As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Science fiction, and science FACT! (such as ANCIENT ALIENS)

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    straight up drink a glass of milk

• Options
    FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Matey wrote:
    icebergs are a myth propagated by the wealthy minority because they like the idea of big chunks of ice to cool their freshly crushed mint mojitos

in the case their ice machines stopped working and they needed ice brought in via helicopter

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/feb/01/glacier-thief-arrested-ice-cubes

Foolproof on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    so i spent like half the day before work reading this thread about conspiracy theories on something awful

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451765&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

it's truly incredible

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    stop it japan youre not fooling anyone you are onky embaressing yourself!!

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    We talking miak in here?

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The Geek wrote:
    Milk has its uses but should never be consumed straight up!!

I'm gonna drink a glass of milk when I get home tonight just to spite you.
    I will throw up in your honor!

Oh god this milk is so good. Unnghhhhh.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I'm lactose intolerant.

It blows because I kinda dig cheese.

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    i don't drink milk ever, it grosses me out for some reason

milk in cereal, though

you can count. me. in.

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    i cant really drink plain milk, even lactose free milk kinda grosses me out

strawberry milk though....!

Uggggggh guh ugh yuck pitooey groossss

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Two percent milk though drink that all damn day.

Glug glug glug, milk from a jug

Langly on
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote:
    Yeah but I'm talking about the entire Earth as a whole

not just the temperature of some water in one place on the Earth

Seawater can actually go below zero C and not freeze. Just a couple degrees (if that, maybe only like -1)

it can! but the average is 16 degrees

and more ice melting than usual lowers that global average seawater temperature

which affects the whole water cycle!

Are you trying to tell me, that if you had a glass of water, with ice cubes in it, and you stuck a hairdryer pointed at it, to melt the ice cubes faster, the water would be colder than if you didn't use the hairdryer?
    That sounds ass backwards based on what I know about thermodynamics. My expectation is that in both cases, the water will be the same temperature in either case, however one will have used way more ice to "maintain" that temperature.

Sometimes science is counter-intuitive however.
    Is anyone willing to try this experiment?

• Options
    edited February 2012
    the ocean cools because there is now millions and millions of gallons of colder water in it, flowing in the currents, when it was originally concentrated in glaciers, as ice.

Edit, and since antarctica sits on a landmass, it adds to the volume of the ocean as well. It isn't floating on water.

Langly on
  • Options
    Er, the ice on antarctica, I guess. antarctica is the landmass

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote:
    Yeah but I'm talking about the entire Earth as a whole

not just the temperature of some water in one place on the Earth

Seawater can actually go below zero C and not freeze. Just a couple degrees (if that, maybe only like -1)

it can! but the average is 16 degrees

and more ice melting than usual lowers that global average seawater temperature

which affects the whole water cycle!

Are you trying to tell me, that if you had a glass of water, with ice cubes in it, and you stuck a hairdryer pointed at it, to melt the ice cubes faster, the water would be colder than if you didn't use the hairdryer?
    That sounds ass backwards based on what I know about thermodynamics. My expectation is that in both cases, the water will be the same temperature in either case, however one will have used way more ice to "maintain" that temperature.

Sometimes science is counter-intuitive however.
    Is anyone willing to try this experiment?

If we're assuming you are somehow only getting the blow dryer to give heat to the ice, the ice would melt faster than it would if it were just exposed to the water, and then it would turn into 0 C water, cooling the temperature of the water.

So you would theoretically see the temperature of the water drop faster than if you didn't heat the ice cubes.

But the temperature of the system is not just the temperature of the water. You have to factor in the temp of the ice, + the state change into water.

However, if you compared both systems, the one where you applied the blow dryer would eventually rise to a greater temperature than the system where you did not apply the blow dryer. Assuming these are isolated systems where ambient air temperature isn't taking over the whole process.

Now, I have probably succeeded in confusing anyone who bothered to read this because I sure as fuck confused myself

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Sometimes I give serious thought to going vegetarian because of the huge environmental impact of the meat industry

but then I remember that meat is delicious

(man I could PROBABLY swing vegetarian if you had a gun to my head, but you are prying my cheese and eggs from my cold, dead hands. Vegans, I salute you but you are insane)

• Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote:
    Sometimes I give serious thought to going vegetarian because of the huge environmental impact of the meat industry

but then I remember that meat is delicious

(man I could PROBABLY swing vegetarian if you had a gun to my head, but you are prying my cheese and eggs from my cold, dead hands. Vegans, I salute you but you are insane)

I'm doing an Ethics class where our prof basically did a class arguing that there is no real moral/ethical justification for eating meat. It was interesting, but ultimately ignorable due to one fact: Meat is fucking tasty.

• Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Man if you think deer are bad with headlights and cars in the middle of the night, you don't even want to know about cows.

So eat more meat to keep their populations down.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    also the meat industry ain't gonna stop unless a whole lot more people go vegetarian so hell might as well buckle in and enjoy the ride

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    All I'm saying is that Bambi would be more authentic if you replaced the gun shot with tires screeching.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Isn't another major factor of the melting ice the fact that it is freshwater, and dumping a lot of freshwater into a saltwater system is bad

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Fandyien wrote:
    so i spent like half the day before work reading this thread about conspiracy theories on something awful

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3451765&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

it's truly incredible

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propaganda_Due

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

• Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    Well, what amused me was his argument that the meat industry is terrible and that all cattle are raised in cramped conditions a la the meat farms in the U.S. Basically he was arguing that this made eating the meat unethical as it caused suffering to the animals and made their lives generally shitty, which I agree with when it comes to factory farming like that.

Problem is, most of the beef people eat up here is local and from personal experience, I can attest that his claims about cattle farms are complete bullshit when it comes to Alberta. But then again, I tend to not try to argue with university profs, especially ones like this guy who are a fan of smacking down dissenting opinions with scholarly articles and thinking that the lack of rebuttal proves him correct. To put this is context, this is a second year level course for undergraduates.

In short, university is annoying.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Artreus wrote:
    Isn't another major factor of the melting ice the fact that it is freshwater, and dumping a lot of freshwater into a saltwater system is bad

yes, in fact one of the predictions of this is a fucked up Jet Stream causing colder temperatures in Europe (which is, coincidentally, experiencing a massive cold snap at the moment)

there is also albedo, which is the tendency of stuff to reflect.

Ice reflects a lot of heat back into space. Less ice = less albedo = more heat = accelerated warming

also there is the factor of permafrost warming up and releasing more greenhouse gases. = accelerated warming

basically there is no stopping it

Al_wat on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    This was an interesting read. It applies more to Australia than the US in terms of environment, though I suppose.

http://theconversation.edu.au/ordering-the-vegetarian-meal-theres-more-animal-blood-on-your-hands-4659

• Options
    All being orchestrated by aliens from Venus.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    BYToady wrote:
    All being orchestrated by aliens from Venus.

Those fuckers.

• Options
    While thematically my post would make more sense under Al_wat's post, it can work with any post.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Al_wat wrote:
    Artreus wrote:

yes, in fact one of the predictions of this is a fucked up Jet Stream causing colder temperatures in Europe (which is, coincidentally, experiencing a massive cold snap at the moment)

there is also albedo, which is the tendency of stuff to reflect.

Ice reflects a lot of heat back into space. Less ice = less albedo = more heat = accelerated warming

also there is the factor of permafrost warming up and releasing more greenhouse gases. = accelerated warming

basically there is no stopping it

Also heating of the ocean reduces its ability to absorb CO2.

and dead zones...There's a link between increased water temperature and there prevalence right?

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Gatsby wrote:
    This was an interesting read. It applies more to Australia than the US in terms of environment, though I suppose.

http://theconversation.edu.au/ordering-the-vegetarian-meal-theres-more-animal-blood-on-your-hands-4659

Interesting article, but as you said, not really applicable to the US. As I understand it most US cows are not pasture-fed, but instead raised on a steady diet of farmed grains. Seems like in AMURRICA it's more environmentally friendly to eat the plants instead of having it converted into cow

if I lived in Australia though, I'd be eating the hell out of some kangaroo meat

Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    Gatsby wrote:

Reading this just makes me feel that there's no winning with this planet...

• Options
    Didgeridoo wrote:
    Gatsby wrote:

Interesting article, but as you said, not really applicable to the US. As I understand it most US cows are not pasture-fed, but instead raised on a steady diet of farmed grains. Seems like in AMURRICA it's more environmentally friendly to eat the plants instead of having it converted into cow

if I lived in Australia though, I'd be eating the hell out of some kangaroo meat

Hope you like eating shit loads more corn!

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Didgeridoo wrote:
    Gatsby wrote:

Kangaroo is fucking delicious. It's like a slightly tougher, heftier steak.

• Options
    Gatsby wrote:

Reading this just makes me feel that there's no winning with this planet...

Read up on what has to be done to make the batteries for electric cars.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    BYToady wrote:
    Didgeridoo wrote:
    Gatsby wrote:

Pfffffffft like they're not shoveling it into everything I eat already

• Options
    Didgeridoo wrote:
    BYToady wrote:
    Didgeridoo wrote:
    Gatsby wrote:

Pfffffffft like they're not shoveling it into everything I eat already

First ingredient listed in this box of girl scout cookies I'm eating...

High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    I hope you're eating Thin Mints, which are the only acceptable girl scout cookie

• Options
    You know what I've wondered lately

We always focus on greenhouse gas emissions as a huge factor in Global warming. And this completely makes sense.

But how much impact is all the heat civilization actually outputs having? Would it be significant or just a drop in the bucket?

Like all the oil we pump out of the ground - a lot of it gets converted to CO2 and then ends up in the air. But it is also all burned, releasing heat. Nuclear Power Stations release a shitload of heat into the environment. How much impact could this all be having?

It might be negligible, I don't know.

• Options
    Didgeridoo wrote:
    I hope you're eating Thin Mints, which are the only acceptable girl scout cookie

I already bought and ate all the boxes of those. I'm finishing up this last box of Lemonades right now.

My coworker's daughter is going to be able to open her own chapter of the girl scouts by the time they're done with me.

Battletag BYToady#1454
This discussion has been closed.