As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] “My God,” the asari Council member said feelingly.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    she shoots lasers out of there

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    They did it with Mission in KotOR

it was weird how bioware fans really wanted to romance her too

And don't forget Merrill. I mean.. I'm sure DA2 had lore explaining that she was comfortably of age and only looked like she was 14 because she was an elf. That, or she turned legal between Act 1 and Act 2 and Hawke was just biding her time. Could go either way, really.

The point is that many, many BioWare fans got their ephebophiliac perv on with her.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    -Tal wrote:
    If we're going to romance anything it should be this
    299930c453b513d817fdbbdac43849eb.jpg

Nah she's already with that Turien Elcor thing beside her

Shepard doesn't have a chance
    Actually I think the husk designs are all pretty good, the turian/elcor husk looking extremely creepy. However, the asari jusk doesn't really scare me. It's a naked body with a deformed skull on top, nothing more. No creepy human-husk eyes and the facial expression of a zombie or the frankenstein-appeal of the turian/elcor combination, or the style of the praetorian with dozens of human heads visible inside it. I think the problem is the horns. They remind me way too much of the Qunari from Dragon Age 2. Besides, Asari don't have horns. I know it's supposed to be their "head-tentacles" deformed but the dark brown color and their form pointing upwards makes them look just like horns.

Only spoilers in relation to the picture, not the Mass Effect 3 plot or anything.

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    htm wrote:

And don't forget Merrill. I mean.. I'm sure DA2 had lore explaining that she was comfortably of age and only looked like she was 14 because she was an elf. That, or she turned legal between Act 1 and Act 2 and Hawke was just biding her time. Could go either way, really.

The point is that many, many BioWare fans got their ephebophiliac perv on with her.

You know I hear this all the time but I never really got that vibe from her like I did Tali, probably because she was clearly an adult back in the first game and even in DA2 seemed about the same age as Bethany

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote:
    htm wrote:

You know I hear this all the time but I never really got that vibe from her like I did Tali, probably because she was clearly an adult back in the first game and even in DA2 seemed about the same age as Bethany

Merrill was definitley an adult. A naive dork, but an adult.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    And wait a fucking second, don't asari worship a godess? Why would one say my god, in any way, even feelingly?

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:
    Yeah. I think the main problem with the Infiltrator was that sans Incinerate they were just the Soldier but not as good. Cloak is pretty underutilized as far as their default gameplay strategy goes(and only becomes fun when you add in the shotgun) and AR is actually better for sniping.

Eh. Cloak's a fantastic ability already. It's amazingly versatile, allowing you to play super-aggressively, even on Insanity, by capitalizing on the one-shot-kill potential of the Widow, while remaining an effective defensive tool, as well. Is a heavily-armoured Krogan about to bust up your shit? A single cloaked headshot's probably enough to strip those defenses, so you can coordinate a takedown. Having trouble with husk swarms and the praetorian on Horizon? Cloak up and haul ass to the other side of the map, to give yourself some breathing room. I vastly prefer Infiltrator to Soldier, man. But I also think Soldier's super duper boring.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    And wait a fucking second, don't asari worship a godess? Why would one say my god, in any way, even feelingly?
    Human dad, maybe?

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sorce wrote:
    Human dad, maybe?

Are humans even religous in Mass Effect? After all, it takes place quite a bit into the future.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Sorce wrote:
    Human dad, maybe?

Are humans even religous in Mass Effect? After all, it takes place quite a bit into the future.
    ashley is

edit: in any case the asari councilor is probably 500 years old at least so yeah the book that uses the word "feelingly" is also not terribly consistent with canon

Elendil on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    So I just started ME2 back up for my last run which I'll bring into ME3. I installed all the DLC I haven't played yet, and I saw that there was a new one. Overlord? Is that worth it? I already have Firewalker, Kasumi (Just did that last night), Shadow Broker and Arrival.

I'm playing Hardcore with an Engineer, and man that bot is useful. Grabs aggro right quick and I shoot them in the back! Works out really well!

• Options
    Overlord is actually older than that. You must have missed it. It's quite good. It doesn't move the plot along or give new characters or weapons or anything, but it's a very good sequence of missions and a particular joy if you're playing engineer.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote:
    Dragkonias wrote:
    Yeah. I think the main problem with the Infiltrator was that sans Incinerate they were just the Soldier but not as good. Cloak is pretty underutilized as far as their default gameplay strategy goes(and only becomes fun when you add in the shotgun) and AR is actually better for sniping.

Eh. Cloak's a fantastic ability already. It's amazingly versatile, allowing you to play super-aggressively, even on Insanity, by capitalizing on the one-shot-kill potential of the Widow, while remaining an effective defensive tool, as well. Is a heavily-armoured Krogan about to bust up your shit? A single cloaked headshot's probably enough to strip those defenses, so you can coordinate a takedown. Having trouble with husk swarms and the praetorian on Horizon? Cloak up and haul ass to the other side of the map, to give yourself some breathing room. I vastly prefer Infiltrator to Soldier, man. But I also think Soldier's super duper boring.

I already know about all that stuff. And I would say it's decent at best. Really, the fact that it was down after one shot pretty much just made it into a one-shot power boost...which Soldier does but better. And while it was fun being able to run away from a troublesome situation I would say there were a handful of times that I really needed to do it.

So, yeah, it does all those things. But it still could have been better in its implementation.

• Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I dunno, man. Just because Adrenaline Rush is too good doesn't necessarily mean Cloak needs a buff.

That's just power creep.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I agree that the soldier is probably better from a metrics standpoint. Incinerate/hacking are cool but don't really compare to soldier's inherent bonuses.

But I played a soldier and I played an infiltrator, and I had a lot more fun on my infiltrator. Even if the soldier pumps out more damage, I don't find it to be a big deal when both classes do more than enough to be able to basically solo on insanity. Plus being able to just take the head off a harbinger when you want to is neat.

ed: I mean, everything you can do with cloak, you can basically do equally well with adrenaline rush. The only thing I guess you can't use AR for is to dump aggro from boss enemies, but that's not a big deal really.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited January 2012

That was Dox's point about misinformation, awful prose aside.

I liked the part where he was looking at a list of in-game biotic powers and trying to describe them in layman's brief paraphrase, then just gives up for warp. 'You had to have a proven ability to throw, pin, or block objects. Or to use spatial distortion to destroy targets with rapidly shifting mass effect fields."

As the secret squadmate stuff:
    I know Garrus was nominally flagged as secret, as well as Legion, in ME2 materials, so are these just normal squadmates? Because whenever I see info that one of them might be tech, I think 'prothean dlc', but DLC is probably considered separately.

Also, I don't think the roughly 16-year old autistic girl is going to be a squadmate. I have a hard time convincing myself it'd be Aria, too, even though that would be awesome, because she's so much into her own scheme it just seems she'd more likely be a temporary squadmate at best for reclaiming Omega.

Also alsooooo, on power-focused runs:
    @PatrickWeekes PatrickWeekes
    @jgriffee with right equipment and power selection, you can have absurdly low recharge times. I think it's very viable.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    milk ducks wrote:
    I dunno, man. Just because Adrenaline Rush is too good doesn't necessarily mean Cloak needs a buff.

That's just power creep.
    The problem with Cloak isn't that it's not as good as Adrenaline Rush, it's that it's kind of mediocre in general. It's far and away the weakest of the six class exclusive powers. The ability to reposition is largely redundant when you've got a sniper rifle. The cooldown is way too long for Assassination Cloak to be anything but an occasional damage spike on particularly tough enemies. You can't hit and run, only hit or run. It can be used to run, but you're still vulnerable and need to wait not only the duration of the cloak to recover, but also the normal regen period on top of that. I've played Infiltrator many times, but I've never figured out much of a use for Cloak.

If Cloak's cooldown is less restrictive in ME3, and the game has a much greater emphasis on moving from cover to cover as I've heard, it'll probably be pretty good. But as of ME2, only the sniper time dilation and the general quality of sniper rifles really make the class particularly fun.

Elendil on
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote:
    If we're going to romance anything it should be this
    299930c453b513d817fdbbdac43849eb.jpg

Nah she's already with that Turien Elcor thing beside her

Shepard doesn't have a chance
    Actually I think the husk designs are all pretty good, the turian/elcor husk looking extremely creepy. However, the asari jusk doesn't really scare me. It's a naked body with a deformed skull on top, nothing more. No creepy human-husk eyes and the facial expression of a zombie or the frankenstein-appeal of the turian/elcor combination, or the style of the praetorian with dozens of human heads visible inside it. I think the problem is the horns. They remind me way too much of the Qunari from Dragon Age 2. Besides, Asari don't have horns. I know it's supposed to be their "head-tentacles" deformed but the dark brown color and their form pointing upwards makes them look just like horns.

Only spoilers in relation to the picture, not the Mass Effect 3 plot or anything.
    So the fact that she's pregnant, and that pregnancy plays into the combat, doesn't horrify you out at all?

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I really hate enemies eith exploding stomaches. So annoying to shoot and something always flies out.

• Options

That was Dox's point about misinformation, awful prose aside.

I liked the part where he was looking at a list of in-game biotic powers and trying to describe them in layman's brief paraphrase, then just gives up for warp. 'You had to have a proven ability to throw, pin, or block objects. Or to use spatial distortion to destroy targets with rapidly shifting mass effect fields."

As the secret squadmate stuff:
    I know Garrus was nominally flagged as secret, as well as Legion, in ME2 materials, so are these just normal squadmates? Because whenever I see info that one of them might be tech, I think 'prothean dlc', but DLC is probably considered separately.

Also, I don't think the roughly 16-year old autistic girl is going to be a squadmate. I have a hard time convincing myself it'd be Aria, too, even though that would be awesome, because she's so much into her own scheme it just seems she'd more likely be a temporary squadmate at best for reclaiming Omega.

Also alsooooo, on power-focused runs:
    @PatrickWeekes PatrickWeekes
    @jgriffee with right equipment and power selection, you can have absurdly low recharge times. I think it's very viable.

Got an error in your first twitter quote:

@PatrickWeekes How would you say this game plays for folks (like, say, me) who live in the ability wheel and try avoiding the guns?

steam_sig.png

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    -Tal wrote:
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Is that...

Is that a husk Volus to the right?

Best game ever.

looks more like
    a rachni husk

Ah, so it is.

Pity.

It's going to be so gratifying playing the game having squashed those little roaches in ME1.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I believe in the Rachni Queen

she will somehow not be indoctrinated despite the fact that it's occurred at least once before and also there are pictures of indoctrinated rachni

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Sorce wrote:
    Human dad, maybe?

Because religions always magically disappear, IN THE FUTURE! Sci-fi writers sure love easy evangelism.

They tried a vague, "Prothean discovery messed up Earth's religions" angle in Revelations which is dumb for several reasons...

which is pretty much ignored in the games proper. Basically, most people are secular with smaller, but still very much alive segments of
    Christianity, Judaism, and Zen Buddhism Confucianism. I can't fathom Islam having disappeared either.

So, it's less common, but not THAT uncommon.

I am disappointed at the lack of space Mormons however, because if there's anyone crazy-awesome enough to hurl themselves into the void of space looking to start a new colony, it'd be them.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    And even then today there are people will may follow religions because of the religions values and not so much because of the mythology.

On power cooldown:

I'm really excited about this. My main problem with the Adept in ME2 was that after warp-bombing yourself your powers would be down for a decent amount of time. It wasn't too bad if you brought people like Thane/Miranda along to warp while you spammed Singularity but I felt it did take away from you feeling like a one man biotic army at times.

So. I really like that carrying fewer weapons will reduce cooldown. Though I'm sure Adepts will probably have a lower carry limit than everyone else to start. That being said I'll probably only run around with a pistol and a SMG.

Also...don't biotics get the ability to reduce their cooldown even more after doing a combo? If that's the case warp bombs all day.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    So they ditched universal cooldown? That's good news.

Makes me wonder though. If Shepard keeps most of his powers from ME2, how are they going to balance that in?

• Options
    edited January 2012
    They didn't ditch universal cooldown so much as they've given you multiple ways to get around it.

Like having a low carry weight(carrying fewer or more than likely less powerful weapons) gives you a cooldown reduction bonus.

Multiple classes also have special abilities that reduce or even negate cooldown when special conditions are met.

Stuff like that.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    oh right, there's a space pope in mass effect, too

he was assassinated by cerberus

• Options
    Sorce wrote:
    Human dad, maybe?

Because religions always magically disappear, IN THE FUTURE! Sci-fi writers sure love easy evangelism.

They tried a vague, "Prothean discovery messed up Earth's religions" angle in Revelations which is dumb for several reasons...

which is pretty much ignored in the games proper. Basically, most people are secular with smaller, but still very much alive segments of
    Christianity, Judaism, and Zen Buddhism Confucianism. I can't fathom Islam having disappeared either.

So, it's less common, but not THAT uncommon.

I am disappointed at the lack of space Mormons however, because if there's anyone crazy-awesome enough to hurl themselves into the void of space looking to start a new colony, it'd be them.

Well I wasn't referring to other Sci-fi material, I just thought myself that given enough time religion would disappear entirely but that's waaay off topic. Just know that I respect other religions so long as they respect my views.

On-topic: Cooldown bonuses under certain conditions? Like what, for example? As it looks I'm gonna go for an Engineer power-only/mostly power run and that would greatly improve my odds of success.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    On-topic: Cooldown bonuses under certain conditions? Like what, for example? As it looks I'm gonna go for an Engineer power-only/mostly power run and that would greatly improve my odds of success.
    Adept gets a bonus for comboing biotics, Sentinel gets one for alternating between tech and biotics. The vanguard's Nova skill has no cooldown.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Well...from what I've been reading.

Adepts get cooldown bonuses for biotic combos(stuff like pull+warp, pull+throw, etc)

Sentinels get bonuses for switching between biotic and tech powers (I'm guessing using warp then overload or some such)

Vanguards: Nova seems to have a mutation where it can reduce the cooldown timer on your other moves and it has no cooldown itself, instead draining your barriers. They also have an ability that lowers your cooldown if you kill someone with a heavy melee attack.

Not so sure about anyone else, and this info is still in-development stuff so not sure how much of it is still around. But it gives you an idea of what they're planning.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    So they ditched universal cooldown? That's good news.

Makes me wonder though. If Shepard keeps most of his powers from ME2, how are they going to balance that in?

Hmm... what about switching classes? Is that going to be an option at the beginning?

• Options
    edited January 2012
    You can switch classes. You'll just carry over your level.

Although I am curious as to how different in power a non-import and import are going to be. I wonder if non-imports will start off at like level 25?

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Actually I thought if you switch classes you start at level 15(or was that level 1)? While if you keep the same class you start at whatever level you were at.

Unless they've changed that without me knowing.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I'm gonna play ME3 the way I played the first two: as a straight up soldier who defeats the forces of the galaxy and universe through sheer will. And bullets. So many bullets.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote:
    Actually I thought if you switch classes you start at level 15(or was that level 1)? While if you keep the same class you start at whatever level you were at.

Unless they've changed that without me knowing.
    I don't know. I can't stay I've heard anything that specific.

I hope that isn't how it works. It'd be kind of annoying.

• Options
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Elendil on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Also some new ME3 info from recent game mag. Spoilerish stuff is spoilered. Taken from the Bioware Social site.

-Mining is gone, replaced by search and rescue missions

-Cutscenes are drastically affected by your past decisions and narrative.

-(Example (spoiler) -
    was with a wounded VS and how Shep carries them (more tender if they had a romance with them, more professional if not in romance))

-The movement system is very refined, smooth and more "free-flowing"

-The difficultly has been increased via better enemy AI and level design

-Spoiler: About saving/not saving Council. And giving TIM the base.
    If the council is dead in ME3 then they'll be reluctant to help Earth when Shepard first arrives.

Kept the base? TIM will look a little more kindly to you while the VS will not.

Shepard will travel from Earth then to Mars then to the Citadel.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    My order will be...

1st(Main male): Paragon Vanguard, Romanced Ash and didn't cheat, Saved Council, Destroyed Base.
    2nd(Main female): Renegade Infiltrator, Romanced Kaiden and didn't cheat, Let Council die, Destroyed Base.
    3rd(Female): Paragade Adept, Romanced Jacob, Let Council die, Destroyed Base.
    4th(Male): Paragon Sentinel, Romanced Jack, Saved Council, Destroyed Base.

And a bunch of others lying around. Mostly made just to play with the other classes/do other stuff and see what happens.

Also...I just really...really think giving Cerberus the base is a bad idea. I think I gave it to them on a few just to see what happens.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote:
    Overlord is actually older than that. You must have missed it. It's quite good. It doesn't move the plot along or give new characters or weapons or anything, but it's a very good sequence of missions and a particular joy if you're playing engineer.

No kidding? Huh, I must have missed it! Thanks! I'll pick it up.