As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sparks On] Mario Kart 7! Community codes now in second post!

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    If they really wanted to they could reskin the levels and make them pretty awesome. As such SC has the best short tracks in the series.

I'd say overall though DS has pound for pound the best original tracks.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    Ehhh I can't get excited over how well placed the corners and curves are.

That's the most exciting part!

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Ehhh I can't get excited over how well placed the corners and curves are.

That's the most exciting part!

Only if the actual racing is important to you.

• Options
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Ahahaha what the hell was that

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    The cruiseship is like the worst track ever.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    I updated the OP with a track list for anyone who didn't already know it.

SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I want Mario Kart with all tracks ever. That would be bomb diggity.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Wow, I assume eight tracks have different names in the US and Europe? That's going to be... awkward to say the least.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Chen wrote:
    Wow, I assume eight tracks have different names in the US and Europe? That's going to be... awkward to say the least.

Half the vehicles in Mario Kart Wii had different names, it made discussions on kart/bike balance... interesting. Thankfully only one kart chassis (Birthday Girl/Royal Ribbon) has a different name in 7.

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Until they get rid of rubberbanding completely, I can never enjoy a Mario Kart game.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Neo Bowser City and Rock Rock Mountain do sound kind of dumb.

Also, apparently Wiggler turns red when he's (she's/it's?) hit, haha. :^:

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    What? Already???? But I just beat Skyward Sword Nintendo! And I still haven't 100% Mario Land 3D....stop raping my wallet!

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Until they get rid of rubberbanding completely, I can never enjoy a Mario Kart game.

Not unlike saying that until none of the enemies have abilities that I don't have, I can never enjoy any given action game.

It's called a challenge, and not even a very difficult one at that. I'm not very good at Mario Kart and always get beat online, yet I never have any trouble beating 150cc and mirror. It seems disingenuous to blame your failures on something like that, anyway.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MK DS and Wii had decent diffculty in 150cc and Mirror. DD also got hard during the all course mode.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    MK DS and Wii had decent diffculty in 150cc and Mirror. DD also got hard during the all course mode.

I found most of the difficulty was staying ahead of the pack long enough to appease the ranking god for unlocks, at least after I found my groove.

I didn't find all cup tour all that hard at all. I often did well enough early on that it became mathematically impossible for me to get below gold eventually. But by then I had pretty much made Double Dash snaking into an artform, so there's that.

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    That's the only saving grace about the all cup; the AI is a notch above regular 150 cc but you should put out more than enough wins to get through even the toughest courses.

Also I don't care how awesome your snaking skills are (I'm pretty great at it in DD) you can never guarantee a win in Baby Park.

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    AH baby park *SHUDDER*

Even though I cherish the SNES original, I have to admit nothing makes me rage like the AI in that game. I love it when the computer shoots a shell or uses a star, and then immediately feathers over an obstacle.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    The worst part about MK64 was the fact that if you had more than two people, there was no music.

Terrible. Absolutely terrible.

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    You didn't need music because you'd be yelling and/or laughing at each other the entire time. MK64 still has the best battle mode hands down. How they keep fucking it up in every sequel I just don't know.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    In Smash Bros terms, by having time matches only and no stock matches.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    I think the old one had the best battle-mode. It only had 4 tracks, counting the shitty ice one, but there was hours of fun to be had.

I think A LOT of it had to do with the fact that by the second half of the match there was 20 green shells bouncing around, and it became an intense struggle for survival more than anything. I always thought that with the huge leaps in graphics and hardware, they would've tried to replicate this element with an increase in the number of moving objects, and improved physics. But nope.

• Options
    Here's some online play by someone who isn't as grotesquely awful at the game as the GameKyo guy.

SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I wonder if it's still possible in that old Mario track to use a mushroom to boost off the jump straight to the finish line. I hope so.

Wow that melody course is pretty rad. Really makes the retro courses look sparse by comparison. I wish they would have spiced up the older tracks a bit more to make em more interesting, but they're still good tracks so they'll still be fun.

How do you trick in this game? I hope its not a shake haha I have a wobbly hinge already.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    The music course is bad ass!

So, for some discussion: when we have our PA community, what sort of item spread do you think you'll typically prefer?

The choices are all items, shells only (green, red and blue), bananas only, mushrooms only, bob-ombs only, or none.

Personally I don't mind most of the items so I don't think I'd enjoy none or just mushrooms. I think shells only sounds fun because of the way they've fixed up the blue shell. It's a good combination of one item to help those who are further behind, one item to help you climb the middle ranks, and one that's mostly good to hold behind you for defense. :)

And bob-ombs only could be pretty wild.

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    What's everyone's favourite Mario Kart short-cut?

I think mine is near the end of the Donkey Kong circuit on MK64, where you can either drive to the right and slowly to the left up the include and out of the cave, or risk drifting and boosting half-way up the incline, cutting the corner. If you slow to a crawl there or stop completely on the last lap of a tight 4-player multiplayer it is heart-wrenching, but in my opinion there is no greater place than there to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    That 2nd course was amaaaazing. Man, so excited for some Mario Kart.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I like the shortcut in SMK in the first ghost house that you needed a feather or shroom to clear the gap. It was a simple move, and it only cut off a fraction of the track, but it felt glorious to sneak a victory in that way, or better yet smash into another driver gassing towards the finish line, sending them careening off the course.

• Options
    Shells only doesn't sound bad. They've fixed Blue Shells enough that I can deal with them being the only power item in play, and lightning is so obnoxious that I wouldn't mind playing games with toned down items. Bananas only sounds extremely boring, you'd have almost no way of beating someone with a sizable lead. Bombs only could be fun, if nothing else it would teach you how to aim the things consistently in regular play. Mushrooms only sounds more fun than no items, basically a "how many shortcuts do you know/can use consistently?" game.

So basically shells only is the closest thing to the "Strategic" option in Mario Kart Wii, which was my favorite item setting.

SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    More video of online play.

The Mantiz on
    3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote:
    What's everyone's favourite Mario Kart short-cut?

I think mine is near the end of the Donkey Kong circuit on MK64, where you can either drive to the right and slowly to the left up the include and out of the cave, or risk drifting and boosting half-way up the incline, cutting the corner. If you slow to a crawl there or stop completely on the last lap of a tight 4-player multiplayer it is heart-wrenching, but in my opinion there is no greater place than there to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.

I forget the track name (one of the Chocolate Island ones), but in one SMK track, if you had the feather you could turn right after you crossed the line, jump the wall, and 'complete' the next lap in about fifteen seconds.
    It was a bug rarther than a real shortcut, but I got one very satisfying victory against a friend that way, so it's my favourite.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Yes! Return of the excellent MKWii online rolling lobby system.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Yeah I forgot that coins are back. This makes me happy.

I didn't care for them in Super Mario Kart, but I like them here. Maybe it's the little zip of speed you get with each one...
    LordOfMeep wrote:
    You forgot
    Rainbow Road

True, though in my defense, I hadn't played that one until earlier this evening, and I don't remember much boasting about that in the same way.
    This is also now my favorite Rainbow Road ever.
    In fact I think even the first place person can do it if they have a mushroom(?).

Yeah, but good luck getting and holding on to a mushroom while in first place.
    I want Mario Kart with all tracks ever. That would be bomb diggity.

I'd love to see an Ultimate Mario Kart: all tracks, all drivers, all items (customizable at a Super Smash Bros. level in ALL modes), and all cars, including motorcycles, Double Dash!! karts, and these new Batmobile/Gadgetmobile/Spy Hunter type deals.
    Chen wrote:
    Neo Bowser City and Rock Rock Mountain do sound kind of dumb.

I thought so about Neo Bowser City as well, but I wound up liking it a lot, and Rock Rock Mountain isn't bad, either.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    How does everybody have this game already.

• Options
    Cool interview!

I'm also glad to hear that Retro DID have a hand in designing new courses as well. It seemed like it would've been a waste of their involvement if they weren't allowed to contribute to the new tracks too.

• Options
    The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    How does everybody have this game already.

Apparently a lot of retailers broke the street date, in Switzerland of all places. It has been on sale there since Friday.

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • Options
    Sterling ripped MK7 pretty hard on Destuctoid haha!!! It's a good review, and prob right on a lot of accounts, from the perspective of someone who doesn't just want a sequel to MKDS.

• Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Sterling ripped MK7 pretty hard on Destuctoid haha!!! It's a good review, and prob right on a lot of accounts, from the perspective of someone who doesn't just want a sequel to MKDS.

Why would you look at a game called Mario Kart 7 and expect it to be an innovative and new experience

Mario Kart 7 treads familiar ground and focuses on tweaking rather than reinventing, and that's just fine. While there are no major revelations or surprises, this is still a gorgeously produced package that gives kart racing fans exactly what they want.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    The video in this review is so damn smooth. I didn't expect it to look like that.