As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sparks On] Mario Kart 7! Community codes now in second post!

• Options
    Sangheili91Sangheili91 Registered User regular
    Ahh the wait for Christmas is going to kill me. I'm so jealous of all of you.

• Options
    LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    Kafka87 wrote:
    So I think the Kart&Part upgrade unlocks are random every time. None of the guides I've found online correlate to the parts or order that I've currently unlocked. Am I wrong?

Yeah, all the part unlocks are random. The only concrete one is the one you get for 1-starring everything.

I like how some of the wheels have such a strong effect that you can take nearly any character and mold them into your preferred playing archetype. Like if I wanted to play Rosalina, but didn't like playing a heavy character I could totally turn her into a lightweight with the roller wheels and the right karts.

At first I was kind of disappointed that the A + B mini-turbo from stop technique is gone, but then I realized that doing that basically makes acceleration a meaningful stat again. Handling affecting drift is much the same way. Now you kind of have to find the right balance between the three that best suits your playstyle, as opposed to dumping everything into speed on an in-drifter bike and winning all the time (This is why Funky got the treatment he did). You wanna recover from attacks faster? Pump it into acceleration. You wanna go faster and are confident enough to stay in first? Go with speed. You wanna drift like you're in an in-drifter bike? Put it all in handling.

SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    Ahh the wait for Christmas is going to kill me. I'm so jealous of all of you.

That's how I'm feeling right about now, too.

steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    This game is awesome. Best 16 new tracks ever.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    WOO MARIO KART WOO

Sorry I'm not really playing online with peeps yet. I mean you gotta unlock all the characters and parts and stuff! Got to get the lay of the land and learn the tracks.

As expected I love the super long three-parter tracks. For one thing they minimize the importance/effects of stuff like bananas and green shells, but the main thing is just the variety when compared to the regular tracks. Rainbow Road is the best Rainbow Road in the series.

Also they seriously picked the best retro tracks possible. I already mentioned Waluigi Pinball, Daisy Cruiser, N64 beach and train, Maple Treeway...but all the rest are awesome too. SNES represented well with a classic Mario course and Rainbow Road, GBA represented with one of their Bowser races (admittedly GBA is poorly represented here...), the DK snow mountain, the track with Stampy the dinosaur...it's just the best.

The boost mechanic where you hop whenever you go over a jump feels good. I did a couple random rounds online and it seems that not everyone has figured this out yet, because I actually did decently for a few races rather than getting destroyed.

Flying feels great, underwater...I don't dislike, but it feels very little different from normal racing. I like how they integrated both into older tracks too.

Oh, by the way, in case people want to know how to unlock characters, simply:
    Win the gold cup in every 150cc race. I don't think you need three stars, just the gold cup for earning the most points. You were probably going to do that anyway, but just sayin'. I started at 50cc expecting to pick up some things along the way but not really...I got Mii after totally beating 50cc, and nothing in 100cc. Kind of sad, I thought there'd be more point to earlier ccs but I did 'em anyway.

Also this video is very helpful - there are different levels of starting boosts!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AebC0LW1MsQ

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    Just picked this game up... I'm loving it. Haven't gone through all the tracks yet but I'm looking forward to racing you guys while I'm on the toilet.

Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Blue shells can still die in a fire, but I'm glad they at least fuck up some people on the way over.

They really need to go back to the classic N64/Super Circuit version. Less damaging, and easier to dodge.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    I think the most annoying thing about blue shells here is that if you get hit with the explosion, it will always make you tumble in the direction of the nearest bottomless pit, physics be damned. If it can't find one, then it'll just make you go backwards.

SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Blue shells can still die in a fire, but I'm glad they at least fuck up some people on the way over.

They really need to go back to the classic N64/Super Circuit version. Less damaging, and easier to dodge.

Agree, Blue Shells are aggravating as hell, specially with how much more time you spend in the air in this one. Hit with a blue shell during a glider section? Have fun falling for 10 seconds and having to get roped out and put 100 miles backwards. Insta-8th.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I'm with Spork, once I get some unlocks and learn some tracks I'll be online like a mutherfucker.

• Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    Knight_ wrote:
    Agree, Blue Shells are aggravating as hell, specially with how much more time you spend in the air in this one. Hit with a blue shell during a glider section? Have fun falling for 10 seconds and having to get roped out and put 100 miles backwards. Insta-8th.

The damn red shells hit you when you're gliding too... How can a game I already love so much make me so angry?

On the positive side, these courses are amazing. Rock Rock Mountain is my new favorite.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    cpu is deadly with green shells.

• Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I will give my code and all that good stuff once I get started. Just bought my 3DS today. Woo!

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    How does one pull off tricks? I can't seem to figure it out.

• Options
    ARRRRRRRR matey.

• Options
    Well it happened again like it usually does.

I was out driving just now and felt an irresistible urge to go into a drift a couple hundred feet before a turn. Also I thought about hopping as I went over a railroad crossing hill.
    Knight_ wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:

Maybe I've just been lucky but in many cases when I get hit partway through a flying section, they deposit me in the landing area.

But anyway yeah blue shells. I won't complain about them because I feel like they're a necessary part of the game, the great equalizer. A few times in 150cc I hung back in the third lap and was able to come in first because of one.

And then this other time I was briefly in first, noticed that someone had a blue shell, braked really hard...like 5 people passed me, but the blue shell still went after and hit me. :x They'd released it before I started braking and we were all pretty close together.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    It the best reason to always go for high acceleration so that when you are in a group and going to get nuked you'll be the one to get ahead of the pack.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    So just played my first game. I noticed all cc's were unlocked but did 50cc just to get a feel for it. Dominated easily.

Is there any reason to play 50cc and 100cc in single player mode? Or should I just jump to 150cc and will that unlock everything?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The only reasons to do 50 and 100cc:

- Completion's sake, get three stars on every cup
    - Learn the courses, the way they handle, and find shortcuts before things get really intense
    - Earn coins quickly and easily for unlocking cart parts against less aggressive AI
    - You need at least one star on every cup and cc to unlock a certain cart part (the easy way)

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am really liking the track design this time around. Although the truly ace tracks don't show up until Star Cup, it's solid all around.

Also, coins capping at 10 was a great idea. By which I mean 10 is the max you can have period, as opposed to SMK/MKSC letting you hold over 10 but only getting the max benefit at 10.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    It does count coins you have over ten for unlocking purposes and of course picking them up offers a chance to deny your foes from collecting, so it may be wise to go after them.

Depending on the course however they are usually not on the best lines for dealing with the curves though some of the shortcuts are filled with them.

• Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    Thank you Nintendo for making it really really easy to get *** on 50cc. Now I never have to play that painfully slow class again. Blue shells still suck, as does lightning. The worst part though is not that they exist, but their raw frequency. Lightning in particular should be a once-in-a-cup occurrence, but both of those often show up multiple times in a single race (although seemingly less often than in previous games). Otherwise this really feels like Mario Kart DS 2, and that's a very very good thing in my book.

• Options
    That's not what I mean. Coins have a purpose beyond ten, of course. I think they also give you a tiny speed boost when you collect them too, regardless of how man you got.

But the problem with coins in the other games was that you could easily get 20+ by lap two. So unless you just got rained on with shells and falls, it didn't matter as much. With 7, you will suffer a speed drop when you eat a hit unless you have no coins.

And yes, the better tracks tend to put coins on the outer part of turns and place them in/over traps.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    I am really liking the track design this time around. Although the truly ace tracks don't show up until Star Cup, it's solid all around.

Also, coins capping at 10 was a great idea. By which I mean 10 is the max you can have period, as opposed to SMK/MKSC letting you hold over 10 but only getting the max benefit at 10.

Except for when you're heading for the finish line and get creamed by a blue shell/lightning bolt and spew coins everywhere. Especially fun if you get hit by both in succession and go from 10->4 without a chance to reclaim any of them.

• Options
    Chris FOM wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:

Except for when you're heading for the finish line and get creamed by a blue shell/lightning bolt and spew coins everywhere. Especially fun if you get hit by both in succession and go from 10->4 without a chance to reclaim any of them.

If its not a tight race sometimes a throw it in reverse and spin around to collect them all when that happens.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    The only reasons to do 50 and 100cc:

- Completion's sake, get three stars on every cup
    - Learn the courses, the way they handle, and find shortcuts before things get really intense
    - Earn coins quickly and easily for unlocking cart parts against less aggressive AI
    - You need at least one star on every cup and cc to unlock a certain cart part (the easy way)

So If I just do 150cc and get three stars on it all I'll unlock everything but one thing I need to 1 star every cup at every cc?

I don't mind spoilers If you want to post or pm me the unlockable. If I can just play on 150cc and unlock everything I would like that. 50cc seemed like a joke and eventually I'll be online only.
    Is it the gold wheels I've read about?

Also is 150cc the quickest way to unlock characters?

• Options
    yes

• Options
    Added all the codes to my favorites. CCF and myself are on the first one now.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    george-xgeorge-x New YorkRegistered User regular
    So I was on a big of a MK64 tear with my girlfriend last night, prompted me to pick this up today. Insanely fun - I still miss Double Dash's character changes, but the game handles superbly.
    LordOfMeep wrote:
    PA Community Codes! Join us!

Racing Communities:

PA G+T all items (150cc) (All Items) - 43-4994-2884-9904

PA G+T shrooms (150cc) (Mushrooms only) - 33-0669-5329-7452

PA G+T no items (150cc) (No items) - 55-1602-6506-8147

Battle Communities:

PA G+T balloon (Balloon Battle) (All items) - 07-4560-6331-1533

PA G+T coin (Coin Runners) (All items) - 03-5820-0281-0587

Anybody on now? I'm down for a few games.

roster.gif
  • Options
    redfield85 wrote:
    Added all the codes to my favorites. CCF and myself are on the first one now.

I don't see you guys - I'd be down for a few runs now!

roster.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Maybe we have to friend you? We are in the middle of a set. I will get him to jump out quick.

edit: Can you see us now? We are in-between races. It lists who is in the next match. Give us like 5-10 to finish this then we will grab ya.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Scoping out 150cc All Items G&T one, says there's one group playing. I'll wait!

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    Just finished. We will wait for ya. I am champ yet again!

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In - woo!

Edit: You just got dethrone'd :) That was fun. Whats the timing for the turbo start?

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    Photo finish....for second. Haha.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow that was an awesomely close match. This is way fun online

Edit: Holy shit, bouncing me off that mushroom in mid-air just cost me the match. Well played

george-x on
    roster.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    !!!!

7s all over (not the power up). Into the final race!

edit: I can't believe that. So amazing. Haha.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    CCF23CCF23 Registered User regular
    Way too close.

CCFForum-Sedan-2-2.jpg
  • Options
    The last portion of the course I got NO ITEMS. I missed the final stretch box and made it past you guys by pure [strike]skill[/strike] luck.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    Ha - wow I just ate shit that round. Really rough.

So what's the timing on the fast start? It seems different than MK:DD

roster.gif