As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] “My God,” the asari Council member said feelingly.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    And an even earlier tweet, kind of funny if Overpower is the one in question:
    @EricFagnan Eric Fagnan
    @Honor16 well the Adept will be able to dish out a lot more damage with powers this time. New power does tons of damage. OP right now.

I'm also curious what the change was that had infiltrators OP.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote:
    Yay! Space magic deserves nothing more than being purged in righteous fire from a Revenant.

The purpose of space magic is to quickly and efficiently get enemies in front of your shotgun.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    i would exchange all of Charge's negligible damage for a quicker cooldown

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    You use the squadmate-specific command (Q or E, or whatever equivalent on 360) that you use to make them move, just while targeting an enemy instead of a spot.
    Oh. Hah. Duh.
    Weapon depends on class and playstyle. A vanguard who can nail the reload trick and is on a higher difficulty where the damage won't be wasted can do well with the krogun. A soldier can do far better with the Viper rather than the Widow, while the Revenant is amazing in slow-mo. An infiltrator has little reason not to take the Widow unless going for a skirmisher run. Since you have all three as options I'll assume you mean soldier, in which case I'd say the Right Rev.
    I should have specified, but yeah, soldier. Thanks!

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited January 2012

Can't wait for ME3 Insanity.]

Oh yeah...

http://blog.bioware.com/2012/01/23/mass-effect-deception-excerpt/

Free 50-page excerpt from the next ME3 novel for anyone interested.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    Jesus this guy needs an editor

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Prologue: On the Planet Khar'Shan

I like this already

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Dox the PI wrote:
    Jesus this guy needs an editor

I think he just needs to stop writing to be honest

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Slightly off-topic, but how do you become eligible for the free stuff for ME3 through the Kingdoms of Amalur demo?

Do I just need to run it through Origin, finish it, or what?

• Options
    ok yeah well this prose is kinda well bad

but I want to keep reading because I know Kai Leng is going to fuck up some Batarians

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Slightly off-topic, but how do you become eligible for the free stuff for ME3 through the Kingdoms of Amalur demo?

It ties itself to whatever system and EA account you're using.

For the gun I believe you just have to play the game til you get the timer.

For the armor you have to play until the timer goes to 0.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular

just sign into your EA account when you start it up.

then, play the prologue, wait until you get to the open world area, then do something else for an hour.

that should unlock everything.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Heh, I was about to post that same excerpt. Not finished with it yet, but:
    Many weeks of effort had been required to track the object from the point where it had been stolen to the batarian homeworld and the ancient city of Thondu. There were lots of things Kai Leng didn't like about the place, including the crowded streets, the asymmetrical architecture, and the food. But most of all he didn't like the batarians themselves.

Even if Kai Leng is an asshole, at least he has a few positive trai-
    Not because so many of them were pirates, slavers, but because they were aliens and therefore a threat to the human race.

Nevermind.
    Not the Leviathan of Dis, btw. Plus, new author, same stylelessly utilitarian writing. Special bonus of basic background exposition dump one level about "As you know, Anderson..."

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    But most of all he didn't like the batarians themselves. Not because so many of them were pirates, slavers, but because they were aliens and therefore a threat to the human race.

take notes, people

edit: SOUNDS PLUUUUUUSHHHHHHHHHHH

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

just sign into your EA account when you start it up.

then, play the prologue, wait until you get to the open world area, then do something else for an hour.

that should unlock everything.

Honestly, I enjoyed it. Not great, but I'd get it for $10 on Steam. Oh wait, it will never be on Steam, and EA doesn't know what sales are. I guess I won't be getting it, then.

• Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    Well I gave up

it actually hurts to read something written that badly

• Options
    isn't Khar'shan supposed to be like space North Korea

why is there an auction of valuable artifacts attended by multiple alien races

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Yeah. His writing actually makes the other guy look decent.

But I'll probably still read it because I'm that much of a whore.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Well I gave up

This was my reaction to every single Mass Effect novel.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I honestly don't understand how these people make money writing like high schoolers. It seems like these trade paperback guys are like literary mercenaries, getting picked up to schlock out some material for one franchise or another.
    -Tal wrote:
    edit: SOUNDS PLUUUUUUSHHHHHHHHHHH

If you had just pasted whatever alien gibberish you get when copying from Scribd without checking, you'd have won. And spoken batarian, like as not. :o
    Honestly, I enjoyed it. Not great, but I'd get it for $10 on Steam. Oh wait, it will never be on Steam, and EA doesn't know what sales are. I guess I won't be getting it, then.

It's not made by EA, just partnered with them, so it is on Steam as of right now, as is the demo.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    Orca wrote:
    Well I gave up

This was my reaction to every single Mass Effect novel.

Books like this give me hope that one day I can make it as a professional writer.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    I honestly don't understand how these people make money writing like high schoolers. It seems like these trade paperback guys are like literary mercenaries, getting picked up to schlock out some material for one franchise or another.

Have you ever looked at the New York Times best sellers list?

I would say most things on those list are rarely what I would call quality writing unless Oprah recommended it.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Didn't this guy write The Flood, AKA "The crappy Halo novel"?

(As opposed to most of the others, which are the "decent enough if you just want something to read in a hurry Halo novels".)

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Hey, Eric Nylund sets the standard for decent game book spin offs.

"Good afternoon gentle-beings."

Urgh...

Selling a random bio-weapon designed to target TIM? I just... wow that's dumb.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    Also it looks like the permanant armor thing isn't just for Tech Armor but for all the "armor" powers.

They also all seem to get special effects when deactivated if I'm reading right.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Hey, Eric Nylund sets the standard for decent game book spin offs.

"Good afternoon gentle-beings."

Urgh...

True. I was a tiny bit harsher than I meant.

Read multiple Halo novels. Liked multiple Halo novels. Wouldn't swap Catch 22 and Brothers K for 'em, (or, for that matter, Armor and Night Watch) but they were good reading. Solid pace, interesting characters, some depth for the Master Chief.

• Options
    Upon reading the excerpt I can only wonder as to how this book passed Bioware quality control.

I'm sure Mr. D is a very nice person with many admirable traits, however this book seems to be akin to that Batarian Wildcat Mining scam.

Is it wrong though I'm looking forward to seeing the Mass Effect anime? Win or suck its bound to be... interesting.

• Options
    I just hope they get a decent animation team.

The Dragon Age anime looks like crap.

• Options
    edited January 2012
    This is where we usually get an obligatory comment about Asari and Hana-

Oh...

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Statistically, a thousand monkeys eating Alphabits cereal form one superior novel each day.

One of the adept class power evolutions had a thing about bonus damage when your barrier was at full strength (which seems rare to begin with and was at the same tier as the reduced cooldown for combos, soooo); maybe the actual barrier break bonus will like a weak version of overpower? That would be cool.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Statistically, a thousand monkeys eating Alphabits cereal form one superior novel each day.

It was the best of times. It was the blurst of times.

But who knows, maybe after those fifty pages, it gets really...

Can't finish that with a straight face.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote:

not as bad as the dead space animated movies

ahem

Curly's Law of EA Cross-media

A EA game's quality is inversely proportional to the quality of its comics/books/movies

RxI0N.png
  • Options

It's not made by EA, just partnered with them, so it is on Steam as of right now, as is the demo.
    Oh, heh, right. I honestly forgot that I played the demo on Steam.

• Options
    Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:

not as bad as the dead space animated movies

ahem

Curly's Law of EA Cross-media

A EA game's quality is inversely proportional to the quality of its comics/books/movies

The only piece of EA cross media nonsense I enjoyed was the original Dead Space comic series since they had Ben Templesmith do the art.
    3907061561_555a53f510.jpg

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Heh, I was about to post that same excerpt. Not finished with it yet, but:
    Many weeks of effort had been required to track the object from the point where it had been stolen to the batarian homeworld and the ancient city of Thondu. There were lots of things Kai Leng didn't like about the place, including the crowded streets, the asymmetrical architecture, and the food. But most of all he didn't like the batarians themselves.

Even if Kai Leng is an asshole, at least he has a few positive trai-
    Not because so many of them were pirates, slavers, but because they were aliens and therefore a threat to the human race.

Nevermind.
    Not the Leviathan of Dis, btw. Plus, new author, same stylelessly utilitarian writing. Special bonus of basic background exposition dump one level about "As you know, Anderson..."

In the finest of their traditions, Bioware goes out of their way to really make us hate that douchebag gunning for us. Seriously, the next reveal will be that he bayoneted babies or dried up ears of those he'd killed as charms.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote:
    Seriously, the next reveal will be that he bayoneted babies or dried up ears of those he'd killed as charms.

Was that wrong? Should I have not done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone at all had said anything when I first started here that that sort of thing was frowned upon...

• Options
    Orca wrote:
    Synthesis wrote:
    Seriously, the next reveal will be that he bayoneted babies or dried up ears of those he'd killed as charms.

Was that wrong? Should I have not done that? I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing because if anyone at all had said anything when I first started here that that sort of thing was frowned upon...

Whose ears?

Because if it's foreigners or Legionaries, that's fine.

• Options
    chiasaur11 wrote:
    Orca wrote:
    Synthesis wrote:

Whose ears?

Because if it's foreigners or Legionaries, that's fine.

Only acceptable for USO Radio Contests. Coincidentally, only redeemable at USO Radio Contests.

• Options
    There should be an option to recruit Kai Leng.

I mean, he hasn't done anything worse than letting a factory full of workers die, or raping people to death with his mind, or engineering a bio sterility plague, or defacing a MOON.

I liked that in Jade Empire you could spirit shackle that Chinese Darth Vader guy and STAY a good guy. You just had to spirit shackle the rest of party because I AM THE BOSS GODS DAMN IT.

Which made it even funnier if you stay a good guy.

• Options
    You could sell Legion for chump change. I guess recruiting a total nutjob wouldn't be that much of a shock.

Then again, he is working for Cerberus. So he's probably really, really stupid. To the point of a liability.