As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sparks On] Mario Kart 7! Community codes now in second post!

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Now that I think about it, Nintendo usually is the company that's responsible for shaping most (if no all) of gaming today. The 64 alone did things that most gamers either take for granted or are second nature to game design.

I like to think of their franchises as Arbiters for their perpetuals and concepts to catch on. I'm pretty sure simple concepts like control rumble or Z-targeting wouldn't have caught on as quick if it wasn't for driving-force titles like Starfox 64 or Zelda: OOT

Godfather on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Man why all thw MKWii hate? It was my favorite, and remains the only item on wii in which I've seen Online play actually work.

And I play with the Wiimote attached to the steering wheel.

Like a MAN.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I don't hate the Wii version, but its sits just outside my top 3 MarioKarts. Judging by what kind of MK I like, I think this new one will make the top three cut.

1.SNES
    2.DS
    3.GBA
    4.Wii
    6.GC

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Pretty sure all items will be just fine for most folks here. I mean since every MK game is the same thing after all we should all be well practiced with the art of the graceful loss.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Edge gave it a 9/10. Very good review.
    Nintendo has clearly been experimenting with how to better exploit its system’s obvious potential, and its solution is a natural, graceful implementation of 3D that complements and even improves its games, rather than feeling tacked on. It’s a delicate balance, and one it’s struck twice: once with its hardware, and again by elegantly intertwining Mario Kart 7’s numerous mechanics into a coherent, balanced whole, making for the most rewarding racing experience since that beloved SNES original. As a package – with its wealth of courses, characters and customisation options, its time trials and online modes – this surely beats it. Nintendo may have taken its time producing the game – when doesn’t it? – but never has the wait for a new Mario Kart been so worth it.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    Mario Kart is the best worst game on the inverse Sterling standard, I feel quite comfortable postulating.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • Options
    LordOfMeepLordOfMeep Registered User regular
    Found some good online gameplay vids searching for the game name in Japanese.

Also found this, which is Mario Kart Wii, but I found it funny.

SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hearing Mario yell "I'm gonna get you!" is horrifying.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Hearing Mario yell "I'm gonna get you!" is horrifying.

My favorite has always been "Okay, but Mario get you next time! :winky:"

SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    I'm glad the babies are gone. Good riddance to the ear-bleeding screaming, not to mention the humiliation from losing to toddlers.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Chen wrote:
    I'm glad the babies are gone. Good riddance to the ear-bleeding screaming, not to mention the humiliation from losing to toddlers.
    Now you get to lose to
    nerdy turtles, corpulent bee women, and caterpillars designed for pre-school books.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Uh... people were saying the blue shell was like in 64, but that video CLEARLY shows otherwise.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    It'll be weird seeing a Lakuta driving instead of starting a race and fishing you out. Wiggler however is awesome. Metal Mario gives me T-1000 vibes which is both a good and a bad thing. Bee queen whatever, meh. Could have been worse, could have been Birdo.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Uh... people were saying the blue shell was like in 64, but that video CLEARLY shows otherwise.

It still flies but it flies low enough to the ground to hit everyone. It behaves mostly like it did in 64.

• Options
    Chen wrote:
    Now you get to lose to
    nerdy turtles, corpulent bee women, and caterpillars designed for pre-school books.

And the Miis will make your ears bleed with their Not!Snoopy voices and the fact that tons of people will play them for the "I'm in Mario Kart!" appeal.

SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    I loved the Mii character in Mario Kart Wii.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    So apparently there can be multiple groups playing in one community. It was thought that you couldn't, but there just haven't been enough simultaneous players until now:

qeeJH.jpg

We might only need a couple groups after all. All items on, maybe some of the optional item sets, and balloon battle mode.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well one of the permanent options for communities is the cc speed, though I'm sure most will stick to 150cc races, there's also an option for Mirror, so I'm sure there'll be some split there. Kinda wish you could make communities randomly choose between 150cc and Mirror like high-rank rooms in MKWii tended to do.

Also don't forget Coin Runners, which is much better suited to Nintendo's insistence on timed battle mode games, IMO.

That's really great to hear that communities support multiple games though.

Edit: Your image link is broke by the way, Sporky. Might wanna fix that.

LordOfMeep on
    SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    Man why all thw MKWii hate? It was my favorite, and remains the only item on wii in which I've seen Online play actually work.

And I play with the Wiimote attached to the steering wheel.

Like a MAN.

it was my favorite as well. I played online so so so much.

I really liked the bikes

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    I knew it. It really doesn't make sense to have communities with 100,000 players where only 8 can play at once, but there's always that doubt in the back of your mind saying "well, this IS Nintendo..."

At the very least we need All Items, No Items and Battle (Balloon Battle and Coin Runners if they're separate?)

There's no way to obscure text so that only registered members can see it, is there? It wouldn't be a big deal if lurkers joined us, but if there's no way to kick or ban griefers, there could be trouble.

• Options
    There's no way to obscure text so that only registered members can see it, is there? It wouldn't be a big deal if lurkers joined us, but if there's no way to kick or ban griefers, there could be trouble.

Nope, spoilers can still be seen by unregistered visitors, so that's out. Griefing in Mario Kart is pretty tricky anyway. If you spend like 15-30 seconds doing something other than "go forward" you get kicked anyway.

SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    When we had a shared stash account for storing items in Diablo 2, we just passed around the login info via PM. We could do the same if it's a huge problem.

But the 3DS isn't hacked yet so I don't anticipate hackers at least, and I'm not sure what other form a griefer could take. Always choosing the worst course for random pick, maybe.

• Options
    pirateluigipirateluigi Arr, it be me. Registered User regular
    When we had a shared stash account for storing items in Diablo 2, we just passed around the login info via PM. We could do the same if it's a huge problem.

But the 3DS isn't hacked yet so I don't anticipate hackers at least, and I'm not sure what other form a griefer could take. Always choosing the worst course for random pick, maybe.

As long as no one considers choosing Wiggler and only Wiggler as griefing... cuz that's totally what I plan on doing.

http://www.danreviewstheworld.com
    Nintendo Network ID - PirateLuigi 3DS: 3136-6586-7691
    G&T Grass Type Pokemon Gym Leader, In-Game Name: Dan
  • Options
    Actually that's a great idea. We should have "one character only" races from time to time!

Today is a designated Donkey Kong only day.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Huh. The Lightning Bolt effect is so brief they may as well have left that item out of the game entirely.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    They exist to strip items away from you right before getting hit by a blue shell and to screw you over while flying over bottomless pits.

SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    How does everybody have this game already.

For review. :D
    LordOfMeep wrote:
    And the Miis will make your ears bleed with their Not!Snoopy voices and the fact that tons of people will play them for the "I'm in Mario Kart!" appeal.

I like using the Mii, and I'm glad I could unlock it this time, unlike MKWii. Unfortunately, it's likely to be the only character I unlock...

...Snoopy? Didn't think of that one-- it just sounded like Yoshi to me.
    LordOfMeep wrote:

Nope, spoilers can still be seen by unregistered visitors, so that's out. Griefing in Mario Kart is pretty tricky anyway. If you spend like 15-30 seconds doing something other than "go forward" you get kicked anyway.

...what's "griefing?"
    LordOfMeep wrote:
    They exist to strip items away from you right before getting hit by a blue shell and to screw you over while flying over bottomless pits.

My favorite is when it hit me inside one of those turbo tunnel-blaster things, and it basically counted that as me falling into a pit.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Well, I've seen 2 methods of "griefing" thus far in Mario Kart Wii, and only through other videos.

They all involve deliberately hanging out on one area on the track, preferably one with item boxes, and hitting anyone who comes your way, interfering with the race.

A friend showed me a video of someone mimicking the Mii-driven car obstacles on Coconut Mall, but I can't find the video myself. It was pretty funny, though. "I was just doing what they did!"

SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    HHMMmm reports of snaking on Tiny Cartridge.

Doesn't really bother me IF it is true, seems like too much work for too little reward.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    HHMMmm reports of snaking on Tiny Cartridge.

Doesn't really bother me IF it is true, seems like too much work for too little reward.

All reports indicate that there is no snaking, just like MKWii.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    He's talking about these two videos:

The first one doesn't look like it'll save you from a chaingank, the second one looks like "I took ALL the turns in this large area! CLEARLY IM SNAKING." Really the flight shortcut is more interesting.

SpaceGarSig.png
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    Do coins actually make you go faster now? If so, that's some serious SNES Mario Kart action.

• Options
    I'm not sure if it increases your overall speed, but I thought I heard it gives you a quick instantaneous boost. (which is also pretty cool)

Yup, that first vid shows him outracing a ghost by doing it on a straightaway, though its kinda unclear how much of an upperhand it is giving.

• Options
    Coins raise max acceleration just like SMK and SC. It maxes out at ten.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Mmm, that first video is clearly snaking. I'm totally out if snaking is back, it ruined MKDS for me :/

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    http://mariokart7.nintendo.com/karts/gameplay/

also that is clearly not snaking, those are chained together blue boosts. You try that shit in MK Wii and people will get ahead of you. Since this is practicially the same drift mechanics it won't be an issue.

• Options
    Metal Mario is Mario's rival?

What?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Metal Mario is Mario's rival?

What?

They kinda Metal Sonic'd him in the original Super Smash Bros.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    This comes out Sunday right?
    Knight_ wrote:
    Mmm, that first video is clearly snaking. I'm totally out if snaking is back, it ruined MKDS for me :/

Learn to wiggle left and right?

I was really worried about snaking when I picked up MK DS, then. I realized it was just knowing how to boost speed like in MK64

• Options
    Europeans will be talking about this game in this thread soon and I'll be all jealous and shit.