As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sparks On] Mario Kart 7! Community codes now in second post!

• Options
    LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    Tommatt wrote:
    This comes out Sunday right?
    Knight_ wrote:
    Mmm, that first video is clearly snaking. I'm totally out if snaking is back, it ruined MKDS for me :/

Learn to wiggle left and right?

I was really worried about snaking when I picked up MK DS, then. I realized it was just knowing how to boost speed like in MK64

In all fairness, the threshold for wiggling left and right in MKDS to mini-turbo is fairly high, especially since you're on a D-Pad and the DS doesn't have the best of grip if you have big hands. I could do it, but damn it cramped my hand after a while.

SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    LordOfMeep wrote:
    Tommatt wrote:
    Knight_ wrote:
    Mmm, that first video is clearly snaking. I'm totally out if snaking is back, it ruined MKDS for me :/

I was really worried about snaking when I picked up MK DS, then. I realized it was just knowing how to boost speed like in MK64

In all fairness, the threshold for wiggling left and right in MKDS to mini-turbo is fairly high, especially since you're on a D-Pad and the DS doesn't have the best of grip if you have big hands. I could do it, but damn it cramped my hand after a while.

I get that but so many people talk about how it ruined the game and had me so worried. Maybe I played too much MK64 but it didn't seem that differen/gamebreaking.

• Options
    I guess it's just a matter of whether or not you consider spending a majority of the race flailing left and right "the right way to play the game." Some people would just prefer not doing much work beyond drifting at turns and worrying when the blue shell is going to screw them over, because they feel Mario Kart is a game where they should just be able to relax and enjoy playing without some sort of high-level competitive element getting in the way of that spirit. Then there's people who think making your arm tired moving your thumb on a D-Pad as rapidly as you can is the lifeblood of the game and anyone who says otherwise is a "casual" or "scrub" who is "ruining the game," that every game with any remotely competitive element NEEDS some sort of glass-ceiling high-execution technique to be good.

I fall somewhere in the middle. I do admit that I can get pretty competitive when playing almost anything but I don't think every game needs to be a fighting game where glass-ceiling execution should be the focus of everything. Take Mario Kart Wii, for instance. You wanna go faster, just wheelie. Doesn't require rapidly mashing anything, just takes knowing when to use it and when not to. Regular drifting is also important, you need to know when to take what turns when, and how to best approach one so you spend the least amount of time turning. There's at least 2 shortcuts in MKWii that are about going up a halfpipe and using the momentum to cross a large gap, I consider that something that actually takes skill and not simply testing the speed and endurance to friction of your thumb.

If snaking is truly back in Mario Kart 7? It's won't bother me. You know why? Because it'll be less about glass-ceiling d-pad violating and more about knowing when and where to use it. It's that thinking factor that makes techniques fun to use for me, not the muscle memory aspect of it.

SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    Tommatt wrote:
    LordOfMeep wrote:
    Tommatt wrote:
    Knight_ wrote:

I get that but so many people talk about how it ruined the game and had me so worried. Maybe I played too much MK64 but it didn't seem that differen/gamebreaking.

it was like mario kart64, the only issue is it gave you too much of a boost. Reduce the speed boost it gives you and it's just a small advantage. I have no problem with "snaking" at all.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    @TelMarine. If I remember my experiences from MKDS correctly, the reason it doesn't bother you is that you are an inhuman robot sent from the future to devestate us mere mortals at Mario Kart. :P

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    LordOfMeep wrote:
    Well, I've seen 2 methods of "griefing" thus far in Mario Kart Wii, and only through other videos.

They all involve deliberately hanging out on one area on the track, preferably one with item boxes, and hitting anyone who comes your way, interfering with the race.

A friend showed me a video of someone mimicking the Mii-driven car obstacles on Coconut Mall, but I can't find the video myself. It was pretty funny, though. "I was just doing what they did!"

Oh, reminds me of a guy I raced once.

He'd typically wait for me to pass and then nail me from behind with an item.

We were the only two racing. I did not go for a rematch.
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Metal Mario is Mario's rival?

What?

They kinda Metal Sonic'd him in the original Super Smash Bros.

And a few other side games: Dr. Mario 64 and Mario Golf.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    I just bought the game, almost out of habit. I have to say, the art on the cartridge is pretty ugly.
    Popping it in now.

bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    Kafka87Kafka87 Registered User regular
    I bought it today too.

And seriously for a minute? Fuck Toad.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    If online play works as well, or better than MKWii, this may be what sells me on a 3DS. I was holding out for a Castlevania.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    If MKWii and MKDS had a baby, this game would be it. With a few bits (coins, some sound effects, animation intros) showing its MK64 and SMK lineage.

bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    NaturalNarcissistNaturalNarcissist Registered User regular
    There's no mission mode? The hell is with that?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Good news

Found a place 16 minutes away that broke street date

Bad news

Just got called into work for a few hours and the only have 2 copies :o

And of course I get there and then he says he can't sell it to me :/

Tommatt on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    I have it.... has anyone set up a PA community yet?

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    LordOfMeep wrote:
    I guess it's just a matter of whether or not you consider spending a majority of the race flailing left and right "the right way to play the game." Some people would just prefer not doing much work beyond drifting at turns and worrying when the blue shell is going to screw them over, because they feel Mario Kart is a game where they should just be able to relax and enjoy playing without some sort of high-level competitive element getting in the way of that spirit. Then there's people who think making your arm tired moving your thumb on a D-Pad as rapidly as you can is the lifeblood of the game and anyone who says otherwise is a "casual" or "scrub" who is "ruining the game," that every game with any remotely competitive element NEEDS some sort of glass-ceiling high-execution technique to be good.

I fall somewhere in the middle. I do admit that I can get pretty competitive when playing almost anything but I don't think every game needs to be a fighting game where glass-ceiling execution should be the focus of everything. Take Mario Kart Wii, for instance. You wanna go faster, just wheelie. Doesn't require rapidly mashing anything, just takes knowing when to use it and when not to. Regular drifting is also important, you need to know when to take what turns when, and how to best approach one so you spend the least amount of time turning. There's at least 2 shortcuts in MKWii that are about going up a halfpipe and using the momentum to cross a large gap, I consider that something that actually takes skill and not simply testing the speed and endurance to friction of your thumb.

If snaking is truly back in Mario Kart 7? It's won't bother me. You know why? Because it'll be less about glass-ceiling d-pad violating and more about knowing when and where to use it. It's that thinking factor that makes techniques fun to use for me, not the muscle memory aspect of it.

My biggest issue with snaking is that it completely overwhelmed any other skill. If someone knew how to snake in MKDS at all the only possible way to beat them was to snake even better. Without snaking you can use items to hold others back, use your kart selection to allow you to take advantage of shortcuts while sacrificing top speed, or use a big heavy mofo to get going fast and simply outrace every else on the track. There's a lot of room for different play styles that can all be successful to varying degrees, but snaking eliminated all of them and reduced the entire game to one mechanic and one mechanic only. It didn't matter how skillfully you navigated the track and used your items; it was completely impossible for a non-snaker to defeat a snaker.

• Options
    plufim wrote:
    I have it.... has anyone set up a PA community yet?

Not yet, but when someone does be sure to include the cc/battle mode type and item rule you created the community with when posting it. I will put it in the second post of the thread.

SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The boost mechanic is the same as mario kart wii. Snaking will be very difficult.

edit: tell you what, I'll start up a simple community in a minute then. Any name suggestions?

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I decided to be boring, since this is just our first community.

Name: PA G+T all items
    Mode: 150cc Race
    Items: All

community code: 43-4994-2884-9904

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    Wangopolis
    150cc
    Mushroom only

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    What are all the options when creating a community, plufim?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Someone on GameFAQs has been compiling a list of approximate stats for karts/wheels/gliders and posting them on Mario Wiki. It's not complete yet but it's worth checking out for your minmaxing needs. Do note, however, that there are "spoilers," especially on that embargoed 1 star in all cups unlock.
    It's just a gold set of wheels.

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Sunday can't come quick enough. Luckily I don't have to work until Monday, so I can just sit around and be sick with all this mucus.

No mission mode is a downer!! That was a fun diversion that would have been cool to see them expand upon, not give the axe. But on the upside, I saw a vid with a shyguy riding on top of a magic carpet. NOSTALGIA

• Options
    What are all the options when creating a community, plufim?

Any person can create up to 8 communities. You can set a name up to 16 characters long. Then you get to pick the rule sets: Races of each speed (50, 100, 150 and mirror), coin battle or balloon battle. Then you customize the items: either all, shells, bananas, mushrooms, bob-ombs or no items at all.

I was also looking forward to a mission mode, I suspect it was dumped in favor of finished the game as soon as possible. The new tracks are really good though.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    @TelMarine. If I remember my experiences from MKDS correctly, the reason it doesn't bother you is that you are an inhuman robot sent from the future to devestate us mere mortals at Mario Kart. :P

Hard to believe that was 6 years ago now, crazy! Fun times though.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I think for this game spoiler tags aren't super necessary. Shit, Nintendo has all the hidden characters right out in the open on the official site.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Here's what I'd like to see PA G&T communities for:
    No Items
    Mushrooms only
    Balloon Battle
    Coin Runners

I'm assuming item balance will still be in effect when the item selection is set to mushrooms (with players in the back being more likely to receive a triple or golden mushroom), so that would be a good way to equalize races without all of the annoying junk like blue shells.

• Options
    Done and done.

Mushrooms only (150cc):
    "PA G+T shrooms" 33-0669-5329-7452

No items (150cc):
    "PA G+T no items" 55-1602-6506-8147

Balloon battle (all items):
    "PA G+T balloon" 07-4560-6331-1533

Coin runners (all items):
    "PA G+T coin" 03-5820-0281-0587

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TelMarine wrote:

Hard to believe that was 6 years ago now, crazy! Fun times though.

TelMarine is R.O.B.?

Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I think since there's no dry bones, I'm gonna havta go with Lakitu, since he's also light, plus his goggles looks pretty cool!

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    NO ITEMS, 150CC, TOAD CIRCUIT ONLY.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Hows this thing feel while playing? My only worry is while playing OoT that having to use the shoulder buttons during Z targeting and stuff can be kind of a pain. Gonna guess one of the should buttons is used to hop/drift, so will have to be held down at least for a few seconds at a time frequently

• Options
    edited December 2011
    R is drift, L (Or X) is item. If you want to protect yourself from red/green shells you'll need to hold that down to drag an item behind you, too.

EDIT: Oh and Classic Game Room posted their first half of the review, which I feel compelled to post here because Mark is currently my favorite game reviewer type person due to his laid back style and lack of cynicism and spite. (It's also where my current av + sig comes from)

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    I think since there's no dry bones, I'm gonna havta go with Lakitu, since he's also light, plus his goggles looks pretty cool!

This was my thought too, I love light characters, and he's also the only new character to the series who really makes sense in my opinion.

Not that I hate the rest but they just feel like they don't fit in well. Like Funky Kong in the last game, or Petey Piranha in DD.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    God. I can't wait to wait for Xmas and not get a 3DS so I can go out and get one and this (and the other Mario game). I will be in on all this racing for sure. Any of you guys go on XBL and chat on there while racing?

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Shy Guy is fine (technically not new). I was on the fence about Wiggler, then I saw that he turns red after geting hit by something. So he gets a pass.

Also, I hate how they killed classic battle mode. Bring back Elimination, assholes!

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Time trial is the best it's been. Spotpass pulls down time data to create a curve which shows where your best time ranks in the world. There are staff ghosts available from the get-go to challenge (some from nintendo, some from retro), and spotpass pulls 7 ghosts from online for given tracks to challenge.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Tommatt wrote:
    Hows this thing feel while playing? My only worry is while playing OoT that having to use the shoulder buttons during Z targeting and stuff can be kind of a pain. Gonna guess one of the should buttons is used to hop/drift, so will have to be held down at least for a few seconds at a time frequently

That was one of the gripes in my review; it was a bit of a pain in my hand, though it dulled a bit... I find that not dragging items behind you all the time helps a lot, but then that leaves you open and with only a couple of seconds to react if you hear a shell.

For this, I hope for a 3DS XL, though customizable buttons might have helped instead.

Oh, and sometimes, instead of drifting, I would get a rapid series of hops. :P
    Not that I hate the rest but they just feel like they don't fit in well. Like Funky Kong in the last game, or Petey Piranha in DD.

I really wanted to use Funky Kong, too. Never got anywhere close.

Drives me nuts. I don't care about his stats, which I hear are godly. Much like R.O.B., I just want to play as the damn characters I like. :(
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Also, I hate how they killed classic battle mode. Bring back Elimination, assholes!

This might not even be so bad, but the time limit is so short, and you can't even customize it.

• Options
    Kafka87Kafka87 Registered User regular
    So I think the Kart&Part upgrade unlocks are random every time. None of the guides I've found online correlate to the parts or order that I've currently unlocked. Am I wrong?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Can you drag items behind you for defence when online now? You couldn't in MKDS.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Why am I still here not picking up MK 7?

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm only now finding out MK7 allows you to steer with your hands the same manly fashion as MKWii. I must have this.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767