As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Official I hate [Final Fantasy]Thread. Unlike 13-2, has an ending.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    So I absolutely will not be given a chance to name my monsters whatever I want, and have to stick to the list of names? :(

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Yes, but the list is really long. Just go to "All" instead of recommended or the various ones. You have quite a few choices, but no, nothing custom.

EDIT: Woot got the Lucky Coin, and thus won my chips back to the 15k I started with.

I'm never doing slots again unless something gets added loot/achievement wise via DLC for it. Gonna wait till my gold/silver chocobo's are high and win via racing.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote:
    Man, I guess I was ill prepared for the ending...

ENDING SPOILERS:
    It took me like 2 hours to beat the Bahamuts, where even my kill took 28 minutes. =\

Still trying to figure this out I think... so does Yeul start dying because of Etro's intervention in XIII, or was she always dying like that?

And Lightning turned crystal? What's that about?
    Yeah, the Bahamuts were freaking nasty. First FF last boss where the last boss wasn't just one boss -- this one was 3, and the 3rd kept re-summoning the first two. Gaargh. Did you get hit by Teraflare or Omegaflare? I did once, that... stung.

Yeul can see the future whenever it changes and any time she does it kills her slightly. Etro's intervention in the 13 ending caused a LOT of changes and generally broke time itself, which wasn't the cause of Yeul's death, but accelerated the process. The Yuels always die soon, but with all the changes -- and the extra changes our heroes were doing -- were causing things to go out of control.

Lightning turning to crystal is one of the Toriyama-droppings we'll just have to deal with until FF13-2's Vita Remake or someone makes a movie without his input. Reading the Datacore entry on the event, Lightning apparently gave up hope on resolving the timeline's cascade failure and turned herself to crystal to ride out the destruction (and supposedly to support Serah, although, yeah.

Wasn't the FF7 ending another Toriyama-dropping?

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I got the first(?) Paradox ending, by killing Atlas, who was... surprisingly hard. Ending was short and resolved nothing, but then again it wasn't supposed to, just hint at alternate timelines we don't see.
    In this case, we get to see Noel's timeline, year 500AF, when the Academy undergoes a civil war and destroys the planet's biosphere.

KiTA on
  • Options
    Oh my lord, how I would absolutely love to blame Toriyama for FFVII's ending.

Might as well retroactively make him the fall guy for everything we've hated in FF since the PSX era.

• Options
    Oh my lord, how I would absolutely love to blame Toriyama for FFVII's ending.

Might as well retroactively make him the fall guy for everything we've hated in FF since the PSX era.

Hah. I only know that he was apparently the guy who wanted to make Cloud wear a little girl's used panties (so he worked on FF7), and he apparently headed up FF13-2?

Edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motomu_Toriyama Apparently FF13's lack of any form of exploration, map, etc was his idea.

• Options
    I think a tight deadline and short-sighted priorities were the real reasons for FFXIII not having those things, and Toriyama has to play damage control to justify things rather than straight up admitting their fuck-up.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote:
    I got the first(?) Paradox ending, by killing Atlas, who was... surprisingly hard. Ending was short and resolved nothing, but then again it wasn't supposed to, just hint at alternate timelines we don't see.
    In this case, we get to see Noel's timeline, year 500AF, when the Academy undergoes a civil war and destroys the planet's biosphere.
    Yeah, they don't really expand on the main plotline or anything, but they're pretty interesting and some are completely awesome.
    My favorites so far are the Flan one and the Hope one

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote:
    Noggin wrote:
    Man, I guess I was ill prepared for the ending...

ENDING SPOILERS:
    It took me like 2 hours to beat the Bahamuts, where even my kill took 28 minutes. =\

Still trying to figure this out I think... so does Yeul start dying because of Etro's intervention in XIII, or was she always dying like that?

And Lightning turned crystal? What's that about?
    Yeah, the Bahamuts were freaking nasty. First FF last boss where the last boss wasn't just one boss -- this one was 3, and the 3rd kept re-summoning the first two. Gaargh. Did you get hit by Teraflare or Omegaflare? I did once, that... stung.

Yeul can see the future whenever it changes and any time she does it kills her slightly. Etro's intervention in the 13 ending caused a LOT of changes and generally broke time itself, which wasn't the cause of Yeul's death, but accelerated the process. The Yuels always die soon, but with all the changes -- and the extra changes our heroes were doing -- were causing things to go out of control.

Lightning turning to crystal is one of the Toriyama-droppings we'll just have to deal with until FF13-2's Vita Remake or someone makes a movie without his input. Reading the Datacore entry on the event, Lightning apparently gave up hope on resolving the timeline's cascade failure and turned herself to crystal to ride out the destruction (and supposedly to support Serah, although, yeah.

Wasn't the FF7 ending another Toriyama-dropping?
    Hmm, cool. End is kinda depressing, but made for an interesting story.

As far as taking flares, on my successful attempt I ended up taking Exaflare(all 3) on purpose while in sen/sen/syn with a magic resistant monster. This was after lowering both amber and garnet to about 10% and waiting for the flare. After the flare I'd finish both off quickly and move on to jet. I got sick of having short windows of opportunity on Jet, where a flare would make me waste stagger.

I also had to change any paradigm with Noel as medic to wide to force curaja.

Maybe not ideal, but it worked!

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Possibly.

I'm rather unsure as to what to do post-game in FF13. Supposedly there are some uber-weapons to get, and breeding up monsters and the like is always a plus. Supposedly the best place to go begin grinding up is the Aschyte Steppe in Rain, which apparently unlocks the far west area -- which has rank 5 monsters. Rank 5 monster parts sell for a rather large amount.

I guess what I should probably look at doing is getting the fragments for the CP bonus Fragment Skill, but I haven't even unlocked all of those timelines.

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    I think a tight deadline and short-sighted priorities were the real reasons for FFXIII not having those things, and Toriyama has to play damage control to justify things rather than straight up admitting their fuck-up.

Personally I'm fairly convinced that part of it also came down to system limitations.

It's really not hard to imagine his development process input of "Corridors?" as a solution to the problem of "How make pretty game, little RAM?".

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote:
    Possibly.

I'm rather unsure as to what to do post-game in FF13. Supposedly there are some uber-weapons to get, and breeding up monsters and the like is always a plus. Supposedly the best place to go begin grinding up is the Aschyte Steppe in Rain, which apparently unlocks the far west area -- which has rank 5 monsters. Rank 5 monster parts sell for a rather large amount.

I guess what I should probably look at doing is getting the fragments for the CP bonus Fragment Skill, but I haven't even unlocked all of those timelines.

I suggest the gamefaqs guide by Split Infinity. He's always great.

• Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    Is there multiple endings? Do I have to collect all fragments to get the best ending? Just want to know before I make the final push through.

...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    KiTA wrote:
    Possibly.

The Steppe is just the best place in general, really. Good monsters to tame, lots of monster materials, great sidequests, lots of CP, lots of gil...it's just good times.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Is there multiple endings? Do I have to collect all fragments to get the best ending? Just want to know before I make the final push through.

There are Paradox endings which are "what ifs" based on you intentionally finding a loophole. Most of them are just backstory (like the first one you get).

The main ending... well, there's only one, and we'll leave it to you to experience it. It has to be seen to be believed.

There is supposedly a secret ending for beating the game with all 160 Fragments, something you cannot do until the postgame as each Paradox ending gives a new fragment.

• Options
    So does the game have a cutscene viewer, or at least collects the other endings to watch at your leisure?

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Awesome, just caught a green chocobo.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Man, the soundtrack is very refreshing. Can't say I expected heavy vocals and pop/rock themes in a mainline title.

Makes me glad I picked up the LE.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    I am highly enjoying all the vocal songs in this game. They give me that Kanno vibe.

And Kanno is terrific.

Yes, I dare say I am looking forward to "Crazy Chocobo" when it comes up.

• Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    Crazy chocobo is fucking awful. On the other hand, since it's so god damn awful that just makes it all the more appropriate for the times when it is used.

untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    It's absolutely hilarious. I don't know what you're talking about.

• Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    Crazy Chocobo is the best thing in the game.

I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I just traded in a bunch of stuff I was never going to play, and picked up FF XIII-2.
    I didn't like XIII, because it was all corridors for 20 hours, but I've been told that this one opens up a few hours in, so I'll give it a shot.
    Any tips on making the combat less confusing?

• Options
    Late-ish game spoilers:
    Just got "killed" by Caius. Is it me or do Fang and Vanille sound a lot different? At first I thought they had different voice actors but according to IMDB they're the same. So am I just imagining that they sounded better than that or did they screw it up?

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Late-ish game spoilers:
    Just got "killed" by Caius. Is it me or do Fang and Vanille sound a lot different? At first I thought they had different voice actors but according to IMDB they're the same. So am I just imagining that they sounded better than that or did they screw it up?
    They sound exactly the same to me.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    Late-ish game spoilers:

Imagining it.

untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    This is the most fun I've had playing an FF game since X-2.
    Square Japan can still make great games that aren't on Portables or PC.

• Options
    Blackjack wrote:
    Late-ish game spoilers:
    They sound exactly the same to me.
    I just thought Fang sounded really raspy and that Vanille sounded like she'd just dropped even pretending to have an Australian accent. I dunno, I might've deluded myself into actually thinking they weren't that bad over the last couple of years.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Okay, a bit confused about the backtracking. What 'changes' can I do in 003AF to see a different outcome? Does it involve opening gates?

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Late-ish game spoilers:
    You're not alone, I thought the voices were different. Namely, Vanille didn't sound like a bimbo, and Fang sounded more gruff.

• Options
    cj iwakura wrote:
    Okay, a bit confused about the backtracking. What 'changes' can I do in 003AF to see a different outcome? Does it involve opening gates?

You can't exactly see another outcome there I don't believe. However, you can pick different Live event options.

One more specific one with a more detailed outcome is the Atlas fight. Going in and fighting him at full power (he does more damage than the last boss but has a very set pattern so it's actually a fairly easy fight) causes an alternate timeline to open up. Said alternate timeline only has one node and going in there only gets you a cutscene -- a "Paradox Ending."

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    KiTA wrote:
    cj iwakura wrote:

You can't exactly see another outcome there I don't believe. However, you can pick different Live event options.

One more specific one with a more detailed outcome is the Atlas fight. Going in and fighting him at full power (he does more damage than the last boss but has a very set pattern so it's actually a fairly easy fight) causes an alternate timeline to open up. Said alternate timeline only has one node and going in there only gets you a cutscene -- a "Paradox Ending."

So what does closing and opening gates mean? Just gives you the option of restarting?

Also, is there a way of knowing if a node has a Paradox Ending?

I'm still missing one Artefact from Chapter 1, so there's that.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Hmm. Last dungeon question
    Are there just no random encounters here after you complete the game? I'm running around trying to get a monster here but nothing is attacking me. I have the Fragment Skill to increase encounters turned on (and have tried turning it off, too) and nothing.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Just met Hope of the Future (I wish that was actually his name) for the first time.
    Is it me, or is he giving Serah some serious :winky: ?

• Options
    Well, would've been nice to know that Sunleth was Episode 3-2 before I went there...
    Ah well.

Amazing boss music.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    That's part of the fun though. Being able to do things out of order (or partially out of order).

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Blackjack wrote:
    Are there just no random encounters here after you complete the game? I'm running around trying to get a monster here but nothing is attacking me. I have the Fragment Skill to increase encounters turned on (and have tried turning it off, too) and nothing.

I'm not sure if that's the case or not, however, you should be able to just reset the time period for farming then turn it off when you are done.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    That's part of the fun though. Being able to do things out of order (or partially out of order).

I'm worried I'm missing stuff I should know, though.
    I went there cause I saw Snow in the preview sphere.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Blackjack wrote:

I'm not sure if that's the case or not, however, you should be able to just reset the time period for farming then turn it off when you are done.
    I know, but these are at the end of the dungeon and I absolutely am not going through that place ever again.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Dammit you guys! FFXIII-2 wasn't supposed to be good or fun, but nOooOoo you assholes have to be all "FUN FUN TEEHEE!"

The only reason I didn't lay down money on this is because I had convinced myself it was going to be trash.

I hate you guys.

I'll buy it tomorrow.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.