As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sparks On] Mario Kart 7! Community codes now in second post!

• Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Oh yeah, I think Iwata said in one of the Iwata Ask's interviews that one of the milestones they wanted to hit with Mario Kart 7 was a rock solid 60 FPS framerate in 3D as well as in regular mode.

Presumably they sacrificed some muscle to get that done.

Say what you want about Nintendo graphics, you have still got to admire their commitment to technical proficiency.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Until they get rid of rubberbanding completely, I can never enjoy a Mario Kart game.

one of the most depressing things I've ever read

you might lose sometimes even if you're racing better but you will win most of the time.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Sterling ripped MK7 pretty hard on Destuctoid haha!!! It's a good review, and prob right on a lot of accounts, from the perspective of someone who doesn't just want a sequel to MKDS.

There was NOTHING good about his review, and it was blatant and idiotic trolling throughout.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Besides going on a bit too much with the assertions, the review seemed fine to me.

The dude is obviously not consistent in his logic (heaping the praise on CoD), but I am skeptical Mario Kart 7 is going to do anything terribly new here. Especially without a gimmick like DD or Wii.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Besides going on a bit too much with the assertions, the review seemed fine to me.

The dude is obviously not consistent in his logic (heaping the praise on CoD), but I am skeptical Mario Kart 7 is going to do anything terribly new here. Especially without a gimmick like DD or Wii.

The gimmick is customizable karts, gliding and underwater racing. If motion control steering on the Wii was considered a big gimmick for it, that's present here too (I'm pretty sure) and you can also race in first person. And portable and 3D and with online rooms for easy grouping, if you count those.

I still think that's more significant than what DD did. Two racers per kart sounds zany and awesome but in practice it just means you can hold two items at once and pick what your special item's going to be.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    The review mentions all those and states how little they matter in the grand scheme of things.

Which it certainly looks like in the videos. Besides opening up an alternate path here or there, it's not like the experience is terribly different from any other MK. Shit, Rare did this and went a step further in DKR. And that was over ten years ago.

Obviously he didn't like that. I'm sure I would enjoy some Mario Kart 7, but different strokes and such.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote:

The game is well over 50% new content and he specifically called it out for being a pathetic rehash with less content than a new Madden game. There is nothing fine about saying that, it's as Tycho say's, "Assholes or retards."
    He also did his very best to devalue any and all new features saying they were inconsequential or flat out fake. Then there is also the fact that he's calling people that are calling him out for his inconsistency in reviewing of late (IE: MW3 doesn't do anything new but what it does it does well 9.5, MK7 is the same thing again even though it isn't 5) stupid in the comments.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    The review mentions all those and states how little they matter in the grand scheme of things.

Which it certainly looks like in the videos. Besides opening up an alternate path here or there, it's not like the experience is terribly different from any other MK. Shit, Rare did this and went a step further in DKR. And that was over ten years ago.

Obviously he didn't like that. I'm sure I would enjoy some Mario Kart 7, but different strokes and such.

Of course, but that's just one opinion. I've read lots of opinions saying DD's gimmick doesn't matter in the grand scheme either, nor does Wii's bikes (which simply boiled down to "yeah these are basically the best vehicles, get used to them").

Other reviews also call out the gliding and underwater as being of little consequence, but in that case you've got other gimmicks above to choose from. And others are saying the kart customization is actually pretty cool.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Again, I'm failing to see what is so new it makes the game that fresh. Which isn't a bad thing if you like Mario Kart anyways.

You get the very standard new courses and item or two. You get new characters, and let's be frank and admit that this crop is very sub-par (Metal Mario?).

You can mix and match car parts from a limited pool. There are underwater and gliding bits that have minor changes to speed and control.

That seems pretty light to me. Very standard changes for a Mario Kart sequel. Hey, he could be wrong and they make more of a difference. In that case, you can disregard his reviews in the future. If you like Mario Kart, the game will be fine. If you don't, it's rather average (which was his rating, after all). Obviously the numerical score was low exactly so we could all have a nice good outcry about it, but I think that's really the only reason numerical scores even exist these days.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Mario Kart these days is sixteen new tracks, sixteen old tracks, a gimmick or two, a few new items, and people complaining about some change to battle mode.

It is fantastic for what it is.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    It's not really worth arguing about. As I said I fail to see what the Wii or Cube ones did that was so new and fresh either. Let alone the DS one which was pretty bog standard, but that really shouldn't be used as a criticism.

• Options
    DS brought the seperation of character stats and kart stats (Double Dash started it but didn't go as far) and Wii brought bikes and automatic mode.

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    I'm glad they got rid of two-seated karts and motorcycles. Back to basics.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    People have been complaining about innovation since DD. Mario Kart has always been about subtle but significant iteration. I find it perfectly fine because it's always fun.

reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    When I read that review, I refused to scroll to the comments. But I do see his point, and as someone mentioned a game like Diddy Kong Racing really did bring a lot of innovation to the genre. The only thing that bothered me about the review was it was so blinding negative, that it didn't really discuss anything like track design compared to previous iterations. Also he really tends to rip on the 3DS online capabilities in general, rightfully so, but then once a game comes out that supposedly has a pretty robust online mode, it isn't really mentioned.

But, yup I like my karts one-seaters, and although I did like the bikes, I'm glad its back to four-wheelers. I'm pumped to get my race on.

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    anyone want to preemptively swap FC's?
    Here's mine: 4682-8487-0270

• Options
    Fortunately we really don't need to! That's the beauty of the new community system. There will be one PA "friend code" and we'll all come and go from the room at will.

There's no chat, just predetermined phrases like "let's race!" but generally chat's not needed. You hop in, create a game, and others join it.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    I personally loved DD and wish theyd go back to 2 person carts

• Options
    LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Fortunately we really don't need to! That's the beauty of the new community system. There will be one PA "friend code" and we'll all come and go from the room at will.

There's no chat, just predetermined phrases like "let's race!" but generally chat's not needed. You hop in, create a game, and others join it.

Well communities will likely only hold 8 people at a time, we might need a few extra community codes when things hit their peak (At release and likely around Christmas). That and I'm sure there's some folks who won't mind a PAer dropping in while they're on Worldwide.

Plus do we know if community settings are permanent? While I'm sure most folks won't mind free-for-alls on most tracks some might want to use some of those options, and things suggest each community has a set list of tracks creating a pesudo-cup for each, when I'm sure we'll probably want voting in place most of the time.

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    It's probably still a good idea to swap friend codes with people you'd like to play with, even if you're both part of the community, so you can see when they're online and join their game from your friend list.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    LordOfMeep wrote:

Well communities will likely only hold 8 people at a time, we might need a few extra community codes when things hit their peak (At release and likely around Christmas). That and I'm sure there's some folks who won't mind a PAer dropping in while they're on Worldwide.

Plus do we know if community settings are permanent? While I'm sure most folks won't mind free-for-alls on most tracks some might want to use some of those options, and things suggest each community has a set list of tracks creating a pesudo-cup for each, when I'm sure we'll probably want voting in place most of the time.

From Nintendo's official site description:
    Worldwide online* Communities, appearing for the first time in Mario Kart 7, bring players together like never before. Join a Community to play whenever you like with groups without having to add them to your friend list - or create your own Community and have racers play by your rules.

Right from the get-go, you'll be able to join Nintendo-created Communities with their own unique rules- such as speed class or items available. Communities come in all sizes—from two players up to 100,000, and every Community has a leaderboard, giving the best players bragging rights.

Not sure whether a given community is hard-coded at creation to have one rule set only, but the rest seems good.

The fact that they have leaderboards and support 100,000 people leads me to believe there's more to it than one single rule set.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Pretty sure there's no actual limit to how many people can join a community. Nintendo PR mentioned 100,000 players as an example somewhere.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    And I find it hard to believe that they'd only allow one race to be going on at a given time within a community, if they support that many people. Can you imagine one race at a time with 99,992 spectators?

People who have played this early say that there's no community admin. The creator doesn't have special rights. That leads me to believe that either a community is a set-in-stone rule set and everyone in that community races that way every time, or it's just a name and a logo and anyone within it can propose a race of any type.

I wish we knew more but there is surprisingly very little info about them.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Ehhhh, not too surprising that Nintendo is quiet about anything related to online functionality.

I wish I had a 3DS.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Well, it sounds like you set the items available and the gametype that every race in the community will use. That means we'll, at the very least, need two communities (race and battle), and probably more if some people want to play with items off or bananas only, whatever.

We probably need to designate someone to create the communities, but if we don't know how they work or what options will be available, then we'll need to discuss it after people have the game anyway.

• Options
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    YUP. AND I guess there was a contest where you could win a couple of them, though I forget where I saw that. Snazzy!

• Options
    Thanks to Cyber Monday and a Google Offers deal, I ended up spending $43 on a computer upgrade at Newegg that I expected to cost $90, so I totally have this game pre-ordered now.

But it's not going to get here until Wednesday after release (Tuesday at the earliest) because Nintendo insists on releasing games on Sundays. Thanks :x

• Options
    Giant Bomb has given it a 3/5, but it lets you down gently.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I'd have probably bought a previous mk turned into 3d so unless they've made the game worse in some way it doesn't matter

but then clearly the reviews aren't for me

• Options
    With most Nintendo franchises, it's a safe bet that you will enjoy the sequel if you enjoyed any of the other games.

The company operates in such a contradictory manner. Bold moves in hardware, but basically churns out the same games each generation (with few, but notable exceptions).

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    I know it

and I love it

• Options
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    With most Nintendo franchises, it's a safe bet that you will enjoy the sequel if you enjoyed any of the other games.

The company operates in such a contradictory manner. Bold moves in hardware, but basically churns out the same games each generation (with few, but notable exceptions).

You do realize every successful (and some non successful) game companies do the exact same thing? Nintendo is just better at it.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    You do realize that most of everything business-wise operates in the same exact way, right?

No, the concept of "Play it safe." is not new to me. It's just funny that Nintendo only seems to take the big risks on hardware.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    We're getting far afield but I'd call Wii Fit fairly risky. You could make a case for the entire Wii-X and most of their early DS games as well.

• Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    Can we leave the company politics out?

Feelin' the itch. I can tell. Watching those videos had me in disgust. "Where'd you learn to race?!"

The Communities thing is brilliant and something Nintendo needs to embrace fully going into every game. I'd love to join a community even if I didn't possess the game.

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    The guys at GAF who have the game confirm that a different community is needed for each rule set. Thus there will be a "PA - All" community, "PA - Shells," PA - Bananas," PA - Bombs," PA - Mushrooms," "PA - None," and different ones for battle modes.

You share a 14 digit code to people so that they can join the community (room, really).

You cannot browse rooms and randomly join one (other than "recommended" rooms which I believe are Nintendo sponsored).

The leaderboards are reset once every month.

You do have a recently played list and you can quick join people from the game or friends from the system menu.

• Options
    I'm assuming at this point each community will have the ability to give itself a distinguishing title to go along with the number, ala the 3DS code system itself.

And I'm also guessing you'll be able to change the Item settings even after the community is created. Would be cool to have weekly tourneys where the items change week to week.

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    Yes to individual names (and descriptions too I think), but apparently no, you can't change the item settings.

The reason being that nobody is an admin or operator of the community room. Any number of games could be going on at once, any number of people could be attempting to change the rules at once. In sufficiently large communities, you wouldn't be able to tell which rules would be in effect at any given time.

• Options
    That shit is Bananas.P-A