As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Official I hate [Final Fantasy]Thread. Unlike 13-2, has an ending.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Well I'm enjoying the game enough that I'm looking forward to seeing everything it has to offer. My only desire is that Square's next step to repair their brand will be even bigger than the one they took here. They've nearly nailed it with the gameplay portion, now they have to focus in creating a compelling story again.

I don't care who they use or who they don't, I just know they can do better. Because they have done better. It's all I want, rant over.

Also I messed up my musical themes earlier. The vocal piece in the Historia Crux screen actually sounds like Zelda's Great Fairy Theme. Wonder if that was intentional.

The AF 10 area is definitely taking cues from the Prelude, though.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Well I'm enjoying the game enough that I'm looking forward to seeing everything it has to offer. My only desire is that Square's next step to repair their brand will be even bigger than the one they took here. They've nearly nailed it with the gameplay portion, now they have to focus in creating a compelling story again.

Find a single FF that everyone agrees had a solid, compelling story all the way through. Even on this board, let alone among everyone who plays FF.

And again, even with gameplay not everyone agrees. It's just the way it is. So they'll never achieve your wish :P

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    It is indeed impossible to cater to everyone's tastes, but it's clear enough which FF games the majority of people hold with the highest regard.

For every two people who think FFVI had a shit story and characters, there are two hundred who are still touched emotionally by scenes like the Opera performance.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    This is by far the worst story in FF history. Gosh it is fun though.

I've no idea how far you are through the game but I'm near the end and to say it's the worst story in FF history is an absurd overstatement.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

I've no idea how far you are through the game but I'm near the end and to say it's the worst story in FF history is an absurd overstatement.

I guess we're hitting the "it's cool to hate it" stage of the game's release, then?

The story's fine. The first hour or so suffers from awkward voice acting but it gets over that. Even my complaints about non-time travelers using "Paradox" unironically vanished throughout the game when you discover
    the guy who was studying the effect coined the term.

The ending is symbolic and bleak as hell, but DLC may expand on it, and they have hinted at 13-3 and a series of novels / a movie / etc as well.

All things considered it fixes literally every problem in 13, pacing and storyline included. Gabe is wrong. If you didn't like 13, picking up 13-2 may just redeem the first game in your eyes.

KiTA on
  • Options
    So uh, this is from one of the postgame missions from Final Fantasy 13, literally the last thing you can unlock in it:
    Children of Hallowed Pulse scour earth, searching substance for the Door. Those of Fell Lindzei harvest souls, combing ether for the same. So have I seen.
    The Door, once shut, was locked away, with despair its secret key; sacrifice, the one hope of seeing it unsealed.
    When the twilight of the gods at last descends upon this world, what emerges from the unseeable expanse beyond that Door will be but music, and that devoid of words: the lamentations of the Goddess Etro, as She sobs Her song of grief.
    - Author Unknown (implied to be Yuel, matches her writing style)

Magnificent bastards, those FF13/13-2 writers, aren't they?

• Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular

I don't care who they use or who they don't, I just know they can do better. Because they have done better. It's all I want, rant over.

Also I messed up my musical themes earlier. The vocal piece in the Historia Crux screen actually sounds like Zelda's Great Fairy Theme. Wonder if that was intentional.

The AF 10 area is definitely taking cues from the Prelude, though.

The only FF's story I liked better than 13-2's is 10.

Also, funnily enough I feel like the gameplay in this is a complete step backwards from 13. I just ran com/rav/rav through 80% of the fights this time around without ever needing to paradigm shift with quite a few fights ending in under 10 seconds. Not gating the crystarium was a pretty big mistake.

untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I ran into a Tonberry a little while ago.

Try Com/Rav/Raving him.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    The next major FF game, in my opinion, should have the most simplistic concept imaginable. It should basically be a remake of the first FF and just make it a group of heroes go save their princess.

It sort of sounds like you're describing 4 Heroes of Light.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    cj iwakura wrote:
    I ran into a Tonberry a little while ago.

Try Com/Rav/Raving him.

I more than likely could now actually. At the time I ran into him though I could not, but that's why I said 80%! In 13 the ratio was reversed where the number of battles I just slept through was about 20%.

untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Also, got me a Green Chocobo medic. Bye Cait, I knew ye well.

This Pulse Knight's gonna be my Sen for a lonnng time.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I'm suprised they give you such a good Sent so early.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Arkady wrote:
    The only FF's story I liked better than 13-2's is 10.

Also, funnily enough I feel like the gameplay in this is a complete step backwards from 13. I just ran com/rav/rav through 80% of the fights this time around without ever needing to paradigm shift with quite a few fights ending in under 10 seconds. Not gating the crystarium was a pretty big mistake.
    I agree with the first part, but I did the same thing with 13 in that COM/RAV/RAV gets you a really long way.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    So FFXIII-2 is worth getting, then? I decided to pass on FFXIII, but if the new one is that much better I might go for it.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    The snow effect in the 700AF location was a nice touch.

Also, Archlyte is the first genuinely impressive location yet, though it reminds me of the only good thing about XIII's monsters being always visible. It made Gran Pulse really feel alive.

@jothki: Yes it is, but XIII is pretty great too. I'd play it first if you can. (It's like, what, $15 now?)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular

There's nothing even remotely as bad as this game.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Honestly don't think it's that bad so far, least not as bad as I expected.

Snow didn't let me down, either.
    (Hope = boss.)

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    So one side thinks it's a pretty cool game, and the other side thinks it's shit on a stick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4vIBijzg4w

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    It's like different people have different tastes in different kinds of storytelling.

vagrant_winds on
  • Options
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-31-first-final-fantasy-13-2-dlc-announced

Hits tomorrow on the 360, Wednesday on the PS3, although all it's going to be is adding two FF13 characters as boss fights in the Colosseum (like all(?) boss fights in there, they're recruitable).

Can you re-catch Omega if you breed him away? I ask because having Omega and the like turn out to be excellent breeding fodder would be hilaaaarious.

• Options

12? Original 13? Dear god, 8?

There are plenty of craptacular FF stories, 13-2 is not one of them.

• Options
    FF8's story was pretty good until you got to the orphanage reveal... Then it started the downhill.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Played the first couple of hours and the combat is still lots of fun, the graphics are still beautiful and the story and dialogue are still apparently written by people who have never met a human being. Just terrible.

• Options
    KiTA wrote:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-31-first-final-fantasy-13-2-dlc-announced

Hits tomorrow on the 360, Wednesday on the PS3, although all it's going to be is adding two FF13 characters as boss fights in the Colosseum (like all(?) boss fights in there, they're recruitable).

Can you re-catch Omega if you breed him away? I ask because having Omega and the like turn out to be excellent breeding fodder would be hilaaaarious.

Cool. Let's see how fucking stupid Square is. If it costs me more than 3 bucks for the both of them it will be nice to know i can just write off their dlc program as ran by maroons.
    I might pay 5. Maybe. :bz:

untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    Didn't they already confirm that it would be 3 bucks?

Also, shouldn't that be PS3 on Tuesday, 360 on Wednesday?

I'm also curious what the level/story requirement is for that fight. I'd happily buy it day one, but since I'm still at Oerba 200 AF, I wonder how long it would take before I could make use of that DLC.

Also, I have no idea when it's a good time to infuse monsters. I leveled one to maximum, should I make a low level monster consume him? Is that the best effect?

And do I get different interactions with NPCs depending on the party leader? I've had Noel chatting it up with a few people, but I wonder if Serah gets her own unique dialog.

• Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    And do I get different interactions with NPCs depending on the party leader? I've had Noel chatting it up with a few people, but I wonder if Serah gets her own unique dialog.

Sometimes? I know both Noel and Serah have a different line in the first encounter with Chocolina.

I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    I would be enjoying Academia much more if the enemies yielded about 100 times more CP.

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Overall I'm pretty happy with FFXIII-2. I love the puzzles, the fragment skills, and the snappy gameplay this time out. The end and sidegame stuff still feels pretty shallow, but considering XIII's was largely non-existent, I'll consider it a technical improvement. All that said, I think I'd be happier with a serious 3 year FF hiatus resulting in a series reboot for 15. I feel like the vein they've been mining since X has really been played out. I'll probably step back a bit, let my feelings coalesce a bit, pick up Amalur, and go back later to do a completist playthrough.

DLC can get bent though; fuck that.

• Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Turkey wrote:
    I would be enjoying Academia much more if the enemies yielded about 100 times more CP.

they yield a decent amount of CP and gil, really, it's just so monotonous that it's difficult to notice. I broke the tedium while I was there by attacking the giant cie'th a few time, naively thinking he needed to be cleared out to progress. just in case you all were wondering, he really doesn't and doesn't like being disturbed.

I also agree that it's time for a general world theme change after the DLC for this game is finished up, as XV desperately needs to be a FFIV/FFIX style world with this generation's (next generation's?) graphics. hnnnnnnnnng.

Torgairon on
  • Options
    Considering that I got XIII-2 as a present, I'm okay with ponying up for Lightning as a playable party member.

As long as she can be leader.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular

FFVIII. FFVIII. FFVIII.

• Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    I can't say I'd clamor a high fantasy setting in future mainline FF games. We've already so many high fantasy RPGs this generation that it would feel "samey" to me.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Guide arrived so I've got a bit of choice paralysis and I'll probably end up starting again (again) but I have recently come into a lot of free time so it's aite.

FFXV needs to have a great writer, Nobuo back for music and X-2's combat. Everything else is incidental.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    Shen wrote:
    Guide arrived so I've got a bit of choice paralysis and I'll probably end up starting again (again) but I have recently come into a lot of free time so it's aite.

FFXV needs to have a great writer, Nobuo back for music and X-2's combat. Everything else is incidental.
    I'll take that except bring Hamauzu back because he's doing a better job than Nobuo is these days.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Guess who just killed a Long Gui.

...now to try Yomi. Again.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    The only complaint I have about this game is that I wish there were different jobs for monsters than the two main peeps. Or just in general.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012

What an argument, you sure have convinced me.

Or not. You must be looking back through the series with rose tinted glasses because XIII-2's story is at the very least better than VIII, X-2, XII and XIII's stories.

Edit:
    The next major FF game, in my opinion, should have the most simplistic concept imaginable. It should basically be a remake of the first FF and just make it a group of heroes go save their princess.
    Can I just say how little that appeals to me? Toriyama > Snugglesworth.
    Overall I'm pretty happy with FFXIII-2. I love the puzzles, the fragment skills, and the snappy gameplay this time out. The end and sidegame stuff still feels pretty shallow, but considering XIII's was largely non-existent, I'll consider it a technical improvement. All that said, I think I'd be happier with a serious 3 year FF hiatus resulting in a series reboot for 15. I feel like the vein they've been mining since X has really been played out. I'll probably step back a bit, let my feelings coalesce a bit, pick up Amalur, and go back later to do a completist playthrough.

DLC can get bent though; fuck that.
    How exactly do they reboot a series which reboots itself with every installment? I mean really, how exactly did XII "mine the same vein" as X?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Torgairon wrote:
    Turkey wrote:

they yield a decent amount of CP and gil, really, it's just so monotonous that it's difficult to notice. I broke the tedium while I was there by attacking the giant cie'th a few time, naively thinking he needed to be cleared out to progress. just in case you all were wondering, he really doesn't and doesn't like being disturbed.

I also agree that it's time for a general world theme change after the DLC for this game is finished up, as XV desperately needs to be a FFIV/FFIX style world with this generation's (next generation's?) graphics. hnnnnnnnnng.

Supposedly that area, with the CP bonus items and fragment skills, and a turbo controller with X held down, is the easymode way to start getting a boost in the early post-game. Mainly cause they spawn without you having to move, and are pathetically easy by that point.

The far west of the Steppes, however, is generally better due to it having all the monster-growth drops you'll ever need, as well as rare drops, and generally being awesome (and containing like 9 bonus bosses, to boot).

In other news, the strat guide arrived, it's pretty nice. Same general layout and whatnot as the CE / LE FF13 Strat guide. Haven't data mined it as of yet.

Also: Apparently the Gigantaurs are one shot monsters, you always get one after fighting them, but there are only 3 of them.

KiTA on
  • Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    That ending....what the shit.....

...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    That ending....what the shit.....
    To Be Continued... in $20 DLC. Thank you, Come Again!

No, it's not that bad, and I got 30 hours out, so it's ok. It's just that it's the first time in FF history that the ending has been... Warhammer 40kish.