As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Skyrim: Nothing is so cute I can't brutally murder it.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Macro9 wrote:
    Dead End Thrills did Skyrim

http://deadendthrills.com/?cat=314

So jealous

oh god oh god oh god

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    That guy is kind of an ass
    Unfortunately, it’s also an Oblivion when it comes to making a first impression. If you follow me on Twitter then sorry for the day you just spent watching me figure out just why the hell the game looked so much worse than it should have, and how the hell it could fixed before the first proper wave of mods came out.

this game looks amazing

are people really that huge of graphics snobs

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Unfortunately, it’s also an Oblivion when it comes to making a first impression. If you follow me on Twitter then sorry for the day you just spent watching me figure out just why the hell the game looked so much worse than it should have, and how the hell it could fixed before the first proper wave of mods came out.

this game looks amazing

I do not care what kind of asshole he is so long as he keeps making the pretty pictures. Also yes he is a huge graphics snob. He has a ridiculous god-computer and gets mods that squeeze every graphics potential out of a video game. He plays video games in ways most people never see.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    redheadredhead Registered User regular
    so i leveled smithing to 100 to see how the various armors and weapons compared

dragon armor is worse than daedric and ebony is worse than both but prettier and cheaper, and an ebony war axe is for whatever reason just as good as a daedric one even though most weapons are worse in ebony form

so between the prettiness and the cheaper-ness, ebony it is. reloadin' an old save from before i wasted that last 2000 gold on iron to get smithing to 100 and ebonying it up

• Options
    Dragon Armor is only slightly worse

which is balanced out by the fact that dragon bits are way easier to find than daedra hearts

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    graphics snobs can lick poopies

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote:

this game looks amazing

kind of an ass?

that thing you quoted is just so moronic I don't even know where to begin

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Blankzilla wrote:

this game looks amazing

Sadly, this is how a lot of primarily PC gamers have reacted to this game.

They expect to have a game look like Battlefield 3 or even The Witcher 2.

Which is a problem for me, considering none of those games are in such a huge detailed world, full of possibly thousands of people.

I don't even think there is a game you could really compare Skyrim to outside of stuff from Bethesda or maybe MMOs.

Can anyone else think of any recent games that are of the scope of Skyrim and other Bethesda games and MMOs?

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Also Blankzilla re: that guy and his skyrim posts, he did say that it had really great art direction and looks really good on day one, without any mods.

The part you focused on was him complaining about a bug.

It looks like it has been more stable than some of their games, but there have been plenty of people having crazy issues. Which sucks but it is a huge release, there are going to be issues. They are fixing them.

oh, oh also. I just realized. He was not saying the game looks bad. But a lot of people have bugs that make the game look like shitty butts. That is what he was referring to. Not that the game looks bad, but that he was having hells of bugs that made it look nowhere near its potential. I had a bug where all of the graphics were rendering on low, and it looked alright but nowhere near as good as it does now

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    So I decided to do the Thieves Guild faction quests and uh, I don't really want spoilers or nothin' but... do those guys ever get likable?

Because right now everyone is basically a prick

I mean, in Oblivion and Morrowind there was this kind of robin hood thing going on. Gray Fox straight up protected the poor and gave them money, and there was a "gentleman thief" quality to the whole affair

I've heard there's a bit of internal strife in the Thieves Guild at some point, and it's clear to me already like two quests in that things are gonna have to change around here, but do things ever get a bit more noble, or am I going to be perpetually shaking down shopkeeps like some common thug?

I don't really have a problem with it, just not sure if I want to do that with this particular character is all

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    I didn't read his words.

Just looked at his purdy pictures.

He is my Playboy.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Dichotomy wrote:
    Blankzilla wrote:

this game looks amazing

kind of an ass?

that thing you quoted is just so moronic I don't even know where to begin

I really think you guys are taking that sentence out of context.

He is not saying the game looks bad.

"It really goes without saying, but if this is what Skyrim looks like on day one, just think what it’ll look like on day 356. "

"Why wouldn’t you assume that a game scarcely bigger than an Xbox 1 DVD would look like ass? Here’s one reason. The new Elder Scrolls might not be a Witcher 2 when it comes to texture resolution (yet), but it’s definitely a Morrowind in its art direction" <== this is from the thing that blank posted.

• Options
    Artreus wrote:
    Also Blankzilla re: that guy and his skyrim posts, he did say that it had really great art direction and looks really good on day one, without any mods.

The part you focused on was him complaining about a bug.

It looks like it has been more stable than some of their games, but there have been plenty of people having crazy issues. Which sucks but it is a huge release, there are going to be issues. They are fixing them.

oh, oh also. I just realized. He was not saying the game looks bad. But a lot of people have bugs that make the game look like shitty butts. That is what he was referring to. Not that the game looks bad, but that he was having hells of bugs that made it look nowhere near its potential. I had a bug where all of the graphics were rendering on low, and it looked alright but nowhere near as good as it does now
    Oh well that is much less ass-y

I did read the bit about art direction, which the game is amazing at

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    redhead wrote:
    so i leveled smithing to 100 to see how the various armors and weapons compared

dragon armor is worse than daedric and ebony is worse than both but prettier and cheaper, and an ebony war axe is for whatever reason just as good as a daedric one even though most weapons are worse in ebony form

so between the prettiness and the cheaper-ness, ebony it is. reloadin' an old save from before i wasted that last 2000 gold on iron to get smithing to 100 and ebonying it up

yeah, I do not want to be a whiny baby about it but I just am not a fan of the way dragon plate looks at all. It is fairly ugly to me, when ebony is beautiful. So I am just gonna use ebony. Kind of wish that perk had gone somewhere more useful, but hey, it is a great source of income.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    uh guys? my archery just jumped down to 15 from 50. it's red, and I have no idea why. I do not have a diesease, i checked by tapping an altar.

what the fuck

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    level up, that should fix it

• Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    or so I have heard

• Options
    I love how Ebony armor looks but I hate the knight-style helmet. I am a goddamn viking, not a knight.

So I snagged Yngvald's Helm and now I am rocking massive horns and shit

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I do not know what that helm is but I have a daedric helm and it looks super classy.

I love it.

I do love the steel plate helm but
    it is not the best armor wise.

now I kind of want to look up yngvald's helm but nope not gonna

• Options
    You know that helmet that draugr Deathlords wear? It is like a dark black helmet that has been beaten a bit and has to huge curving horns in the front?

That is Yngvald's Helm.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Artreus wrote:
    I do not know what that helm is but I have a daedric helm and it looks super classy.

I love it.

I do love the steel plate helm but
    it is not the best armor wise.

now I kind of want to look up yngvald's helm but nope not gonna

There's a daedric armor mod that makes the red stuff glow and gives you glowing red eyes.

Fu5qY.jpg

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Alright after 35 hours of play and 250 saves, I'm putting Balthazar on the backburner and making my Dunmer magethief.

Excited.

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I kinda just want to make Thor.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    Alright after 35 hours of play and 250 saves, I'm putting Balthazar on the backburner and making my Dunmer magethief.

Excited.

1434 saves

Over 9gb

I make a new save every time I save.

It's a terrible habit, but fuck if I am going to get hit with some bugs I can't work out on my own.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    Orcish armor looks badass on an argonian.

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Ashcroft wrote:
    I kinda just want to make Thor.
    I intended to do this

but the lightning spells didn't really feel that great to me and I was taking way too much damage since I couldn't block

so I went axe and board and never looked back

still look like Chris Hemsworth though

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Olivaw wrote:
    So I decided to do the Thieves Guild faction quests and uh, I don't really want spoilers or nothin' but... do those guys ever get likable?

Because right now everyone is basically a prick

I mean, in Oblivion and Morrowind there was this kind of robin hood thing going on. Gray Fox straight up protected the poor and gave them money, and there was a "gentleman thief" quality to the whole affair

I've heard there's a bit of internal strife in the Thieves Guild at some point, and it's clear to me already like two quests in that things are gonna have to change around here, but do things ever get a bit more noble, or am I going to be perpetually shaking down shopkeeps like some common thug?

I don't really have a problem with it, just not sure if I want to do that with this particular character is all

yup

it gets a lot more internal affairs

• Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    So uh, if a dragon kills a named character/townsperson, they'll come back right?

Right?

• Options
    Nope

essential NPCs can't die

if they died, they don't come back

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    So on my Argonian I think I am just going to skip the main quest

The whole "fighting dragons and being Dovahkiin" thing doesn't really work as well for him as it did my Nord

it feels much better to just do Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood and then random quests and maybe explore a bit

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    Welp

at least people will tell the tale of how a horse and I slayed a dragon in front of the Whiterun gate for years to come

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Riale wrote:
    august wrote:
    PiptheFair wrote:
    just to clarify

enemies do not level with you right

If it's like Fallout 3 (and I think it is) areas have a certain level range that gets frozen the first time you visit. Like say an area is 15-20. You visit it at level 5 so now it's frozen at 15. It will stay at 15 for whenever you come back but in the meantime you're gonna get your ass kicked.

I'm pretty sure this isn't the case. I cleared some forts/areas of bandits when I was around level 5, and they were pretty typical easy bandits for that level. I just went back to them at 27 and they were all Bandit Outlaws and higher leveled bandits that still took considerable effort to kill. Enemies definitely scale up quite a bit.

One thing that doesn't seem to scale is Dragons. They have harder types that come after you, but the vanilla brown dragon is always about the same HP and level, which means that with my crazy equipment I can literally 3 shot the basic dragons with 1h power attacks. It's kinda silly. I'm hoping for a mod that makes dragons a little more intense.

I think it's a little bit of both. Enemies don't level with you persay, "Bandits" will always be just as powerful as they are whenever you see them. But the higher you get, the higher chance you are to run into "Bandit outlaws" or 'Bandit Highwayman." They don't seem to scale as directly, though, and they never seem to scale in equipment, unlike oblivion

• Options
    The higher level ones definitely scale in equipment

I had a Bandit Marauder come at me with ebony armor and an ebony war axe

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Oh man I just found the run down old fort that has a
    dog fighting ring

in it's basement

• Options
    PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    I got orcish arrows off a bandit outlaw once.

Man, this game. My miscellaneous quest list was getting kind of long, so I decide to do a few. Start off with a dragon bounty, quick and straightforward, but along the way I still pick up a couple more quests.

It just never ends.

• Options
    Aww man, Companions
    I don't know if I wanna be a werewolf!

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Why yes, dragon, I will take that Elven helmet of +20% archery on your corpse, thank you very much.

Now all I need are some boots and I'll have the whole set.

• Options
    Also I think I've just been really lucky in that I'm getting lots of +lockpicking items, cause I don't think skill means jack shit aside from unlocking the perks

• Options
    freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    Javen wrote:
    Aww man, Companions
    I don't know if I wanna be a werewolf!
    It's not so bad. Total effects: Daily power that lets you change, complete resistance against disease, no well rested bonuses from sleeping. The guards will make some random comments when you walk by but they won't attack you or anything.

• Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    I was sad that the key to a bandit camp didn't work on their master level chest that was tucked away, because I can't really get lucky with those.

This discussion has been closed.