As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] “My God,” the asari Council member said feelingly.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Or you could just load an earlier save.
    -Tal wrote:
    and since he works for the biggest check, I wouldn't be surprised if he got hired by Cerberus again unless he's loyal to you

I socked him in the face! How can he not be loyal to me?

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Zaeed's a mercenary, yeah, but he's pretty level-headed.

I doubt he would be comfortable working for Cerberus considering their intentions in ME3.

• Options
    htmhtm Registered User regular
    So I remember reading that sniper rifle damage upgrades don't apply to the Incisor, which makes it lame for Shepard; but that in spite of that, it's great for squad mates who can snipe. Is that actually true? And does it remain true late in the game (i.e. after you've obtained four or five sniper rifle damage upgrades)?

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    Dragkonias wrote:
    ...I'm not talking about a NG+. I'm talking about being able to continue the game without a NG+

Well from what we've heard so far, there is no post-game "roam around and do side-quests" option for ME3.

i still hope there's an extended ending sequence with a bit of a denouement

that's one of the things i really liked about ME2

you got to go around and talk to people etc.

basically decompress and get some closure

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    htm wrote:
    So I remember reading that sniper rifle damage upgrades don't apply to the Incisor, which makes it lame for Shepard; but that in spite of that, it's great for squad mates who can snipe. Is that actually true? And does it remain true late in the game (i.e. after you've obtained four or five sniper rifle damage upgrades)?
    The Incisor isn't very good for Shepard in general. I don't know if that thing about the damage boosts is true or not, but in my opinion it doesn't matter. The gun expels more ammo per shot than it picks up per clip. The delay on the three shots is enough that one or more of the shots tends to miss. The Mantis is a solid weapon and plenty to hold you over until you pick up the Viper or Widow.

The Incisor is, however, an improbably good squadmate weapon, as neither of those problems apply to them (they never seem to miss). I don't know if the actual damage on it is bugged for them, but you can stick it in the hands of Thane or Zaeed with maxed weapon damage passives and watch them steal your kills.

Elendil on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    i've watched thane take out harbinger BY HIMSELF using the incisor

it's guddamn ridiculous.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Squadmates with incisors is like

why are you here Shepard
    that's one of the things i really liked about ME2

you got to go around and talk to people etc.

basically decompress and get some closure

"Why the hell did you keep the base, Shepard. That was really dumb." x12

I did like listening to crewmates, though. I hope some of our named crew defect to Alliance so they can stick around the SSV SR-2.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    That reminds me: I checked something else off my ME2 bucket list yesterday. I killed a batarian by firing the Widow from the hip. He popped out from a corner I thought was clear while I was in the middle repositioning, my power is on cooldown, and I pause and try to figure out what to do.

Oh, yeah, I'm holding a cannon.

SCOPED AND DROPPED.

• Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    You know what can drive a man insane? Playing through ME2's prologue, only to have the game freeze on the character creation screen.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. I really hope we get the character creation before the opening this time.

• Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    Ad astra wrote:
    You know what can drive a man insane? Playing through ME2's prologue, only to have the game freeze on the character creation screen.

If Bioware learned anything from fan feedback I hope that damned unskippable event is one of them. I don't want to have to sit through a long opening sequence for every character. I have lots.

• Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    The best bit is that people found a skip intro option in the game files
    it just wasn't implemented.

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Dox the PI wrote:

If I remember right, that was because it was glitchy. Did things like switching gender for imports.

• Options
    Ad astraAd astra Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Dox the PI wrote:

What.

They had an option to skip the intro, and they didn't implement it... whyyyy? Whyyyy?

It would've been such a simple thing. I guess they must have realllly wanted us to watch that intro.

EDIT:
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Dox the PI wrote:

If I remember right, that was because it was glitchy. Did things like switching gender for imports.

Okay, I guess that makes it more acceptable... still doesn't dampen my rage when it freezes at the creation screen.

Ad astra on
  • Options
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Dox the PI wrote:

That sounds more like an awesome feature to me.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    double post :/

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    "I noticed some upgrades." :winky:
    Quads.
    Both genders.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    the incisor is nice for squadmates because they don't actually know how to snipe. But since their ammo is limitless and the rate of fire on the incisor is fairly high, they turn the it into kind of a long-range assault rifle. In addition to doing good damage, it has the nice side effect of seeming to keep them backed off.

apparently the incisor is bugged and does more damage than its supposed to when squadmates use it, but I'm not sure if this is so much a bug as it is the incisor is a good fit for squadmates' AI. It works nicely with their combination of dumb shot selection but unerring accuracy.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Actually. I believe squadmates are programmed to always go for headshots with the sniper rifles. Or at least mostly.

And their accuracy is pretty much dead on.

That's why they're so good with the Incisor. They can pretty much make all three shots hit in the same spot. And if they're aiming for critical spots that is a lot of damage.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't think Legion ever connected a body shot with his Widow that I've seen. Missing is another matter of course.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Speaking of squaddie AI. I really hope they fixed how they use shotguns.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Daris wrote:
    Ad astra wrote:

If Bioware learned anything from fan feedback I hope that damned unskippable event is one of them. I don't want to have to sit through a long opening sequence for every character. I have lots.

Bioware loves to pile boring asinine shit at the beginning of the game. At least it's better than Candlekeep or *shudder* Irenicus' Dungeon.

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Well the opening scene is cool and except for the couple of times like Ad astra when my game crashed after it I usually don't mind sitting through it

Freedoms Progress on the other hand...

• Options
    The opening scene is super cool and I loved it the first time I played it. Now I want it to die in a fire.

Just give me an option to skip the cinematics. Or like the entire thing maybe. After the first viewing you could put like "Press F1 to skip the intro."

• Options
    The ME3 intro looks like it gets to the point a lot faster at least.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    ChaosHat wrote:
    Just give me an option to skip the cinematics. Or like the entire thing maybe. After the first viewing you could put like "Press F1 to skip the intro."

Since I take it that means you're on PC, you can find the movie files to rename and thus skip 70% of the intro (except the run-through-ship part) in the OP. An inconvenient fix, but helpful!

Also that one Ilium take-off or landing scene that is unskippable for some reason.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Well. I think most people are looking at the intro for ME3 more than the one for ME2...

Wooo...6 more weeks before game release!

4 more weeks before Gametrailers spoils the ending!

• Options
    Yeah, but you'll be able to do the same with ME3 if they're still unskippable. Just find the .bik files named for the intro.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    the worst part of the intro is the interactive part, other wise you could just go do something else for a few minutes

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    The Widow is a pretty good sniper rifle, though 1 shot per clip is rather annoying. Should I take the Krogun or Revenant on my Insanity run? Also, how do I tell squaddies to shoot enemies, rather than using powers on them?

• Options
    edited January 2012
    You use the squadmate-specific command (Q or E, or whatever equivalent on 360) that you use to make them move, just while targeting an enemy instead of a spot.

Weapon depends on class and playstyle. A vanguard who can nail the reload trick and is on a higher difficulty where the damage won't be wasted can do well with the krogun. A soldier can do far better with the Viper rather than the Widow, while the Revenant is amazing in slow-mo. An infiltrator has little reason not to take the Widow unless going for a skirmisher run. Since you have all three as options I'll assume you mean soldier, in which case I'd say the Right Rev.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    ChaosHat wrote:

Since I take it that means you're on PC, you can find the movie files to rename and thus skip 70% of the intro (except the run-through-ship part) in the OP. An inconvenient fix, but helpful!

Also that one Ilium take-off or landing scene that is unskippable for some reason.

I do this, I just think that by now people would think that large unskippable cutscenes or...interactive movie events would be boring on multiple play throughs.

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    You use the squadmate-specific command (Q or E, or whatever equivalent on 360) that you use to make them move, just while targeting an enemy instead of a spot.

Weapon depends on class and playstyle. A vanguard who can nail the reload trick and is on a higher difficulty where the damage won't be wasted can do well with the krogun. A soldier can do far better with the Viper rather than the Widow, while the Revenant is amazing in slow-mo. An infiltrator has little reason not to take the Widow unless going for a skirmisher run. Since you have all three as options I'll assume you mean soldier, in which case I'd say the Right Rev.

Infiltrator with a shotgun is totally worth passing up on the widow for

it went from my least favourite class to something that was pretty damn fun

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    I'd rather have DLC that lets you play a sidestory as someone other than Shepard. New powers, interwoven story, something unique.

Zaeed's crazy weekend is what I'm thinkin.

Even a space combat mini-game would be interesting.

No. No. NO.

Mass Effect is Shepard's story.

Do not take me out of Shepard's shoes or I will hurt you.

Honestly, that was one of my major complaints with KOTOR2. Goddammit, no, I don't care what each party member is doing. Leave me with my comfortable skillset.

• Options
    I haven't tried shotgun infiltrator yet, but I find skirmishing with the SMG way more fun than sniping from the back, so it's on my list. Eventually.

Also, I saw this tweet about something I'd never heard of and which was being axed, then looked up what it did and now I'm sad:
    Honor16 Sage
    @EricFagnan Did you guys really remove Overpower for the Adept :O?

Eric Fagnan
    @Honor16 yes it wasn't working out as well as we wanted.

Per someone's claim on the leaked demo:
    OVerpower lasts around 20 seconds and the cooldowns are at least halved. There is an affect, yes, you glow the usual blue that signifies biotics. An evolution of it is awesome, basically it makes the first power you use not start a cooldown so you can fire off 2 abilities instantly.

D:

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    See...

...That power sounds awesome.

Awesome and horribly broken.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Just bringing some closure to the series. Adept was broken and great in ME1, so it'll be broken and great in ME3.

• Options
    Well...it was removed. Unless they changed their power again I think they've got a grenade now.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    They should make that a hidden power that triggers when you're in a cloud of red sand. Edit: Goddamnit now I'm going to be sad that this isn't a real thing. I wish that thought never occurred to me.

And yeah, looking at the power list it looks like their best option is a class evolution that reduces cooldown when a biotic combo is used. Less impressive (at least, with the uncertain x%; could be amazing).

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Dragkonias on