As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Official I hate [Final Fantasy]Thread. Unlike 13-2, has an ending.

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Do I ever get manual control over Noel?

• Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    You can switch leaders whenever you want.

Personally, I like runnin' around with Serah because she does a little airplane thing when I dodge an encounter. 's like she's as excited as I am about the saved time!
    (I've been running around in Relentless Assault-W since I got -ga spells on Serah and Noel. Most fights are over in a round or two and it's just boring. This game needs a hard mode.)

I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Rizzi wrote:
    Do I ever get manual control over Noel?
    Yeah, after you leave New Bodham you're able to switch leaders whenever you want (even during battle!)

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    Axen wrote:
    Dammit you guys! FFXIII-2 wasn't supposed to be good or fun, but nOooOoo you assholes have to be all "FUN FUN TEEHEE!"

The only reason I didn't lay down money on this is because I had convinced myself it was going to be trash.

I hate you guys.

I'll buy it tomorrow.

I am rather surprised by the positive reception so far, though maybe I need to wait the full month before everyone back-peddles and calls it "the worst Final Fantasy ever".

I remember this community highly enjoying FFXIII in its first week too. Even stated how much they liked Vanille. Oh, the simpler days...

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it too, even though my tolerance for all the time-talk is teetering a bit, plus I kind of want to punch Alyssa in the face.

But reading comments about how "all is forgiven, Square" makes me wonder what kind of fan I am for not feeling nearly convinced.

And I was the guy who liked Dirge.

• Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Oh, I meant controlling both characters.

• Options
    Also, I like how both the Historia Crux music and the nighttime music in AF 10 share motifs from the Prelude.

If nothing else, they certainly nailed the atmospheric tone for the game.

Also, reading the primer on FFXIII proves that the first game had a really compelling story that would have been one of the franchise's best...had it been handled by a more capable director.

• Options
    ErlecErlec Registered User regular
    So I've never finished FFXIII, Got to pulse and just argghhed/bored into stopping. Tempted due to FFXIII-2 to try it once more. Just to see the end/enjoy the real combat. Somehow I never gotten the combat system :S. Should I try it once more?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    If I hear the word 'kupo' one more time...

Really enjoying the gameplay of this one but the narrative and atmospheric design choices are just straight up garbagetown. Whoever is responsible for the music, especially, I hope you have a terrible day.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Spaffy wrote:
    If I hear the word 'kupo' one more time...

Really enjoying the gameplay of this one but the narrative and atmospheric design choices are just straight up garbagetown. Whoever is responsible for the music, especially, I hope you have a terrible day.

THE PROTAGONIST IN ME, kupo.

Also the red chocobo song is fucking stupid.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    I always liked that parody of the FFXIII commercial by Mega 64.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Axen wrote:
    Dammit you guys! FFXIII-2 wasn't supposed to be good or fun, but nOooOoo you assholes have to be all "FUN FUN TEEHEE!"

The only reason I didn't lay down money on this is because I had convinced myself it was going to be trash.

I hate you guys.

I'll buy it tomorrow.

I am rather surprised by the positive reception so far, though maybe I need to wait the full month before everyone back-peddles and calls it "the worst Final Fantasy ever".

I remember this community highly enjoying FFXIII in its first week too. Even stated how much they liked Vanille. Oh, the simpler days...

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it too, even though my tolerance for all the time-talk is teetering a bit, plus I kind of want to punch Alyssa in the face.

But reading comments about how "all is forgiven, Square" makes me wonder what kind of fan I am for not feeling nearly convinced.

And I was the guy who liked Dirge.

I wasn't a big fan of FFXIII. I did enjoy the combat, but hated that I couldn't switch characters. It is the only FF game that I actually straight up quit. Sure, there are other FF games I haven't beat, but not for lack of trying. All the past games I put in a good 30-40 hours in to and the only reason I never finished was because something else would could up. But with FFXIII I kept telling myself, "Maybe it'll get better." sadly after so long I ran out of "maybes" and just stopped playing.

Ended up watching my brother play through and beat FFXIII. He seemed to really like it.

On a different note, I wouldn't mind seeing another FF game in the vein of FF9. Specifically a game that sort of goes back to the FF roots and brings back all the classic stuff we know and love.

On yet another note, I've said this before, but while I love S-E and the FF games, S-E has this (IMHO) bad habit of re-inventing the wheel with each new main series FF game. Instead of looking at their past games and improving what worked, keeping what people liked, and fixing what didn't work they just scrap everything and start from scratch.

While there is something to be said about being innovative and trying new things, it's not something I would do with the main series, I'd save it for spinoffs.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Regarding the main plot.
    Caius is full of shit. Why do you need to exterminate me?. The only reason I'm fucking around with time portals in the first place is to close the paradox' you opened, you gigantic douche.

I really hope there is a better explanation for his faulty reasoning other than "he's insane".

The narrative is making the middle portion of the game something of a chore.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    Spaff, that is one of the little bits that opens up a rant I've been pondering since I first picked up 13 two someodd years ago.

Bits like that one in question, and almost all of 13's plot problems is in /presentation/, not content. You're supposed to have that wait what? reaction, the plot makes it fairly clear a few bits down the line, but at the time it just feels.... Mangled. A character being confused, heck, the player being confused, or puzzled, or given some new difficult to fit piece of information is a perfectly legitimate thing. People having abstract emotional conflicts and growing to be more trusting of each other, also a legit storytelling 'thing'. But not PRESENTING it, not showing that this is what its supposed to be, when your characters just react woodenly to every single goddamn thing ranging from the single most FABULOUS sword wielding and purple tiger print headband wearing batman popping out of nowhere, down to completly not discussing the implications of running into Snow again, and all the time and emotional shenanigans he opens up... I wont even get into the "Its on hold" line.

Why is having characters have a meaningful emotional response, a human one, to anything going on so difficult for writers to get? Other than a small moment of baffled confusion whenever something big happens, which is the one note that they DO repeat again and again.

Despite it being just as out of place as everything else's lack. You've fought tron style biografted cyborg dogs, murderous piles of jelly wearing sirens on their heads, badass biker pant wearing minotaur-dog-ment who pull swords out of their own spines, and you're SHOCKED, so utterly SHOCKED, at.... Anything anymore?

Its something thats bugged me bout every JRPG I've ever played.

Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • Options
    UnderwhelmingUnderwhelming myMomIsTheJam July 13, 2013 Registered User regular
    I know it's only Feb, but I'm giving Final Fantasy XIII-2 Game I Don't Give a Shit About of the Year.

• Options
    UnderwhelmingUnderwhelming myMomIsTheJam July 13, 2013 Registered User regular
    Spaffy wrote:
    Regarding the main plot.
    Caius is full of shit. Why do you need to exterminate me?. The only reason I'm fucking around with time portals in the first place is to close the paradox' you opened, you gigantic douche.

I really hope there is a better explanation for his faulty reasoning other than "he's insane".

*Kefka laugh*

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Today's comic should be right you you guys' alley. That cait sith is adorable.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    This is by far the worst story in FF history. Gosh it is fun though.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    This is by far the worst story in FF history. Gosh it is fun though.

So it's basically FFX-2-2?

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Way worse. the only real problem with that game is the horrible terrible 100% ending.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Today's comic should be right you you guys' alley. That cait sith is adorable.
    Completely accurate.

When I caught my first Behemoth the first thing I did was stick a graduation cap on him.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    Way worse. the only real problem with that game is the horrible terrible 100% ending.

I was actually one of the people who liked the ending. I know we had this discussion a few years ago in the thread, but I've always felt that if any character in a Final Fantasy game deserves a happy ending, it's Yuna.

How would you say the gameplay compares to FFX-2?

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    When do you start getting hats for your pokemon? I'm on the Archylte Steppe right now and I haven't seen or heard anything about this hat mechanic.

• Options
    Tax refund + irresponsible Skull = spiffy new copy of FF XIII-2 bought'd

I don't even know when I'll play it! I got Amalur tomorrow, and I'm assuming that's going to last me till ME3 next month.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Lucascraft wrote:
    When do you start getting hats for your pokemon? I'm on the Archylte Steppe right now and I haven't seen or heard anything about this hat mechanic.

They're called adornments. They're those items that have a little ribbon marker next to them. You can put them on a monster through the "Monster" tab on the main menu.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    So to confirm what I had previously thought but got ridiculed for asking why Checkpoint said it was a full HD remake The FFX rerelease isn't a remake, it's simply a HD remaster.

Which is pretty much what they said in the first place, but for some reason people got started thinking it was a remake and it stuck.

So yeah.

Also, XIII-2 has a good story and good lord terribad opinions and all that. But unsurprising of their source.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Zephyr_FateZephyr_Fate Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    That comic makes me wish I had time to play more of this game. It's already my GOTY so far.

Zephyr_Fate on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Crazy Chocobo is amazing.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Teyar wrote:

Why is having characters have a meaningful emotional response, a human one, to anything going on so difficult for writers to get? Other than a small moment of baffled confusion whenever something big happens, which is the one note that they DO repeat again and again.

Because Toriyama.

I know, I know...you're sick of me mentioning it.

But there's an FFVII Anniversary Thread over at NeoGAF that has people waxing nostalgic over the game, and as far as GAF threads go it's shockingly tolerable (at least until the "my FF vs your FF" debates crop up again).

The point is, think back to what got you hooked into the stories for those games. Ignore the bullshit about "the graphics were great at the time" or "you had to be there at the time", because it's bullshit.

Even with all its revolutionary tech at the time, looking at all those quoted facts and interviews was proof enough how much passion the developers had at the time to tell their story. This drive only continued with FFVIII through FFXI, and somewhere along FFXII's director abandoning his game, things just took a tumble from there.

I'm trying very hard not to be one of those "my generation of games were the best!" snobs, and I will give Toriyama credit in that he can put out decent ideas and sequences when he's not given full directional duties, but I think we can all agree that the biggest problem facing both FFXIII and FFXIII-2 is that they didn't get their priorities straight.

FFXIII focused too much on pretty cutscenes and longevity, but failed on delivering actual meaningful content and dialog.

FFXIII-2 is trying very hard to make you understand its (not very well thought out) time travel story by constantly shoving buzzwords down your throat. I'd rather hear more about Serah's gig as a teacher or if Hope is having pity sex with Alyssa while secretly thinking about Lightning.

The next major FF game, in my opinion, should have the most simplistic concept imaginable. It should basically be a remake of the first FF and just make it a group of heroes go save their princess.

The simpler the concept, the more time they can devote to fleshing out the characters and their world, making such a tired old plot feel like the most epic tale seen in years.

Or, hire a director who can effectively balance convulsion and character development.

Edit: And in other news, FFX's re-release has been confirmed to be a remaster, not a full-blown remake.

I feel bad for anyone who actually believed it was going to be the latter.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    This drive only continued with FFVIII

Yikes. It didn't help them any!

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Snug, I can't help but feel that you use Toriyama like many other people use Nomura.

• Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    FFXIII-2 is trying very hard to make you understand its (not very well thought out) time travel story by constantly shoving buzzwords down your throat.

Um, maybe I'm overlooking things, but what buzzwords? So far the only ones I've come across are 'paradox', 'artifact', and possibly 'Oracle Drive', but all of those are clearly understandable in context the first time they are brought up. It's not nearly as confusing the whole L'cie, Fal'cie, Cieth, etc thing from the first game.
    I'd rather hear more about Serah's gig as a teacher or if Hope is having pity sex with Alyssa while secretly thinking about Lightning

Um, what?

For the first part, you know she's a teacher. What else would there be to know? What kind of secret double life do you think teachers have?

For the second part, :shock:

Cururu on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Turkey wrote:
    Snug, I can't help but feel that you use Toriyama like many other people use Nomura.

He's a horrible misanthrope of a human being who treats women like disposable objects and all around shits and spits on all around him.

Either that or he simply made one crummy game.

Same thing, amirite?

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Man when they say (tameable unique monster spoiler)
    Odin

is a Late Bloomer they are not kidding. Have him up to level 56 right now and he is awful. 1900 HP and something like 200 attack and 100 magic.

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I've never thought of my teachers as actual "people" before. I've always wondered how they were like outside of school. I ran into an old teacher at a bar once... it was fascinating and awkward at the same time.

Edit: And um... I'm excited to have purchased this game.

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    Turkey wrote:

He's a horrible misanthrope of a human being who treats women like disposable objects and all around shits and spits on all around him.

Same thing, amirite?
    Hang on, hang on...are you talking about Nomura or Toriyama?

camo_sig2.png

• Options
    Blackjack wrote:
    Turkey wrote:

Same thing, amirite?
    Hang on, hang on...are you talking about Nomura or Toriyama?

Ba-zing! :P

For the record, it was Toriyama.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Turkey wrote:

Believe me, I'm aware of the irony.

The thing is that unlike the Nomura bashing, there is written evidence that clearly states what Toriyama has been responsible for. He's also a much more vocal guy than Nomura, so reading his comments during interviews only strengthens that his vision is not one I want associated with FF. He still insists that FFXIII's decisions to include linear corridors and no town was the right one to make, and his comments that FFXIII-2 would have a much easier story to understand than the original are only right in the sense that he beats you over the head with the plot details until you grow numb of them.

Again, I don't think it's reasonable to put all of the blame on one single guy. I'm sure he wasn't the one who said "let's make this tutorial 30 hours long" or "no towns. seriously, if I see one town, you're all fired".

I just don't ever want to see him in charge of another FF game again. And according to sources, Square is reluctant to switch him over on account that he's "easy to work with".
    Um, what?

For the first part, you know she's a teacher. What else would there be to know? What kind of secret double life do you think teachers have?

For the second part, :shock:

What I mean is I would like more quieter character moments that don't have them constantly invested in the main plot.

For example, we're constantly told how eager Serah is to find Lightning, because she's her sister and she totally loves her.

Okay, that's fine. But how about a flashback or two that actually shows the two of them prior to this whole mess? We had one in the original game that showed Lightning's reaction to her and Snow's engagement, which was decent. How about building up more on that?

Five.

Five crummy games.

Two of them are saved by their gameplay (FFX-2, FFXIII-2). If they didn't have that, then...

My Life as a King was fun too, but I didn't get far enough to see where they were going with the story.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Games attributed to Toriyama, according to Wikipedia:

Bahamut Lagoon : Story event planner
    Final Fantasy VII: Event planner, "Submarine Chase Section" planner
    Racing Lagoon: Scenario writer
    Final Fantasy X : Director (event)
    Final Fantasy X-2: Director
    Final Fantasy XII: Revenant Wings: Director, scenario writer
    The World Ends With You: Special thanks
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King : Scenario writer
    Dissidia: Final Fantasy: Scenario supervisor
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Darklord: Scenario writer
    Blood of Bahamut: Director, scenario writer, event planner
    Final Fantasy XIII: Director, scenario designer
    Front Mission Evolved: Lead scenario writer
    The 3rd Birthday : Scenario writer
    Dissidia 012: Final Fantasy: Special thanks
    Imaginary Range : Supervisor
    Final Fantasy XIII-2: Director, scenario designer

Yeah... I'm gonna say let him keep working. The majority of that list are all super games.

I am so sorry he touched you in a bad way with The Third Birthday. But it was one fucking game. Get over it already dude. Or keep it to yourself, because nobody appears to give a shit.

• Options
    RobesRobes Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    13-2 does have the shallowest of characters. It is like X-2 in the sense that the sidequests and extras are way more fun than dredging through the story.

Robes on
    "Wait" he says... do I look like a waiter?
  • Options
    CururuCururu Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    What I mean is I would like more quieter character moments that don't have them constantly invested in the main plot.

For example, we're constantly told how eager Serah is to find Lightning, because she's her sister and she totally loves her.

Okay, that's fine. But how about a flashback or two that actually shows the two of them prior to this whole mess? We had one in the original game that showed Lightning's reaction to her and Snow's engagement, which was decent. How about building up more on that?

Fair enough, but you do get some of that as you go along, at appropriate times.

Minor Spoiler
    I just got through one part where you end up messing up a time jump and end up in a kind of limbo temporarily. It was a good 'I need a break' moment, for Serah at least.

The side quests also provide a lot of the human element, and are a great diversion.

Side Quest Spoiler
    For example, one of the more recent side quests that I did had me get into a pun fight with an NPC. Complete with laugh track. It was horribly glorious.

Cururu on