As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] Skyrim's second update may bork the game! Be wary!

• Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    FightTest wrote:
    SniperGuy wrote:
    I feel like there actually aren't many opportunities to be good. A lot of the quests are steered towards evil, especially the thieves guild and the Dark Brotherhood. Why can't we have a paladin guild or something? I don't feel any incentive to not be evil.

Agreed. The DB and TG were choices you soughut out/caused in Oblivion. In Skyrim you're dumped into them by default which sucks.

That said you can turn around the DB quest line.
    You can kill Astrid when you wake up in the cottage. Then you get a quest to end the DB. Unfortunately it's kind of shitty since the DB quest chain is long and interesting whereas the anti-DB quest chain is just "go kill them" and that's it. Also annoying since the vampire girl isn't there since you can't kill children, even if they're hundreds of years old and undead.

Yeah there's a pretty strong trend to railroad you into being an evil asshole with side quests.

The occasional exceptions are not very well fleshed out. For instance, Boethiah...
    Found her cult. They order me to murder a trusting innocent to prove I'm a bad enough dude.

So I wipe out the entire murder-cult and think, "Wow, how unusual that I'm even able to kill quest-related characters who are asking my character to do awful stuff."

Then Boethiah personally materialized and gave me the exact same quest that will still sit in my quest log for as long as I don't want to murder innocent people with this character.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    So did anyone else have this happen?

It was in a town where you do a thieves guild quest in the market. I dont think this is a spoiler, because nothing came of it and it didnt seem related to anything: I leave a building near that market, and one of the vendors is 20 feet in the air, and just drops to the ground and dies. Everyone runs up to him like they are as surprised as I am. They talk about his death being weird/strange, but theres nothing else going on, noone to talk to or anything. At first I thought it was a joke/reference like to the guy falling out of the sky with the boots of high jump from morrowind, but I recognize him as one of the vendors and its like nothing strange was going on.(and no there was not a dragon)

I am confused on what the hell happened, or if it was just a physics engine fuck up when it tried to load all the actors when I left a building.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2011

It was in a town where you do a thieves guild quest in the market. I dont think this is a spoiler, because nothing came of it and it didnt seem related to anything: I leave a building near that market, and one of the vendors is 20 feet in the air, and just drops to the ground and dies. Everyone runs up to him like they are as surprised as I am. They talk about his death being weird/strange, but theres nothing else going on, noone to talk to or anything. At first I thought it was a joke/reference like to the guy falling out of the sky with the boots of high jump from morrowind, but I recognize him as one of the vendors and its like nothing strange was going on.(and no there was not a dragon)

I am confused on what the hell happened, or if it was just a physics engine fuck up when it tried to load all the actors when I left a building.

It sounds like it could be a physics/engine fuck up, similar to animals falling out of the sky as their grids load.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    Jesus, what I thought was a pretty small diversion turned into a huge ass dungeon crawl.

So the mask quests are always way too long?
    Bloodshed wrote:
    Antihippy wrote:
    Can someone breakdown the gem/enchant system for me? Or at least a good place to read up on it?

Here's the fat, overly wordy version:

(really awesome guide)

Thanks man. That's exactly the info I want to know about gems.

However, if I kill a creature with great soul, would it fill the petty soul gem?

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote:

It sounds like it could be a physics/engine fuck up, similar to animals falling out of the sky as their grids load.

And depending on who fell, it could cause quest issues later on.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Antihippy wrote:
    Jesus, what I thought was a pretty small diversion turned into a huge ass dungeon crawl.

So the mask quests are always way too long?
    Bloodshed wrote:
    Antihippy wrote:
    Can someone breakdown the gem/enchant system for me? Or at least a good place to read up on it?

Here's the fat, overly wordy version:

(really awesome guide)

Thanks man. That's exactly the info I want to know about gems.

However, if I kill a creature with great soul, would it fill the petty soul gem?

No. It will say "no container large enough" or something like that.

However, you CAN fill a Greater/Grand gem with a petty soul. Beware.

• Options
    TACOnightmareTACOnightmare Registered User regular
    So I hear there's a cap on unarmed damage? 61 or some such? What the hell is up with that? And why isn't there a mod to fix it yet? I WANT TO PUNCH DRAGON HEADS OFF.

Someone linked me to something earlier today where they got unarmed up to 6,000 damage. I think it was through the heavy armor perk and abusing crafting the gauntlets.

But i heard that the heavy armor perk only goes off the base armor rating of the gauntlets. Improving your Heavy skill and improving the gauntlets doesn't increase your H2H damage. 46 damage is the cap for most races, but Kahjitiaadjdhal (the damn cat gypsies) get an innate +15 unarmed.

I found a woman running around the wild yelling, "wabbajack wabbajack wabbajack." Naturally, I killed her and defiled her corpse.

PSN: SmellyLemur
  • Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    So a friend told me yesterday theres some awesome quest dealing with all the dragon priest masks you collect. Is he lying? Because the way he described it sounded way to awesome to be true.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    So a friend told me yesterday theres some awesome quest dealing with all the dragon priest masks you collect. Is he lying? Because the way he described it sounded way to awesome to be true.

Not lying.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    :DDDDDDD I could not be more excited right now

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Finished the last Dark Brotherhood quest, kind of went a little Kaiser Soze at the end there. Spoilers obviously.

Killed the emperor, killed everyone on his ship, killed the guy who set me on the quest to begin with. What was kind of interesting was the implication that because astrid was not a "listener" there were a lot of dark sacraments going unanswered.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote:
    Finished the last DB quest, kind of went a little Kaiser Soze at the end there. Spoilers obviously.

Killed the emperor, killed everyone on his ship, killed the guy who set me on the quest to begin with. What was kind of interesting was the implication that because astrid was not a "listener" there were a lot of dark sacraments going unanswered.
    The recurring quests afterwards are all dark sacraments that you answer.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Seguer wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    Finished the last DB quest, kind of went a little Kaiser Soze at the end there. Spoilers obviously.

Yeah thats what I figured.

Also I like that when you join a thieves guild or an assassins guild you are a thief and an assassin. No sympathy, no pity. Just robbing people and shanking dudes.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote:
    Seguer wrote:
    Preacher wrote:

Also I like that when you join a thieves guild or an assassins guild you are a thief and an assassin. No sympathy, no pity. Just robbing people and shanking dudes.

Yeah they get that part down pretty good.

Mage's Guild:
    What little I've done so far hasn't really made me feel mage-y

• Options
    Old world monkeyOld world monkey Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I'm sorry if this has been posted, but if you enjoy darker dungeons / nights, drop the brightness to the 3rd lowest setting. It's does not - as one should think - make daytime too dark, at least not on my monitor. Light spells and torches are useful again!

Old world monkey on
  • Options
    I'm sorry if this has been posted, but if you enjoy darker dungeons / nights, drop the brightness to the 3rd lowest setting. It's does not - as one should think - make daytime too dark, at least not on my monitor. Light spells and torches are useful again!

Light is my antithesis.

(Thief)

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Seguer wrote:

Light is my antithesis.

(Thief)

Why they took Nighteye out as an enchantable property is beyond me.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    So Scimitars were the first weapons I picked up besides the iron crap you get in the tutorial.
    They're legendary right now and only need steel ingots to improve should I choose to do so. I thought to myself, "there is no way that these simple weapons could be end-game viable".

But they are

Looking up the base damage, it looks like only Daedric, Ebony, and Glass will ever outdamage them.
    Since I went up the left side of the smith tree, only Glass can actually out damage them.
    DAMMIT.

TACOnightmare on
    I found a woman running around the wild yelling, "wabbajack wabbajack wabbajack." Naturally, I killed her and defiled her corpse.

• Options
    Seguer wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    Seguer wrote:
    Preacher wrote:

Yeah they get that part down pretty good.

Mage's Guild:
    What little I've done so far hasn't really made me feel mage-y

It ramps up. Trust me.

• Options
    Ah cool, it's next on my list now that I've done Thieves and DB :D

• Options
    edited November 2011
    How far are you into it?

I really liked it, though it's the first major questline I focused on.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Beat the main quest and clocked it in at about 50 hours. Holy shit, the game just keeps giving and giving. I can honestly say that I've never played a game for 50 hours, beat it, and then immediately wanted to turn around and make a new character to try and do all the stuff I missed. Because even at level 42 and 50 hours in the game, I know for a fact that there was a bunch of stuff I missed. I can even look at the map and see clear chunks where I never went despite having literally dozens of places I've been already.

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    FightTest wrote:
    SniperGuy wrote:
    I feel like there actually aren't many opportunities to be good. A lot of the quests are steered towards evil, especially the thieves guild and the Dark Brotherhood. Why can't we have a paladin guild or something? I don't feel any incentive to not be evil.

Agreed. The DB and TG were choices you soughut out/caused in Oblivion. In Skyrim you're dumped into them by default which sucks.

You can kill Astrid when you wake up in the cottage. Then you get a quest to end the DB. Unfortunately it's kind of shitty since the DB quest chain is long and interesting whereas the anti-DB quest chain is just "go kill them" and that's it. Also annoying since the vampire girl isn't there since you can't kill children, even if they're hundreds of years old and undead.

If you want to be good you just don't do those quests... I wasn't automatically dumped into the thieves guild because I refused what would basically be your entry. That option is there for you.

I mean I guess if you were obsessed with doing all of the quests then yeah, you will be evil.

edit: As for opportunities to be good, I just spent the last hour walking to windhelm where I directed a former hostage to safety/agreed to bring vengeance upon her attackers, and when I arrived in Windhelm I promptly learned about racial injustice and a serial murderer which will probably turn into quests. So... yeah

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Beat the main quest and clocked it in at about 50 hours. Holy shit, the game just keeps giving and giving. I can honestly say that I've never played a game for 50 hours, beat it, and then immediately wanted to turn around and make a new character to try and do all the stuff I missed. Because even at level 42 and 50 hours in the game, I know for a fact that there was a bunch of stuff I missed. I can even look at the map and see clear chunks where I never went despite having literally dozens of places I've been already.

Ninja Snarl.

Look at my Steam Signature.

Look at it.

helpme

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Arthil wrote:

Ninja Snarl.

Look at my Steam Signature.

Look at it.

helpme

Now look at me.

• Options
    That's 7.5 hours a day. How do you have time to poop?

• Options
    That's 7.5 hours a day. How do you have time to poop?

This is not a question you really want the answer for

• Options
    edited November 2011
    You can poop in less than 5 mins.

Efficiency man. Efficiency. Plus fibre and a healthy diet.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    You see, a proper squat should not be rushed. Enjoy it

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Pro tip: even if it may seem like a good idea at the time, don't use the Storm Call shout during one of the civil war quests.
    I literally wiped out our whole force including Lydia while it didn't seem to affect the enemy much, leading to 10 angry Imperials beating my sorry ass.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    FightTest wrote:
    SniperGuy wrote:

If you want to be good you just don't do those quests... I wasn't automatically dumped into the thieves guild because I refused what would basically be your entry. That option is there for you.

I mean I guess if you were obsessed with doing all of the quests then yeah, you will be evil.

edit: As for opportunities to be good, I just spent the last hour walking to windhelm where I directed a former hostage to safety/agreed to bring vengeance upon her attackers, and when I arrived in Windhelm I promptly learned about racial injustice and a serial murderer which will probably turn into quests. So... yeah

Yeah, I've clocked in about 40 some hours now and I think I've been evil maybe three or four times. Plus I got drunk and fondled a statue of Dibella, so I'm not sure if that falls under good or evil. Though if it is evil then I don't want to be good. :winky:

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote:
    Elendil wrote:
    one thing I like about skyrim

you definitely get the goods for being evil

I seem to have inadvertently descended into demon worship

The reward for being evil is power and glory. The reward for being good is dick all in terms of material goods but the knowledge that you can sleep at night because you have not been evil.

Sounds pretty true to life to me.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Curses! The child has returned to haunt me, once again the little snot is traipsing the halls of the Jarl's glorified mud hut and asking me if I've come to lick boots!

I shall have to kill him more permanently this time.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

The reward for being evil is power and glory. The reward for being good is dick all in terms of material goods but the knowledge that you can sleep at night because you have not been evil.

Except this doesn't translate to video games at all. There should be rewards for being either one.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote:
    I love being good at restoration, because people say nice things

I feel so dumb. I just realized that guards remark on your skills - I just thought they said they were "aware of [my] honeyed words" since I was all up in dat thieves' guild...

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Frei wrote:
    SniperGuy wrote:
    Elendil wrote:

Except this doesn't translate to video games at all. There should be rewards for being either one.

Well you could always kill the quest giver and take their stuff after.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Basil wrote: »
    Curses! The child has returned to haunt me, once again the little snot is traipsing the halls of the Jarl's glorified mud hut and asking me if I've come to lick boots!

i'm not sayin there's a mod for this

but

there's a mod for this

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Eddy wrote:
    Basil wrote: »

i'm not sayin there's a mod for this

but

there's a mod for this

*squints*

There's a mod that remedies children coming back to life after I've stalked, murdered, zombified, murdered again, and loaded their ash pile up with the inventory of five guardsmen?

I think maybe I need to turn him into an undead thrall and keep his corpse in my basement like a pokemon.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Lawful EvilLawful Evil Registered User regular
    Is there any mod for summoning your horse? I'm playing a sneaky archer/dual-axe Elf and I tend to leave my horse a good distance away from caves/castles to get that really sneaky feeling. However, this often ends with me returning to that same spot and finding that my horse had gone away. I guess its because it charges at enemies while I'm away? I know that fast traveling returns to horse to you, but I'm trying to avoid any kind of fast travel.

Also, did anyone think of the Mass Effect 1 Mako the first time you rode your horse up a mountain cliff? That thing can climb a 80 degree slope with its suction horseshoes or something.

Do not believe that the impossible exists. That is why you fail.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote:

Oh, so that's what happened to that dog? Cause me and my friends just start calling Frodnar "Fuck you dog killer."

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.