opposed to last year. Last year I booked my room at the Westin pretty late when you compare to how quickly they were gone this year. I don't think waiting 1 or ever 2 weeks is going to prevent anyone from getting a 3 day pass though.

PAX South Status: [x] Room @ The Marriot - [x] 3 day pass - [x] Vacation scheduled
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    Badge got

Also vacation just approved

Fuck yeah

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    PinkRangerPinkRanger Registered User regular
    Uhh!! I don't have the money yet! Several of my jobs owe me a bit of money, but I haven't got it in my account yet so I can't buy my pass. I hope it gets into my account within the next week so I can buy mine!

Cosplayer and a gamer.

Find me on twitter- @pink_4ssass1n
    and twitch- twitch.tv/pink_4ssass1n
  • Options
    polaris314polaris314 Registered User regular
    3-day secured! Now I just need to figure out travel.

steam_sig.png
    XBL/PSN-Polaris314/Twitter/DJ P0LARI5
  • Options
    krazykidkrazykid Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I tried to register for Pax East. It seems to be broken for the state of Massachusetts. I live in Arlington, MA. There are several Arlingtons in the US. The state drop down list oddly doesn't put a Massachusetts, US. Instead there seems to be a Bay State, US, and an Old Dominion, US. I tried to select OTHER, and tried to fill in both MA and Massachusetts. Both came up as invalid. Any ideas? Has anyone been able to register from Mass? Thanks.

krazykid on
    PJEpps3.png
  • Options
    MagnifiedXMagnifiedX [E] PC Security Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Issue verified, but seems to be specific to Arlington. Paging heels.

• Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    On it, there has been some weirdness with the "other" field and several areas.

< devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Oh man I might actually get to do this again this year! The costs are adding up fast though, I need to get 3 day passes for my wife and I soon, but there is so many other expenses to worry about on top of it, plus travel and hotel!

The train alliance sounds like a lot of fun though, and ends up being about the same cost as driving there, minus the stress and wear and tear on my vehicle.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    I'm in Mass and I haven't had an issue. Purchased less than an hour after the reg went live.

Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

• Options
    I Einnob II Einnob I Registered User regular
    I can confirm there is no issue in with Virginia, unless it is very recent

• Options
    mactromactro Registered User regular
    Having problems with Arlington, Virginia. All I see is Arlington, TX and so on.

You can't spell assassin without sin, and twice the ass!
  • Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    I had problems with MA as well, but I just picked Other and put MA in the text field. Worked fine from there.

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    I already told my boss that I am taking that weekend off.

My roommates and I are already planning on rooming together again, though one may not be joining us so we'll see.

Now I need to get the money to pay for the room, the badge, and the train.

• Options
    Doc RogersDoc Rogers Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Ordered my weekend pass the other day! Very excited. Now I just need to find someone to share a room with. Somewhere within walking distance of the convention. I've posted an ad, if you will, on the room share thread. Got my fingers crossed.

I will be driving up there from Florida. I like road trips and my grandparents live in NY so I can visit them before or after PAX East. I look forward to meeting many of you! Once again I am very excited as this will be my first PAX convention.

• Options
    MercurialGamerMercurialGamer Registered User new member
    Woo!!! 2x 3-Day passes ordered. Now to decide if I want to get a hotel room in the city or not. Last year we drove every day since we live less then 20 miles away. But it just seemed like a really really really long dribe every night last year. But I am willing to make a sacrifice and drive again this year if it means opening up a room for another PAX goer and saving a few hundred dollars. ;) The sacrifices I make for my fellow gamers.

• Options
    RachelkittenRachelkitten PMS_KTN Broomfield, CORegistered User regular
    My Colorado friends are having issues with Colorado dropping down as well. But I told them to refresh and it seems to get better. Just letting you know :-)

Pax East 2012 checklist: 3 Day Pass [X] Accomodations [X] Travel [X] Time Off [X]
    Twitter: KTNPWNS_PMS
  • Options
    TabooPhantasyTabooPhantasy Registered User regular
    Got my 3-day pass!

~Taboo
    BH11Fnk.png
  • Options
    TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    My friend and I are going for 2 PAXs in a row! Both ordered our 3-day passes.

• Options
    JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    Ordered my three day pass. They gave a hint of the front page that if you are considering getting the 3-day you should really think about aka they are going to sell out soon.

• Options
    fanguadfanguad Registered User new member
    krazykid wrote:
    I tried to register for Pax East. It seems to be broken for the state of Massachusetts. I live in Arlington, MA. There are several Arlingtons in the US. The state drop down list oddly doesn't put a Massachusetts, US. Instead there seems to be a Bay State, US, and an Old Dominion, US. I tried to select OTHER, and tried to fill in both MA and Massachusetts. Both came up as invalid. Any ideas? Has anyone been able to register from Mass? Thanks.

I had this exact same problem. In addition to a couple of real states that have Arlington in them, it included "Bay State" and "Old Dominion." I thought it was just being clever so I picked Bay State. My credit card wouldn't process until I selected OTHER, then filled in MA manually. Whoever is in charge of the site ought to fix that - you're going to be getting a lot of registrations from MA.

The address portion has the same bit of Javascript, and Bay State was valid for that... so my mailing address came out as "Arlington, Bay State 00000 United States."

• Options
    fanguad wrote:
    krazykid wrote:

I had this exact same problem. In addition to a couple of real states that have Arlington in them, it included "Bay State" and "Old Dominion." I thought it was just being clever so I picked Bay State. My credit card wouldn't process until I selected OTHER, then filled in MA manually. Whoever is in charge of the site ought to fix that - you're going to be getting a lot of registrations from MA.

The address portion has the same bit of Javascript, and Bay State was valid for that... so my mailing address came out as "Arlington, Bay State 00000 United States."

Did you have this recently? or around the same time as the previous poster (almost a month ago)?

• Options
    DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    Any updated forecasts about when 3-days are going to sell out? I've been waiting to get a decent paycheck...

• Options
    MrArcysMrArcys Cincinnati, OHRegistered User regular
    DanUNG wrote:
    Any updated forecasts about when 3-days are going to sell out? I've been waiting to get a decent paycheck...

Your best bet is to follow @Official_PAX.

PAX East 2013: [ ] Badge // [X] Hotel // [ ] Travel // [ ] Time Off
    Twitter: @MrArcys
  • Options
    DanUNG wrote:

from the faq thread:
    zerzhul wrote:
    Hello everybody,

Is there any sort of estimate as of yet on when 3-Day Passes may be sold out? I know I'll be able to procure the dough sure enough in about a week, so I'm just making sure I'm not cutting it too close. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys!

Typically there's an official announcement when there's less than a week or so worth of passes left. No news means it's not *too* close yet. Keep an eye on http://twitter.com/official_pax

• Options
    edited January 2012
    90% of 3 day badges are SOLD OUT

source: http://penny-arcade.com/2012/01/06/pax-east7

zerzhul on
  • Options
    aweisbergaweisberg Registered User regular
    Wow, I had no idea this went live until today. I almost didn't get a 3-day badge for the wife and myself!

• Options
    NamttamNamttam Registered User new member
    edited January 2012
    Allow me to be the first to say that I am sad because PAX East has now sold out of their 3-day badges. I had just talked my girlfriend into agreeing to go. I guess PAX will have to be a day trip this year. :cry:

Namttam on
  • Options
    purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    Oh Fudge. Stupid bills.Wonder if I will be able to go this year or not at all. Wish they did lay a way.

• Options
    LollerskateDJLollerskateDJ Registered User regular
    Well there are people that will be selling on ebay for a crazy amount.

PAX EAST 2012 Status: [X] Confirmed for East [X] Badges [X]Money
    PAX East 2012 Shape-a-thon--Team Twitter Spam [LITE] -- Thinspiration!
    OMG Follow me! @LollerskateDJ
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular

buying passes from anywhere but the pax site is STRONGLY discouraged after pax prime's large-scale forgery issue. anyone who chooses to buy a pass through ebay or any other non-official means should know they are running a very real risk of buying a fake pass that will be confiscated at the event.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    LollerskateDJLollerskateDJ Registered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote:

buying passes from anywhere but the pax site is STRONGLY discouraged after pax prime's large-scale forgery issue. anyone who chooses to buy a pass through ebay or any other non-official means should know they are running a very real risk of buying a fake pass that will be confiscated at the event.

This is extremely true. :)

PAX EAST 2012 Status: [X] Confirmed for East [X] Badges [X]Money
    PAX East 2012 Shape-a-thon--Team Twitter Spam [LITE] -- Thinspiration!
    OMG Follow me! @LollerskateDJ
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    That being said if you are going to do a transaction like that, and I am not advising or advocating that, but if you are. There are some common sense practices to be observed.

1st they don't ship passes out till close to PAX so trying to buy one noew is fruitless. 2nd in most cases ebay is a more secure way of delivering passes, however craigslist in this case might be a more secure venue because you can have them meet you at BCEC, 3rd get some information about the person you are doing business with. A license plate, phone number really anything you can use so that they know you know who they are. 4th If you can find an enforcer, ask them very very nicely to check the badge.

Now that is to say there are not going to be badges available. There are some people who are buying badges for boyfriends/husbands or girlfriends/wives, and those relationships may not last, or work may decide to fuck you like the fist of an angry god, sick children, grounded children accidents etc. Things happen, <edited for compliance by zepherin>

zepherin on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    There will be no pass selling on the forums anymore, see other post for details. :)

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels