As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Little Plastic Blocks: The Movie

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    This movie was great. It had a lot of amazing moments but for me the best were
    DARKNESS bah nah nah bah na NO PARENTS!

and

Its ok Wild...I mean Juliet, hes the hero you deserve.
    Lucy

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    This movie was great. It had a lot of amazing moments but for me the best were
    DARKNESS bah nah nah bah na NO PARENTS!

and

Its ok Wild...I mean Juliet, hes the hero you deserve.

I was dying at that second one, I think it went over the head of most people in my theater.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    MrDapper wrote: »
    Everything is awesome!

I actually really like this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6lHm-stXdM

I could listen to it for five hours!

Aw man. A cursory youtube search shows that no one's made a 5 hour version of this song. :(

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    this movie was raaaaaaaaaaad

fave bit might have been
    when the cat poster started talking, oh my god

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    Also, some of the sets based on the movie are pretty cool, and they have few sets where they have basically two kits in one. Like, there's an ice cream truck that's also a plane that shoots ice cream, which fits in pretty well with the movies themes? And they've got a fair number of woman minifigures in those sets too, which is nice to see

• Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    The transforming kits are way rad. But they don't come with the main characters from the movie. I was just looking into them and the only set that comes with Vitruvius is $70? Normally I don't worry too much about the minifigures but I kind of want to get some from the movies.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    You can get the minifigures in those little blind bags I think, not sure if it's all movie characters but the main guy is definitely in there.

I thought this movie looked kinda uninteresting, but it's actually good? Go figure, maybe I'll have to give it a shot.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited February 2014
    The transforming kits are way rad. But they don't come with the main characters from the movie. I was just looking into them and the only set that comes with Vitruvius is $70? Normally I don't worry too much about the minifigures but I kind of want to get some from the movies.

Outside of the blind bags, the cheapest way to get Wildstyle and Emmit is the Cloud Cuckoo Palace set, at $20. (Edit, like, 6 - there's actually a $12 set that will get you Wildstyle and Emmit too.)
    70803-Cloud-Cuckoo-Palace.jpg

As I said, I oped for the bike chase. Badass set.

Bad Cop's car is $30, also comes with Emmit.

Movie spoiler:
    No word on whether it comes with a chair to throw.

70802-The-LEGO-Movie-Set.jpg

The blind bag version of Bad Cop is from very late movie, for the record.

Here's an image of all of the Blind Bag figs. They are anywhere from $3-5, depending on where you get them. I hate blind bags, especially given how many of these I want.
    k-bigpic.jpg

So yeah.. Vitruvious will be a little hard to come by. As was mentioned, only comes with Lord Business's lair (which has some spoilers in its design, as it's the climax of the 3rd act):
    11424310873_3c54c5e1df_o.jpg

But hey.. while looking for pictures for this, I just found a THIRD large set that I'm really looking forward to! Very late movie spoilers:

The-LEGO-Movie-Summer-2014-3.jpg

YAY!!!

So happy to see this is getting a toy, even if it isn't 100% accurate to the movie.

The other two late-year big sets I can't wait to get:

12212546323_f3f7e0ab38_c.jpg

70810.jpg

I will own all the things from this movie.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    And after putting together that long post with all the screenshots and movie spoilers...

I just realized that almost EVERY minifig included with all the sets is unique in some way. Emmit's like the only one who is not... And maybe Wildstyle, as I didn't post all the sets. It does look like there are different facial expressions, though.

... I just found the set with Wildstyle in her hood. It's nice knowing where at least $500 this year is going. =P

Athenor on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    MrDapper wrote: »
    Everything is awesome!

I actually really like this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6lHm-stXdM

I could listen to it for five hours!

I like the way:
    He says that, and then the screen says 5 HOURS LATER and you think "Eh, he's gonna be sick of it".

But nope, still trucking.

Cameo criticism:
    Anthony Daniels as C3PO, Billy Dee Williams as Lando, but no Harrison Ford? :(

The third act really elevated the story, I think.
    You could tell early on that the whole conflict is a representation of a conflict that I'm sure Lego fans have had: Whether to build as intended or let your imagination run wild. And then it reveals that's exactly what's going on, framed as a father and son arguing about it. The fourth wall becomes nonexistant, and it hits you in the feels. There's something heartwarming about the bad guy being brought round with a truly sincere speech like that.

And speaking of that conflict, I like that the Master Builders' philosophy wasn't pitch perfect: Independent thinking is great, but can be aimless without a bit of focus. The Submarine imploding while the double decker couch remained intact was a good example of that.

I also like when Dad asks the son what Emmet would say, Emmet speaks with the exact tone I'd expect a kid making something like that up on the fly to speak.

And something about the first few scenes:
    Why exactly did the conflict start 8 1/2 years before Emmet kicks things off? In the real world that's probably when the son was born.

And final scene:
    Duplo invasion. And then the Mortal Kombat ending. Loved it.

This movie is delightfully tongue in cheek, beautifully animated and actually manages to make you think a little too. Gotta make sure my nephew watches it once he's past swallowing age.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    The Spaceship got pulled FYI

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

What? Why!?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I assume he meant the picture I linked to. I changed it to the one @Timspork's Ghost linked over in the D&D thread.

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »

What? Why!?

Don't know it just got pulled from the lineup for this year

• Options
    Where'd you hear that? I'm not seeing any news stories about that, only that it's being released later this year (as early as March).

• Options
    Euro brick rumors
    It was pulled from the number list that lists what is coming out but then that list is set quarterly so who knows

• Options
    GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    This is the Justice League movie DC wishes it could make

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    If I can't buy that Spaceship at some point I will be pissed, I need NEED an 80's spaceguy

• Options
    GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    I think I need to see this again to pick up stuff I missed due to laughing so hard. Then see it again and again because its so awesome.

One of my favourite moments was the
    Millenium Falcon
    turning up. I just lost it at that. Also Uni-Kitty
    trying to distract the boardroom, dancing on the table saying 'Business, Business, Business, Numbers, Is this working?'
    I haven't laughed so much at a film in years.

• Options
    Wiki says the budget was 60 Million

so uh

it is already turning a profit with one weekend

that is fuckin rad

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    One little thing I liked
    When they have an shot of a building or something from far away the shapes seem simpler. Like when they show the tower from afar it looks like just a stack of 4x4 blocks.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    By the way

Has anyone here played The Lego Movie Videogame?

I'm finishing up Lego Marvel right now but I might look into this one soon

• Options
    I can attest that on second viewing within 24 hours, the movie remains awesome. :D

(I am burning through a $50 gift card from my former employer. Last year wasn't that good a year for movies, so I haven't had many opportunities to use it.)

• Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    I

Want

That Metalbeard ship.

XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Metalbeard spoke to me on a lot of personal levels

• Options
    I loved Unikitty way more than I was expecting
    "BUSINESS! BUSINESS BUSINESS! NUMBERS? BUSINESS! (Is this working?)"

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    I

Want

That Metalbeard ship.

I went looking for it last night and was really bummed when I couldn't find it. I cheered up quite a bit when I found out that it's slated for a later release.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    "Yes. It. Is."

"YAY!"

Yeah, she's a giant parody of everything saccharine and sweet, including some other interests I have *ahem*, but still she's up there with my top 3 characters in the movie.

Plot spoiler:
    She's pretty much exactly how a little boy would play with such a fig. And kinda represents a few of his emotional issues too, if you view the movie as his imagination.

Actually, now that I think about it.. Can I just bring up how awesome this movie is from a feminist perspective? Even with some really funny parodies of the male gaze, Wildstyle is one of the most capable characters I've ever seen. For as much as we've seen Disney Lego and other attempts to make girl-oriented legos, this movie treated everyone pretty equally. In fact, only one of the characters in the entire movie goes into pickup lines, and he gets his comeuppance in a glorious way as a result.

another plot spoiler:
    While short, I loved the interaction between Bad Cop and his parents.

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Yes. It's working.

I loved the robots, too. And the Micro-Managers. And...

• Options

I mostly blame this on Metalbeard being voiced by Nick Offerman

He is my spirit animal

• Options
    edited February 2014

He is my spirit animal

For me that was actually just incidental (though I do like Offerman)

I've just always loved giant robots and always loved pirates

And a major character in a motion picture that was both was perfect

Also I had some thoughts re: the last third
    So it seems to be implied that the entire movie was in Will Ferrell's son's head, like he was just playing. But at the same time Emmett was entirely sentient and able to move himself, which implies that it was a little of column A, and a little of column B

But what confuses me on that front is the Micromanagers. It's clearly shown that they're the result of Will Ferrell taking the various builds apart, but they appeared long before he did. Maybe this isn't the first time his son has done this, and the dad always took it apart, so the kid was emulating that?

Etchwarts on
  • Options

He is my spirit animal

So it seems to be implied that the entire movie was in Will Ferrell's son's head, like he was just playing. But at the same time Emmett was entirely sentient and able to move himself, which implies that it was a little of column A, and a little of column B

But what confuses me on that front is the Micromanagers. It's clearly shown that they're the result of Will Ferrell taking the various builds apart, but they appeared long before he did. Maybe this isn't the first time his son has done this, and the dad always took it apart, so the kid was emulating that?
    I think it is intentionally vague.
    Like Emmett was definitely sentient but there is also a ton of implication that it was the kid's imagination.

I honestly like it that way, since it keeps that child-like feeling of knowing your toys are toys but not caring and imagining they could be more.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Plus Metalbeard just looks dang cool
    70807-metalbeard.jpg

• Options

He is my spirit animal

I think it is intentionally vague.
    Like Emmett was definitely sentient but there is also a ton of implication that it was the kid's imagination.

I honestly like it that way, since it keeps that child-like feeling of knowing your toys are toys but not caring and imagining they could be more.

Yeah, it's definitely someone put a lot of thought into either way, which I'm glad about, since when it was first revealed I wasn't certain they would pull it off

• Options
    One thing I am genuinely curious about is if
    Ghost-Vitruvius was CGI or not. Cause the physics of him dangling from the string were fucking incredible and one of the funniest things in the whole movie.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    One thing I am genuinely curious about is if
    Ghost-Vitruvius was CGI or not. Cause the physics of him dangling from the string were fucking incredible and one of the funniest things in the whole movie.
    The second that happened a kid in front of me said "Mom, you can see the string."

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    God I want to watch this movie again immediately

And several times after that

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I am pretty split on this

On one hand, it's a genuinely great family movie, and the last scenes were really touching

On the other hand, I didn't find it funny at all

So...yeah. It was worth seeing but I don't ever need to see it again

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    metalbeard is already out at lego stores