As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's all go post in the new STEAM thread and talk about Tom Clancy ♥

• Options
    gogglesgoggles Registered User regular
    So, Rusty Hearts looks interesting. Anyone check it out?

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    goggles wrote:
    It's not bad. Personally I think it's better than most of Perfect World's games. It's a bit slow, depending on the character though. It's an interesting enough beat-em-up.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Well once again, classiness has raised it's handsome face this time in the guise of @mox who has very generously offered to pick me up the SMB bundle while it still remains on special. Big thanks to you, you handsome devil

Actually I'm just going to use this moment to mention that we're running a fundraiser for joshofalltrades, a PAer who's wife is pretty sick at the moment. As I mentioned on the last page, if you feel like donating there's a link in my sig. I hope I'm not imposing on the goodwill of the thread here, but I figure it's a pretty darn good cause.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    busfahrer wrote:
    Drake wrote:
    Lord Jezo wrote:
    How much does Magika suck for single player only?

Recent update added some things to it to make single player much less painful. I haven't checked them out, but the idea of what they mentioned had me wanting to go back for another shot at Single Player.

Wow, is there any info on that somewhere? I really liked the game but didn't put much time in it since it was a bit too hard for me to be enjoyable, seeing as I'm illegally retarded...

Yeah, PC Gamer has some info on it here.

Drake on
  • Options
    busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    Drake wrote:
    busfahrer wrote:
    Drake wrote:
    Lord Jezo wrote:
    How much does Magika suck for single player only?

Recent update added some things to it to make single player much less painful. I haven't checked them out, but the idea of what they mentioned had me wanting to go back for another shot at Single Player.

Wow, is there any info on that somewhere? I really liked the game but didn't put much time in it since it was a bit too hard for me to be enjoyable, seeing as I'm illegally retarded...

Yeah, PC Gamer has some info on it here.

Thanks! I wonder how this "Fairy familiar" would work, i.e. when or how it would allow one to be revived.

B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    So the base game should be skipped if I am not going to play it in groups? Its not like a Torchlight or anything?

Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Lord Jezo wrote:
    So the base game should be skipped if I am not going to play it in groups? Its not like a Torchlight or anything?

The singleplayer's enjoyable, but rock hard. The multiplayer is awesome fun, but I've always played with people I know, so couldn't say what it's like to play on a public server.

No, it's not at all like Torchlight. The world isn't randomly generated, and you don't get loot. You just wander through the world, with lots of jokes and references along the way (some good, some that just fall flat), and kill monsters and bosses. The spellcasting system is very good fun, though, and gives the combat a lot of variety.

Play the demo Free Weekend, and see if you like it.

Also, do you guys think that SMB will go to 75% off in the Christmas sale? I can't afford it at the moment.

Lord_Snot on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Lord_Snot wrote:
    Lord Jezo wrote:

The singleplayer's enjoyable, but rock hard. The multiplayer is awesome fun, but I've always played with people I know, so couldn't say what it's like to play on a public server.

No, it's not at all like Torchlight. The world isn't randomly generated, and you don't get loot. You just wander through the world, with lots of jokes and references along the way (some good, some that just fall flat), and kill monsters and bosses. The spellcasting system is very good fun, though, and gives the combat a lot of variety.

Play the demo, and see if you like it.

Hell, you don't even have to play a demo, it's a free weekend!

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    heenato wrote:
    goggles wrote:
    It's not bad. Personally I think it's better than most of Perfect World's games. It's a bit slow, depending on the character though. It's an interesting enough beat-em-up.

I promised myself I've never played an MMO but I've already tasted the addiction of TF2 hats so hey. Also, I find it amusing every MMO ad is full of titties.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Gah, I just bought SimCity for the iPad and now SimCity 4 is on sale today for $5.00. Damn you, Newell. My wallet cannot repel firepower of this magnitude.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    If you haven't at LEAST tried the demo for Aquaria yet, please do. It's the best Metroid since Metroid. You'll discover it is WELL WORTH the 5.00 .

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote:
    Ugh, is there a character/save game editor or something?

Min/Maxing makes emp123 something something.

Console commands. You can set any stat or skill with them. I usually set my attributes at 100 and then just let skills go up on their own.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    emp123 wrote:
    Ugh, is there a character/save game editor or something?

Min/Maxing makes emp123 something something.

Console commands. You can set any stat or skill with them. I usually set my attributes at 100 and then just let skills go up on their own.

Or you can install the Realistic Leveling mod, which makes your attributes a function of your stats - so raising a Strength-based skill will improve your Strength score, etc.

It also fixes the retroactivity "bug" that the base game has with Endurance.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    just realized I own everything in that pack but the bit.trip games... which I think where cheaper during the summer sale.

e: hey my steam sig's gone!

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Hey steam thread, finally caught up with you again
    so there's gonna be a Rainslick 3 by Zeboid? WTF AWESEOM.

And, hum.

Quads.

BTW, SR3 and Skyrim made me happy.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Hey steam thread, finally caught up with you again
    so there's gonna be a Rainslick 3 by Zeboid? WTF AWESEOM.

And, hum.

Quads.

BTW, SR3 and Skyrim made me happy.

I knew I was missing something in my life from not regularly visiting the mass effect thread anymore.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I dont think I'll ever finish Skyrim. 25 hours in and I've visited 1 of the 9 capitol cities.

I'm pretty sure I have 25 active quests.

How will I ever play Zelda and Saint's Row 3?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    Two Questions:

When does Aquaria get good? I have done this three times: Play for 10 minutes. Not sure where I'm going. Not sure what my goal really is. Get bored with swimming and singing. Uninstall. Place in "Abandoned" category. Re categorize because the internet loves it.

And I snagged BitTrip Beat but steam wont download it? It keeps saying the server is too busy. It has been saying this since yesterday, multiple times. I have downloaded other games successfully.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I dont think I'll ever finish Skyrim. 25 hours in and I've visited 1 of the 9 capitol cities.

Skyrim is such a huge monster that I don't feel bad waiting a bit to really dive into the story. As far as how to go about playing them both, I've put 30/20 hours into both Sky/SR3, and constantly flip flop between the two is the only decent method I've found that works.

And Batman is going to throw his hat in next week as well. And soon after, AssRev joins the party. Yikes. Sometimes the PC release date lag time is ok.

Decoy on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    Drake wrote:
    Paradox has GamersGate. Although they sell their stuff other places too. Such as Steam, obviously. So heck, why not?

Why not indeed it seems:

http://twitter.com/#!/TheWesterFront/status/137227766289534976
    Happy to see @GOGcom open to new games, looking forward to selling our games on their platform.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular

If it makes you feel better, not all of the 9 are actual cities. A lot of them are glorified villages...without gates and loading screens upon entry or anything!

• Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    captaink wrote:
    Corpekata wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    Oh speaking of Oblivion, I have a question about leveling. Ive noticed that despite only swinging my sword and fixing my armor whenever I level I can only get +2 str and +4 end, if I continue to up my skills without upping my level, will I be able to put +5 in strength and endurance, or am I stuck at the +2/+4 as thats what I could get when I leveled?

The stat bonuses you get can choose depend on the skills you leveled. So say you got all of your level just doing a strength based skill, when you leveled up you'd have a huge strength bonus to pick and all the other bonuses would be really small.

More specifically, for every ~2 increases of skills linked to an attribute, you get +1 to your multiplier. 1-4 is +2, 5-7 is +3, 8-9 is +4, 10 or more is +5. Yes, it is weird and dumb. 'Ideal' leveling means raising a bunch of minor skills so you can get 3 +5 modifiers each level. Don't go crazy trying to do this though.

Also, you don't want your main statistics to be important things that doing in the normal course of playing will force you to level. You need to max all the other skills, then do the ones necessary to level up. Otherwise you will find the monsters are being given optimal skills based on level and your character isn't. Means you will have a difficult time.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Bit.Trip Runner is really frustrating at times.
    Two Questions:

When does Aquaria get good? I have done this three times: Play for 10 minutes. Not sure where I'm going. Not sure what my goal really is. Get bored with swimming and singing. Uninstall. Place in "Abandoned" category. Re categorize because the internet loves it.

And I snagged BitTrip Beat but steam wont download it? It keeps saying the server is too busy. It has been saying this since yesterday, multiple times. I have downloaded other games successfully.

After 11 minutes.

I'm kind of joking but I'm kind of not. I bought it on Steam a long time ago and never realized that it is really a fully-featured Metroidvania. It doesn't come across in the first 10 or so minutes of aimlessly swimming around.

I am now playing it on my iPad and finding it to be a hand-cramping blast.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Decoy wrote:

Skyrim is such a huge monster that I don't feel bad waiting a bit to really dive into the story. As far as how to go about playing them both, I've put 30/20 hours into both Sky/SR3, and constantly flip flop between the two is the only decent method I've found that works.

And Batman is going to throw his hat in next week as well. And soon after, AssRev joins the party. Yikes. Sometimes the PC release date lag time is ok.

That's exactly why I burned through Batman on 360 and Uncharted on PS3 as fast as possible, so I'd have time for Skyrim/SR3/Skyward Sword, which all promise to be lengthy.

The worst part? I already OWN Arkham City on PC because it came free with a video card, but I bought it on 360 anyway so I could get it out of the way early. Being at a point in my life where I have much more disposable income than free time, this time of year scares the shit out of me.

minor incident on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Gaslight wrote:

If it makes you feel better, not all of the 9 are actual cities. A lot of them are glorified villages...without gates and loading screens upon entry or anything!

Yeah, I actually stumbled past one of them, just close enough to mark it on my map, and saw that it was barely bigger than Riverwood. But still, every quest I knock off, two more pop up to take its place. Skyrim is a quest hydra.

minor incident on
  • Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    Two Questions:

I haven't finished it so don't know if it stays good but it gets a lot better once you have the power to fight which I think is around 30 mins to an hour in
    just realized I own everything in that pack but the bit.trip games... which I think where cheaper during the summer sale.

me too! the worst thing is I don't want to buy the bit trip games becasue I'm fairly sure they will show up in some indie bunde (humble, royale or whatever) fairly soon

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Brief discussion I had with a friend upon hearing about GOG moving into the new games market.
    Bullio: GOG's going to need a new name. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-17-gog-com-to-take-on-steam-origin-with-addition-of-new-games
    friend: Hmm, Steam overlay did not like that link.
    Bullio: Already taking countermeasures against the new competition, I see.
    friend: That would be pretty hilarious if it were true.
    friend: Any time someone types D2D or GOG in, the overlay should disappear and Gabe's hand should do a jedi-wave across the screen with a voiceover saying "this is not the download service you are looking for."
    Bullio: That would be fantastic.
    friend: It would probably get them sued for some sort of anti-trust issue, but it would be hilarious until then.
    Bullio: Add a swipe of GLaDoS saying "you monster" for purchases made on them through the overlay browser.
    friend: Yes!
    friend: I'm seriously debating copy/pasting this convo into an e-mail to Gabe's public e-mail address.
    Bullio: It would be worth it just for the potential of a picture of him dressing up in a robe and waving.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Hey steam thread, does anyone have a copy of Dungeon Defenders hanging out from a 4 pack? Trying to scare up a 5th copy for someone on the slightly cheapers.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    thanks Bulio, that provided the tension relief I needed while trying to escape the horrors of Amnesia, damn this game is creepy!

rikdaly on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WiddershinzWiddershinz Registered User regular
    So Hard Reset was pretty awesome. Weirdly short though, like 5 hours and I wasn't in a hurry. I kind of expected that the boss fight was the last one, what with the waves of the heavy bots and the fact I had most upgrades I wanted, but it still ended kind of abruptly. Like they ran out of money half way or something.

Verdict: Great shooter, wait for a big sale.

Steam ID widdershinsaus
  • Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    So Hard Reset was pretty awesome. Weirdly short though, like 5 hours and I wasn't in a hurry. I kind of expected that the boss fight was the last one, what with the waves of the heavy bots and the fact I had most upgrades I wanted, but it still ended kind of abruptly. Like they ran out of money half way or something.

Verdict: Great shooter, wait for a big sale.

Yeah, I do really want to play that. I love Painkiller and arcade shooters, and I think that Hard Reset has some of the people from People Can Fly? However for a game of that length, it's just too pricey, but I'll be picking it up in a sale for sure.

Also, I asked this earlier, but I think it was near the bottom of the page, so not sure if anyone saw it, but what sort of price will Super Meat Boy be in the Christmas sale? 75% off? Or will it only go down to 50%?

• Options
    I think super meat boy will be 75% off in the christmas sale, I got it about a month after it came out for £3.00

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    just noticed 4 group invites from random groups, three from one user... ignore all. was weird though getting them all at once.

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    just noticed 4 group invites from random groups, three from one user... ignore all. was weird though getting them all at once.
    I remember a time, just after item trading and inventory viewing was added to Steam, when I used to get 2 or 3 invites a day from random people I didn't know, looking for a given hat (usually the L4D promotional one) in my inventory. I had to turn it to private for some time.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Just thought I'd mention, for anyone else trying to use Steam to purcahse abroad, that a query to Steam Support sorted it out for me. They unblocked my account allowing it to purchase in different regions, and provided a link to use in order to purchase using a UK credit card (though sadly at UK prices, but c'est la vie).

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    grouch993 wrote:
    captaink wrote:
    Corpekata wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    Oh speaking of Oblivion, I have a question about leveling. Ive noticed that despite only swinging my sword and fixing my armor whenever I level I can only get +2 str and +4 end, if I continue to up my skills without upping my level, will I be able to put +5 in strength and endurance, or am I stuck at the +2/+4 as thats what I could get when I leveled?

The stat bonuses you get can choose depend on the skills you leveled. So say you got all of your level just doing a strength based skill, when you leveled up you'd have a huge strength bonus to pick and all the other bonuses would be really small.

More specifically, for every ~2 increases of skills linked to an attribute, you get +1 to your multiplier. 1-4 is +2, 5-7 is +3, 8-9 is +4, 10 or more is +5. Yes, it is weird and dumb. 'Ideal' leveling means raising a bunch of minor skills so you can get 3 +5 modifiers each level. Don't go crazy trying to do this though.

Also, you don't want your main statistics to be important things that doing in the normal course of playing will force you to level. You need to max all the other skills, then do the ones necessary to level up. Otherwise you will find the monsters are being given optimal skills based on level and your character isn't. Means you will have a difficult time.

Yeah, I restarted my character. I was only level 3 and I really hadnt done that much so its not like Im really losing anything. I may fast track my way back to where I was though. Or I could just skip that fish hunting quest.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote:
    grouch993 wrote:
    captaink wrote:
    Corpekata wrote:
    emp123 wrote:

Yeah, I restarted my character. I was only level 3 and I really hadnt done that much so its not like Im really losing anything. I may fast track my way back to where I was though. Or I could just skip that fish hunting quest.

I started an Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul one.

Still level 1...

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    The "optimal" way to play Oblivion is to set your major skills as skills that can be isolated and never ever leveled.

So that you can increase your armor and combat abilities to improve your damage and defense, but since you'll never level for the entire game enemies will start to fall behind.

Also, vanilla Oblivion is really badly balanced for the default difficulty level due to the way stuff scales, so if you want to try and play it normally, lower the difficulty.

Or just mod the hell out of it because there's a lot of stupid shit in Oblivion.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Yeah, I have some mods installed but theyre there mostly to pretty up the place.

Is it odd that everyone I run into outside of towns is someone Im going to kill? Like, very rarely will I run into someone who is all "hey, lets talk about trees" or something, its always "Ima fuck you up random dude strolling through the forest with full armor and a big ass sword" and then I fuck them up with my big ass sword.

• Options
    emp123 wrote:
    Yeah, I have some mods installed but theyre there mostly to pretty up the place.

Is it odd that everyone I run into outside of towns is someone Im going to kill? Like, very rarely will I run into someone who is all "hey, lets talk about trees" or something, its always "Ima fuck you up random dude strolling through the forest with full armor and a big ass sword" and then I fuck them up with my big ass sword.

Skyrim is good about letting you run into friendlies. Lots of hunters/fishers you can buy food from.