As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Official I hate [Final Fantasy]Thread. Unlike 13-2, has an ending.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Regarding today's comic - When I made this post yesterday:
    Spaffy wrote:
    I've just discovered hats. Game of the year.

I was referring to that exact hat on that exact cat. Freaky.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    That ending....what the shit.....

It was a great ending in my opinion, to be continued be damned.

untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Blackjack wrote:
    Guess who just killed a Long Gui.

...now to try Yomi. Again.

I couldn't even do that in XIII.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Also I'd like to point out that if you have no idea how the Crystarium works and just level each role up fairly evenly, the game provides a decent challenge. And I don't see how you could figure out how to optimise the Crystarium without reading some kind of strategy guide.
    At least, it's challenging in spots at the point I'm at (Just killed the Proto Fal'cie Adam in the Augusta Tower). Going Rav/Rav/Com the whole time would definitely not work at this point.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Arkady wrote:

It is. I just expected... something more upbeat.
    The bit with Serah, ok, I get it... tragic... would have been a Final Fantasy ending, especially if seconds later, Noel had started vanishing from the timeline since they fixed the future, leaving Hope as the only one who knew. I could get that one, it's a Final Fantasy ending.

Then it all goes to shit.

I'm curious to see if G&T will be doing a followup comic in about a week when Gabe hits that point.

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    So is it confirmed that there is a secret ending for getting all the fragments? Does it expand on the "normal" ending or just some extra inconsequential thing?

And I can forgive most of the DLC plans for this game as long as they include the one boss battle that is so incredibly obvious.

Come on, you know who I'm talking about.
    286217-gilgamesh12_super.jpg

It was by far the best moment in FFXII.

And it would be the best battle in FFXIII-2.

• Options
    Death Cab For AlbieDeath Cab For Albie Registered User regular
    Arkady wrote:

Not saying I didn't like it, was just a bit taken aback by it. Not what I was expecting from a Final Fantasy. They normally like to go with the happy ending with a mildly tragic self sacrifice twist. This was just straight out doom and gloom.

...we made it cool to wear medallions and say hotep...
  • Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    Arkady wrote:

Agreed. It's very different for the series and for the better, IMO.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Oh, it expands on it, but probably not in the way you're thinking.

Secret Ending / Normal Ending Spoilers:
    Caius appears. He's not dead. You didn't actually stop him. Worse, he was watching the timeline the entire time -- and every single potential timeline ended with the Goddess dying: some just survived longer than others. All your efforts were for naught, your hopes completely false, your dreams of a better future -- completely futile.

... And he knew it, the entire game. For all your actions to try and fix the timeline, all you did was mildly annoy him. There was literally nothing you could do to save the world...

And he knew it.

He stabs the ground of the Void Beyond, the same chaos-black smoke appears, he gains evil as fuck red eyes, talks about going off and saving Yuel (so this is either an earlier Caius, or Caius survived), and... fade to black.

You lost. The timeline is doomed. Everyone in Final Fantasy 13's universe is doomed. And there's nothing anyone can do about it.

The bad guy wins. For the first time in Final Fantasy history... the bad guy won.

I would be absolutely gobsmacked if there's not a DLC that expands on that. But as it stands... it's actually not a bad ending. It's definitely a first for the series.

There are some sequel hooks, however:
    Potential point -- chaos doesn't actually kill, he just destroys time. It's entirely possible to live without time, as Valhalla has shown us. It's entirely possible that Noel and Hope will survive in the new, timeless timeline and be able to start up a quest to find out some way to fix things. Furthermore -- the engine is designed for 2 playable characters, even when new characters join they either join outside the party (Snow) or are joining as a "monster" (Lightning's DLC fight). Leaving the game off on the "To Be Continued" screen with just Hope and Noel sets up exactly 2 people (with Sazh being nearby, but indisposed due to his kid).

Potential point 2 -- Several places it mentions that Etro was sealing something away, something dangerous as hell. chaos isn't that thing. It's just a force of nature -- a bleed in time. It's a side effect of whatever Etro was sealing... and now she's gone. It wouldn't be the first time the villain has been controlled by something worse without realizing it.

Potential point 3 -- Lightning apparently isn't dead, she's crystallized in a way we haven't seen before (namely, didn't the girls in FF13 lose their clothes when they were crystallized? And generally were glowly and blue and covered in crystal?) From interviews, this is due to Lightning reallizing what Caius realized -- there was no future, no hope, they were screwed. By crystallizing herself, she "kept the will of Serah alive", or so sayeth the random Japanese interviews (protip guys: If you have to give interviews to explain your ending, TONE DOWN THE SYMBOLISM) -- it's entirely possible that being crystal will allow Lightning to survive the oncoming time crash.

Potential point 4 -- Snow is missing in time. Not only that, he's a l'Cie now -- who the hell l'Cied him? OR was that some alternate universe Snow? Possible -- he had a goatee, after all, a classic sign of an alternate universe character, and was dressed all in black instead of white. Was that from a timeline where say, the Pulse Fal'cie didn't die at the start of FF13? I can't imagine they introduced him and had him vanish just so they could set up the Paradox Ending with him in it.

It's #3 I expect to see expanded on in the suppose "huge" Lightning chapter DLC they're working on.

Note also this snippit from Final Fantasy 13's final bonus fight, Fabula Nova Crystallis, which is written in the same general style as Yuel's writings:
    Children of Hallowed Pulse scour earth, searching substance for the Door. Those of Fell Lindzei harvest souls, combing ether for the same. So have I seen.
    The Door, once shut, was locked away, with despair its secret key; sacrifice, the one hope of seeing it unsealed.
    When the twilight of the gods at last descends upon this world, what emerges from the unseeable expanse beyond that Door will be but music, and that devoid of words: the lamentations of the Goddess Etro, as She sobs Her song of grief.

Children of Hollowed Pulse would be the people of 500AF, likely. "Fell Lindzei" are the people of Cocoon -- the Fal'cie, particularly, were associated with Lindzei (FF13's Satan analogue, I believe). The Door would be the time gates -- the things, Artifacts.

Despair and Sacrifice -- that certainly describes the 13-2 ending, right?

The twilight of the gods could be talking about Etro dying... and the "unseeable expanse beyond that door" is clearly talking about Caius's plan -- causing a bleed in the realm beyond time (the afterlife) to let chaos in.

Consider also that the thing we hear during the ending of FF13-2 is clocks -- a bit symbolic, but you could take that as "lamentations of the Goddess Etro."

In other words, it's entirely possible that FF13-2's story (and any "13-3" or DLC's) were spelled out in 13-1, and no one noticed because it was too damned cryptic.

KiTA on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    I wish enemies would stop spawning during story dialogue.

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Ya I love/dislike the ending. Hate would be too strong a word. Taken as a whole, I've really enjoyed the game so far.

Nothing bothered me more than
    Academia 400. Close second was the unbeatable proto-behemoth. Like, why...

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    KiTA wrote:

Caius appears. He's not dead. You didn't actually stop him. Worse, he was watching the timeline the entire time -- and every single potential timeline ended with the Goddess dying: some just survived longer than others. All your efforts were for naught, your hopes completely false, your dreams of a better future -- completely futile.

... And he knew it, the entire game. For all your actions to try and fix the timeline, all you did was mildly annoy him. There was literally nothing you could do to save the world...

And he knew it.

He stabs the ground of the Void Beyond, the same chaos-black smoke appears, he gains evil as fuck red eyes, and... fade to black.

You lost. The timeline is doomed. Everyone in Final Fantasy 13's universe is doomed. And there's nothing anyone can do about it.

The bad guy wins. For the first time in Final Fantasy history... the bad guy won.

I would be absolutely gobsmacked if there's not a DLC that expands on that. But as it stands... it's actually not a bad ending. It's definitely a first for the series.
    So what you're saying is he'll be "beaten" in the DLC when the party manages to hoist him by his own petard, trapping him in his own timeline wherein he's doomed to repeat the same actions over and over again to kill the goddess and end the world while removing him from all other timelines completely, thus making his actions a worthless exercise in futility as life goes on without him?

Well, that or the power of love.

• Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    I absolutely love that they went that direction with the ending. From a narrative perspective, it's pretty genius.

• Options
    naengwen wrote:
    KiTA wrote:

And he knew it.

He stabs the ground of the Void Beyond, the same chaos-black smoke appears, he gains evil as fuck red eyes, and... fade to black.

So what you're saying is he'll be "beaten" in the DLC when the party manages to hoist him by his own petard, trapping him in his own timeline wherein he's doomed to repeat the same actions over and over again to kill the goddess and end the world while removing him from all other timelines completely, thus making his actions a worthless exercise in futility as life goes on without him?

Well, that or the power of love.
    No, that won't work, as Etro dying causes all of history to be destroyed. There ARE no timelines left after the ending. Just an empty void, stretching on forever, like Valhalla -- livable, but without any past or future.

They talk about that, shortly. Why Yuel continues to choose to revive, despite dying every 10-16 years (something she's done for all of human history. Because living, even for only a few years, even knowing you're going to die and hurt everyone around you, is STILL better than living in Valhalla forever, in a kind of permanent, lifeless stasis.

The standard western Scifi time travel plot would be to go back and prevent Etro from saving the cast of 13, dooming them but saving the timeline -- everything went to shit because she directly intervened with the timeline, after all.

An anime would end it by them following Caius to the "new history" he's creating and kicking his ass there, or perhaps going back and kicking Etro's ass so she doesn't bless Yuel and Caius in the first place, or going into the Void Beyond and killing whatever Etro sealed up.

Also, remember:
    Yuel told Noel they'd meet again... and she'd know. And he hasn't seen her since. So the story can't be over yet.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I absolutely love that they went that direction with the ending. From a narrative perspective, it's pretty genius.

I can definitely see why some people are upset, but yea, from a narrative perspective, it's absolutely amazing. I was floored by it, then expected some sorta multiple ending thing to allow me to fix it.
    There isn't one. Even in the Paradox endings, every timeline leads to Etro dying and time collapsing due to her actions at the end of FF13. It's literally just a matter of when it happens.

KiTA on
  • Options
    CulverCulver Registered User regular
    Hey everyone, got a question and saw that it would be good to ask here:

So I'm playing along with XIII-2 and having a blast, though I gotta wonder, is there any way to tell if there is a wild artifact in an area? I'm kinda stuck at a point where I need to find at least 2 or 3 but having trouble finding any at all. I'm also trying really hard not to use a guide as much as possible.

Brawl FC: 3050-7350-3428
    360 GamerTag: Culver42
    Sc2 Beta ID : Culver. Culver
  • Options
    When in doubt, scream at Hope.

• Options
    Culver wrote:

So I'm playing along with XIII-2 and having a blast, though I gotta wonder, is there any way to tell if there is a wild artifact in an area? I'm kinda stuck at a point where I need to find at least 2 or 3 but having trouble finding any at all. I'm also trying really hard not to use a guide as much as possible.

There is not, but here is the location of them (area only, some of them are really well-hidden!)
    Breasha Ruins 005
    Breasha Ruins 300
    Oerba 200
    Sunleth Waterscape 300
    Archylte Steppe ???
    Augusta Tower 200
    Academia 4XX
    Yaschas Massif 100
    A Dying World 700
    Serendipity ???

untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Culver wrote:

Though this isn't always the case, if there's a Wild Gate in an area, you'll probably find a Wild Artefact there, too.

One that is easy to miss and breaks this "rule" is
    in Oerba 200 AF

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Noggin wrote:
    Ya I love/dislike the ending. Hate would be too strong a word. Taken as a whole, I've really enjoyed the game so far.

Nothing bothered me more than
    Academia 400. Close second was the unbeatable proto-behemoth. Like, why...

I just finished it and yeah, that's pretty much my thoughts. Shit was crazy. Bring on XIII-3 as far as I'm concerned. This game completely redeemed the universe. Really, really enjoyed it. There's still some flaws there that they could fix, like the repetition (though that's something a lot of Japanese designers seem to struggle with, especially Kojima) but it was a pretty awesome game overall.

As for
    Academia 400. It wouldn't have been so bad if it was just a one time thing but forcing you to go back, get fragments and open the other gate was painful, especially considering how much of a maze Academia is. And yeah, proto-behemoth was a dick.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    I'm at
    Academia: Non-Apocalypse Edition

How far would that put me in the story?

• Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Whoa, just got ambushed by a tonberry in the snowy bresha ruins. Was NOT expecting that. He murdered me in short order. Is there a trick? Or underleveled, most likely?

• Options
    MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Man oh man did I like the ending for 13-2. Overall I'd say that this is the best game SE(the FF part at least) has put out in ages.

The game is just straight up fun and awesome.

Edit: Also Noel is easily one of the best protags they've made. Sarah.... eh? But Noel was sweet.

Mattakuevan on
  • Options
    Turkey wrote:
    I'm at
    Academia: Non-Apocalypse Edition

How far would that put me in the story?
    About 2 thirds I'd guess. Once you've finished the fetch quest, you're right in the final stretch. Though there's plenty of detours available if you'd like to delay it. I ran around finding other
    fragments and opening gates for a while before I did the very last area.

• Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Spaffy wrote:
    Also I'd like to point out that if you have no idea how the Crystarium works and just level each role up fairly evenly, the game provides a decent challenge. And I don't see how you could figure out how to optimise the Crystarium without reading some kind of strategy guide.
    At least, it's challenging in spots at the point I'm at (Just killed the Proto Fal'cie Adam in the Augusta Tower). Going Rav/Rav/Com the whole time would definitely not work at this point.

The spoiler makes me think you're responding to my post, so I'd like to make an addendum to it:
    jesus christ where did all this difficulty come from ahhhh why am i dyinggggg
    Enemies in the last chapter are kicking my ass. I actually have to use tactics again. Still think the rest of the game needs a hard mode, light Crystarium optimizing or not; having to needed tactics the whole time would've been more fun.

Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    Aegof wrote:
    Spaffy wrote:

The spoiler makes me think you're responding to my post, so I'd like to make an addendum to it:
    Enemies in the last chapter are kicking my ass. I actually have to use tactics again. Still think the rest of the game needs a hard mode, light Crystarium optimizing or not; having to needed tactics the whole time would've been more fun.
    Yeah, the last dungeon is just oddly brutal compared to the rest of the game.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Blackjack wrote:
    Aegof wrote:
    Spaffy wrote:

I beat the last boss, but I couldn't beat some of the encounters in the dungeon leading up to it. Christ almighty, there was this fucking Behemoth paired with 2 Cait Sith-lookalikes that spammed debuffs and only took 1 damage from any hit.

Think my next trick will involve training up a Sentinel monster, I guess.

• Options
    Oh my god why did I not use my Cactuar before. That thing is so good.

• Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote:
    Regarding today's comic - When I made this post yesterday:
    Spaffy wrote:
    I've just discovered hats. Game of the year.

I was referring to that exact hat on that exact cat. Freaky.
    That is because that is the first cat and the first hat.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Is this by the same vocalist as Otherworld?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uncwKFZflS0

If so, god bless you, one of XIII's three composers.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    What is the name of the song that plays when you load a game? The one after "Final Fantasy XIII-2 the story so far"

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    KiTA wrote:
    Blackjack wrote:
    Aegof wrote:
    Spaffy wrote:

I beat the last boss, but I couldn't beat some of the encounters in the dungeon leading up to it. Christ almighty, there was this fucking Behemoth paired with 2 Cait Sith-lookalikes that spammed debuffs and only took 1 damage from any hit.

Think my next trick will involve training up a Sentinel monster, I guess.

Sentinel won't help on that fucking thing. I just burned his ass down with com/com/com. Even with my fatty fat silver chocobo in sentinel, he still more or less 1-shot my crystarium level 20 nerds once he stood up.

untitled-1.jpg
  • Options
    UnderwhelmingUnderwhelming myMomIsTheJam July 13, 2013 Registered User regular
    Games attributed to Toriyama, according to Wikipedia:

Bahamut Lagoon : Story event planner
    Final Fantasy VII: Event planner, "Submarine Chase Section" planner
    Racing Lagoon: Scenario writer
    Final Fantasy X : Director (event)
    Final Fantasy X-2: Director
    Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings: Director, scenario writer
    The World Ends With You: Special thanks
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King : Scenario writer
    Dissidia: Final Fantasy: Scenario supervisor
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord: Scenario writer
    Blood of Bahamut: Director, scenario writer, event planner
    Final Fantasy XIII: Director, scenario designer
    Front Mission Evolved: Lead scenario writer
    The 3rd Birthday : Scenario writer
    Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy: Special thanks
    Imaginary Range : Supervisor
    Final Fantasy XIII-2: Director, scenario designer

Yeah... I'm gonna say let him keep working. The majority of that list are all super games.

I am so sorry he touched you in a bad way with The Third Birthday. But it was one fucking game. Get over it already dude. Or keep it to yourself, because nobody appears to give a shit.

It's great that people like his games. More power to them. But according to that list, I'm okay with this guy dying so someone else can take a stab at it.

I guess he could retire or quit, instead of dying. Either way.

• Options
    So, we get the Lightning DLC tomorrow. I guess she works like a monster, due to how the battle system is set up. So...there's only one thing I want to know.

Will we be able to put hats on her?
    Will we be able to put the Lightning Mask on her?

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    It's great that people like his games. More power to them. But according to that list, I'm okay with this guy dying so someone else can take a stab at it.

I guess he could retire or quit, instead of dying. Either way.
    Wow, that's pretty fucked up. Maybe you should see a psychiatrist about that.

• Options
    I went to my first AX world.

The whole parallel world thing is no big deal, having played Chrono Cross.

But all the stuff about the future changing the past and the prophecies and the different Yuels, and this is how I feel:

http://youtu.be/uIbFXwWJdMk?t=1m46s

Anyway, can I get some basic advice on the concept of:

1. Infusing monsters

2. Closing/Opening gates

I'm willing to mess with this stuff but I have no idea when it's a good time to do so.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Thinking of Chrono Cross, there's something it did very right:
    NOT having human/humanoid enemies turn into giant monsters when they fight you.

Man I hate that trope.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Uh, Chrono Cross kind of did that...
    except the enemies would fuse with other enemies to become bigger enemies.

• Options
    Simon MoonSimon Moon Registered User regular
    Just finished the game. Thought the ending was a bit wordy. Could've done all that without dialogue. Still, awesome game. Time well spent. Not sure when I'll have the time to dig around in post-game, though.
    I really want to know what Sazh and Dajh have been doing that Dajh is still a kid. Also, does Alyssa get explained at all in any of the post-game stuff? Or anywhere?

Steam: simon moon
  • Options
    Simon Moon wrote:
    Just finished the game. Thought the ending was a bit wordy. Could've done all that without dialogue. Still, awesome game. Time well spent. Not sure when I'll have the time to dig around in post-game, though.
    I really want to know what Sazh and Dajh have been doing that Dajh is still a kid. Also, does Alyssa get explained at all in any of the post-game stuff? Or anywhere?
    Sazh and Dajh were time traveling.

And as for Alyssa, she kind of explains it after you go through that gate in Academia 4XX, but there's a Paradox Ending that explains a bit more.

how to get it:
    Turn on the Fragment Skill you got for beating the game, close the gate at Academia 4XX and refuse the artefact she tries to give you after you turn in the cores.

camo_sig2.png